Chapter 3

Sun-kissed

They left the hospital the following morning around 3AM, unseen by the paparazzi waiting outside.  When Youngbae and his manager reached the dorms, the rest of the band members were still asleep, except for Jiyong, who greeted them at the door. Kwon Jiyong, also known by the stage name 'G-Dragon', was Youngbae's best friend since they were YG trainees almost ten years ago.  A few months younger than him, Jiyong was the leader of their group, a rapper/singer, a producer, and a fashion icon in the music industry.  He was around 5'8", a couple of inches taller than Youngbae, with a lean build and angelic face. He had on baby blue stripped skinny pajama bottoms and his cotton colored, voluminous, hair was hidden under a red sleeveless studded hoodie. His slippers resembled a pair of sharpeis - both named after his own sharpeis, Gaho and Jolie.  The outfit would have looked crazy on another person, but Jiyong wore it with style. 

"Jiyong, I didn't think you'd still be up this late," said Youngbae as Boram wheeled him into the dorm.  The dorm was a large apartment that all Big Bang members shared with their managers.  On this floor, Youngbae shared quarters with band member, Kang Daesung, and their respective managers.  Jiyong lived a few floors above with their youngest Big Bang member, Lee Seunghyn, a.k.a. Seungri.  And the oldest Big Bang member, Choi Seunghyun a.k.a. TOP, lived with the remaining managers on another floor in the building.  Other YG artists, such as girl group, 2NE1, also lived in the same building but on different floors. Having the artists live together within walking distance of the YG building, not only made it convenient for work but it also made them feel close like family.

The dorm had gleaming wood floors throughout. Immediately to your right was a spacious living area with large floor to ceiling windows which faced the Han River.  The living space was filled with deep black leather sectionals pushed up against the wall.  Two large orange bean bag couches rested in front of the large LCD television the boys shared.  Gaming consoles and electronic gear lined the TV stand.  The modern kitchen and dining area was to the left and was rarely used, except for fixing simple meals.

"I found out they were bringing you back tonight, so I waited," Jiyong replied, "otherwise I was going to head back up to the hospital again.  How are you feeling, because you look like crap."

Youngbae smiled.  Jiyong always knew how to make him smile and focus on the brighter side of life because everyone knew how much he liked to worry.  "I'm pretty sore, but the doctor said I should be healed within 2-3 weeks.  I'm glad that was our last show - I'd hate to think what you would have done had that been the first show instead.  I will be careful and do better next time."

"Nonsense, it was an accident." Moments passed as Jiyong replayed the accident and re-lived the moment in his mind when he rushed over to his friend and found him unresponsive.  He swallowed a lump in his throat and blinked rapidly before facing Youngbae.  A silent understanding passed between the two friends as Jiyong placed his hand on Youngbae's shoulder.  "I'm glad you're back home bro.  I'll let you get some rest and catch up with you tomorrow."

Youngbae clasped his friend's hand before he could take his leave.  "Thank you for being there for me."

Jiyong nodded and walked out.


It felt good to be back in his own bed, thought Youngbae as he rested underneath his black/white plaid and yellow-striped comforter.  It was the only place that he could always be completely himself - the only serenity that allowed him to feel relaxed enough to dream. His Boston terrier, Boss, lay asleep on top of the covers, next to his right thigh.  Moonlight filtered through the window panes and casted light against his rose-print wallpaper.  The girly decor contrasted greatly against the other masculine items in the room, but it was put up by his mother so he left it alone.  It brought him happiness to see her soft little touches around the room because he didn't get to see her too often.

His room was the largest in the dorm.  From where he lay, Youngbae could see the shelving unit along the back wall that housed all his music CDs and coveted baseball caps.  Next to that was a small bookcase where he kept his figurine collections and gifts/artwork from fans.  He had a small armoire next to his bed, where he kept his music awards and most personal items and accessories.  At the foot of the bed was the entry towards the walk-in closet, which was starting to become overstuffed with too many shoes, white tanks, and t-shirts.  He needed to recycle some of his clothing or donate them away - yes, as soon as he got better that's what he would do, he thought.  What else could he do in the meantime?  Although the pain in his leg had numbed with the medication, he didn't know if there would be any lasting affects from the skin and muscle surgery.  His mind began to run over the events for several more minutes before exhaustion finally pulled him under.

"Hyung?" Seungri said as he entered the room as quietly as he could.  Youngbae could see peeps of sunlight making its way through his room as he opened his eyes. Had he slept at all?  It felt like only moments before when he closed his eyes, thought Youngbae. The maknae was dressed to the nines this morning.  He had on dark-washed boot cut jeans with a button-downed white collared shirt and a grey merino wool vest with matching tie.  His sleeves were rolled halfway up and his ink-black hair was styled with flair. 

"Seungri," Youngbae groggily replied.  "You're unusually up early. Where you heading out to?"

"I have a radio show I need to go to this morning for my solo promo.  I planned on cancelling it, with your accident and all, but they're making me go.  I hope you don't mind."

"You're asking me? After you're all dressed and ready to go?"

"Yeah," said Seungri, grinning sheepishly, as he sat relaxed near the foot of the bed.

"No, I don't mind at all.  Just be careful of what you say at the show, alright? We're still recovering from your last playboy scandal and many people still think you need time to reflect."

"Aish.." said Seungri defensively, as he scrunches up his face. "You know it wasn't like that. How was I supposed to know that girl would snap pictures of me like that and sell them to a newspaper?"

"I know... but you're going to be by yourself, so just be prepared."

"Thank you Hyung. I'll be on my guard.  I'm glad you got released early.  As you know, we planned on throwing a party to celebrate the end of our tour and to thank the band and staff members for their part in our success.  They'll be so glad to know you'll be there."

"I don't know if I'll be able to attend.  The doctor said 2-3 weeks before full recovery, so I don't know..." Youngbae said dishearteningly.

Trying to cheer his older band member up, MC Seungri went into full swing.  He whipped out an imaginary microphone.  "How extensive are your injuries? Will you be able to dance again? You know, this could be the end of Big Bang if you can't recover. Who's going to tear off their shirt on-stage, if you're not there? I mean, there's still Daesung... but that face.  It's like caviar... you need to have an acquired taste."

"Ya! You shouldn't say that about your hyung... even jokingly.  Especially since he probably has more fans than you now," reprimanded Youngbae. "But thank you for trying to make me feel better.  I just need time to reflect as well, I guess."

"Cheer up hyung.  I'll have to plan something fun for you to occupy your mind.  If you're left alone, you'll just think yourself to death."  After a dramatic pause, Seungri chimed in. "Oh, I know the perfect thing to make you heal faster... it's guaranteed to work!"

"Oh yeah? And what's that?"

"A hot y nurse!" And with that, the maknae sauntered off and shut the door behind him before Youngbae's pillow could reach its destination.  The pillow bounced off harmlessly against the closed door, and Seungri's laughter could be heard in the hallway and beyond.


Amina stood in front of a plain brick building near a quiet intersection and looked at the location she wrote down based on the instructions that Dr. Park had given her last night. Her medium length dark brown hair was pulled back into a low bun at the nape of her neck.  She kept her make-up simple - only BB cream, a quick swipe of mascara to highlight her long lashes, and a dab of her favorite peach flavored lip balm.  She was dressed in black slacks, a button-down cream top and no jewelry except for the dainty gold chain necklace she kept on her person - a gift she received when she turned sixteen from her grandmother. 

This was standard work attire, which Amina kept simpler than usual today, since she didn't know who her patient was.  For all she knew, it could be some rich old lady who got offended easily by other people's mannerisms or attire.  Amina needed this job to replenish her savings account, so she'd play the part until the assignment was over.  A cold gust of wind whipped past her.  She hugged her black winter A-line pea coat closer to her body and checked her phone again.  It was almost 9AM and still no sign of Dr. Park.  What to do... what to do? thought Amina.

Just then, her phone vibrated.  It was a text message from Dr. Park.  "Amina-shi... I had an operation that ran late.  I'll be there in about 30 minutes.  Please proceed without me and I'll catch up with you when I get there." 

Tucking her phone back into her messenger bag, Amina walked towards the building's entrance. She buzzed the intercom and after identifying herself, the security guard let her in. Once the elevator carried her up to the 4th floor, she stepped out into an empty long corridor.  There was only one door available and it appeared to belong to the only apartment that occupied the entire floor.  Nervously, Amina re-checked her bag and supplies and made sure everything was in order.  Male laughter could be heard from within. Taking a deep breath, Amina slowly rang the apartment door bell.