Chapter 8

Sun-kissed

Amina rushed out of the dorm without a second glance and started walking.  She didn't know where she was going, only that she needed to get away and clear her mind.  Aigo.... Why did I just let that happen? She was in no position to start a relationship with someone right now.  Her life was in turmoil as it was; she didn't need anything else to complicate matters.  After walking along the Han River for several minutes, Amina sat down on a nearby park bench.  The peaceful waters contrasted against  the roiling emotions inside her, but eventually the river started to calm her nerves.   She let out a huge sigh of despair.

The crisp winter air bit at her face and chilled her to the bone, but she was oblivious to it all. Try as she might, Amina couldn't block out the look of determination she saw in Youngbae's eyes.  Nor could she forget the way he held her or how he gently coaxed her into their first kiss.  She pressed her fingers against her lips and could still taste him there.  Angrily, she wiped at it, hating herself for wanting more.  What to do now?  I still have to see him tonight and the next day.... How could I be so stupid? After nearly an hour of contemplating, Amina picked up her phone and called Hanna. She prayed her older and wiser cousin would know what to do.

Hanna picked up on the first ring.  "Yoboseyo?"

"Unnie... it's me.  Are you free right now?  I need a drink."

Aside from the unusual comment, Hanna heard desperation in Amina's voice.  "Drink? This early?  Is everything ok?"

"It's nothing... I just need to talk."

"Alright, where?"

Amina named a shop she saw from her walk and then hung up.

Thirty minutes later, Hanna walked into 5 Extracts, a roastery and cafe in the trendy Hongdae neighborhood.  The bright lights and eclectic furniture inside were oddly comforting and welcoming. Bicycle props and industrial furniture decorated the shop. She spotted Amina sitting at a table in the corner of the shop, sipping on some concoction inside a demitasse. 

"Aish! Mimi...you said drink!" Hanna said accusingly as she sat down on a iron back lawn chair.  "Where the hell are we at?"  Then in a lower tone, Hanna hissed, "The chairs don't even match!"

"Shh!" Amina laughed.  "You'll get both of us thrown out."

Hanna looked around the shop.  "Well, that would very sad," she said sarcastically, "considering we're the only ones here!"

"Oh c'mon, unnie.  I thought you liked trying out new things. Look, they even have iPads for menus," Amina spouted cheerfully, trying to lighten up Hanna's mood.

Hanna ignored the comment. Instead, she initiated a small stare down competition until Amina shifted uncomfortably. "So what's going on with you lately?" asked Hanna pointedly.

"Nothing much," Amina lied.  "I just have a lot going on with work, that's all."

"Cut the crap.  I've called and texted you several times the past couple of weeks, but you always flaked out on me.  And I swear you saw me at the furniture store a few days ago, but you didn't stop by.  And now, you call me out of the blue to meet up.  What gives?"

"How are my parents doing?" Amina asked, dodging the question.

Hanna decided to play her game for now.  "They're doing okay, I suppose.  Business is going well.  Your umma wants you back home..."

"Then she should tell me then." Amina's voice had taken a hard tone.

"You know that's not how it works.  You're the daughter.  You have to be the one that comes back."

Amina repressed her response. 

"You are coming back though, right? After your studies?" asked Hanna.

"Yes," replied Amina. "That was part of the deal.  Besides, if I don't go back it would disgrace the entire family."

Hanna nodded in relief.  She wasn't too sure of Amina's judgment nowadays, especially since they've slowly lost touch the past couple of years.  Work and school kept them both too busy to hang out regularly.  And it didn't help that Hanna felt torn between her loyalty towards her aunt and uncle, and the kinship she felt for Amina.  

"I'm sure things will work out," Hanna replied pathetically.  It was useless to argue something that was set in stone. "Have you seen or spoken to David lately?" David Lee and Amina grew up together, until he left to America to pursue his business degree.  The Lees and Euns were long-time close family friends.

 "I haven't seen him since The Ball." Amina continued, "I have no idea what's going on with him nowadays... for all I know, he could be bringing someone home with him the next time we meet."

"Or he could turn out to be gay," Hanna smartly remarked.

Amina smiled.  "One can always pray..."

A barista walked by and asked Hanna if she wanted to order.  "Umm... sure, " she replied, touching the pages on the iPad screen frantically.  "I'll have a.... coffee, straight up."

The barista stared at her in disbelief. Amina interrupted his thoughts and said, "No, she'll have the house special, thanks." He nodded and left to fill her order.

"You can't order black coffee in a coffee house!" Amina scolded.  "That's like.... a sin or something.  You can get black coffee anywhere! I'm never inviting you out for drinks again," Amina muttered.

Hanna chuckled. "Well, excuse me.  These weren't exactly the drinks I had in mind when you called me."  She paused.  "And you know I don't drink coffee, so you said that on purpose to get me here.  What else are you hiding?"

Amina took her time sipping her drink.  She re-smoothed the napkin in her lap. "Like I said earlier, it's work related."

The barista returned with Hanna's drink, but she left it untouched as she watched Amina fold and un-fold her napkin, smoothing it out once again.  "Mimi! Could you please stop tormenting that napkin?  I've never seen you so worked up like this before... you've always been the calm and cool one between the two of us.  Something's up.  Spill it!" demanded Hanna.

Hanna was right.  Amina was making a  bigger mess of the situation.  "I met someone," she quietly confessed.

"Someone... like who?" Hanna asked, trying to be patient, but she saw the guilt that was ridden all over Amina's face. "Oh no, Mimi!" cried Hanna too loudly.  "Don't tell me you slept with them!" A loud clinking crash of coffee cups came from the backroom.

"Whaaat?" exclaimed Amina.  "No... don't be so dramatic. I didn't sleep with anybody! And please keep your voice down!" hissed Amina, looking around the cafe with care.

"Psh.. we're probably the best business they'll receive for the rest of the day," replied Hanna, waving her hand with indifference.  "So what's the big deal? You like a guy," she stated matter of factly.  "Do you think he knows?"

Disgusted with herself, Amina replied, "I'm sure he does now."

"And why is this a bad thing?"

"You know why.  I don't want to start something that I know won't end well." 

"Look Mimi... I know you want to do what's proper, but you can't live in fear like this."  Hanna reached out her hand and placed it on top of Amina's.  "You need to let your heart feel what it wants to feel.  Otherwise, one day you'll wake up feeling nothing but regret."

"And what about the other person?  What do I tell them?"

"When the time comes," Hanna replied solemnly, "you'll find the words to say it. And if it turns out to be love... " she paused sadly, "then you'll just learn to let go."

A few minutes later, the girls walked out of the cafe so Hanna could return to work.  "It's getting cold. Are you sure you don't need a ride somewhere?" asked Hanna.  "My next meeting isn't for another hour."  She was meeting with Jiyong to go over the final prints for the fashion layout. Ah Jiyong!  The man drove her crazy.  Hanna could feel the anxiety build up inside her.  She wished her house special blend would have been a mojito instead, because she could go for a stiff drink right about now.

"No, I'm good.  I'm just going to swing by the hospital and drop off my reports for Dr. Park."  They turned to embrace one another. 

"Promise to meet up soon, okay?" urged Hanna.

"Promise."

"And you'll have to let me know how it goes with you and your mystery man," said Hanna mischievously.

Amina wistfully smiled.  "Yes, I will.  Annyeong."


The hospital was bustling as usual when Amina arrived later that afternoon.  As she approached Dr. Park's office, Amina could see stacks of papers and files neatly piled around the desk.  Dr. Park was still on the phone with a patient, but motioned for Amina to enter.  Amina quietly bowed and mouthed her greeting, while Dr. Park nodded in response.  She hung up the phone shortly thereafter.

"Amina-shi...  Tell me, how is the assignment going so far?  Please let me see the vitals."

Amina handed over her reports and watched as Dr. Park scanned her markings.  "Mmm hmm... this looks good," Dr. Park murmured to herself.  "So, what do you think? How would you go about the rest of the treatment?"

Amina her lips nervously.  She wasn't prepared to give a consultation today.  "I would say... that the sutures are holding well and are dissolving on their own quite nicely.  There seems to be no signs of infection and the coloration seems good." Amina paused as she remembered Youngbae's groans during the bandage changes... some in pain, others in pleasure.  She cleared .  "And sensation appears to have resumed at the recipient site. Overall, there seems to be no adverse affects of the tissue transplant."

Dr. Park nodded her agreement and Amina seized upon the moment. "Since the leg is healing faster than we originally predicted, I would recommend cutting down some of the daily visits to only once a day the rest of this week."

June lifted her eyebrows upon hearing Amina's recommendation.  It was bold considering the type of surgery that was performed and the fact that they were only on day three, of a normal 7-10 day recovery period. "I will consider it, once I've visited the patient with you tonight." 

Amina nodded, her mind racing for anything that would get her out of the appointment later that night.  She knew it was cowardly, but she couldn't face Youngbae so soon after this morning.  "Would it be alright if I did not accompany you this evening?  I'm not feeling too well at the moment," Amina half-lied. 

"Oh? Do you need to be checked out?"

"No.. I, um... think the weather just got to me.  I'll be fine.  I just need to nurse it tonight and should be better tomorrow."

"Alright, let me know if I need to prescribe you anything."

"Kamsahamnida, sunbaenim. Annyeong."  Amina quickly bowed and left the office.  She was grateful that Dr. Park allowed her a reprieve from tonight's duties. She wanted to use this time to sort out her emotions before she saw Youngbae again.

Amina almost made it out of the hospital before Yuri stopped her near the elevators.

"Unnie!  You're in the office?  I heard you were on an assignment."  Yuri's face was vibrant and innocent.  She didn't appear to have any cares or worries in the world.  Amina envied her life.

"I just came back in to drop off the reports. How are things going around here?"

"Eh... same ol' same ol'.  But you'll never guess what!  Guess?!"  exclaimed Yuri.

Amina couldn't help but smile at the excitement in Yuri's eyes.  She apologetically replied, "I have no idea..."

"I heard on the radio this afternoon that Big Bang will be honoring the back-stage passes for VIPs that didn't get to attend last Saturday.  They're having a small meet and greet and grouping us for workshops.  Then they'll be performing a couple of songs for us!  It'll be like a private show... Ahhh!!!"

Visitors and patients walking around them stopped and stared.  "Shhh...," Amina smiled while motioning for Yuri to comply.  "They'll think you're crazy."

"Oh, but I am!  I'm so crazy in love... I can't believe my luck!  Aren't you excited?"

"Me?"

"Yes!  You have to go with me this time," Yuri urged.

"Oh no Yuri.  That's alright.  You don't have to take me.  I'm sure Danny would want to go with you again."

"No, no, no... I promised I would take you to your first Big Bang concert, and that's exactly what I'm going to do. Besides, don't you want to see Taeyang up close and personal?  I think he'll be there too... all the VIPs are saying that he'll be healed enough to make an appearance."  A determined glint was in Yuri's eyes.  Amina knew she couldn't refuse without raising any suspicions.

"Alright, when is it?"

"This Thursday, around 6 pm, at the Blue Square Musical Hall.  I'll meet you here." 


Youngbae was on cloud nine all afternoon.  His body couldn't stop humming with excitement and he found himself unable to sit still for very long.  He kept shimmying his shoulders and bouncing his un-injured leg up and down, much to the annoyance of Boram. And that smile... All day, Boram caught Youngbae smiling to himself when he thought no one was looking.  "Aish... what's up with you?  You look like a kid in a candy store.  Good news about your album?"

"What?" Youngbae replied absent-mindedly.  He tried to recall the question.

"Your album, good news?" 

"Oh, neh...," he smiled and nodded.  "Teddy hyung called earlier this morning about some tracks he's laying down for me.  I think we're getting close." He nodded his head... over and over again.  Boram eyed him curiously.

"What?" Youngbae asked, a smile still on his face.

"Can you stop moving?  I'm getting dizzy just looking at you."

Youngbae half-laughed. "What?"  His smile grew wider.

"Aish!" Throwing his hands up in disgust, Boram put on his winter coat and called over his shoulder as he made his way to the door, "I'm going to the corner store for some hangwa."  He muttered lowly to himself, "Hopefully whatever you're on will have worn off by the time I get back."

Before he could get to it, the door seemingly opened on its own accord.  Jiyong jumped back in surprise when he saw Boram blocking the entrance.  "Hyung! Where are you heading off to?"

"Oh, Jiyong! Good, you're here.  I'm just going to the store, but now that you're here I won't have to rush back.  Youngbae has another visit from the hospital soon, so could you stay with him just in case?"

"Yah! I'm not a child... I can handle my own doctor visits," Youngbae hollered from inside. 

Boram rolled his eyes towards the ceiling and shook his head.  Jiyong laughed as he made his way towards the kitchen.  He watched Youngbae retrieve a water bottle from the refrigerator.  "What's up, bro?  Where your wheels at?"

Youngbae looked down towards his legs.  "Oh, yeah... I traded them in for a pair of these this morning," he nodded pointedly towards his set of crutches. "But to be honest, I don't think I'll be using these for long as well."

"Why's that Superman?"

Youngbae laughed.  "I've been testing the pressure on my leg and it feels a lot better.  The skin and muscle feel tight, but it's tolerable."

"That's good.  I was hoping you'd recover soon."

"Yeah... How'd your meeting go?  Have you decided which concept to go with for your jewelry promotions?"

Jiyong carefree face turned to aggravation.  He snorted.  "You have no idea, man, the pain that I just endured."

The response caught Youngbae by surprise.  "What happened? They wouldn't take your ideas?"

Jiyong sighed.  "It's not that.  I mean, yes, I initially had some pushback but I'm used to that - you know how it is," he waved his hand.  "But that girl..." he cupped his chin and rubbed a finger across his lips.  "I felt like I was fighting the creative director every step of the way.  Like, I understand that their brand is classic and timeless, and that my style is a bit more edgy and out of the ordinary..."

"That's an understatement," a grinning Youngbae interjected.

Jiyong smiled and continued, "Like I know that.  But I think she wanted to bring a new vibe to their line too... she just didn't want to go too far."

"So were you able to compromise on your ideas?"

"Yeah, I think so."  He paused while he thought about it.  "Yeah, I feel pretty good with what we came out with."

"If you flashed her some of that Jiyong-shi charm, I'm sure you wouldn't have had to go battle for your ideas," Youngbae joked.

"No man, I'm serious.  There was nothing I could do to make her back down.  She's a firecracker," replied Jiyong in self-defense.  "I truly believe this girl eats men for breakfast."

Youngbae chuckled.  "Sounds like your kind of woman."

At that moment, the doorbell to the apartment rang.  "That must be for me," replied Youngbae cheerfully.  He started to hobble towards to front door, but Jiyong stopped him.  "Naw, I'll get it. Just go sit down."

Jiyong returned with Dr. Park in tow and they made their way towards Youngbae in the living room.  Youngbae was fidgeting with his shirt and looked up to greet his guest.  His face changed to one of surprise.  He peered around Jiyong and Dr. Park, but when he didn't see what he expected, he schooled his features to hide his disappointment. "Annyeonghaseyo." They traded pleasantries and Youngbae introduced Jiyong to Dr. Park.

"I wasn't expecting to see you Dr. Park."

"Yes, I was planning on coming with Amina but it's just me tonight."

"Is Amina ok?"

"She's feeling a little under the weather, so she couldn't make it this evening."

"Oh."

Although he tried to appear nonchalant, Jiyong could see the play of emotions run across Youngbae's face. Something didn't seem right.  When Jiyong raised his eyebrows questioningly towards Youngbae, his friend refused to acknowledge him.  That behavior was odd in itself, since he and Youngbae never hid anything from each other.  So that's how it's going to be? thought Jiyong devilishly.  We'll see about that.

"Who's Amina?" asked Jiyong.

Youngbae's head whipped so fast towards him, Jiyong almost laughed out loud.  But Jiyong kept a straight face and continued to play innocent, awaiting Dr. Park's response.

"Amina is the assigned caretaker for Youngbae.  She's my assistant."

"Oh," replied Jiyong, nodding his head in understanding.  "She must be pretty, huh?"

"Ya!" exclaimed Youngbae irritably, earning him a surprised look from Dr. Park.

Jiyong turned his gaze towards Youngbae and asked innocently, "What?"

Dr. Park cleared .  She sensed another entire silent conversation going on between the two guys that she wasn't privy to, but she answered anyway.  "Yes... I think so.  But I'm biased since she's my god daughter too."

"Oh, she's your god daughter?" asked Jiyong.

"Yes, I'm close friends with her mother. That's where she gets her looks from.  Her mother was a model back in Thailand."

"Thailand?"

"Yes.  Her mother is half Thai, half Norwegian.  But unfortunately for Amina, she got her height from her father's side," Dr. Park jokingly replied.  "I guess we can't have everything can we?"

Jiyong nodded his head politely

"Are you done with your questions? I'm sure Dr. Park needs to be on her way soon," Youngbae asked pointedly towards Jiyong.

Jiyong impishly replied, "I'm done with my questions... for now."  Youngbae knew the last comment was meant towards him.  He mentally sighed and knew he'd get an earful from Jiyong once the appointment was over.

"Amina mentioned your leg was healing a lot faster than we predicted.  Let's take a look."

Dr. Park completed her exam of Youngbae's leg and shoulder and left him with a few instructions on how to exercise his limbs for the rest of the recovery period.  "It looks like everything is proceeding as planned.  If you feel comfortable to forgo the crutches, that's fine.  I think we'll go ahead a cut down the appointments to once a day for the rest of this week, and then just do a final follow-up next week, okay?  I'll have Amina schedule the appointment for you."

Youngbae nodded his head dismally upon hearing the change of plans, but replied as customary.  "Thank you for visiting me today.  I promise to work on the exercises you taught me and will do better next time."  Jiyong walked Dr. Park out the apartment.  And as Youngbae predicted, Jiyong returned to the living room with an armful of questions.

"What was that about?"

"What do you mean?" Youngbae pretended to not understand.

"You know what I mean.  We never keep anything from each other.  Why didn't you tell me about her earlier? You obviously thought she was going to be here tonight."

Youngbae gave in. "I wanted to get your reaction of her, firsthand.  I didn't want my thoughts to interfere with how you saw her.  We both know you're a good judge of character, so I wanted to know your opinion."

"Well, based on your reaction I can tell you're physically attracted to her."

"It's just not about her looks.  I mean, yes - she's beautiful, but she's more than that.  Like, I don't know how to explain it," replied Youngbae, flustered. "She's just... genuine."

Watching Youngbae struggle to describe his attraction towards a female was amusing for Jiyong.  They discussed girls before, but it was usually about looks.  Youngbae usually didn't get close enough to girls to know how they really were as a person.  He usually relied on Jiyong to assert his opinion.

"How so?"

Youngbae paused as he tried to remember the exact moment he felt an attraction towards Amina that was beyond physical.  "When I asked her about her family.  She didn't hold back.  She was open about her relationship with her parents and I could tell that she was sad about it.  I don't know... I mean, most people don't just say that about themselves."  He looked at Jiyong for a reply.

Jiyong nodded thoughtfully but didn't say anything.

"I don't know...," sighed Youngbae.  "Maybe I'm crazy.  I just feel like... because she was so forthcoming with who she was, that I was able to relax and be myself.  It's the first time I've been able to have a real conversation with a girl."

"And why do you think she didn't come tonight?" Jiyong asked.  His insight caught Youngbae off guard, but he knew Jiyong could always see to the heart of the matter.  There was no beating around the bush with Jiyong.

"I think I came on too strong. I think I scared her."

Jiyong looked at Youngbae to elaborate, but Youngbae didn't say anything else.  Unsure why, whether he felt guilty or over-protective, Youngbae felt compelled to keep the kiss he shared with Amina to himself.

"Well," Jiyong replied, "I don't know what advice I can give you.  I mean, sometimes we can't help but feel strongly about someone.  Do you think she feels the same towards you?"

Youngbae paused as he replayed the emotions that he saw in Amina's eyes right before he kissed her.  "I think she likes me, but something's holding her back.  She has this guard up when I'm around her.  It's... frustrating." Youngbae sighed and leaned his head back on the couch.

Jiyong smiled and covered his mouth with his fist to cover his chuckle.

"What?" eyed Youngbae.

"Nothing," Jiyong replied. "It's just that I've never seen you like this before."

"Is my misery funny to you?" smiled Youngbae.

"Ani... I'm just happy for you."

Youngbae grinned.