Chapter 19

Sun-kissed

This wasn't something she could easily forget.  The way his eyes burned into hers and how they turned stormy right before he kissed her. Or how he would chuckle quietly when she made an impish remark, the way his lips curved up when he smiled.  The feel of his warm skin next to hers and the imprints his body made against hers.  These memories were all tattooed in her heart, unforgettable.  Amina tossed and turned in her bed, unable to fall asleep.  She was thinking too much.  And missing him even more.

Amina reached out to grab her cell phone off the night stand.  She touched the standby power button on and swiped her finger across the screen.  It was 4:34am.  Too late to fall asleep.  Too early to start the day.  In limbo. It was exactly how she felt about her relationship with Youngbae. There was something there, she knew.  As brief as it was, she had never felt this way before.  She felt alive, free... happy.  She wanted to believe that he felt something for her in return.  But their last encounter left her confused.

She just wanted to know.  Once she knew, she told herself she would be able to move on.  But until then... she would always wonder.  She at least deserved to know, she told herself.  With that thought in mind, she quickly typed her message and hit 'send' before she lost courage. 

Amina stared at her phone a few seconds afterwards, knowing it was foolish to think that he would respond to her this early in the morning.  Or even at all. With a heavy sigh, she fell back on her bed and closed her eyes. 


The vibration of his phone caught him off guard.  He had been lying awake in bed the past several hours, his earlier run having done nothing to slow his body or mind down.  He could still feel the softness and warmth of her skin; the way her body would burn up in flames when he caressed her neck with his lips.  Her face haunted him every time he closed his eyes. Her expressive brown eyes speaking volumes when they gazed at him.  He couldn't shake her off.

Youngbae reached under his pillow for his phone, puzzled by the unexpected notification.  His eyes adjusted against the bright LED screen briefly before he tapped on his messages.  It was from Amina. His lips parted slightly in surprise.

Maybe I misunderstood.  Maybe it was me. Please tell me why. Tell me why and I'll be fine.

He re-read her message over and over; his heart conflicted over her words that begged him to explain.  Youngbae squeezed his eyes close, trying to block out her voice that was coming through. He fought against the emotions that were threatening to return.  The ones that wanted to tell him to forget what he heard or saw; to continue living in ignorance. But his pride wouldn't let him back down. He turned his phone off and shoved it back under his pillow. 


That following evening...

Amina checked to make sure her apartment door was locked before heading downstairs towards the parking garage.  She spotted the black M-5 BMW waiting for her near the entrance and made her way over. 

Hanna glanced over at Amina as she buckled herself in without saying a word.  "Annyeong," said Hanna expectantly, scrutinizing Amina's odd behavior.  She immediately noticed the dark circles under Amina's eyes.

Amina turned towards her and apologetically smiled.  "Annyeong unnie," she said, half-yawning.  "Mianhae..." As was protocol, they were dressed in formal dining attire.  Hanna wore a mid-length green velvet dress with pumps, her hair coiffed in a low bun.  While the front was demure, the back was low cut and showcased her alluring back and creamy shoulders.  Amina, on the other hand, chose to dress more conservatively tonight, opting for a simple long black evening gown, with long sleeves and a high neckline that hid everything except for her hands and neck.  Her hair was swept to the sides of her face and lightly curled.  She kept her make-up and jewelry minimal, knowing that she would be checked out by everyone at the party. 

"Did you put any concealer on?" asked Hanna, as she started to rumble through her bag.

"Ani...," replied Amina.  "Why? Do I look bad?"

"Not if you want to look like a panda," replied Hanna.  She whipped out her NARS concealer and handed it over.

Amina pulled the passenger mirror down from its place and checked her eye make-up once more.  Hanna was right.  The dark circles were still visible underneath her foundation.  She dabbed a little bit of the concealer under her eyes.

"Rough night?" asked Hanna.

"You can say that," said Amina.  She handed back the make-up stick. "Gomawo."

"Don't be nervous.  I'm sure dinner will go off without a hitch," Hanna said, trying to comfort Hanna.  She checked her rear mirror and started backing out the car.

Amina could only shrug her shoulder slightly, unwilling to talk about what really kept her up last night.  She gazed out the window and hoped tonight would fly by quickly.


The Lees lived in Pyeongchang-dong, at the base of Mt. Bukhan, which was about an hour away from everything.  Their luxurious villa was surrounded by open land and mature trees.  Many of their neighbors were political and economical leaders.  Unlike their well known cousin, Gangnam-gu, this area carried a different affluent vibe.  This was old money, inherited years and years down the line.

They stopped in front of the tall iron gates, while the security guard checked his itinerary.  Amina immediately noticed her parent's town car sitting outside the long drive.  They would be here already, thought Amina, since they only lived about ten minutes away. She felt herself grow a little nervous, the anticipation of not seeing them in over six years finally getting to her.

Hanna parked the car behind Amina's parents and they made their way inside.  "Annyeonghasaeyo!" Hanna called out from the empty foyer, where the butler took their wraps and coat for the evening.  David's mother came around the corner from the main living area with a smile on her face.  "Annyeong Hanna."  She looked over at Amina, her eyes traveling the length of her up and down.  "Annyeong Amina.  Nice to see you again."

Amina smiled meekly and bowed.  "Annyeong ajumoni." She followed the elder lady inside the house, ignoring the side glances Hanna was giving her way.

"Mimi...," Hanna whispered. 

Amina looked over shortly, but shook her head. She planted a smile on her face and faced her parents.  Amina looked over at her father and her heart sank a little. He had aged these past few years, the wrinkles and skin around his face showing more than she last remembered. Much to Amina's dismay, her mother still looked the same, more beautiful even.  She was nearly sixty now, but still looked like she was in her forties.  Her graceful long neck and ears were draped in diamond babbles.  Her hair was fashionably dyed dark brown with minimal highlights.  Amina bowed deeply in their presence.

She was about to sit down on the chaise next to her parents when she noticed a movement from the corner of her eye.  Amina glanced over and saw David stand up. A genuine smile spread across her face as she bowed deeply to greet him.  "Annyeong," Amina said, her eyes going to his handsome face.

"Annyeong Mimi," David smiled, his dimples showing.  "It looks like you haven't changed much over the years.  You're still as short as I remembered."

Amina grinned.  "Finally chopped off your hair, huh?" She couldn't really come up with anything else to say.  He looked really good. She silently admired him, taking in his appearance.  It seemed he grew another 4-5 centimeters since she last saw him.  And it also looked like he had worked out some, the muscles in his arms filling out the dinner jacket that he wore.

"Yeah," he said bashfully, his hand going up slightly to smooth the side of his head.  "They mistook me for a girl on my first day of class.  I thought it was time for a change."

Amina laughed.

The housekeeper came into the room to announce that dinner was ready.  "Shall we?" asked Mrs. Lee, her gaze going expectantly towards David.  He gave Amina an apologetic look before ushering his mother to the dining room.  Amina's parents followed thereafter, while Amina and Hanna trailed behind.

"So, David's looking pretty good," Hanna remarked.

Amina made a sound in agreement, but her mind was elsewhere. She was too focused on watching her father's gait as he walked uneasily ahead of her.  Something seemed wrong but Amina didn't know what.  She reminded herself to make a point to ask before the night was over.

Dinner at the Lees was the most painful affair that Amina had been to in a long time.  Aside from the warm welcoming she received from David, the atmosphere was stifled. It also didn't help that she had been feeling melancholy all afternoon because Youngbae had yet to respond to her text message. She was seated next to David, while Hanna flanked her left.  Her parents were seated directly across from her.  Mrs. Lee was seated at the head of the table, near David, and controlled the majority of the conversation. 

"Amina, why don't you serve David the first course?" Mrs. Eun suggested pointedly at her daughter, her gaze scrutinizing Amina's movements.

"Neh, umma," Amina replied.  She cast an apologetic look at David as she served him a small portion of the first dish.  He returned her uncomfortable look, but nodded his thanks.

"So Hanna," Mrs. Lee said, "How is work going? Anything new in the jewelry industry?"

Hanna looked up from her plate and politely dabbed her lips with the cloth napkin.  "Actually, I have an event that we're getting ready to launch next Tuesday.  It's for a new business line that we've partnered up with.  A joint venture, I guess you can say."

"Oh, sounds interesting."

Hanna nodded her head slightly.  "Yes, and frustrating as well. It's been a lot of work."  She looked over at Amina and David.  "Actually, I was thinking of inviting you guys to the event, if you're up to it."

Amina and David looked at Hanna, mirroring the same surprised expressions on their faces. 

David replied, "Yeah, sounds like fun." He turned towards Amina and asked, "Are you free that evening?"

"Neh, she's free," Mrs. Eun replied.  Her gaze dared Amina to argue her bidding.

David frowned inwardly at the interruption, but kept a polite expression on his face. Amina looked at him with a pained expression on her face.  "Neh, I'm free that evening."

"Alright, I'll bring you tickets this weekend," Hanna replied hesitantly.  "Keun appa? Keun uemoni? Were you planning on attending as well?" she looked at Amina's parents for their answer.

Mrs. Eun looked at her husband with excitement in her eyes, the prospect of attending an event a change of pace from their quiet lifestyle.  But her husband returned her glance and shook his head slightly.  "Ani...," he replied to Hanna.  "You don't need us old folks there ruining your fun."  He looked pointedly at Amina.  "You kids enjoy your night."  His wife hissed quietly in his ear, but he ignored her and concentrated on his soup instead.

"Amina-ah," said David's mother.

Amina looked up from her bowl of pea soup and waited patiently for her to continue.

"I was telling David that I ran into you the other night, while I was doing some late night shopping.  Did you ever buy anything that night?"

"Neh," replied Amina, unaware of why the subject was such an interest to her. "Just a few paintings."

"And your friend," Mrs. Lee continued, "Did he buy anything as well?"

At the mention of 'he', Amina saw her mother's piercing gaze on her.  "A-aniyo...," replied Amina.  "He did not get anything that night."

"What friend?" asked Amina's mother.

Hanna looked over at Amina questioningly, confused by all the conversation.

Amina looked up and quietly replied, "A friend from work.  I was looking for items to decorate my apartment and he accompanied me there after work." She went back to eating her soup, ignoring the piercing gaze of her mother.

David sensed some tension in the room and tried to lighten up the mood.  "So, you know, I've been attending UCLA for the past several years..."


The never-ending meal finally concluded its seventh course.  While the guests were milling over their desert, Mrs. Eun took the opportunity to confront her daughter without prying ears.

"Amina, if I may have a word with you please," her mother commanded her.  She got out of her chair and stalked off towards the living room without a glance.

Amina stared at her mother's retreating back and excused herself from the table.  Hanna looked at her with puzzled eyes, pleading for her to explain.  Amina shook her head, not knowing the answer to her question.

The living area was around the catty-corner from the dining area.  Her mother was standing in the middle of the room, her arms stiff against her sides.  Amina stepped onto the plush carpet and waited for her mother to speak.

"Who's the guy?" asked her umma.

"No one," replied Amina.  It was the truth, for now.  She didn't even know if she'd ever see him again.

"You're lying," replied Mrs. Eun.  "I'm your mother.  I can tell when you're lying.  There's something more that you're not telling me."

"Umma," Amina quietly begged, her eyes sad from some undefined loss, "I'm telling you the truth.  He's no one."

Mrs. Eun looked at her daughter with disdain.  "You know the bargain your father and I had with you six years ago.  Do not forget your role."

"It was just a night with a friend!" Amina cried out. "Can I not have any friends? Or was that part of your plan too? To seclude me so I didn't have anyone else to run to?"

Not used to being questioned in such a manner, Mrs. Eun raised her right hand and swung her open palm against Amina's left cheek. The loud crack vibrated against the walls of the room, alarming the occupants inside the dining area.  The sound of their chairs scraping against the marble floor and steps rushing towards them caused Mrs. Eun to stammer in her outrage.  "Y-you will do as you have been told Amina.  You will not disgrace this family!"

Amina grabbed her left cheek and watched through a blur of tears as her mother left the room.  She bowed her head in shame as Hanna and David made their way over to her. 

"Mimi?" Hanna asked in alarm.  "What happened?" She gently grabbed Amina's shoulder, but was shrugged away.  "I'll grab some ice..." Hanna replied lamely, rushing out towards the kitchen.

"Are you okay?" asked David, standing behind her.

Amina let out a half laugh.  "Neh," she replied.  She felt the hot tears roll down her cheeks and slowly brushed them away. A tissue box appeared by her side. "Gomawo." The stinging pain was still strong.  Amina knew her face would still be red, so she ly slightly to face David.  "Some party, huh?"

David looked at her with sadness in his eyes.  He had a feeling about what Amina had been reprimanded for and he didn't think it was fair.  "Your umma went too far.  I think we all know this arranged marriage is not something you agree with." He paused and looked away.  "Look," he sighed and ran a hand through his hair, "I don't want to force you to do something you don't want to do.  I understand," he said.

"David," Amina shook her head.  "You don't have to worry.  I'll do what I was told to do," she told him bitterly as she wiped the final tears away from her eyes. 

Hanna came into the room with a small ice-pack in her hand.  "Here Mimi," she gently laid the compress against Amina's cheek.

Amina grabbed the ice pack from her and said her thanks.  She watched as her father made his way into the room, an unreadable expression on his face.  He saw the compress against her face and stiffened.  "Where is your mother?"

"I don't know," replied Amina. 

"I think she went to the sunroom," replied David.

Mr. Eun nodded his head and made his way slowly towards the sunroom, his back hunched over as if more burden was laid on his shoulders.

"Appa!" Amina cried out.  "What happened to you?  Why are you walking like that?"

Hanna looked guiltily at Amina, her eyes shifting from her uncle to her cousin.  She opened to speak, but was cut off when Mr. Eun raised his hand to silence her.

Amina glanced questioningly between the two of them, wondering what was going on.

"I suffered a a couple of years ago," her father replied.  "It's nothing to be concerned about."

"Nothing to be concerned about?" Amina raised her voice hysterically.  "You had a and you didn't tell me?"  She looked at Hanna and it dawned on her why she was looking so guilty.  "You knew?"

Hanna floundered, opening and closing as she thought of what to say.

"Do not get angry with Hanna," replied Mr. Eun.  "I told her to keep it from you."

"But why appa?  Why did you keep this from me?" Amina couldn't believe what she was hearing.

"So you could live your life the way you wanted to.  It was the only thing that I could offer you," replied her father, his shoulders slumping even more.  He turned around and slowly walked away from her.

She was so upset over the news, Amina felt her lips trembling.  "Tell me everything," Amina demanded Hanna.  "What happened?"

Hanna swallowed a lump in and began.  "It was two summers ago.  Your umma found him near the pool, lying out, and unconscious." She took a deep breath at the anger she saw in Amina's eyes.  "He didn't suffer for very long.  The maids were nearby and called for the paramedic. It was a mild , but because it took awhile to get to the hospital, the incident took away some of his motor skills."

Amina wrapped her arms around herself, feeling cold all of a sudden. She looked at the floor unseeingly.

"Because of his condition, your appa doesn't like to go out any more.  It drives your umma insane," Hanna half-jokingly said, trying to lighten the atmosphere.

Amina raised her eyes and gave Hanna a look of disbelief.  "I can't believe you kept this away from me.... He could have died!"

Hanna felt the sting of tears in her eyes, her guilt overwhelming her.  "I know.  I told him we should tell you, but he said 'no'. That he didn't want to ruin the time you had to yourself before..." She looked at David in pain before glancing away.

Amina turned away from both of them.  This was all her fault.  If she had just agreed in the beginning instead of making her own foolish rules, she could have been there for her father.  She could have gotten him the medical attention he needed right away... She let out a deep sigh, frustrated and angry at herself and the place that her life was in. She turned around and announced, "I want to go home." She headed towards the foyer, leaving them behind.

"Okay," replied Hanna.

Amina turned around and gave Hanna a cold stare down.  "Not with you.  I need time to let this sink in before I can forgive you." She saw Hanna's lip quiver at her admission and turned away from her. "David, could you take me home please?" 

He nodded his head and briefly looked briefly at Hanna.  He walked over to Hanna and gently squeezed her shoulder.  "She'll come around," he encouraged and smiled weakly at her before following Amina out of the house.


The ride was quiet on the way to Amina's apartment in Suyu-dong.  David the radio in an attempt to drown out the silence. Amina glanced over and apologetically said, "Please tell your umma I said goodnight.  She must think I'm the rudest girl ever."

David half-grinned.  "Neh... I'll let her know."  It was on his mind, but he didn't know how to ease into it. There was no other way to say it, so he just asked.  "Mianhae, I don't mean to be rude, but... can I presume that the earlier incident was about the guy my mom saw at the mall with you?"

"Neh," Amina shortly replied.

"I'll have to talk to my mom about that too," replied David.  "She knows better than to insinuate anything while your mother is around." He grounded out his distaste as he switched lanes.

"Mianhae," Amina said.  "My mother was a bit overbearing this evening.  I mean, could she be more obvious?" Amina sighed and looked out the passenger window.  "I don't know why she tries so hard.  I told her I would go through with it.  We had a deal."

David looked over at Amina.  Despite his earlier comments about her not changing, he could tell that she had grown up in many ways.  Her face had lost all of its baby fat, the cheekbones of her face now more prominent.  She definitely filled out her dress more, he silently admired appreciatively.  Her mannerisms had also changed.  She carried herself more confidently, her thoughts and words throughout tonight's dinner more patient. More understanding.  She was far from the snobbish girls he'd still hung around in California or back home.  But he'd always known she was special from the beginning.

He remained quiet for so long, Amina felt the need to reassure him.  She glanced over and said, "He's just a friend."

David raised an eyebrow at her, the direction of her comment taking him by surprise.  "Amina," he smiled.  "I know your mother may think because we have an arranged marriage, that it means we can't see other people.  But honestly, " he glanced at her, "I don't.  I never thought that you would not see other people."  He paused and abruptly said, "I hope you didn't think the same for me."

"Ani," Amina grinned. "I know you've been a ladies man. But it's different," she shrugged her shoulders.  "You're a guy.  It's expected that you would date other women before you settle down.  Especially one where the marriage is already set out for you."

He scoffed and shook his head.  "I may believe in arranged marriages, but I'm not such a hypocrite to think that women can't date before they get married." He turned down the heat a notch in the car.  "I mean, whatever you do before you get married is your own life.  Once you're married, your life becomes one with that person now.  Everything else doesn't matter." He returned his gaze towards the road.

Amina stared at him.  She wished she could view it as easily as he did.  She wondered how he would feel if he knew the feelings she harbored for another.

"So who is he?" David asked nonchalantly.

"Who?"

"Your friend," grinned David.  "I thought that's what we were talking about."

"Oh," replied Amina.  "He's just a friend I met through work."

"Just a friend?" He eyed her skeptically.

"Neh... just a friend."

"Amina-ah... you haven't been 'just' a friend with a guy since... well, since me."

Amina grinned.  "Well, if my parents hadn't discouraged me from joining sports or after school clubs, and made me hang out with you all the time, I'm sure I would have made some guy friends growing up."

"Touché," he grinned. He looked over at her.  "Well, if it makes you feel any better, I met someone as well."

"Jjinja?" Amina exclaimed.  "Who?"

He laughed at her curiosity.  "Through school.  She's flying in tomorrow actually, to visit her parents."

"Does your umma know?"

"My umma knows as much as your umma knows about your friend."

"Ah," Amina replied in understanding.

He looked sheepishly at her.  "We're in quite a mess aren't we?"

"Neh," Amina sighed.  "Why can't our life be less complicated?"

He nodded in agreement. On impulse, he added, "We should meet up. I think you'd like her."

"Wouldn't that be weird?" Amina looked at him puzzled.  "I mean, girlfriend meeting fiancé.  Sounds like a fight waiting to happen."

"Ani," he smiled.  "She knows our situation."

"And she understands?" Amina replied in disbelief.

"Neh..." he said, gazing at the road.  He seemed lost in thought but eventually replied, "She's very understanding.  Almost just like you."  He gave her a half smile, his look melancholy.

"You must really care for her," replied Amina sadly.

He blushed, his smile shy.  He shook his head slightly.  "Ani. I mean... I don't know." He looked her again and returned his eyes on the road.  "She's just really special to me."

Amina understood exactly how he felt. She smiled wistfully at him and replied, "I'd love to meet her."


"You ask him," whispered Seungri.

"No, you ask him," replied Daesung quietly.  They were both staring at the back of Jiyong's head, as he gazed out the side of the van's passenger window. 

Jiyong turned around and stared at the two of them.  Daesung was sitting across the aisle from him, while Seungri was hovering in the back.  It was past two in the morning and commercial filming had run over three hours.  His patience was short.  "What are you two yapping about?"

Daesung gave Seungri an 'I told you so' look and quickly looked away.

Seungri growled under his breath in frustration. I guess I have to do it myself. He took a deep breath and blurted out in a rush. "Hyung... we," he emphasized, causing Daesung to turn back around, "were wondering if you knew what was wrong with Youngbae hyung."

Jiyong looked towards the front of the van were Youngbae sat, playing with his phone.  He had his Beats headphones on and was oblivious to their conversation.  Jiyong knew exactly what they were talking about.  But he didn't know why either.  "I don't know.  He's having an off day, I guess."

"I think something happened," replied Daesung.  "He usually jokes around with us on set.  But today, he was just all business."

"Yeah," Seungri agreed. "I mean, he has reprimanded me before, but today I was uncomfortable being around him.  He was very serious."

"Maybe you can take some pointers from him," replied Jiyong. "We could have finished early and I could have caught up on my sleep." He pinched the bridge of his nose and closed his eyes.

"Mianhae hyung," Seungri apologized.  "I didn't realize how late it was.  I will focus better next time." He bowed his head in solemn.

"Yes," interjected Daesung.  "And focus less on the female extras."

Seungri grinned, ruining his apology.

Jiyong opened his eyes and stared quietly at Youngbae for awhile.  He could tell something was bothering his friend, his demeanor quieter and less playful today than it had been in years.  The last time Youngbae was in this mood was during their earlier trainee days, when they both were unsure of where their careers were headed.  Jiyong knew Youngbae was worried about something.  He watched Youngbae fiddle with his phone once more, staring at something for a long time before turning it off and tucking it inside his jacket.

"Do you want me to ask him?" Daesung asked.

"Ani...," replied Jiyong.  "I'm sure it's nothing."  He tried to reassure the two, but knew he'd need to be more convincing than that.  "Look, we've had a busy week.  I think we all just need a break."

Daesung nodded his head in agreement.

"Well, hopefully he'll feel up to attending my birthday party this weekend," replied Seungri.

"Yeah," said Jiyong.  "That's probably what we all need actually.  Your birthday couldn't have come at a better time." He paused and looked back at Youngbae. "He should be back to his normal self by then."

The van arrived at the dormitory a little after three in the morning. Youngbae and Seungri left the van, heading straight towards the elevators to their apartments. Jiyong pulled Daesung aside, before they entered the building.

"I need to check something out but I need your help."

"Anything, hyung."

"Just pretend I need to borrow something of yours.  I need to enter Youngbae's room for a little bit."

Daesung nodded his head as they entered the building together. The apartment was unlocked, left open by Youngbae.  As they entered the dorm, they could hear their band mate rummaging around in the bathroom.  Jiyong immediately took off and barged into Youngbae's room, frantically searching for the jacket.  He came up empty handed and looked wildly around the room, looking for the smart phone.  He spied it plugged into the charger, the cord running underneath the pillow.  The toilet flushed and sounds of running water from the sink could be heard. Jiyong powered up the phone and swiped his hand to activate the menu.

Enter Passcode

Jiyong felt his palms start to sweat.  He typed in Youngbae's birth year, but it erred out.  Think, think... what could it be? he asked himself.  He typed in Youngbae's home address number, but got the same results. Jiyong knew he had one last try before the phone locked up.  He looked around the room and saw an old picture of them from their earlier days. They were both in baggy clothes with wool caps on.  A smile formed on his lips as he typed in "4392".  The screen backlight lit up and allowed him access.

The water stopped running.  Jiyong glanced at the door before tapping on Youngbae's messages.  He didn't see anything out of the ordinary.  Nothing from Youngbae's brother or manager.  Then he realized all the newer messages were at the bottom of the screen.  He scrolled down and ran into a number he didn't recognize.  It was from "Naekkoya".  Jiyong creased his eyebrows and half-grinned, wondering who Youngbae could be referring to as "mine". He opened the message and read the words carefully, his smile quickly fading away.

Upon hearing Youngbae approach, Jiyong quickly shoved the phone underneath the pillow and made himself comfortable on the bed, his hands going underneath his head. He closed his eyes and feigned sleep.

The door opened.  "Oh, Jiyong..." Youngbae said, surprised.  He was shirtless, a white towel wrapped around his waist.  "Did you need something?"

Jiyong opened his eyes and yawned.  "Oh... mianhae.  I was waiting for Daesung to get me something."  He sat up on the bed and walked towards the door, past Youngbae.  "Daesungie... do you have it yet or not?"

"Coming hyung!" Daesung scrambled out of his room, unsure of what he was supposed to do.  He grabbed the nearest object next to him and ran out of his room.  "Here you go hyung." Daesung shoved the item towards Jiyong.

It was an article of clothing.  Boxers.  Doraemon boxers to be more precise.  A blush crept up Daesung and Jiyong's faces as Youngbae looked between the two of them incredulously.  Jiyong half laughed and shrugged his shoulder.  Gritting through his teeth, he smiled at Daesung, and hissed quietly, "What the hell is this?"

Youngbae bit back a smile on his lips and walked passed them towards the bathroom.  He had no idea what was going on.  And from the painful look on Jiyong's face, he didn't want to know. "I'll see you tomorrow," he nodded before closing the door.

The running water of the shower head came on, breaking the pair apart.  Jiyong took the boxers and slapped it several times across Daesung's body.  "Ouch, hyung! Mianhae... I didn't know it was boxers!" Daesung pleaded, laughing.

Jiyong growled, "Yah!" He tossed the garment inside Daesung's room and shook his hands out, rubbing them across Daesung's chest.  "Omo, I hope those were clean."

Daesung stood up straight, offended.  "Of course they were clean!"

Jiyong grinned.  "I can't believe you have Doraemon boxers.  I mean... I knew you had an obsession, but damn."

"It's a collector's item.  I don't actually wear it," Daesung explained.

Jiyong looked at him unbelievingly and made a non committal sound.  He started to walk down the hall, towards the apartment door.

"Wait, hyung!" Daesung called out, stopping Jiyong on his tracks.  "Did you find out anything?"

Jiyong turned around and nodded his head slightly, his eyes losing some of the laughter from before.  "Neh...

"Is it serious?  Something with his family?"

"Ani..."

"Then what?"

Jiyong paused and looked down at the floor, not sure of how much to reveal.  "I think he and Amina might be going through something right now.  But I don't know what. The message didn't reveal much."

"How did you get inside his phone? Isn't it locked?"

Jiyong grinned and waved his index finger.  "I know all, Daesungie... Ain't nothing you can hide from me." And with that, he left the apartment, heading upstairs to his own quarters.

Daesung glanced around the apartment, suddenly feeling very vulnerable.  I better change my passcode before hyung figures it out too... he thought to himself, before shutting the door to his room.