Chapter 33

Sun-kissed

"So, do you think she got the gifts already?" asked Daesung.  His hair was spray painted lime green and spiked up high on top of his crown.  They were readying themselves for a year-end performance that was about to be broadcasted later that evening.

Seungri checked his watch and nodded.  "I'm pretty sure she got it by now."  He pursed his lips and looked towards Youngbae's direction where he and Jiyong were getting final fittings completed.  He looked back at Daesung.  "I thought she would figure it out... but she hasn't called yet."

"What are you two babbling about?" asked Seunghyun, his eyebrow angled up.  His hair was slicked back perfectly, the laser cut of his black leather jacket like second skin against his tall lean frame.  It was amazing how he arrived last but always finished before everyone else did.  He sat down in an empty canvas fold out chair and crossed his legs. 

"I was telling Seungri he probably messed up the delivery..." Daesung said mischievously, his lips curving into a teasing smile. 

"Ani!" Seungri proclaimed, vaguely aware that Youngbae and Jiyong were overhearing their conversation.  "I had them dropped off like hyung told me to."

Seunghyun eyed the maknae, his eyes glinting like black sapphires.  "Are you sure?  I wouldn't bet my money on you, you know that right?"

"Aish..." Seungri huffed, turning red.  He stood up and adjusted the collar of his button-up shirt.  He cranked his neck to the side and started pacing in front of them.  He didn't know why he felt nervous all of a sudden... well, who was he kidding?  Yeah, he knew why.  He felt the bullets of sweat start to form at the base of his spine.

Daesung watched him knowingly, seeing that pent up expression before.  He glanced over at Seunghyun, who was eyeing Seungri like a hawk.

Seunghyun let out a grin, his inner devil coming out.  He said in a voice loud enough for everyone around them to hear.  "So what did you do maknae?  Did you misplace the gifts?  Or did you hire some juvenile schoolboy to do your job?"

"Ani!" He turned around to look at them, his face flushed.  "I had the items hyung asked me to deliver, delivered...."

"But?" Seunghyun prompted, waiting for the next line.

"But... I might not have delivered all of them," Seungri mumbled, quietly to himself.

"Omo..." Daesung exhaled.  "He's going to kill you."

"Who's going to kill who?" Youngbae nonchalantly walked up to the trio, his fingers adjusting the rings on his hands.  He fixed the bandana around his temples and waited for Seungri to explain.

Seungri swallowed hard and inched his way around Daesung so there would at least be a barrier between them.  It was time to cough up the truth now.  He his lips nervously and began.  "Mianhae hyung... I," he cringed slightly and bit his lip.  "I might have changed up the gifts a little."

Youngbae's body tensed up.  "What do you mean, 'You changed up the gifts'?  Didn't you send her the gifts I told you to?"

Seunghyun watched the pair in fascination, seeing the tension for the first time in several weeks because he'd been busy filming his movie.  He couldn't help but feel slightly amused, even as anger radiated from Youngbae.

Daesung could feel the beginning of a showdown about to happen.  He angled his head around Youngbae's body, hoping to catch a glimpse of Jiyong.  His eyes turned wary the more he listened to the pair.

"I had the sweets delivered like you asked, along with the ugly painting and your note."

"You sent her an ugly painting?" Seunghyun grinned, looking at Youngbae.

"It's an inside joke..." Youngbae gritted under a calm facade, his eyes furious at Seungri. He advanced closer.

Seungri took a step back, his back now pressed firmly against the cold white brick wall. "But after the shoes... C'mon hyung.  Who gives a girl they care about Air Jordan's?  Right?" He looked over at Daesung and Seunghyun for confirmation.

Daesung averted his eyes.  He knew how much his hyung loved his sneakers.  He was sure it was another inside joke Amina and Youngbae shared.

"I don't know," shrugged Seunghyun.  "Those sneakers are always custom made, so I'm sure she loved it."  He grinned at the daggers Seungri was throwing his way. 

"What did you do with the other gifts I told you to deliver?"

"Umm... they're still at the dorm."

Youngbae nodded his head, the fire going out of his eyes slightly.  "Fine... just make sure she gets them soon."  He started to walk away.

"Aren't you going to tell him about the other gifts you sent?" guessed Seunghyun, his smile widening as Youngbae whipped around.  Man, how he missed hanging out with these guys.  It was a shame he had to leave right after the show to continue filming.

"You sent something else?" Youngbae asked incredulously.

Seungri's worked his mouth, his eyes wide with guilt.  "I...umm.  I might have."

"Like what?"  Youngbae's voice rose, his shoulders puffing forward as he came back towards them.

"Like a diamond necklace... a tennis bracelet..." He hesitated to say the last one, seeing Youngbae's mouth open in disbelief.  "And... a two carat diamond ring."

It all happened so fast.  Youngbae lunged at Seungri, his hands going straight for his throat; while Daesung was squished in-between them, his girly screams choked off as he became smothered between their bodies.  Seunghyun found himself jumping up in between the two, pressing his hands on Youngbae's shoulder, all traces of humor gone from his face.  "Yah! Stop!" he ordered.

"Hyung!  Mianhae!  Hyung!"  Seungri exclaimed, grabbing fistfuls of Daesung's shirt while he ducked behind Daesung.

"You little...!!!"  Youngbae clenched his teeth, his arms flailing in his attempt to break Seunghyun's grip.  He felt himself being dragged back as Jiyong and security guard officers came into the mix.  He raised his hand and pointed at Seungri.  "If you mess this up for me, I swear..." He broke off, his eyes seeing red.  He shrugged off the guards, his hands brushing the sleeves of his shirt off.

"Mianhae hyung..." Seungri pleaded.  "I only wanted to help, that's all."

"Help?"  Youngbae let out a humorless half laugh, his eyes stormy.  "How is that helping?  She and her family own half the diamonds in South Korea... why would she be impressed with another meaningless trinket from me?"  He scoffed under his breath and sneered.  "She isn't one of your play things, Seungri... She's my life."  He marched out of the room, the anger radiating all over him, as people quickly made way for him to pass through.

The room became deathly quiet as Youngbae's declaration sunk in.  The hair dressers and make-up artists moved about like mice, careful not to make any loud noises.  Daesung looked solemnly at Jiyong, watching his hyung look disapprovingly at Seungri.

"Well," Seunghyun quipped, looking at Seungri.  "I guess this means you two won't be doing Gangnam Style together."


As the night wore on, Youngbae's anger towards Seungri died out.  It helped that Jiyong changed their choreography and didn't make them sit next to each other at the SBS show.  He put all his effort into the performance, feeling the tension fade away.  The after party helped him almost completely forget, as he enjoyed the vibe with the rest of the crowd.  But it still wasn't enough to diminish the anger completely inside.  When he arrived at the dorm with the rest of his band mates, minus Seunghyun, the security guard stopped him.  It wasn't that he just stopped him.  But it was the look of pity on the old man's face that grated on Youngbae's nerves.

"Sir," the old man called out.  "For you... and this too," he said, topping off the velvet covered boxes with a single folded sheet of paper.

Youngbae gritted his thanks and waited until he was in the apartment before he unfolded the note, his eyes traveling over her careful penmanship.

Please leave me alone.

Youngbae stared long and hard at the words, his fingers tracing the etches she made in the paper.  He could feel how deep the indentions were... and could only imagine the amount of emotion that caused her to press down so hard.  He let out a heavy sigh and tossed the paper on top of the jewelry boxes that were stacked on his night stand.  He laid down on the bed, his forearm covering his eyes.  He could hear voices getting louder as they traveled towards him in the hallway.  The door to his bedroom opened.

"Seungri, you need to fix this," Jiyong ordered as he shoved the maknae forward. 

They both stopped dead on their tracks when they noticed Youngbae still in his clothes, unchanged, sprawled on his bed.  It was almost 3am.  Even they had changed prior to coming down.

Seungri moved forward, the note and jewelry boxes on the nightstand catching his attention.  He read the note briefly, his eyes full of sorrow.  "Mianhae hyung... I didn't realize."

"Just get out," Youngbae murmured with flat emotion.

"Ani," Jiyong pushed Youngbae's leg as he sat down next to him on the bed.  He laid a hand on Youngbae's knee, nudging him until he received his full attention.  "Seungri has already promised me that he would speak to Amina about the gifts."  He shot Seungri a look.

"N-neh," Seungri bowed briefly, grabbing the boxes of jewelry.  "And I'll return these too..."

"And you won't buy anything else without your hyung's consent, right?" Jiyong prompted, his eyebrow raising.

"Neh," Seungri nodded in agreement, his hand going to his pocket to prove it.  "Here's your credit card back..." He plopped the black card on the night stand, nervously waiting for Youngbae to lash out.

They waited silently for Youngbae to speak, but he continued to lay there... staring up at the ceiling.

"It's too late," he whispered in quiet defeat.  He swallowed hard against the tide of emotions and closed his eyes in pain.

Seungri and Jiyong traded looks, knowing the situation had gotten worse.  Even Jiyong wasn't as confident as he was back at Dolce Vita.  He offered the only encouragement that he could.  "You just need another chance to talk to her again...  Once she realizes your intent, she'll come around."  He hoped.  He stood up, ready to leave Youngbae alone for now.

"Neh... hyung's right.  I'm sure she'll come around once I explain to her.  I mean, she didn't return the other gifts right?" Seungri added lamely, inwardly cringing once he said it.  How in the world did he expect her to return a truckload full of ice cream or several pounds of chocolate and candies?  He brightened.  Well, at least she hadn't returned the shoes.  Aigoo... he mentally sighed.  Maybe she really did like those shoes.

"You ready?" Jiyong clamped a hand down on his shoulder.

Seungri shook out of his thoughts, nodding his head.  He glanced one last time at Youngbae, hating how dejected he looked.  They closed the door behind them and walked towards the apartment door.  They headed towards the elevators that would take them upstairs to their dorm. 

"You need to find a way for him to talk to her," Jiyong advised, his eyes stern.

Seungri nodded.  "Neh... I'll get on it."

"Whatever it takes..."

"Neh."  Seungri nodded, his mind racing ahead.


The following morning

"Yoboseyo?" Yuri's tired, sultry, voice rang loud and airy on the other side of the line.  It was still early in the morning, barely 8AM.

Seungri swallowed.  Damn if she didn't sound like one of those call girls he used to... He cleared his throat and began, "Yuri-yah?"

"Neh?"

"It's me... Seungri."

A long pause.

"Yuri-yah?"

"Prove it."

Seungri half laughed into the phone.  "What do you want me to do?"

He heard her long sigh and smiled. 

"Say something to me in English."

He grinned into the phone and his lips.  Taking a deep breath, he told her how much she resembled a flower, his broken accent causing her to giggle slightly.  "Is that enough?"

"Mmm," she murmured, her fog clearing.  "It's never enough," she said, yawning slightly into the phone.

He chuckled.

"What can I help you with, oppa?"

"I need to know if Amina has any plans tonight, after she gets off work.  I need to talk to her."

"Actually," Yuri paused, sitting up on her bed.  "She does.  She told me yesterday she had plans to meet a friend at a restaurant before they had to leave and return to school."  She told him the time and place.

"Perfect," Seungri replied, jotting down the information.  "And you're sure she's heading there tonight?"

"Neh,"  Yuri replied.  "She asked off early today, just for that reason."

"Gomawo Yuri-yah... Call me if anything changes, okay?"

"This is your number?" she asked, her voice rising skeptically.

He smiled.  "Neh... my personal number."

He heard her giggle quietly on the other line and grinned. 

"Okay oppa. I'll call you if anything changes."

They said their goodbyes and hung up.


She was running late.  God!  Of all nights, why did it have to be tonight? Amina thought to herself as she tidied up her office. She was meeting David and his girlfriend for dinner tonight before they left on their flight for the States the following morning.  It was her only opportunity to see them and she was about to ruin it.  She had texted David, letting him know to order and proceed without her.  But that was almost thirty minutes ago.

It was rush hour, the heaviest part of the evening.  Amina mentally sighed as she predicted all the people who would be cramming the subway and transit stations, in their rush to get home.  And to top it all off, it was close to year end and people were scrambling in preparation for the final holiday countdown.  Thank goodness she didn't have any plans during the holidays.  Work was more than enough to keep her busy.  She reached the bus station and waited patiently with the other twenty people in line in front of her. 


"Are you sure she's coming?" asked Jiyong loudly, over the crowded restaurant atmosphere.  They were at a fancy bistro in Gangnam-gu, their meal half-way through.  Youngbae had left to use the restroom and it was only the three of them at the table.

"Neh," Seungri replied, he confidence slowly diminishing.  "That's what her friend told me this morning."

"Maybe she's just running late," supplied Daesung, his voice sounding optimistic.  He checked the messages on his phone and started to text someone back.

"Maybe you should call her friend again, just to make sure," Jiyong suggested.  "Wait." He eyed Seungri.  "Here he comes."

They all quickly straightened as Youngbae approached the table.  Their table was secluded at the back of the restaurant, away from everyone else, but they were still visible to the other guests.  The floor of the restaurant was higher on their side, allowing them to see all the occupants inside the intimate building.  Youngbae immediately noticed them on edge.

"Mwuh?" he asked.  "Do I have something on my shirt?"  He glanced down at his usual black attire, checking for stains.

"Ani," Jiyong said, his voice forced.  "We were just talking about what our plans are for the New Year."

"Oh," Youngbae replied.  "I thought we already talked about that."  He sat down in the booth next to Daesung.  The restaurant Seungri chose was more packed than what he usually cared for, but it was their last dinner together before the New Year, so he tolerated it.  He wasn't in his usual cheerful mood tonight so just as long as he didn't have to stop and smile for pictures, he told himself he would be fine. 

"N-neh..." Jiyong replied, suddenly realizing his faux pas.  "Seungri needed a re-cap.  You know how he likes to forget."

Youngbae smirked at Seungri, his eyes watching for Seungri's reaction towards Jiyong's jibe.  But he became on edge when he noticed Seungri stiffen as he stared at something behind Youngbae's shoulders. "Yah...," Youngbae smiled.  "She must be a looker for you to stare like that."

Jiyong looked at Seungri and followed the direction of his gaze.  He stiffened as well too.

Youngbae looked between the two of them, glancing over at Daesung for some help.  But it was no use... that boy was always on his phone.  Youngbae gave in and looked over his shoulder, his body tensing when he spotted her.  It appeared she had just arrived, her wool cape still on, as she made her way through the throng of tables.

He immediately turned around, his shoulders hunching forward as he slouched down further in his seat.  He crossed his arms over his chest and glared at the pair in front of him.  "So this is why you chose this place?"

Jiyong looked at Youngbae, refusing to play the guilty party.  "You left us no choice.  You need to talk to her."

"So we're now reduced to stalking? Psh..."  Youngbae looked down at the table and shook his head, his lips curving in distaste. "I told you... she doesn't want to talk to me. It's over."

"Who?" Daesung looked up from his phone, noticing the awkward tension between his band mates.  He took in Youngbae's posture and immediately came to the correct conclusion.  Amina had arrived.  He threw his napkin on the table and proceeded to get on his knees, turning around in the seat as he craned his neck beyond Youngbae.  "Aminaaaa!!!" he yelled, waving his hand vigorously.

He got smacked in the chest and hoisted down.

"What the hell are you doing?" Youngbae cried, as he pulled Daesung back into his seat.  Youngbae never felt more embarrassed in his life.  He could feel his ears turning red.

Daesung made a painful expression on his face, his hands rubbing his chest in earnest.  "Ouch, hyung... that hurt."

Youngbae straightened and sat back in his seat, his nerves on edge.  "Mianhae...," he bit out.  "But it's no less than what you deserve.  I can't believe you're in on this too." He slid Daesung an accusing side glance.

"I don't think she heard me anyway... it's too loud in here," Daesung said.  He looked at Seungri and Jiyong.  "Besides, she was too busy greeting that couple that she didn't even look my way."

"What couple?" Seungri asked, his eyes darting back over.  He could barely see her from his position.  He leaned over towards his right, placing his head on Jiyong's shoulder for a better view.

"Yah!" Jiyong shrugged his shoulder, catching Seungri in the chin.  "If you make out with me..."

"Hyung!" Seungri cried, his eyes innocent.

Jiyong grinned, his eyes going back towards the crowd.  He immediately recognized the man sitting in front of Amina.  He cursed under his breath and looked at Seungri in disbelief.  "You said she was meeting a girlfriend here?"

"I didn't say girlfriend... just a friend," Seungri's voice died out, when he saw Jiyong's disappointed gaze on him.  "Mwuh?"

"She's here with her fiancé..." Jiyong gritted out, watching Youngbae flinch across the table from him.  "Mianhae...  I wouldn't have agreed to this is if I had known..."

Youngbae shrugged off his apology and smiled, the smile not quite reaching his eyes.  "It's alright."

"Let's just leave," Jiyong announced.

"Wait," Seungri pleaded to them.  "Hyung... you still need to talk to her."

Youngbae shook his head.

"I'll go talk to her first and bring her to you... Okay?" Seungri encouraging said, his eyes lighting up with false hope.  He hoped Amina would understand his explanation and give his hyung a chance.  He started to stand, waiting for Jiyong to move so he could get out of the booth.

Jiyong waited for Youngbae to react before he let Seungri go.  But his friend refused to acknowledge them. Youngbae continued to stare down at his napkin.  Jiyong stood up and let Seungri pass, watching the maknae make his way downstairs towards Amina's table.

Daesung pressed close to Youngbae's side, craning his neck to see Seungri's progress.  He murmured quietly.  "I wonder who that girl is..." and looked over at Jiyong for a response.

Jiyong shrugged his shoulders slightly, his eyes on the table below.

Youngbae sighed quietly as curiosity won out.  He turned in his seat slightly, careful not to be too obvious as he joined in the observation.


"I'll just take a glass of wine, kamsahamnida," Amina bowed slightly in her chair at the waiter.  She looked at David and Su-Bin, and smiled apologetically.  "Again... mianhae.  I didn't realize how late I was going to be."

Su-Bin smiled, her eyes genuine. "It's alright.  I'm just glad I got to meet you before we have to leave tomorrow."

"Neh," Amina agreed. She eyed the remnants on their plates and realized just how late she had been.  They were finished with dinner and would probably need to leave soon.  "David's told me all about you," she smiled watching Su-Bin's eyes light up.  "I feel like I practically know you."

They chuckled, David turning bashful as Su-Bin stared lovingly into his eyes.  "Neh," Su-Bin agreed.  "I've heard a lot about you too."

Amina's smile wavered as she watched the pair in front of her.  She could see that they were truly in love. She lowered her eyes to give them privacy when she noticed them trading sweet glances.  She wished one day that she could find happiness like them.

She felt their quiet gazes on her and looked up.  Her eyes still sad, she asked them, "Tell me... how do you guys do it?"  Especially when you know..." she broke off, not able to say the words.

Su-Bin started and stopped, feeling David's hand cover hers on the table.  She looked up at him, his soft brown eyes encouraging her.  She smiled and looked at Amina.  "It was hard... at first.  I won't deny that."  She took a deep breath and looked back at David.  "But I knew I loved him... and that was all that mattered."  She looked back at Amina.  "I just tell myself to live in the moment... I can't worry about something I can't control."

David squeezed her hand and leaned into Su-Bin.  "Neh... you just leave that to me," he quietly promised.

Amina could see Su-Bin's eyes echoing her own doubts as she picked up on David's words.  "So you're going to tell your mother?"

David looked up at Amina with quiet resolve.  "Neh...," he said, his eyes steady.  "But to be honest, I don't know how she's going to take it."

Amina nodded slightly, understanding the trickle effect it would have on all of them. It would either go well and David could be with the love of his life, or it could go bad... and leave all of their hearts broken.  She felt anxious and sad thinking about it and could tell they could see it written all over her face. 

"Are you okay?" David asked worriedly, taking in Amina's melancholy appearance.

"Neh," Amina replied with a broken smile.  "It's been a rough week, that's all..."  She looked up at them, pausing when she noticed a familiar person heading their way.  Her eyebrows shot up in surprise. "Seungri..."

"Annyeonghasaeyo," he bowed to the table recipients. 

David and Su-Bin returned his gesture, their smiles welcoming.

"I thought I saw you... but I wasn't sure," he said to Amina.  "Mind if I sit down?"

They all turned to look at Amina, her eyes still confused as to how or why he was here.  "S-sure..." She gave out the introductions and turned to Seungri, asking the question that was uppermost in her mind.  "What are you doing here?"

"Oh... I was just here having dinner.  With some friends," he added.

"Friends?" Amina asked pointedly, stressing her question.

"N-neh," he cleared his throat.  "Just friends."

Amina nodded, her eyes not believing him.  She turned to David and Su-Bin.  "When does your flight leave tomorrow?"

"Too early," groaned David, earning Su-Bin's chuckle. 

"At six in the morning," Su-Bin replied.  "We wanted the first flight into L.A., to beat the madness.  We also have to attend an event later tomorrow evening."

"Ah," Amina smiled.  "Well then, I better not keep you.  It's already late as it is."

"Neh. We'll have to do this again soon," said David, laying his napkin on the table. He waited for Su-Bin to stand.

Su-Bin stood up and came around the table, heading straight for Amina.  She gave Amina a hug, squeezing her slightly for good measure.  She leaned back in their embrace and looked into Amina's eyes, seeing sadness still lingering there.  "Whoever he is..." she said, feeling herself guess correctly when Amina's eyes widened.  "Just love him unconditionally... no matter what happens."

Amina choked back on a sob, her eyes turning watery as she took in Su-Bin's words.

"You won't regret it... I promise," Su-Bin hugged her again, feeling the trembles rack Amina's body.

"N-neh," Amina replied, her smile a mixture of sadness and happiness.  "I'm glad I got to meet you," she said.

"Me too..." They shared a look before Su-Bin turned towards Seungri and said her goodbyes.

Amina slid quietly back down into her chair, watching the pair leave.  She turned in her chair, observing Seungri as he took a long swallow of her wine.  He seemed too relaxed for her comfort. "Tell me the truth," she confronted Seungri, watching him straighten in his seat.  "Why are you really here?"

"Wae? Can't I just stop by and say 'hi'?"

"Seungri..."

"Alright..." he sighed, placing the wine glass down.  "Hyung's here."  He watched as she stiffened slightly.  "He wants to talk to you."

Amina pulled her guard up, her face carefully blank.  "I have nothing to say to him."

"But I think he has something to say to you."

"Whatever he needed to say was said back at the pension."  She grabbed her purse and started to rifle through for some tip to add to the table.  "There's nothing he can say that will make me change my mind about us."

"Amina noona..."

"It's better this way, Seungri," she smiled forcefully.  "Trust me."  She checked the time on her phone.  "Mianhae... I have to leave.  I'm going to miss the bus." She started to stand.

"Let me drive you home," he blurted, feeling his chances slip away.  He still had to tell her about the gifts... a mistake he wished he never made.

"It's alright.  I can find my own way home."

"Please," Seungri pleaded, his hand stopping her.  "If you won't listen to hyung, at least let me try to explain... I sent you the gifts," he half-confessed, watching her eyes go wide.

"M-mwuh?!" Amina exclaimed, feeling her world spin.

"Well, not all of them," Seungri tried again.  "I can explain..."

Amina watched his eyes carefully, seeing the desperation there.  "Fine," she relented.  She watched his shoulders slump in relief.  "I'll let you drive me home."

Seungri bowed, opening his right arm wide so she could proceed ahead of him.  Amina took one more glance at Seungri, feeling an impending dread for agreeing to his offer.  She hesitated but slowly made her way towards the back of the restaurant, towards the kitchen area.  She glanced back at him to make sure she was going in the right direction.

He nodded at her.  "Neh, keep going.  I parked in the back..."

She bowed at the restaurant manager as he called out his goodbyes to Seungri and her.  They reached the back door, the cold night air welcoming after passing through the hot kitchen.  Amina took a deep breath and sighed into the quiet night as her eyes adjusted to the darkness.  She felt a shuffle towards her right and jumped in alarm, bumping into Seungri.

"Hyung," Seungri said, righting Amina slightly.

Amina felt her knees shake as she stared into Youngbae's eyes.