Chapter 2

Sun-kissed

The beeping sound of the blood pressure monitor greeted him as he woke from a deep slumber.  The room was dim; the only source of light came from behind the head of the bed.  Feeling slightly disoriented Dong Youngbae, also known by the stage name "Taeyang", tried to shift his body into a more comfortable position on the crinkly hospital mattress. But it was difficult because his left arm was bandaged tightly across his chest and he could feel a cast of some-sort, weighing heavily on his right leg from the knee down. He tried to sit up, but a sharp pain in his upper left shoulder took his breath away and he inhaled sharply.

"Don't move," advised Kim Boram, his manager.  Youngbae could see him slouching in the sleeper chair in the corner of the room, his tall gangly frame stretched out in front of him.  A constant presence near his side for the past seven or so years, Boram was Youngbae's friend and confidant. He helped other artists at YG Entertainment from time to time, but Youngbae was his main assignment and responsibility.  He was like an uncle figure in Youngbae's life.  They spent a lot of time together, on the road and during Youngbae's free time on vacations and shopping trips.  It was no secret that Boram's sense of style had greatly improved once Youngbae got his hands on him.  However at this moment, Boram's black hip-hop skeleton t-shirt and matching black cargo shorts belied the serious concern and worry on the older man's face. 

"What time is it?"

"It's nearly 6PM.  Your mother and brother were here a few hours ago, but you were still sleeping.  How are you feeling?"

"My shoulder hurts quite a bit and my leg feels like it’s on fire.  What happened?"

"Well last night," his manager began, "you decided to complete a running somersault again. Didn't I tell you that stunt was dangerous?" Shaking his head, Kim Boram continued, "Your right leg was got caught in the path of the pyrotechnic machine when it went off.  I think the force also was enough to knock you off balance and you fell off stage.  Unfortunately, you landed on your left shoulder and got the wind knocked out of you as well.  Jiyong got to you first, but when you didn't respond, we called for an airlift. You were flown here to Seoul National University Hospital in Seoul. You suffered a second degree burn along your inner right calf and dislocated your left shoulder.  The doctor says it should be 2-3 weeks before you completely heal. Here, drink some water."

Moving cautiously, Youngbae reached for the offered cup and took a sip.  The cold liquid ran down his dry throat and a sense of nausea assailed him almost immediately.  He shoved the paper cup away.  "When will this dizzy feeling go away?"

"Oh, that... well, you also have a slight knot on the left side of your head which could be contributing to your dizziness.  It's also a side effect from the pain medications you're receiving because you haven't had anything to eat yet.  It should go away once we get some food in you."

There was a knock at the door. Boram walked over to answer the door and soon thereafter, a nurse walked into the room baring a tray with a syringe and medication vials.  She looked mid-thirties, was slightly overweight, and had chin-length hair.  As soon as she spotted Youngbae, her hands started to visibly shake.  She placed the tray down near the foot of the bed. "Annyeonghaseyo, my name is Soon-yi and I'm here to give you more medicine."

Youngbae nodded slightly and the nurse went over to his intravenous bag to insert more medication into the tubes.  She kept stealing glances his way, but Youngbae pretended to not notice, as he was used to being stared at over the years.  When she finished updating the computer with new stats, she gathered her materials and announced her leaving.  But before she reached the door, she hesitated, turned around and blurted, "Can I please have your autograph?  I'm a huge fan!"

"No, no, no... no autographs please," warned Kim Boram as blocked her access to Youngbae.  His nearly six foot tall frame intimidated the nurse and she backed away slightly. 

"It's okay... I can give an autograph.  It's the least I can do for someone who is doing their best to make me feel comfortable," Youngbae replied before motioning her forward. 

The nurse left the room and Kim Boram faced Youngbae, exasperated.  "You shouldn't have done that.  Do you know that you've caused quite a ruckus here at the hospital? There's just too many fans lined up around the hospital, it's causing issues with the ward and security.  Mr. YG is heading here tonight to talk to the head person to try to get you more security or work something else out.  I, for one, am tired of answering the door every twenty minutes.  Any more of this, and they'll need to issue me my own room due to exhaustion!"

The look on his manager's face is too much.  Youngbae chuckled.  "I've never seen you so worked up like this before.  Alright, I won't give out autographs anymore.  I don't think I can anyway...  the medication must be kicking in because I fell sleepy all of a sudden."

"Well, let me order you some food before you knock out. Maybe we won't have to worry about security once Mr. YG gets it all sorted out."


Meanwhile, four floors above...

YG Entertainment's CEO, Yang Hyun Suk was sitting in Dr. Park's office, dressed in faded blue jeans and a sweater cardigan.  Although his appearance seemed relaxed, his mood and persona were anything but.  Dr. Park hadn't had anyone this prolific in her hospital in a long time.  It took all the hospital's manpower to add all the security that they could, but that didn't stop the nurses from fawning or medical students from gawking at their latest patient.  With her job on the line, Dr. Park knew she needed to make their visitor feel comfortable and safe in the hospital. Her mind was racing for ideas...

"Since Youngbae's injuries will take a couple of weeks to heal and he'll need his injuries looked after daily, can we be given more security or a different section of the hospital for privacy reasons?" asks Mr. YG in his high-pitched nasal tone.  "Surely you can see our circumstances warrant the heightened measures.'

"Yes, I understand your concerns as are we.  It has been quite disturbing to the other patients and their visitors, as well, when they have to wade their way around Big Bang fans to see their own family and friends.  I've viewed the injuries myself and I can see that the majority of the care has already been taken care of during the skin graft surgery.  Fortunately for Youngbae, the rest of his care can be provided at home with the proper supervision."

"Do you have anyone on your staff that is capable of such an assignment?  We would require complete confidentiality."

Dr. Park paused.  She only knew of one person she could assign to the job, but it would be a risk.  "Yes, I have someone that I could assign to Youngbae's care, but... she is not a nurse.  She is still a medical student in her final years of study.  She is also my personal assistant," Dr. Park added, hoping that would be enough for YG to accept her proposal.

"Not a certified professional?  She must be someone you hold in high regards then to even mention her as a possible candidate."

"Yes, she is.  You mentioned you wanted someone that would be discrete and understand complete confidentiality.  This person I speak of can completely understand your position and more.  You see, not only is she my personal assistant, but she is also my goddaughter. I'm sure you've heard of a company called 'KT House of Diamonds' right?"

Yang Hang Suk raised his eyebrows.


Amina unpacked the groceries she bought and set them inside her refrigerator as quickly as she could.  It wasn't much - she never bought enough to fill the darn thing because she was never home, which turned out fine for her because of her strict budget.  But tonight she felt like she couldn't fill it fast enough.  She needed to get out of the apartment and go for a run to clear her mind.

Was the city not big enough? Of all places, she just had to run into her mother while window shopping for furniture. Not only that, but Amina had spotted her there with her cousin, Hanna - the one person she thought she could confide in. She observed them unnoticed for awhile. They looked like they were spending quality bonding time, and Amina could feel the familiar ache and lump forming in her chest as they carried on. But she was careless and Amina was soon spotted outside the store. She heard Hanna call out to her from inside, but Amina was too hurt to pretend politeness today. She turned the opposite direction and quickly headed towards the subway station that would take her home.

Before she could slip on her running shoes, her phone began to ring. It was Dr. Park. "Yoboseyo?"

"Amina-shi... It's June. I need a favor to ask of you. Hopefully you will have time to fit this into your schedule."

"Of course, anything."

"I have a high-profile client that had surgery earlier today, but will be receiving the rest of their medical care from home during their recovery period. Due to the client's request and circumstances, I need to assign someone whom I can trust and understands complete confidentiality. Can I depend upon you?"

"What is all involved? I'm not a certified, nor am I a nurse. Are you sure that's fine with the client?"

"Yes, that has all been explained to the client. I informed them you were my assistant and will be acting upon my orders. You will not be asked to perform anything you haven't already learned or completed on your own in the clinic. Your major responsibilities would be to change the bandages, cleanse the wound, and re-bandaged the site. There will be a little bit of water therapy sessions towards the end, but I will walk you through them.  I will need you to take vitals, ask typical questions, and report your findings to me.  Nothing too tasking, I hope." 

"That sounds pretty simple. What of my duties at the internship?"

"I suspect you'll spend a couple hours a day with the client, for the next two weeks, but I can't have anyone at the hospital find out that you're on this special assignment. If anyone asks, you can tell that them you've been assigned to a patient for in-home care duties but nothing more.  Luckily, school is in winter session, so you won't have any courses to worry about. Oh, and did I mention it pays well?" Dr. Park stated an amount. "And yes, that's per week, not month."

There was a long pause on Amina's side of the phone while she thought it through. She definitely could use the money... It was more than what she would be receiving in an entire month at the hospital. In addition, she would get to prove to her sunbaenim that she was dependable and really wanted the residency position. "Yes, I'm interested.  Where should I meet the patient?"

June gave her the address of the location over the phone.  "I will try to meet you there for the first appointment early tomorrow morning, 9AM.  You'll need to swing by for supplies tonight. Komawo Amina. I know you will do your very best."