Chapter 24

Sun-kissed

"Amina-shi," Yuri knocked quietly on the door, peering in.  "Someone is here to see you."

Amina looked up from the reports she was working on, her eyes immediately turning weary.  She wasn't expecting any visitors today.

"She says she's your cousin, Hanna."

Amina compressed her lips, finding no way out of it now.  "Sure, please tell her to come in."

Yuri nodded.  And stalled.

Amina continued to look at Yuri, wondering why she hadn't left.  "Is there anything else?"

"Neh," Yuri said, uncertain.  "I didn't mean to pry, but... we've known each other for a few years now, and I never knew you were engaged."

Amina stared back, confused.

"Your fiancé... he came by with the flowers the other day." Yuri shrugged her shoulder.

"Ah," Amina nodded, slowly piecing it all together.  She gritted her teeth, finally realizing that it was the same day that Youngbae had come in for his doctor visit.  Curse David! 

Shaking her head, Amina replied, "It's not what you think, Yuri.  He's just a good family friend, that's all."

"Oh..." Yuri replied, understanding.  "So you're not dating him?"

"Ani."

'So is he single?"

"Yuri!" Amina grinned.  "Just go get Hanna."

Yuri smiled impishly and bowed.  "Neh..."

Hanna appeared soon after, her eyes taking in the small, gray, boring office. "So is this where you spend your time nowadays?"

Amina smiled.  "Neh.  Mianhae... I know it's not up to your standards."

Hanna returned her smile and sat gingerly on a chair in front of the desk.  "It's okay, I guess.  For a doctor." She said the last word with disdain.

Grinning, Amina replied, "Well, what brings your highness in today?"

Hanna's face turned serious, the laughter gone from her eyes.  She looked at Amina and voiced her concern.  "You.  You never texted me back from last night.  And you left without a word."  She shook her head, her eyebrows pinching together slightly.  "What's going on?"

"Mianhae..." Amina said with her eyes full of guilt.  "I should have texted you back.  I-I... was going to, today."

"But you still haven't." Hanna pointed out.  "I thought you had forgiven me about your dad..."

"I have," Amina reassured her.  She shook her head. "It's not that."

"Then what is it?  Why are you shutting me out?"

Amina saw the worry in Hanna's eyes.  She appeared vulnerable and hurt.  Amina sighed softly.  She didn't want her unnie to feel this way.  "I'm just not ready to talk about it right now."

"About what?" Hanna asked, confused.  "We always used to talk about everything."

"We did!" Amina exclaimed, her eyes pleading to be understood.  "Back when we used to do everything together.  Back when I didn't have to explain why I chose to do the things I did because you were there with me, experiencing the same things as me."

She saw the pain in Hanna's eyes and looked away.  "It's just harder for me to tell you now."  Amina turned back and faced her.  "You're not in my shoes.  You don't know what I've been through these past few years.  I'd have to explain everything in order for you to understand. And right now, I'm just... tired."

"Mimi...." Hanna quietly said.  "But you're my cousin... practically my sister.  You can tell me anything.  I won't judge you."

Amina could feel the sting of tears in her eyes.  She didn't want to cry again!  She was so sick of crying.  She closed her eyes and forced back the tears.  "I can't..."

"Please... just talk to me. Whatever it is, it can't be that bad."

Amina could see Hanna was being honest with her.  She prayed Hanna wouldn't think ill of her, wouldn't feel ashamed of her, for her moment of weakness.  "Remember when you told me... that if I ever fell in love... that I could just learn to let go?"

Hanna's eyes softened as understanding dawned on her.  "Neh.  I told you to let whatever happen, happen.  And that if it was love... that you would learn to let go."

Amina bitterly bit her bottom lip, her anger slowly surfacing.  "Well, I let whatever happen, happen," she said pointedly, watching Hanna's eyes widen as she took in the meaning.  "Because I fell in love..." Amina wiped the tear that pooled at the corner of her eye and sniffed.  "And now..." She looked up miserably at Hanna.  "Now I can't let go."

"Oh Mimi..." Hanna got up from her chair and went around the desk, opening her arms.  She cradled Amina in her hold, slowly rubbing her back as spasms racked Amina's small body.

"Why unnie? Why does it hurt so much?" sobbed Amina, her face buried against Hanna's chest.

"Shh..." Hanna crooned, trying to comfort Amina as best as she could.  "It'll be alright.  It's still a couple of years out before you have to marry.  You guys will still have enough time to let go," she replied, misunderstanding.

"Ani," sniffed Amina, lifting her head up.  Her eyes were drenched, her nose red. "He doesn't want anything to do with me.  It's over."

Hanna looked down at her, shaking her head slightly.  "He didn't understand?"

Amina wiped her eyes and stood up.  She crossed her arms over her chest and started pacing.  "Ani..." She half-laughed under her breath.  "Why would he?  I just gave myself to him one moment and then told him I was promised to someone else."  She looked at Hanna bitterly.  "How would you have taken it?"

Hanna glanced down, unable to say a word.  She was afraid of this happening but didn't know Amina would fall so quickly.

"I was just stupid.  I should never have led him on when I knew it would get us nowhere." She bit the inside of her cheek, her lips twisting in pain.  "Now I'm hurting... and he's hurting," she choked.  "And it's my entire fault." She sat down on the window sill.

They sat in silence, Amina's last words echoing through both of their minds. 

"So what do you plan on doing?"

Amina's eyebrows shot up slightly, not understanding.  "What do you mean?"

"I mean," Hanna's confident voice rang out.  "Do you want him back? Or is it really over?"

Amina shook her head.  "I told you.  It's over.  It doesn't matter how I feel.  He doesn't want a relationship with me now that he knows I'm destined for someone else."

"Even after you gave yourself to him?" Hanna's eyebrows shot up.  "That should mean something!"

Amina closed her eyes, remembering Youngbae's reaction afterwards.  "It doesn't matter to him.  He still thinks I had other motives.  That I was playing him the entire time."

Hanna scoffed lightly and shook her head.  "And you told him you love him?"

Amina looked at Hanna, her eyes a little bewildered over the thought.  Did she tell him? Amina softly replied, "I don't know... maybe? I didn't say the words exactly, but I know I showed him... doesn't that count?"

Hanna shrugged her shoulders.  "You never know with guys.  They can be dense sometimes."

Amina bitterly replied.  "It doesn't matter now.  I just want to move on and forget this ever happened."

Hanna nodded her head.  "Okay.  If you want to talk more, let me know."  She stood up to leave, her heart aching for Amina.  She hated the pain her cousin was bearing and wished she could do something about it.  A thought occurred to her.

"You know what you need?" smiled Hanna.

Amina smiled weakly in return, "Mwuh?"

"A good vacation!  They say 'time heals everything'. So come with me!"

Confused, Amina replied, "Where?"

"This little resort a couple of hours from here," said Hanna.  "I'm leaving tonight for just a couple of days to get away from work.  And I think you could use the time off too!"

Amina reconsidered her schedule, knowing she would be free.

"C'mon!  We'll drink mimosas all day and get rid of all this guy stress.  What do you say?" Hanna gave Amina her cutest smile, blinking her lashes rapidly.

Amina chuckled.  "Okay.  I'll go with you."


"Do I really have to go?" whined Seungri, his lips pouting slightly, as he folded more clothes inside his suitcase.

"Neh," replied Jiyong.

"But why?"

"Because I said so! Aish!"

Seungri turned his back, his mood turning black. 

"Look dongsaeng, I want you to be there alright?" pleaded Jiyong.  "You and Youngbae need to re-connect." He watched Seungri scoff and shake his head.  "I know he's sorry for what he did to you the other night, so just give him a chance."

Seungri peered at his hyung over his shoulder.  "So why doesn't he just come up here and apologize to me?"

Jiyong raised an eyebrow at him. "Would you believe him?"

"Ani," quipped Seungri, his eyes turning cold.  "I'd make him suffer some more."

Jiyong slapped Seungri lightly upside the head. He pointed a finger in Seungri's face.  "And this is why you get smacked around.  Be ready in 30 minutes." He started to walk out of Seungri's room.

"Hyung!"

Jiyong turned around.

"Is it just going to be us?"

"Actually I have a friend coming to stay with us.  She's the Creative Director that's been working on my jewelry line.  I thought it would be nice for her to relax with us."

Seungri nodded.

Jiyong half-laughed.  "Believe it or not, she's Amina's cousin."

Seungri's eyebrows shot up.  "Jjinja?  That's odd... Heh, what a small world," he pondered.

"Neh."

"Is hyung and Amina still together?"

Jiyong shook his head sadly.  "I don't know."

"Wouldn't it be weird for her cousin to be there then?"

"Oh," replied Jiyong.  "I don't think she knows what's going on between them."

"Huh?"

"Yeah, at the party, it didn't seem like she knew Amina and Youngbae had anything going on.  So, no.  It shouldn't be weird."

Seungri nodded. "You think there's a chance that she could come?"

"Who?"

"Amina."

Jiyong shrugged his shoulders.  "I don't know.  Maybe.  I told Hanna she could invite who ever she wanted."

"Can I invite who ever I want?"

Seungri put his hands up when Jiyong started to advance on him.  "I promise! I'm not going to invite Amina."

"Don't be causing on this trip Seungri," Jiyong warned.

Seungri half-grinned.  "I just want to know if I can bring a friend as well.  It'll be boring there with no one to talk to."

Jiyong eyed the maknae.  He knew damn well that he and Youngbae would be there for him to hang out with.  But he relented.  "Fine. Just make sure to take care of them while you're up there with us.  We have limited staff on hand this time of the year."

"Kamsahamnida," Seungri bowed deeply and grinned.  He watched as Jiyong walked out of the room, closing the door behind him as he left the apartment.

Seungri picked up his cell phone and quickly dialed.

"Oh, Amina-ah.... what are you doing tonight?" He felt his pulse quicken when she replied that she would be leaving out of town with her cousin.  He quickly connected the dots.  "Aww... that's too bad.  I'll have to invite you next time.  Oh, where? Umm..." he quickly made up something.  "The movies.  Neh... Neh... Okay, I'll talk to you later then.  Annyeong!"  He hung up the call, a secretive smile on his face.

He knew he'd probably get hell for it, but why not?  Someone had to do something about the situation.  He thumbed through his contacts and tapped on the one he was looking for.

"Annyeong Ji-Na noona!  It's Seungri... remember me?"


Dolce Vita sat near the edge of the water in Pocheon, Gyeonggido, which was about a two hour ride up north from Seoul.   The million dollar guest house featured eleven bedrooms, two spas with entertainment media center, an infinity edge swimming pool, outside shower, and more. The place was usually run by Jiyong's parents but for the next couple of days, only an on-maintenance supervisor was watching the place while his parents were in the city holiday shopping.  It was the perfect time for Jiyong and his friends to come up and relax and get away from all of their life stresses.

"Pick whatever room you want," said Jiyong to Youngbae, as he headed towards Crayon, the room designated and designed just for him.  The room was the largest in the facility, with two levels containing a kitchen area, indoor and outdoor spa.

Youngbae nodded and headed off towards a room at the end of the hall, one which had open windows that faced the river.  He sighed as he dropped his bags on the floor, taking in the view of the mountainside.  When Jiyong had suggested they all come here for a break, he had balked at first, wanting to be alone.  But now that he was here, he couldn't agree more.  He really needed this time to get away.

After unpacking his bag and toiletries, Youngbae headed back out towards the resting area that served as a kitchen and mini-bar area.  Jiyong was rummaging through the fridge, his back turned towards him.  "So when is Seungri supposed to get here?"

Jiyong popped his head up.  "I think he said he was about an hour behind us.  He went to go pick up a friend."

"A friend?"

Jiyong noticed the worry in his voice.  "Neh.  But he told me it wasn't Amina, if that's what you're worried about."

Youngbae's guard went up.  "Why would I worry?"

"C'mon now," Jiyong put a brown bag on the table.  He was tired of this .  "Look, I know you've been going through your own hell these past couple of days, I get it.  But you can't keep it bottled up inside.  Because one day, you're just going to explode and say things you regret."

Youngbae clamped his mouth shut.  He already knew he was past that stage, the stinging words he said to Amina rushing back.  He nodded. "I know."

They looked at each other silently for a few moments.

"So are you going to tell me why you're not seeing her anymore?"

Youngbae scoffed and hung his head.  "You wouldn't believe me if I told you."

"I'm your friend," Jiyong implored, his eyes understanding.  "Try me."

Youngbae stared at Jiyong, his eyes turning hard for a brief moment.  "She has a fiancé."

Jiyong's eyes widened for a moment.  "You're tin' me right?"

"I wish I was," Youngbae walked away, rubbing a hand over his face.

"Wait, hold up," Jiyong replied, his mind working fast.  "Don't tell me... that David is her fiancé?"

Youngbae turned around and raised an eyebrow, affirming Jiyong's suspicions.

"But they didn't introduce him as such.  Hanna just said he's a close family friend."

"I know.  I'm still confused about that.  Maybe they all knew she was playing me," Youngbae sneered, his anger seeping back.

"Nah, I don't think so man," replied Jiyong. "I can tell that Hanna didn't know what was going on between you and Amina.  She would have been honest from the get go."

The thought nagged in Youngbae's mind, slowly chipping away at his convictions.  Was Jiyong right?  Did he misunderstand this whole time?  He sat down on the barstool and rubbed his jaw, lost in thought. 

"Maybe there's more to the story than you think..." Jiyong advised.

Youngbae looked up at his friend, worried.  Maybe he was right.

The front door chimed and they could hear the supervisor greet a female guest and her companion.  Glancing at the security camera screen nearby, Jiyong could make out Hanna's silhouette.  "That must be Hanna," he said, coming around the kitchen island.

"You invited Hanna?"

"Neh.  I thought she could use a break too from all the promotions.  I'll be right back."  He skirted around the leather couches and headed towards the foyer. 

Youngbae continued to sit in silence, going over everything that he and Amina had said to one another.  He couldn't remember asking her about details of her fiancé.  And at the party, they seemed cordial towards one another, not like a couple in love.  But maybe that was their type of relationship. He just knew that if she was his, everyone would be able to tell.  He gritted his teeth against the pain.

"Neh.  There is plenty of room," came Jiyong's strained response.  Youngbae turned around, wondering what was afflicting Jiyong.  "It's no big deal at all." 

Youngbae could hear the visitors approaching.  They reached the living area and Youngbae immediately noticed her petite figure behind Hanna.  He felt the blood drain from his face.

"Ah, Youngbae!" called out Hanna, her hand raised in greeting.  She smiled.  "Guess we'll be hanging out together these next couple of days."

Youngbae smiled stiffly at her, not trusting his voice at the moment.  He noticed Amina glance at him briefly before returning her gaze back to Jiyong.

"Right this way ladies," Jiyong said, his voice tense.  He looked apologetically at Youngbae, knowing he owed his friend one this time.


"Here, you can stay in 'Butterfly'," said Jiyong, as he opened the door into a brightly colored suite, the yellow focus wall accented with a large butterfly deco-art. 

Amina nodded her thanks and wheeled her luggage in, turning around quickly, her face embarrassed.  She called out his name before he could leave the room.  She raised worried eyes up to him, praying that he would understand.  "Mianhae... when Hanna asked me to join her on this trip, I didn't know it was going to be here.  Please believe me."

Jiyong could see fear in her eyes.  He closed the door behind him to give them privacy.  "I believe you."  He searched her face.  "Is it true?  Do you have a fiancé?"

She quietly responded.  "Neh... but it's not what you think," she rushed out.

Jiyong raised an eyebrow.  "What do you mean? So you're not engaged?"

"Not in the traditional sense, no," replied Amina.  She bit her bottom lip, feeling tears well up again.  "But he won't let me explain. Maybe if you..."

He held his hand up.  "Ani... you better tell him yourself.  It'll be better that way."

Amina nodded.

"Come out when you're ready.  I'm 'cooking'," he grinned.

Amina smiled weakly at him as he closed the door.


After unpacking and freshening up, the girls headed out towards the resting area.  Amina forced a smile on her face, pretending excitement as Hanna exclaimed over all the luxurious details the pension had, from the detailed decor to the top-of-the-line amenities.  "We have to go swimming tomorrow!" Hanna announced.  "Jiyong-ah... is your outdoor pool heated?"

Jiyong looked up at Hanna's smiling face.  "Neh."

Hanna wiggled her eyebrows up and down towards Amina.  "Neh, definitely the pool tomorrow."

Amina nodded, her eyes going directly to what Jiyong was doing.  She vaguely noticed Youngbae sitting alone on the couch, his eyes fixated on the big screen television set.  "Do you need any help?" she offered.

Jiyong looked up from the paper bag.  "Ani... I think I know how to re-heat food."  He heard a popping and sizzling noise in the microwave.  He immediately turned it off and opened the door, the burning smell quickly following.  "Or maybe not."

Amina went around the island and popped on a pair of oven mittens. She cradled the bowl of spicy chicken bulgogi with both hands, setting the container on the counter.  She examined the lid and clucked under her tongue.  "Here's the problem," she announced.  "The edges of the lid are metal. Do you have another bowl?"

Jiyong quickly scoured the cabinets for another bowl and handed it over.  Amina quickly dumped all the food into the new bowl and covered it with plastic wrap before turning on the microwave once more. 

"Aren't you glad I brought Mimi with me?" asked Hanna to Jiyong.

"Neh," he replied good-naturedly.  "I'd probably be eating cold bulgogi if she wasn't here."

"That's right," agreed Hanna.  "Cause I for sure don't know a thing about a microwave."

They both turned to look at her, an incredulous look on their faces.

"Mwuh?" Hanna replied innocently.

Jiyong shook his head.  "Well, we're going to be fending for ourselves these next couple of days.  My mom and dad left for the city, and there's no cook in the building."

"No cook?" worried Hanna.

"Ani," said Jiyong, his smile turning mischievous.  "I guess you're at my mercy."

"And your microwave," said Hanna dully.

"Neh," he grinned.

"Mimi," Hanna whined.  "Please tell me you know how to cook."

Amina looked up from the dishes she was pulling down from the cabinet.  "Neh, unnie.  I'll cook for you."

Hanna lifted her shoulder and grinned at Jiyong.  "If you're nice to us, we'll share."

Jiyong chuckled and turned to Amina.  "Help yourself to whatever in the fridge.  It's stocked, but if there's something else you need just let me know."

Amina nodded.  "So is it just us tonight?"

Jiyong nodded his head.  "Neh.  But Seungri is supposed to be here in a few.  He said he's bringing a friend."

"Okay," Amina replied, pulling down two more plates.

The front door buzzed.  "That should be him now," Jiyong replied.

Youngbae stood up and made his way over to the kitchen, joining the rest of them.  Amina tried her hardest to ignore him, but even in his relaxed sweats and t-shirt, she found him irresistible.  She mentally shook her head to clear it and concentrated on setting the table nearby.

"Youngbae, why don't you help Mimi set up?" inquired Jiyong, inwardly enjoying the dagger that Youngbae shot his way.  He had to find a way for these two to talk, and what better time than now?

Youngbae sighed quietly under his breath, before moving towards Amina.  He looked into her eyes, seeing her skittish reaction and wondered what that was all about.  He took the plates from her out stretched hands and headed towards the dining table.  He could hear her grab silverware and cups behind him.

"What's up!" Seungri called out, startling Hanna out of her seat. 

Jiyong laughed.

"Seungri..." Youngbae nodded.

"Hyung!  You remember Ji-Na noona, right?" Seungri said, drawing attention to the leggy bombshell behind him.

They all turned to stare as Ji-Na sashayed her way towards Youngbae, wrapping her lush body around him.  "Oppa!" she whined.  "I've missed you!"