Chapter 38

Sun-kissed

"Yoboseyo?"

"Where are you?" Hanna asked worriedly, her voice slightly high pitched.

"I'm almost home. What's wrong?" Amina glanced over at Youngbae, finding his concerned eyes on her. They were driving on the highway, heading towards her apartment.

"Your parents... they know."

"Mwuh?" Amina exclaimed. She felt her heart fall out of her chest. "What do you mean 'they know'?"

"Your mom... she was watching the news last night and saw the picture of you and Youngbae-ah.  Of course, she told your dad... who later called and grilled me."  She took a deep breath and continued.  "I told them there must be a mistake... that it couldn't be you.  But your mom.  She said she could recognize your profile from anywhere."

Amina couldn't speak.

"Mianhae Mimi.  I tried my best to play it off, but your dad was still unconvinced.  They want you to come home. Now."

"Come home?"

"Neh... I think they just want to hear it from you.  Mianhae..." Hanna apologized once more.  "They want me to take you to see them today.  What time should I pick you up?"

Amina looked bewildered, her voice shaking.  "I-I'm not going back."

"Mwuh?  What do you mean?"

"That's what I mean... I'm not going back."  She felt Youngbae's hand cover hers and looked over at him.

"I'll go with you," he said, his eyes steady.

"Ani." She didn't want him to meet her family, nor did she want her parents to meet him.  They wouldn't understand.  He wouldn't understand.  Their lives were too different.

Youngbae took the phone from her hand.  "Hanna-ah... It's Youngbae."  He heard the surprise in her voice. "I'll drive her home.  Neh.  Annyeong."  He terminated the call and handed the phone back to Amina.  He didn't say anything as he continued to watch the road.

Amina could tell by the set line of his jaw that he wasn't going to back down.  She shoved the phone back into her bag and looked out the passenger window.  There were a million things running through her mind.  The first and foremost were her parent's reaction. They would be livid.  Beyond livid. She could hear the stream of lectures heading her way now.

Her next thought was of Youngbae.  Once he found out how her family truly was... she wondered if he would still stick around.  Her mother could be a loose canon at times.  She hoped they would save the drama for later... and at least be civil while Youngbae was in their presence.

He turned into the parking garage and found a spot near the entrance.  He cut off the engine and turned towards her. 

"Tell me what you're thinking."  He could see the worry in her eyes.

"Nothing."

"Don't lie..."

She looked away, not wanting him to see how upset she felt.  She quietly replied, "I don't think you should go with me."

"Wae?"

"My parents..." she began.  "My parents aren't like yours."

Youngbae looked at her, his eyes gentle.  "I've met a lot of people in my lifetime.  I'm sure I can handle yours."

"Ani..." She turned towards him. "It won't be like that this time." She swallowed the lump of frustration in .  "They'll be angry at me. And I don't want them to take it out on you."

He cupped her chin so he could look into her eyes.  "I want to be there... for you.  Good or bad.  We're in this together.  Alright?"

She nodded her head slowly, his words slowly sinking into her.

"I'll be back as soon as I'm done with my meeting."

"Okay."

He hated the sadness that lingered in her eyes.  It was as if... she had given up.  Youngbae leaned down and placed a slow kiss on her lips, silently willing her worries away.  "I'll be back soon."

Amina could see the reassurance in his eyes, but it wasn't enough.  She nodded her head and took one last look at him before she exited the vehicle.  Her heart felt heavy as she made her way upstairs.  The moments of happiness they shared a few hours ago seemed so far away.


"Come in."

Youngbae strode forward and greeted his sunbaenim, bowing deeply.  He felt amazingly calm considering the circumstances.  But he knew it was because his thoughts were still on Amina.  One way or another, he was going to make it work for them.  He took a seat in front of the glass desk and waited for President Yang Hyun Suk to begin. 

"You know why I called you in today."

"Yeh," Youngbae bowed shortly in his seat.

"This is very uncharacteristic of you," Hyun Suk said, his eyes steely.  "I would have expected this from Seungri... but not from you."

Youngbae clenched his jaw, his eyes downcast.

"As one of the older members in the group, I expect you to set an example for the others.  And parading a relationship in public is not only detrimental to yourself but to your other band mates as well."  He stared at Youngbae, seeing the tension radiate from his body.  Although Youngbae wouldn't look at him in the eye, he could tell that his shoulders were stiff, his demeanor defiant.

"What do you have to say for yourself?"

Youngbae took a moment to gather his thoughts.  He knew the right words he needed to say, the ones his sunbaenim would expect to hear from him.  But he couldn't find it in his heart to speak the words out loud.

"You know that I would never do anything to smear the image of this company.  Everyone I work with... the producers, the make-up artists... the stage crew.  The band members.  They are my family," Youngbae said.  "I'm not impulsive nor would I do anything without thinking it through first."

Hyun Suk nodded, mulling Youngbae's words thoughtfully.

"The words I uttered... in what seems to be," he paused, biting his lip.  "In what seems to be a moment of forgetfulness, was quite the opposite."  Youngbae looked into Mr. YG's eyes, his words heavy.  "I thought about it... long and hard.  The words I said... were from the heart.  I won't take them back."

Hyun Suk looked at Youngbae.  He could see that Youngbae meant every word he said and it made him... proud.  He had known Youngbae for almost half his life and, like everyone else, he had worried about Youngbae.  When the lights were on, Youngbae gave it his all - in the studio, on stage.  But it was during times where Youngbae was alone, when he had time to self-reflect, that worried Hyun Suk.  He was relieved to hear that Youngbae had someone in his life now - someone to share his burdens with.

"I can see that you've thought this through," said Mr. YG.  "That is all that I wanted to hear."

A surprise look came over Youngbae's face.

Hyun Suk smiled.  "Neh... that is all."

Youngbae froze in his seat, unable to believe what he was hearing.  Surely, he wasn't getting off that easily.

Hyun Suk laughed at Youngbae's incredulous expression.  "If there's anyone in the group that could withstand to have a public open relationship, it would be you."  He smiled.  "Based on public relations findings, it appears netizens are receptive of your new-found relationship."

Youngbae felt his cheeks heat.  "Yeh?"

"Neh... I think most people are celebrating the fact that you actually have a girlfriend now."

Youngbae scoffed underneath his breath and looked away, his ears burning in embarrassment.  He heard Mr. YG continue to chuckle at him and found his lips curving against his will.  "Is it so hard to believe?"

Hyun Suk smiled.  "Ani... I knew it was only a matter of time before you found someone."

Youngbae raised an eyebrow at that statement.

"You're opening up more... becoming more of yourself.  When you open yourself to others... others open themselves up to you.  I'm just thankful that you chose a good person to open yourself up to."

"So does this mean you approve?"

Mr. YG nodded his head briefly.  "So what did she say?  When she found out you told the world she was your girlfriend?"

Youngbae appeared flustered, suddenly shy.  "Uh..." He tugged on his earlobe and looked up at his sunbaenim.  "She cried."

"She cried?"  Hyun Suk's nasally pitched voice rose.  He looked on the verge of laughter.

"Yeh... she was so angry at me..." Youngbae cut off, embarrassed to say anything further.

A lopsided grin appeared on Hyun Suk's face.  "I see you still have your way with women." He watched as Youngbae blushed.  "It's alright... you will learn in time."

Youngbae nodded.

"I assume you will be more discreet from here on out?"

"Yeh."

"I'm sure she will appreciate it."

Youngbae smiled. "Yeh..."

Mr. YG nodded.  "Have you prepared... in case her information becomes known?"

Youngbae paused. He shook his head solemnly.  "Aniyo... I have not.  But I guess I'll get my first run of it today."  He looked up at his sunbaenim's puzzled expression.  "I'm meeting her parents this afternoon."

"So soon?"

"Yeh.  Not by choice though," Youngbae added, his eyes full of regret.  "It seems her parents found out last night while watching the news."

Hyun Suk was silent for a moment.  "A few words of advice, if I may?"

Youngbae nodded.

"I don't know the Euns personally.  But I know enough of them.  You see, I am familiar with her uncle.  He's in the commercial construction business and is currently working on a side project for me."  He looked at Youngbae with stern eyes.  "From what I gather, they were a chaebol until over twenty years ago when they had a fall out.  His brother kept the jewelry business, while he kept the commercial construction side."

"They are still civil to each other," Hyun Suk continued.  "But barely.  I would be quick to assume that there is still tension between the brothers."

It was news to Youngbae.  Just another one of many things he was still getting to know about her.  He nodded again.

"I tell you this so you will know before meeting them.  They are a serious family... and will not take lightly to any news that will ruin what little empire they have left.  Prepare yourself."

"Yeh," Youngbae bowed slightly and tucked the information away.


A knock at the door.

Amina unlocked the door to her apartment and swung it open.  Her heartbeat quickened.  It always did when she saw him.

"Are you ready?" Youngbae asked, his eyes taking her in from head to toe.

"Neh," Amina replied, stepping back so he could come in.  She closed the door behind him.  "I just need to grab my purse."

She had changed into a plain white blouse and black slacks.  Her hair was pulled in a half up-do, her make-up simple.  She was dressed like the day he first met her - too conservative, too severe, for his taste.

"Should I have changed too?" he asked teasingly, his eyes going towards his own wardrobe which consisted of his usual black on black.  At least he had chosen to wear a sweater today instead of his usual tee.

"Ani..." Amina quickly spoke.  Her eyes grew sad as she half-jokingly replied.  "They'll hate you no matter what you wear..."

"Hate me?"

"Mianhae..." She quickly back-tracked, her face heating at her choice of words.  "I-I didn't mean to be so blunt."  She bit her bottom lip and shrugged her shoulders pathetically.  "But I'm just being honest."  She looked into his eyes.  "You really don't have to go with me."

He stepped up to her and placed his hands on her waist.  "I'm going with you.  End of story."

Amina nodded her head quietly.  "Promise me something..."

"Anything."

"Whatever they say... or do.  Promise me... you won't let it get to you."

He smirked a little, letting her words roll off his shoulders.

"I'm serious," she warned.  Her eyes grew intense.  "Promise me you won't dwell on their words or actions."

"I can't..." he replied with a determined voice.  "Not until I know how you are after we're done with the meeting."  His eyes turned cold, his body language defensive. He hated the worry she was feeling.  Hated how much it frightened her.  "Whatever happens to you... happens to me."

Amina glanced down, eyeing the center of his chest.  She knew what was going to happen.  And his words only scared her more.  "Ani... you shouldn't go with me."  She started to step out of his embrace.

Youngbae blocked her from moving further away.  He tugged her closer to him, hugging her against his torso.  He grudgingly spoke against her temple.  "I promise... I'll do my best to be good," he bit out.

Amina sighed and rested her head against him.  It was the best that she was going to get out of him. 

"What's that?"  He grew alarmed as he eyed the small carry-on bag that sat on the kitchen counter.  "Are you moving back with them?"

Amina lifted her head and turned towards his inquiry.  A bashful smile lit her face as she burrowed her face into his neck.  "Ani," she half-laughed under her breath.  "That's for your place."

"Neh?" Youngbae asked with a smile in his voice.  He brushed his lips against her forehead.

"Neh.  You said a few items..."

He looked around her sparse apartment.  "You don't want to pack more?  A few more things and I'm sure there won't be anything left that you need to come back for."

Amina smiled into his shirt.  "You really want me to move in with you..."

"Neh... and stay forever." His lips grazed down the side of her face, searching until he found the heat of .  He lightly rubbed his soft lips against hers before claiming them inside his own.  He broke off and waited for her to respond.

Amina stared dreamily into his eyes.  "Well... we could always take the painting with us."

He looked over her shoulder to where the ugly vase painting was propped up against the counter wall.  He scrunched his nose and grimaced.  "Ani... we should leave that for the next tenant."

Amina grinned.  "Ani... we have to keep it.  And pass it on... to our kids... and their kids." Her voice turned soft and velvety as she gazed lovingly up at him.

Youngbae returned her smile, feeling his heart skip a beat.  He was enjoying their banter way too much. "Neh... but how will we determine which of the seven will get to keep it?"

"S-seven?" Amina laughed in disbelief.

"Neh... one for every day of the week."  He smiled into her eyes.

She felt her stomach dip and felt the flutter of butterflies.  "I don't know about seven.... Maybe two."

He pouted ily, his lower lip sticking out at her.  "I really wanted a big family."

Amina couldn't resist.  She clamped his bottom lip between her teeth, worrying the flesh lightly before she sweetly kissed it.  She grinned up at him.  "Maybe three..."

"Maybe... now."  He opened his mouth upon hers, feeling her tongue slide against his as they met halfway.  They clung onto each other for several seconds before she broke off their kiss.

"We need to get going," she breathlessly said, pressing her swollen lips together.

"Neh," Youngbae replied, the desire in his eyes clearing up.  "Let's get this over with."


Youngbae stared at the sprawling mansion before him, taking in the snow covered grounds with an appreciative eye.  The two-story home was grand and spoke of old money.  He watched as Amina nervously unlocked the front door, her hands shaking visibly.

"Should we have called first?" he asked.

"Ani... my parents are usually home," Amina replied over her shoulder.  "Well, at least my mother always is."  She unlocked the front door and swung it open.  She smiled as a familiar face came by.  "Annyeonghasaeyo Mrs. Oh."  She bowed and greeted the elder woman.

Mrs. Oh bowed deeply, her smiling face crinkling up happily.  "Ms. Amina-ah... This is a surprise.  It's so good to see you back home!"  She impulsively hugged Amina, her eyes glistening with unshed tears. 

Amina returned her squeeze, her heart aching.  It had been too long since she'd seen everyone.  "Neh... I'm so glad to see you again too."  She turned towards Youngbae.  "This is my friend, Youngbae-sshi.  This is our housekeeper and cook, Mrs. Oh."

Youngbae smiled and bowed deeply.  "So I have you to thank for all the delicious meals Amina-ah prepares."

Mrs. Oh blushed in pleasure, while Amina's face turned red for other reasons.  She flashed him a warning with her eyes.

He felt his ears burn slightly, feeling thoroughly chastised. 

"Kamsahamnida... I tried to teach her as much as I could while she was still here."  She turned towards Amina.  "I'm glad you still remembered."

"Neh... although my skills are greatly lacking against yours.  You'll have to teach me another dish soon."

"Will you be staying for dinner?"

Amina glanced at Youngbae before replying. "Aniyo... we're just here to visit with my parents.  Are they around?"

Mrs. Oh's face fell.  "They should be here soon.  They stepped out about thirty minutes ago to run to the bank, but should be back shortly."

Amina nodded her thanks.  "We'll wait for them then."

Mrs. Oh bowed and returned to the kitchen, leaving the two alone.

Youngbae turned towards Amina, his face apologetic.  "Mianhae... it just slipped."

"Try to not let it happen again," Amina begged. "I don't want to raise any more questions today."

Youngbae nodded, her words well noted.  He looked around the massive foyer, taking in the crystal chandelier and marble tiled floors.  There was a grand sweeping staircase that swept the side of the entrance, heading upstairs.  "You actually lived here?"

"Neh..." Amina replied, self-depreciatively. She glanced around, taking the sights in as if it were the first time.  "It's like a museum, huh?"  They were quiet as they both observed their surroundings.  "I have a couple of things I need to grab from my room.  Come on."

Youngbae raised an eyebrow as he watched her climbed the staircase.  He followed her hesitantly, his eyes glancing down corridors as they walked along.

Amina opened the first door to her right, turning on the lights to her room.  It faced the front driveway and had an outdoor balcony.  She bit her bottom lip as memories rushed over her.  The room was the same as the day she moved out.  She headed towards the walk-in closet in search of her hidden jewelry box.

Youngbae paused outside the doorway to her room.  It was massive in comparison to what he was used to.  In fact, her whole room was probably the size of his entire apartment or more.  It was pink and frilly, like a teenager's bedroom.  The furniture was heavy mahogany and gilded with gold accents.  He would bet his money that it was real too. 

When she didn't appear back fast enough, he took a deep breath and stepped inside the room.  The thick, plush carpet absorbed his footsteps as he traveled the distance towards her.  He could hear her rustling around.  "Do you need any help?" he quietly asked.  He looked around the large closet, finding all sorts of clothes hanging in neat order.  Shoes and belts had their own shelves.

He spied something familiar behind a space in-between her hanging blouses.  "What the...?"

Amina glanced over her shoulder, hearing Youngbae's surprised voice.  She felt her face heat and quickly scrambled into a standing position, rushing over to block him.

He grinned in disbelief and chuckled quietly to himself.  "What is that?" he asked while reaching behind her in an attempt to move the shirts out of his way.

"Yah!"  Amina exclaimed, her face flush with embarrassment. She shoved his hands down. "It's nothing."

Youngbae narrowed his eyes.  "Is that... my face?" He jabbed his inner cheek with his tongue, sliding it over his teeth.  He brushed her hands aside and pushed her clothes out of the way.  Sure enough, there was a magazine page of him taped up against the wall.  It was from his early debut days, back when they were still in their hip hop phase. 

He grinned down at her, his eyes filled with laughter.  He could tell that she was beyond embarrassed and it made him fall in love with her even more. 

"Aigoo...." Amina uttered under her breath, as she quickly turned around and took down the poster. Her hands shook and she accidentally tore the corners where the picture was taped.  She felt her heart pound loudly in her ears.  Of all days...

He hugged her from behind, his quiet laughter shaking his body against hers.  "Jagi... there's nothing to be embarrassed about."

"That's easy for you to say... you don't have pictures of me all over your walls."

Youngbae turned her around to face him.  He gazed at her with tenderness.  "Are there more?"

She looked miserably at him and quickly knew the answer.

He smiled in pleasure.  It was too easy to .  "Do you want an autograph now or later...?"

"Shut up..." Amina begged quietly, beyond mortified.

He chuckled and bent down to kiss her lips.

Amina quickly dodged his kiss, turning her face to the side.  He kissed her cheek instead while she held herself stiffly in his arms.

He pulled back and looked at her, his eyes still full of merriment.  "Jagi... if I could of, I would have put pictures of you all over my walls too."

She glanced up at him, her embarrassment still lingering.

"I'm flattered."

Amina gazed into his eyes, seeing the sincerity there.  But she still felt vulnerable... her hidden girl crush secret exposed.  "I knew I should have chosen Seungri instead."

He grinned, not buying her comment.  "Seungri, huh?"  He leaned into her, his grip on her body tightening.

"Neh... at least he turned out to be a gentleman. He wouldn't have teased me about it."

Youngbae nodded, his eyes solemn.  "You're right... he wouldn't have teased you about it," he said with a straight face.  "He would have probably helped you put up more pictures of him instead."

Amina felt her lips curve up against her will, laughter filling her eyes. 

"Neh... should we call him now?  I'm sure he could spare a few posters from his emergency stock pile to share with you."  He looked around at her closet.  "And I'm pretty sure he wouldn't put them in your closet, hidden from everyone's view."

"Does it bother you?"  She teasingly asked him.  "That you were my dirty little secret?"

"Was I?" he asked, his eyes turning soft as he gazed tenderly at her.

"Neh," she nodded her head slightly, never taking her eyes off him.  "Every morning and night, I'd start and end my day here with you."

"Talking to me?" He watched as a small smile formed on her lips. He dipped his face closer to hers.

"Blowing kisses at me?"

Amina blushed.

"Undressing for me?" he whispered. His eyes burned into hers.

She nodded quietly.

"Now I'm jealous..."

Amina saw the desire that pooled his eyes, turning them black, right before he pressed his lips against hers.  She closed her eyes as he probed with his tongue.  She opened up for him, kissing him back hungrily.  She felt her legs begin to shake and wrapped her arms around his neck.  He pressed harder against , deepening their kiss.

The sound of the security alarm chime went off as someone entered the house.  It was followed by the sound of footsteps and her mother's loud voice asking whose car was in the driveway.

Amina quickly broke off their kiss, her eyes going wide with apprehension.  "They're back."