Chapter 29

Sun-kissed

"Hyung?" Seungri called out, watching Youngbae frantically scramble down the rocky path.  He was still in his sweats and t-shirt, but he didn't have on his coat ...or shoes.  Seungri became alarmed.  He looked towards the river and searched for Amina but all he could see was empty frozen ice.

Seungri noticed the direction of Youngbae's path and stood up, pulling Gaho and Jolie with him.  He started running towards Youngbae.  "Hyung!"

Youngbae dove in after her, the icy water hitting his body like a brick wall, taking his breath away.  He desperately reached out his hands to his sides, searching for anything.  He came up and took in more air, diving back down, deeper this time.  He kicked to his right and felt the edge of her coat.  He felt time stop as he grabbed a fistful of the material and yanked it towards him. 

He felt her fingers grab hold of him, its strength pulling him down slightly. Youngbae wrapped his arms around her body and kicked up hard towards the surface.  He broke the water first, pulling her against his chest.  "Rope!" he yelled.  "Give me a rope!"  He looked down into her face, her skin pale and blue.  He clenched his teeth in agony, feeling helpless.

Amina choked on her first breath of air, gasping and coughing hard as water sputtered from .  She fought and struggled against him, her body still in shock.

"Baby! Baby! Look at me!" Youngbae urged, cupping her face still.  He searched her face, noticing her dilated eyes.

"Bae?" she whispered, her eyes filling with tears.

Seungri's hands were shaking badly as he took the leash off Gaho's collar and threw it into the water.  Youngbae grabbed the rope and held on as Seungri pulled them towards the edge.  "Take her!" he ordered, pushing Amina onto the frozen ice with his shoulder.  Seungri grabbed her under the armpit and pulled her out of the water, dragging her away from the river. 

Youngbae pulled himself out of the water and followed them.  He dropped down on his knees and pulled her into his arms, rocking her against his chest.  He felt her shudder in his embrace.  "I need to get you inside," his voice shook.  He looked over at Seungri who was watching them. He became enraged, his voice trembling in anger.  "Grab the dogs!" he sneered, "Unless you want someone else's life in your hands."

Seungri fell out of his trance, suddenly realizing where he was at.  "N-neh..." He watched as Youngbae hoisted Amina into his arms and carried her back towards the pension.


Youngbae pushed the door to his room open and carried her to the bed.  He sat her against the headboard, pulling her knees towards her chest.  "Sit here," he said, wrapping the blankets around her.  Amina's eyes were still cloudy with confusion, panicking him.  He moved the wet strands of hair that covered her face.  "I'll be back," he promised.

Moving quickly, he went into the bathroom and turned the tub faucet on full blast, adjusting the temperature of the warm water.  He grabbed clean towels off the rack and brought it back to her.  Youngbae started drying her hair, ringing the wetness from the long limp strands.  He sat back and started untying her shoes, gently removing them off her frozen feet.  He peeled back her socks and cursed.  Her feet were frozen blue.

Youngbae looked into her face and saw her lips tremble.  Her body was starting to shake slightly from the aftermath.  He took that as a good sign.  "Baby, I need to get these wet clothes off you.  Okay?"  He saw her nod slightly, calming him.  Youngbae reached up and took the rest of her jacket off and slowly peeled off her thin sweater, keeping her lacy peach bra on.  Her skin felt clammy against his hands.

He ed the fly of her jeans and gently nudged her to lie down on the bed so he could pull them off of her.  He worked the jeans down her limbs, taking extra care to not disturb her frozen skin.  He looked over at the large tub and could see that it was almost filled to the top.  "C'mon," he urged, standing Amina up.  Tucking the blankets around her, Youngbae walked them towards the bathroom.  They reached the door when Seungri came in.

"Hyung," Seungri said, his voice full of worry. 

Youngbae left Amina's side, his eyes furious. 

Seungri took in Amina's sad state as she leaned heavily against the bathroom doorframe, from her wet soaked hair to her pale face. He looked up at Youngbae's advance.  Seungri shook his head. "Mianhae hyung, I should have watched her more carefully."  He winced as Youngbae shot his left forearm against his chest and violently shoved him hard against the wall.  Seungri closed his eyes and waited for pain to shoot across his face.

But the blow never came.

Seungri opened his eyes and in a breath.  He had never seen such agony on his hyung's face.  Youngbae's eyes were deep pools of black, his teeth bared, his mouth twisted in pain. Seungri never wanted to see his hyung hurt like this.  He silently wished for Youngbae to hit him instead.

"D-don't f-fight..." Amina stuttered, as more cold chills racked her body.  She clasped the blankets closer to her body, her fingers shaking from the effort.

Youngbae forcefully shoved Seungri once more against the wall, before letting go.

Seungri walked backwards, back out into the hallway.  "Mianhae hyung," he pitifully began again, watching the door slam in his face. He stood outside, feeling hot tears spring to his eyes.  "," he whispered to himself. 


Youngbae locked the door and walked past Amina, not wanting her to see how furious he was.  A tick had started on the left side of his face.  He had never been so mad at someone in his life before and didn't trust himself right now.  He turned off the water in the tub, testing the temperature with his fingers. He felt her walk up behind him.

He stood up and peered down into her face.  Still fuming, he searched for an off topic to settle his anger.  "Baby, your lips are blue."

Amina looked up into his face and could see the stormy rage simmering inside him.  She didn't want him angry at anyone. It was no one's fault but her own.  "W-well y-you don't l-look so h-hot either," she shuddered, her lips trembling.

Youngbae felt his lips quirk up slightly at her response.  But it wasn't enough to damper the pain he felt inside.  His eyes were in agony as he took her in, feeling his lips quiver slightly.  His nostrils flared as he felt angry tears burn in the back of his eyes.  He worked his jaw, biting his lip to still them. Youngbae looked away and cleared his throat.  "Let's get you in," he said, tugging the blanket off her body.

She placed a hand on his arm to stop him.  He looked into her eyes.  "Y-you too. I'm not getting in w-without you."

Youngbae looked down at himself.  The adrenaline had kept him from realizing how cold and frozen he felt, but now he could feel the physical cold pain beneath his wet clothes.  The prickling sensations numbed his entire body.  "Neh," he replied.  "I'll go in after you're finished."

"A-ani." Tears were suddenly swimming in her eyes. She felt exhausted and didn't have the energy to argue with him.  "Now," she begged. Even if her body was physically still in shock, her mind was still working.  She knew he needed to warm up soon before he suffered from hypothermia.

He could see how much it upset her.  He nodded his head slowly.  "Okay."

Amina held onto his arms and gingerly climbed into the large tub with his help. She assumed the water was warm.  She couldn't tell.  Her limbs were still numb from the frozen river.  She sunk down as far as she could, until the water covered her shoulders and lapped at her chin.  She tucked herself into a ball and heard Youngbae behind her, pulling off his soaked garments.  The water rippled slightly as he climbed in after her.

The tub was large enough that he could sit on his side and not touch her.  But she didn't care. She knew they both needed to warm up quickly.  Amina turned towards him, ignoring the surprised expression on his face.  She climbed into his lap and tucked her face in the crook of his neck, wrapping her arms around his cold body. 

Youngbae adjusted them and wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her more securely in-between his legs.  Her side was pressed up against his chest, her legs entangled with his. He sank down until the water covered both of them from the shoulders down.

They sat there, arms wrapped around one another, as the water warmed their bodies from the outside in.  Amina closed her eyes as she felt her body shudder uncontrollably against his.  He gripped her tighter, as if to still her chills. 

Youngbae rubbed his cheek across the top of her head.  It was more to comfort him than anything else.  He squeezed his eyes shut.  He'd nearly lost her a few moments ago... and it scared him to death. Youngbae could still feel his heart pound unevenly, his nerves on the verge of breaking.  He took a few deep breaths to clear his mind.  He hugged her closer to him, reassuring himself that she was there with him... and alive.  He didn't want to go through this again. Ever. There had to be a way...

Eventually Amina regained some feeling in her toes.  She wiggled them, brushing it up against Youngbae's calf, distracting him from his thoughts.  He looked down at her, his eyes still filled with concern.

"Are you warming up?" he asked her.

Amina nodded her head, the tip of her cold nose rubbing him lightly in the chest.  "Neh."  She hugged him closer to her and sighed quietly. "You?"

He made a noncommittal sound.

Amina felt her eyelids grow heavy.  She let out a small yawn.

Youngbae looked down at her and worried.  "Don't fall asleep.  I need to take you to the hospital to get checked out"

"Ani," Amina murmured into his chest.  "I don't need to go."

"Aish..." he grunted, irritated.  "Just because you're studying to be a doctor doesn't mean you can diagnose yourself whenever.  You need to be examined just in case."

"In case what?" she asked in an arrogant tone.

"I don't know," he shook his head.  "In case you have any fluid in your lungs or skin damage from the icy water... I don't know."

She scoffed lightly under her breath.

"...or maybe the river's frozen your heart."

She pushed up and looked at him, with fire in her eyes, just as he hoped.  "I'm fine," she spat out and rested her head back on his chest.

"Just go see a doctor for me."

Amina remained quiet against him, refusing to respond.

"Jagi..." he quipped.

"Neh!  I'll go see Dr. Park tomorrow," Amina begrudgingly replied against his chest.

Satisfied, he hugged her closer to him, settling his neck back against the side of the tub.  He was enjoying the soft feel of her body pressed up against him more than he could have imagined. He wasn't going to fight his feelings tonight. He closed his eyes in surrender.

Amina leaned away slightly and slid up against his chest so she could peer into his face.  The friction from her lacy bra caused his stomach to quiver.

"Youngbae-sshi."

He refused to open his eyes.

"Bae-yah..." Amina gently coaxed once more. He slit his eyes opened and peered at her.  Her face inches away from his.  Youngbae saw the concern in her eyes and felt alarmed.  He opened his eyes fully, giving her his full attention.

Amina searched his face.  "Don't be mad at Seungri."  She felt him tense underneath her.  "Please."

Youngbae swallowed hard.  "You could have died."

"But I didn't."  She shook her head slightly and begged again.  "Please, don't be mad at him.  It'll eat him up inside."

"Maybe that's what he deserves."

"Don't...." Amina quietly warned.  "I want you to tell him you're not mad at him.  Promise me you will."

He looked away from her. 

"Promise me."

His jaw tensed up as he contemplated her request.

Amina felt the frustration mount inside him.  She raised her fingers and gently his lower jaw.  "Please oppa," she whispered. She raised her eyes at him and waited.

He turned his head to peer back at her but didn't say a word.

"God you're stubborn," she admonished, sliding back down his chest.

He stopped her mid-way, tugging her back up to him.  Youngbae looked solemnly into her eyes and replied, "I'll talk to him."

"Gomawo," Amina said, placing a slow kiss on his lips. His brown honeyed eyes watched her intently.  She could tell something was weighing on his mind.  "Mwuh?" Amina gently asked. 

He shook his head marginally, his eyes never leaving hers.  "I don't understand."

Confused, Amina raised her eyebrows slightly, waiting for him to explain.

"How can you tell me you want to be friends... and then kiss me?"

She felt heat flood her cheeks, her eyes turning cautious. "Mianhae... I..." She felt her lips tremble slightly.  "I won't do it again." She lowered her face, her forehead brushing against his cheek.  She hated how hypocritical she felt inside.  He was right.  She needed to stop.

He raised his hand and gently placed it under her chin, forcing her to meet his eyes.  "You said you wanted to be friends."

"Neh..." Amina whispered.

"But I never said I wanted to be friends..."  He lowered his face and gently placed a light kiss on her lips, watching her eyes dilate and turn to dark pools of desire.  "So that means I can kiss you whenever I want." He placed another kiss on the corner of her lips, rubbing his nose gently against hers. 

She let out a shaky breath, her eyes haunted.  "I don't know..." she replied, unsure whether or not he had asked a question or if it was a statement.

Youngbae could see she was close to caving in.  He gently took her bottom lip and worried it in-between his, his tongue lightly sweeping across its fullness.  He eased back and spoke, his words creating puffs of air against her now wet-lips.  "Maybe we can be friends... later."

He watched her eyes change as the meaning of his words sunk in.  But instead of revulsion, he saw her doubt herself, considering his offer.  A myriad of emotions crossed her face.  He could tell she was fighting her own demons inside.

"Think about it," he tenderly caressed her cheek with his mouth, watching her eyes close.  "And tell me tonight."  Youngbae knew he could have his way with her then and there in the garden tub, but it wouldn't resolve anything for him.  He needed to distance himself so she could make the decision on her own.  With a clear mind. Youngbae eased up on his haunches and, using the edge of the tub for leverage, pushed himself up in a standing position. 

Amina averted her eyes, catching a glimpse of the outline of his boxers as he stood up. It seemed she wasn't the only one affected by their closeness.  She heard him pull off the rest of garment as it smacked wetly against the tiled floor.  She felt her face flush. After more rustling, she looked up at the sound of his voice.  "Here," he said, holding a guest towel out to her.  He was bare-chested with only a white towel wrapped around his waist.

She took the towel from his outstretched hands and eased herself out of the tub, sitting on the edge.  She sat with her back towards him, her feet still in the water.  Taking the towel, she lowered her head and flipped her hair forward, catching the wet strands in the towel.  After wrapping her hair and securing the ends of the towel on top of her head, she turned to him.  He was still watching her intently, the concern not leaving his eyes.  "Do you have another towel?"

He watched the slow rise and fall of her chest, still searching for signs of trauma.  Her skin still seemed too pale for him, but the blueness had faded and her lips and face had regained color. Satisfied that she was close to normal as possible, he blinked out of the trance her s had on him and replied in a guy-like manner, "I gave you a towel... and you use it for your hair."

"Neh..." Amina replied cheekily.  "We girls need more than one towel to dry off you know."

Youngbae glanced at the puddle of towels he had already used up near the edge of the bed.  "I know..." he muttered.  He glanced back at her.  "That's the last clean towel in the room."

He watched her face fall in disappointment.

"Unless you want this one." His hand inching towards the towel wrapped around his hips.

"Ani!" Amina shrieked, watching a grin spread across his face.  Some of the fire went out of her as she felt her heart flutter at his smile.  "D-don't you have like a bathrobe in this room or something?  I'm sure there's like two to every room."

Youngbae glanced around the glass enclosed bathroom.  "Where?"

"In the closet," Amina explained, watching him head towards the double door closet next to the bedroom door.  He slid open one side, revealing his clothes hanging in neat organized rows. He turned back towards her, his eyebrow raised skeptically.

"On the bottom shelf," Amina said.  She felt like smiling.  She hadn't had to give someone orders this much in a long time.

"Ah," he said, pulling a robe out of the closet.  "This robe..." He walked back to her sheepishly and handed it to her.

"Hmm," she uttered, her eyes twinkling.

Youngbae grinned as he walked out of the bathroom, giving her privacy.  He searched through his closet for a set of dry clothes for himself, quickly pulling on a clean pair of boxers and sweats.  He rummaged through his luggage and pulled aside an extra pair of clean sweats and T-shirt.

Amina stood up and, using the barrier of the bathrobe to shield herself, she removed her wet undergarments. She could see that his room was a lot larger than hers.  Room Haru Haru was decorated in shades of orange and black.  It even had its own mini-kitchen.  Wrapping the robe around her, Amina headed towards the sink area to wash and ring out her clothes.  She set them out to dry, laying the delicates on the backs of the plastic bar stools sitting near the dining table. Spotting his wet boxers lying haphazardly on the tile floor, she bent down and picked them up as well, settling them on the other chair.  She looked up to see Youngbae's amused gaze on her.

"Mwuh?"

He shook his head to dismiss her comment.  "Here."

Youngbae held out a set of black terry sweats and a fitted black-logo T-shirt.  Amina glanced down at his hands.  "Ani," she shook her head.  "I can't wear your clothes."

"Aish... Just take it until we can get your room unlocked."  He pressed the garments into her hands once more.  "Unless you want me to see if Ji-Na noona has something for you to wear."

Amina contemplated the thought for a second. More than likely, Ji-Na would have something.  But it would probably end up being something too skimpy for her tastes. She hastily grabbed the clothes from Youngbae.

He looked at her knowingly and smiled.

Amina watched as he made his way back towards the bathroom, unplugging the drain in the tub.  She called after him.  "Do you have a blow dryer?"

He distractedly pointed towards the vanity and went back to his business.  Amina heard him turn on the water once more.  She turned away to give him privacy, drying her body thoroughly with the bathrobe before pulling on his sweats.  The pants were way too loose and big on her.  Luckily, there was a band at the bottom that kept the hem from hitting the floor.  But the waist was another matter.  She double rolled the top and pulled the drawstring as tight as she could.  Once that was completed, she pulled on his T-shirt, the cotton softness feeling like silk against her bare skin. It fell down past her hips and landed halfway down her thighs.  She was fully dressed, but with no undergarments on, she still felt a little .  Amina heard him come out of the bathroom and turned around.

He had washed his hair, the crinkly waves bunching up cutely around his head.  She hadn't seen him with his hair un-styled since the first day she met him back at the dorm.  She felt a smile tug at her lips.

"Did you find the blow dryer?" Youngbae asked, puzzled by the happy expression on her face.  He tugged on the end of the white towel hanging around his neck while the other hand was busy drying his hair.

"Umm..." Amina quickly broke eye contact and searched the vanity drawer.  "Neh," she said, pulling out the blow dryer.  She turned around to show him and bumped into his bare chest.  She looked up into his face and found him frowning down at her.

Youngbae tugged at the hem of her shirt, examining how ill-fitted the garment was on her. He started to lift the hem up to see how the sweats were fitting when her outburst stopped him.

"Yah!" she exclaimed, swatting his hands away.

"They're too big on you," he murmured, his lips twisting wryly.

"They're fine," she replied, her face turning red. She turned away from him and went to blow dry her hair, trying not to stare at him through the mirror as he moved about the room.  Amina watched as he pulled on his T-shirt, his muscles bunching in the back.  He walked over to the big floor to ceiling windows and paused. Turning around, he headed towards her. "They're back."

Amina turned off the blow dryer, her ends of her hair still wet.  She heard the faint slamming of car doors. "I better tell unnie before she freaks out." She started to place the dryer back in its place.

"You can't go down like that," he tsked.  He grabbed a black stocking cap and a pair of clean sweat socks.  He plopped the cap on her semi-wet head and bent down to pull the socks on. 

"Ani!" Amina cried, pulling her feet back.

"You can't go down there barefooted.  You'll get sick," Youngbae chastised, his voice broking no argument.

"I'm not helpless.  I'll do it myself."  She yanked the socks from his hands.

Youngbae stood up and huffed, shaking his head.  He grabbed his favorite black snapback hat and pulled it on, waiting for her to finish.  He couldn't help the grin that crossed his face.  She looked like a little gangster, her hair covered with the stocking cap, her baggy T-shirt and sweats hanging loosely across her small frame.  "Ready?"


They headed downstairs towards the sounds coming from the kitchenette area.  Hanna spotted the pair heading her way, raising her eyebrow slightly at their matching black sweats, T-shirt, and still damp hair.

Amina saw the curious, impish, expression on Hanna's face.  She wanted to set things straight before her unnie's imagination ran wild.

"What happened?" Hanna smiled, her lips curling up slightly.  She looked over at Youngbae and saw his face redden slightly.

"Umm... I fell into the river."

Jiyong turned around from the refrigerator, his eyes widening slightly as he noticed the matching pair. He grinned at Youngbae.  "Let me guess.  You fell in the river too?"

Youngbae cleared his throat, his voice thick with emotion.  "Well someone had to rescue her."

Amina looked up at him, her face remorseful.  She suddenly realized she had yet to thank him. 

"Wait, are you serious?" asked Jiyong, his voice turning into concern.

"What!" exclaimed Hanna, coming around the counter.  She quickly grabbed Amina by the shoulders and peered into her face.  "Omo, what happened? Are you alright?" She started patting Amina's face down, checking for visible signs of injury.

"Unnie, I'm fine," replied Amina, her hands covering Hanna's. "I'm just still a little cold, that's all."

"Omo, omo, omo..." cried Hanna, pulling Amina towards her embrace.  "Omo, if something happened to you, your parents would never forgive me!  God, how can this happen?"  Like a mother hen, Hanna led Amina towards the nearest couch, demanding Amina to retell the events and state what current pains she was feeling.

Jiyong watched Youngbae for several seconds, noticing the heightened color and worry on his face.  "You okay?"

Youngbae nodded his head, his eyes watching Amina with Hanna.  He turned towards Jiyong.  "We need the key to Amina's room.  She accidentally locked herself out this morning."

Jiyong nodded.  "Neh, I'll see if I can find the master key." He started out towards the foyer, when Youngbae called to him again.

"Can you also get me a first aid kit while you're at it?"

Jiyong nodded his head and left.

Hanna came back into the kitchenette, with a pleading Amina trailing behind.  "I'm fine unnie, I promise!"

Hanna shook her head.  She pulled a kettle off the stove and began filling it with water. 

"I'll go see Dr. Park tomorrow," Amina promised for the second time that day.

"Fine," Hanna snapped, putting the kettle back on the stove.  She turned the gas ignition on.  "But for the rest of tonight, you need to lie down and warm up.  I won't have you getting sick on my watch." Her hands visibly shook as she gathered the teacup and saucer from an overhead cabinet.  It chinked loudly against one another as Hanna placed them on the counter nearby.

"Unnie..." Amina begged.  She hated seeing her cousin so upset.

"Do as I say Mimi."

Amina felt like she was seven again, being chastised for causing her unnie to worry.  "Neh, unnie..." She glanced over at Youngbae, who had the same worried expression on his face. "Not you too..." she said to him.

"She's right.  You should go lay down. I'll go get you a blanket." he stated, starting to climb off the bar stool.

"Mianhae," Jiyong said, coming back into the room.  He carried a first aid kit in his hands and looked apologetically at Youngbae.  "The master key is locked up in the safe, but I don't know the combination.  I've left a message with my parents to call me back.  But here's the first aid kit you wanted."

Amina watched as Youngbae took the kit from Jiyong's hands.  She could tell he was trying to keep it away from her, hiding it slightly behind him.  She reached out and pulled his other arm, holding on until he looked at her.  Amina searched his face and quietly demanded.  "Tell me." She knew she didn't need any bandaging, so it had to be him.

Youngbae pressed his lips together, not wanting her to know.  But he could tell she wasn't going to let go unless he told her.  "I just have a small cut on my foot, that's all."

Amina glanced down at his feet, noticing for the first time that a part of his arch was bleeding through his sock.  She shook her head angrily.  "And you're now just telling me?" She started to pull away when his arm stopped her. 

"What are you doing?" he asked.

"I'm going to get some warm water to clean it out for you."

"Ani," he shook his head.  "You're going to go lay down."

"Ani, not until you let me take a look at your cut first."

Jiyong could see that the pair would be getting nowhere fast.  "Youngbae, why don't you let her take a look at your foot?  Amina, what do you need?  I'll get it for you."

Amina glanced over at Jiyong, suddenly remembering that he was standing there witnessing their little fight.  She nodded her thanks, telling him what she needed.  "I'll be in the media room," she said to Youngbae.

Youngbae shook his head in disagreement but it didn't matter as he watched her walk away.


Amina looked up from her cup of tea, while seated next to the fireplace, when Youngbae walked into the media entertainment room.  He laid a white cashmere throw on the oversized couch and headed towards her, his face still not yielding.

"I can do this myself," he said, sitting down next to her.  A bowl of hot water and white rags sat next her, along with the first aid kit.

Amina scooted back a little and pulled his right foot into her lap.  "Consider it my small token of thanks," she said absentmindedly, peeling his blood-stained sock off, "for saving my life...."  Her voice faded away as she in a little breath of surprise.  It wasn't a small gash.  The cut ran along the entire side of his arch.  She looked up accusingly at him.  "This isn't a small cut."

She let out a small air of frustration and felt herself become upset while she dipped the clean rags into the hot water.  Amina's hands shook as she rung out the water and applied the hot rag to his foot, cleaning around the wound gently.  Hot tears rolled down her cheeks the more she worked.  She could see how bad the cut was.  She grabbed the first aid kit, in search for medical tweezers.

Youngbae reached out and wiped a tear from her face.  "Baby, why are you crying?" he asked, feeling alarmed.

She sniffed and brushed his hand away.  "You weren't even going to tell me you got cut," she accused angrily, pulling the tweezers out of the packet.  Grabbing his foot firmly in her hands, she worked the tool into his instep, ignoring his small outburst and wince. Amina pulled a few small rocks out of the gash, dropping them on a dry towel nearby.

She dipped cotton in rubbing alcohol and applied it along the cut. 

He let out a curse, flinching as the liquid burned his open wound.  Clenching his teeth, he exclaimed.  "I'm sorry for not telling you, but could you be more gentle with me please?"

"Oh, it hurts?" she asked sarcastically, her eyes still hurt.  "Good," she added miserably, opening a gauze packet.  Her fingers shook as she peeled open an ointment packet to apply before the gauze wrap.

Youngbae leaned down towards her bent head, his mouth brushing hotly against her right temple.  "I was wrong.  I should have told you.  Mianhae." He pressed a gentle kiss on her temple and waited for her to look at him.

Amina glanced up at the sound of someone approaching.  It was Ji-Na.

"There you guys are.  I was wondering..." she trailed off, her hand going to .  "Ah! Oppa! What happened to my oppa?" Ji-Na came closer to them, but kept a cautious distance.  Her eyes reflected her sincere worry.

"It's nothing," Youngbae reassured her.  "I just cut my foot."

"Maybe you should go to the hospital," Ji-Na worried, "to get it professionally checked out."

Amina's hands hesitated briefly as Ji-Na's words sunk it.  She grabbed the cotton wrap from the first aid kit.

Youngbae noticed her pause and turned towards Ji-Na.  "I'll be fine."

"But just in case you know.  It might be more serious."

"It's fine," Youngbae stressed again, watching another tear roll down Amina's face as she worked.  He could see how much Ji-Na's words were upsetting her. "We'll see you in the dining area after we're finished."

"Okay oppa," Ji-Na whined.  She glanced over at Amina.  "Mimi, the galbijim takes long to cook so you have to get started on it now in order for it to tenderize properly."

"Can't you cook it yourself!" Youngbae lashed out at Ji-Na, his voice hard.  "She's busy taking care of me right now, if you can't see."

Amina jerked her head up at the anger in his voice.  "Bae-yah."

He flinched at her reprimand, but turned his face away from both of them, refusing to apologize for his behavior.

Amina turned to see Ji-Na's shocked and hurt expression.  "Unnie, I'll..." Before she could finish her sentence, Ji-Na walked out of the room. She turned back towards Youngbae, his head still bent in defiance.  "That's another person you need to apologize to today." She started wrapping his foot tightly.

"Do I get a kiss for it?" he snapped.

Amina looked up at him, her eyes expressing her annoyance.  "Not funny."

Youngbae looked away, ashamed at his behavior.

Amina started cleaning up, gathering all the wrappers and used cotton together.  She closed the first aid kit and started to stand.

"Where do you think you're going?" asked Youngbae, standing up with her. He pulled off his other sock and flexed his bandaged foot.  He could barely feel any pain.

"I'm going to the kitchen to help cook dinner."

"Ani, we had a deal." He stared down into her eyes, pulling the first kit out of her hands. "Go lie down."

She didn't move.

When reasoning didn't work, he threatened her instead. "Do you want me to carry you there instead?  Because if I do, I probably won't leave..." He felt strangely light hearted when she let out a huff of defeat and stomped away towards the couch. Youngbae watched as she pulled the blankets around her and settled down into the plush cushions. "I'll be back when dinner's ready." He took the supplies and left the room.

Amina sighed quietly to herself, listening to the crackling sounds coming from the fireplace.  She could hear the others busy in the kitchen making dinner.  She felt her eyes grow heavy, the excitement and stress of the day finally catching up to her. Within minutes, she fell fast asleep.