An Odd Job

The Heart Still Beats (For You)

“Ah~” I sighed and yawned at the same time as I stepped into the cool night air of Seoul.

“Tired?” My best friend, Sangmi, smiled and fell in step with me.

“Yeah, I’m dead,” I said, in total agreement. “But seriously, 2PM was great tonight!”

“I know right?” Sangmi punched the air enthusiastically.

“I wish Junsu was there though,” I gave a sad smile.

“Aw,” Sangmi tried to comfort me. “I know, I’m sorry. I know that he’s your favorite member.”

“Yeah,” I nodded. “But he needs to get better, poor dear, his leg is badly hurt.”

“Yah, Eun-Gyo!” Sangmi poked my side, making me squirm. “You act like Junsu’s already your boyfriend, which he isn’t may I remind you!”

“Shut up!” My face reddened at the thought. “I’m sure all super fans act like this! I just want to make sure he’s okay!”

“Yeah, yeah. Go on ahead and defend yourself!” Sangmi teased.

“Like you’re any different!” I retorted back, ready for defense. “You’re hung up on Wooyoung!”

“I know!” Sangmi, surprisingly admitted, and squeezed her eyes shut. “He’s just so squishy and cute! I wanna pinch his cheeks!”

“Aish,” I huffed in frustration. I had lost this argument. I knew it.


Sangmi and I headed towards the train station, which was a long ways away. Guess it’s the price hardcore fans have to pay for their beloved idols. Long walks to destinations, hours of waiting at fan meetings, and pricey tickets to shows. But it’s all worth it in the end, as long as we see our idols smiling and having fun. Precious moments are created.

“Excuse me!”

I turned around the find a man with owl glasses staring intensely at Sangmi and I.

“Uhm, I’m sorry. Can we help you?” Sangmi questioned.

I just stared back at the man with the same intensity and didn’t say anything.

“Yes, just one second, erm,” The man shuffled around, struggling to take out some papers and his Blackberry.

Handing us each a paper, he quickly turned around to face the other direction and began to make a call.

“Line is busy?!” We heard him exclaim in frustration.

Sangmi and I looked at each other, and then looked down at the papers in our hands.

“What the heck?” Sangmi’s eyebrows shot up.

“Uhm,” I was speechless.

On behalf of the JYP Entertainment Company we request your presence…

Under the bold heading was the message ‘to assist injured idols’ scrawled underneath it in messy handwriting.

“Ah! I found some girls, perhaps they can help for the job?” I looked back at the small man, now who held the phone right up to his ear with his right hand, and plugged his other ear with the left hand.

“Ah, ahh, yes. Okay. Bye,” The man hung up, squinted at the phone, and then turned back to us.

“Excuse me,” Sangmi’s eyes narrowed. “What kind of a job is this? Helping injured idols? Seriously? I’ve never heard about this sort of thing before. It’s totally stupid, I mean, who actually DOES this?”

I just stood, processing the information while Sangmi rattled off all these questions, some of them making sense to me, others not.

True, I didn’t know why this job existed. Why couldn’t these people get around by themselves? Well, unless they’re in a wheelchair, but still.

The man blinked and tried to calm Sangmi down.

“It’s just a temporary job. We’re just looking for people who can help those who are injured get around and nurse them.”

“Well I’m sorry,” Sangmi pursed her lips. “We’re not interested.” She handed the man back the paper. “Come, Eun-Gyo.”

“B-b-b-but!” The man stuttered.

“No ‘buts’!” Sangmi had already begun to march away. “You’ll have to find someone else.”

I began to follow, but something inside of my body stopped me. I don’t know what forced the words out, but it was something inside of me telling me to do it.

“I’m in,” I quietly nodded.

“WHAT?!” Sangmi said in disbelief.

“Thank you,” The man was already shaking my hand, pumping it up and down.

“Wait, wait, wait!” Sangmi drew me aside. “What do you think you’re doing? This could be a scam! What if he tries to drag you off or something? Even if it isn’t a scam, why? What kind of job is this anyways?”

“I-I-I don’t know,” I stuttered. I really didn’t know why.

“Whatever.” Sangmi waved me off. “I’m not the boss of you.”


“I’m pleased you have decided to accept this job!” The little man was practically dancing as he led me toward the JYP Entertainment building.
“Just tell me one thing,” I said, I had already started to become hesitant. “Why was I chosen? It seems almost random.”

“Oh that’s easy,” The man glided along the street. “I picked you because you looked like the sweet, trusting, and get-it-done kind if girl.”

‘What’s that got to do with anything? You’re saying I was picked through looks? God this man is weird. Does he rely on looks?’ I thought, but just gave a meek smile.

As we approached the JYP Entertainment building my eyes widened. Gosh it was huge!

The man pushed the door open, and held it for me, but I could see he was struggling so I quickly slipped through.

As I wondered in fascination at the huge entryway, I almost missed seeing the man climb into an elevator and wave to me.

I watched as the man rose on his tiptoes trying to reach a button, and finally managed to press it. As the door closed, the man took off his glasses and began to shine them.

“Smooth your hair back a little,” He eyed me.

I did as I was told, patting my pin straightened hair into invisible placement.

“Do you have any makeup?” The man was staring at me again.

“Yes, a little,” I said rummaging around in my bag.

“Do some touching up,” He commanded.

“Yes,” I had already begun to put on my foundation.

It had been two minutes already and finally the man and I stood in silence.

“This is a long ride, where are we going?”

“To JYP’s office. It’s at the very top of the building.” The man bluntly replied.

‘Oh my gosh! Seriously? JYP himself?’ I screamed internally.


The door dinged open, and we made way to two humongous doors.

“Stay,” The man pointed at the ground and then disappeared behind the door.

About a minute later I heard the door creak open and the man poked his head out.

“He’ll see you now.”

I took a deep breath and proceeded inside.

There in the center of the room was a desk with a chair, and in the chair, sat JYP himself.

“I’ve heard a little about you Eun-Gyo,” JYP motioned for me to come forward. “You’re right, No-Ah. She looks perfect for this job.”
‘Great, again with the looks.’ I grumbled.

“Right then,” JYP sat up straighter. “When can you start working?”

“As soon as you wish,” I said, startled by the ‘to the point’ statement.

“Good,” JYP nodded in approval. “Get her started now.”

“Now?” I said baffled. I didn’t even have my stuff with me!

“I know what you’re thinking.” JYP stared. “Give us your address, and your stuff should arrive by tomorrow.”

“Uhm, okay,” I said and scribbled my apartment number on a sticky note, passing it to No-Ah.

“Perfect,” JYP nodded again. “You may go.”

No-Ah and I re-boarded the elevator and I watched, as again, he pushed a button. I felt the elevator descend beneath me.

“Where are we going now?”

“To start you on your work.”

“What’s that?” I was confused.

“You’ll be taking care of 2PM’s Junsu for the time being.”

Wait, WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?! Say that again?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?