~Prologue~

The Heart Still Beats (For You)

“Argh,” I winced as the shocking twinge of pain surged up my leg.

“Are you okay?”

I looked up through sad, yet angry and hurt eyes up at a tall figure that wore an unusual worried expression.

“Yeah,” I gritted my teeth as I felt another jolt of pain. “I’m so disappointed I can’t perform with you guys tonight.”

“You need rest,” A voice said behind the giant, and a man, way shorter than the first popped his head in the door. “You can’t perform tonight!”

“This totally ,” I wined as I tried to stand, but collapsed back into the chair because of the immense pain. “Why do I have to stay home?!?!”

“Junsu!” The short man said my name in a sharp tone. “You need to get better for us, and the fans, ASAP. We can’t risk you becoming worse. Do you know how worried the fans are these days?”

“Yeah, yeah.” I nodded, but internally rolled my eyes.

‘I don’t see what’s so wrong with just watching the performance backstage. But no, I gotta stay home and watch on the television, all-alone. By myself.’

“jaebum’s right,” The long figure spoke again in a husky voice. “If you don’t get better soon, it won’t be good.”

“Stop making him feel worse about it, Taecyeon,” A young man with blonde hair stopped by the doorway, and then strode to the main entrance. “We need to go soon. Hurry up.”

“I swear,” jaebum shook his head. “Sometimes Nichkhun acts more like a leader than I do.”

“Well,” Taecyeon began, “You do sometimes forget to remind people of the day’s events and want times we need to be were and such. Nichkhun just has this great memory and is a backup in case you forget.”

“I didn’t forget!” jaebum protested, “I was just about to tell you!”

“Guys!” I barked. My head hurt because of their heated conversation. “Can you just leave? I’d rather stay home than listen to you two gripe about something insignificant in the car.”

“Yeah, yeah. We’re leaving,” jaebum pulled Taecyeon away from the frame. “Get better!”

‘I’d better,’ I grumbled to myself as the two disappeared. I could still hear their argument as they pulled on their shoes before opening and closing the door.

“Honestly,” I held my head, “my head hurts.”

I winced in pain as I tried attempting to stand again. I managed somehow and hobbled over to the living room, where the television was set up. I needed to see this performance.

‘Will anyone even miss me?’ I thought worriedly.

Sighing outward I sank into the plush couch and closed my eyes.

‘There’s still time before the performance begins. My head hurts. I need to sleep. Just for a little while. To rest my eyes, just to-’

Before I knew it though, I was sound asleep. I drifted of into a dream about how the concert would be if I were there also. On that stage with all those lights, and dancing with my 2PM members…


I woke up with a start.

‘What time is it?” I freaked out.

How long had I been asleep? What if I missed the performance? It wouldn’t have been such a big deal because I could always see it online later, but really? I wanted to see it NOW!

I looked at the clock.

It read 6:00 PM.

I sighed in relief. I hadn’t missed the performance at all. In fact, the whole concert hadn’t started yet, and wouldn’t until at least another hour or so.

I the television anyways. I was in no mood to do anything. I worried that if I slept again, I’d miss the show. I didn’t want to get up because it would make my leg burn and I’d have to go through pain all over again.

Flipping through the channels I finally settled on Mnet and watched reruns of ‘Hot Blood.’

I watched as us, 2PM, and members of 2AM struggled to meet the instructor’s harsh requirements. I shivered at the remembrance of running in the cold half-.

‘Glad I don’t have to go through that again.’


An hour later I switched the channel.

I watched the beginning performances of Music Bank, and my spirits were lifted a little.

I loved hearing the fans scream the celebrities’ names, supporting their favored groups and bands.

I drummed my fingers and smiled as MBLAQ performed their comeback stage of ‘Y.’

‘An addicting song I must say. These boys are good!’

After ‘Y’ came to an end, the stage went pitch black and I sat up a little straighter. 2PM was next.

The lights returned and there stood my members in their starting positions. The music began for ‘Without U’ and my heart began to ache.

I wanted to be with them so much!

Nevertheless, I bobbed my head to the beat, keeping time, and sang my chorus part aloud to the empty room.

At the end of the performance, I clapped my hands, though no one would hear.

‘A great performance! I just wish I could have been there.’

The camera scanned the crowd, and I feasted my eyes on the fans waving glow sticks, making hearts with their arms, and shouting the names of the members of 2PM.

I smiled.

‘Our fans are so supportive!’

Then my smile faded.

That’s when I saw her.

She, like the others, waved a glow stick, however, there was something different about her. Was it her gentle smile? Her lovely features? The way her delicate hands, waved the glow stick?

I wasn’t exactly sure at that moment, however, I did know something.

I was going to find out whom she was.

I had found the girl of my dreams.