The New Girl

The Heart Still Beats (For You)

My heart pounded as I sat in the large room of JYP Entertainment CEO’s office.

“Hmmm,” JYP mumbled as he looked over my resume and me.

Again, dead silence engulfed the spacious room.

I looked around and admired the clear, glass window walls, and all the music awards and trophies from his successful groups.

“Hmmm,” JYP pondered again out-loud. He then stopped studying my resume, put it down, and looked me in the eye. “So,” He began, “I heard one of my talent scout people found you.”

“Yes, I think he was on a vacation, but he did find me,” I stuttered in my slightly broken Korean.

“Melody, a beautiful name already…” JYP looked over me once more, and then nodded. “In fact, it’s such a lovely name, that we won’t even bother changing it or creating a new stage name.”

“Wait, does this mean I’m accepted? Don’t I need to sing or audition in front of you?” I knew I shouldn’t have butted in, he is the CEO after all, but I wasn’t sure entering an entertainment agency was that easy.

“My talent scout person gave me this,” JYP held up a CD. “Apparently you already did audition. My scout person recorded you singing and sent it to me. You’ve definitely got talent, and in fact, looks like you’ve got the whole package to be a great singer, my dear.”

“Excuse me?”

“Well, there’s no doubt that you’re a good singer as I mentioned, you’re quite pretty and cute, and you’ve got a great personality. Any other questions?”

“N-n-no sir…Thank you so much!”

“Yes, yes,” JYP smiled. “I’m not sure about whether you’ll be a solo singer, or in a group yet, but time will tell. We don’t need to worry about that so soon.”

I nodded to show I was following him; he was being extremely nice, talking slow so I could catch most of the conversation. Thankfully, I did.


I sighed as I set down my things in my new dorm room. For now, I would be living alone, unless JYP decided I would be in a group, in which then, I would move into the group dorm.

I took out my schedule and looked at what time my training classes started.

‘Vocal lesson, 2:30 PM…Dance lesson, 6:30 PM…that’s all for today,’ I looked at my cell phone’s digital clock, which read, 1:10 PM. ‘Perfect, I’ve got time to unpack, and then poke around the JYP Entertainment building to get familiar with the place.’


I pushed open the tall, regal looking doors of the JYP Entertainment building for the second time, but this time, I was a trainee of the company.

Looking around, I took my time to observe my surrounds, as I was in a hurry the first time to get to my meeting with JYP.

It was bustling, idols were everywhere, having their relaxing time on couches and getting some coffee to drink, or getting ready for their next schedule, their makeup and clothing coordinators at their heels, ready to fix any crease or makeup smudge on the idol’s perfect face.

I was just about to step from my place where I was frozen, when something slammed into me, knocking me off balance.

“Ouch…” I whimpered. “Oh no, not a second time!”

“Oh! I’m so sorry, let me help you up!” A man’s voice, surprised, came from above and offered his hand.

“Thank you so much, no it’s my fault…” I looked up, “Oh, it’s you…”

“Ah, yes…Oh! It’s you again,” The same man I had met earlier that morning was standing above me again.

“We keep meeting like this,” I laughed, trying to shake the embarrassment off.

“Yes, I suppose,” He laughed, a glint in his eye.

“You’re…an idol?” I gasped.

“That I am,” He laughed again, “I’m sorry, forgive me if this sounds odd and rude, but I didn’t realize that there would be someone who didn’t recognize me.”
I squinted, trying to find a familiar trait on the man’s flawless face.

“I’m…sorry,” I hesitantly replied. “I’m afraid…”

“…You don’t know me,” He finished for me, saving me a second time from being embarrassed. “No worries. I’m sorry that I didn’t introduce myself the first time we ran into each other. I’m Nichkhun from the group 2PM.”

My eyes widened and I’m pretty sure that I turned the brightest shade of red one could possible shed.

Of course, he was Nichkhun of 2PM! Why didn't I realize it?

“I’m so…so sorry!” I blurted and immediately stooped into a full, ninety-degree bow. “Nice to meet you, well, I mean, nice to meet you again. Wait, no…”

“Pffft,” I heard Nichkhun let out a small laugh. “No need to be sorry.”

“O-okay…” I stood up straight, but could not raise my eyes.

“So, it looks like you’ve been taken in as a trainee?”

“Yes, I was just accepted today!”

“That’s wonderful, congratulations!”

“Thank you, but I’m a little nervous. I’m not familiar with the Korean language, nor do I feel like I’m really talented. I don't know what to expect.” I found myself worrying and I’m sure it came out in my expression.

“I felt the exact same way,” Nichkhun smiled. “When I was first discovered and came to Korea as a JYP trainee, I didn’t know the language well either. I also needed tons of practice for vocal and dance.”

“Impossible, that doesn’t seem true from how well you can sing, speak Korean, and dance today!”

“Like I said, practice. You’ll get there so don’t worry. If you need any help, you can come to me.”

I blushed again. “Thank you, that’s very kind of you…”

“No problem, hey, I’ve got to go now, but it was nice seeing you again. Hopefully we’ll bump into each other soon, let’s be sure we aren’t crashing into each other though!”

“Of course, see you!” I waved, as Nichkhun said his goodbye and jogged off.

I looked at my cell phone’s clock again to read the time. It read, 2:15 PM.

‘Perfect. I’ve got 15 minutes to run around the building and find the room for my vocal lesson!’

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I jogged away from her, trying to leave with a cool aura.

‘Strange,’ I wondered to myself. ‘I’ve never made friends with someone so easily and quickly before…’

“YAH!” I heard Jaebum sharply address me as I caught up with the rest of the group. “What took you so long? We’re thirty minutes behind on all our schedules today, way to make it thirty-five minutes now.”

“I apologize,” I flashed the cutest expression I could and gave a ninety-degree bow to the 2PM members.

“You can’t be mad at him, Jaebum. Admit it,” Junho laughed at Jaebum’s attempt at a ‘you think that’s going to work? I want a better apology’ expression.

Jaebum’s mouth twitched, and then he finally relaxed.

“So true. You’re too cute, Nichkhun…”

‘It worked! Ha!’ I triumphantly gloated internally.

“So why were you late anyways?” I noticed that Taecyeon had sidled up to me and was inquiring.

“Why do you want to know?” I hesitantly responded.

“You’re never late. In fact, you’re the most punctual out of all of us. Why the sudden delay today?”

“No…special reason,” I began to stutter.

“Oh, what’s this?” Taecyeon grinned and leaned in. “Did something good happen today. Did Eun-Gyo come home already?”

“Uh, no. Eun-Gyo didn’t come home. I actually ran into someone…well, I ran into someone twice, once this morning, and just now. It happened that I ran into the same person. We kind of got talking and I guess I made a new friend?”

“Woah, shocker!” Taecyeon’s grin became wider, revealing a super cheesy smile.

“Please stop that, you look ridiculous!” I slapped my hand over Taecyeon’s greasy smirk.

“Ouch, fine, fine. No reason to hit me!” Taecyeon made a frowny face and rubbed his nose.

“It surprised me too, I don’t make friends right off the bat with many people.”

“Wait, is this person a girl or a boy? That makes a bit of a difference…”

“Girl…”

“GUYS, LISTEN TO TH-” Taecyeon began to yell, but I punched him in the side to shut him up.

“You tell anyone, and I’ll KILL you!” I threatened.

“Fine, geez,” Taecyeon held up his hands in surrender. “Just don’t hurt me anymore! There’s only so much physical torture I can handle before I’ll end up hitting you back!”

“Deal,” I shrugged and began to walk faster.

“So, tell me more?” Taecyeon’s stupid grin began to form on his face again, but I didn’t bother to hide it this time.

“Maybe, I’m not sure.”

“Name?”

“Melody.”

“Woah, that’s not a Korean name!”

“Yeah well, her ethnicity is Korean, but she’s from the USA. Oregon to be precise.”

“Ooh, foreign chick!”

“Shut up, you’re not exactly a full, native Korean yourself. You grew up in USA Boston…”

“Whatever, age?”

“Uhm, I didn't really get it, but she’s pretty young. Looks like she’s still in her teens, maybe nineteen…”

“Young and innocent. Just like you, Khunnie dear!”

“Try saying that again to me, and you’ll REALLY get hurt.”

“Wow, for someone who acts cute in front of Leader, you’re pretty deathly.”

“Whatever, are you done asking personal questions?” I huffed.

“Yeah, I’m done. I’ll get more out of you some other day,” Taecyeon smirked. “You seem to have taken a liking to her.”

“I haven’t! I’ve only thought about Eun-Gyo this whole day!” I retorted back.

“Yeah, well, love’s not easy. You never know,” Taecyeon gave me a pat on the head and then sprinted as far as his super long legs to take him. (I was about to lose my patience with him…)

As soon as Taecyeon disappeared before me, I thought about his last comment.

‘…Love’s not easy. You never know…’

I didn’t know much about Melody yet, how could I even tell if I liked her or not?

I shook my head ferociously and ran to catch up with the members, I had more time to think later, right now I had to be focused on 2PM and the others.