The Return

The Heart Still Beats (For You)

I shyly took a peek into the 2PM dorm before fully letting myself in, sighing in relief.

It was empty. Figures, they probably had a schedule in the afternoon anyways.

That was my goal; to come home quietly without making a ruckus.

‘It’s good to be back!’ I stretched and breathed in fresh air. I had a good time at Sangmi’s. We had a long talk, and she gave me some good advice about the whole Junsu-Nichkhun drama.


“Sangmi, I just don’t know what to do!”

“I wouldn’t do much of anything, to tell the truth. It’s just their way of sorting things out, Eun-Gyo. They’re guys! We’re girls…we don’t think the same way. Let them figure it out on their own terms, as long as it doesn’t resort to violence or fighting. However, let me say this, you can’t just depend on the guys sorting this out. You have some serious thinking to do as well.”

“That’s another problem. I just can’t seem to choose between them! They’re both great guys…and I hate the thought of breaking the other's heart.”

“Eun-Gyo, Eun-Gyo…I think you’re over-analyzing this whole situation. It’s stressing you out way too much. Think on some simpler terms. How about, ‘how happy does this guy make me?’ or, ‘can I see a future with this guy?’”

“And if I told you that both seem like good possibilities?”

“Again, it’s simple. Eun-Gyo, it might sound corny, but this is a time when you need to listen to your heart. Don’t think about breaking the other’s heart at this point. You want to end up with someone who will make you as happy as you can possibly be. That’s what matters. Regarding of when you break the other’s heart, they’ll find someone else, I’m sure of it. It also means, it just wasn’t meant to be in the first place.”

“…Thanks Sangmi. You’ve really changed my perspective on this whole mess.”

“You’re welcome. You should probably return home tomorrow. But you’re always welcome to come back if needed!”

“Thank you again, Sangmi.”



Sangmi really helped me. That night, I thought long and hard about what I wanted. I could hardly sleep!

I had my decision though, and I hoped that it would end the tension, and make everyone happy.

I took another look around the dorm.

‘Wow, it really does look like they need me though.’

The 2PM boys had let the whole apartment trashed and dirty.

‘Well, let’s get started cleaning up, make dinner, and wait for the boys to return home and cause chaos…’


“…And then, he made the strangest face! It was hilarious!” I heard Jaebum’s voice echo in the hallway.

I panicked. The boys hadn’t seen me for a couple of days, wouldn’t it be shocking if I just popped up now? I had started to think that the “coming-home-quietly-when-no-one-is-home” plan wasn’t the best idea.

“What the heck? How could you think that it was funny? The poor man was scared to death because of you!” I heard Junho’s voice in the entryway.

“Well, sorry for trying to be- Eun-Gyo?!?!?”

I gave a smile and waved to the 2PM members.

“Eun-Gyo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” Wooyoung pushed through the small crowd and made a jump to hug me.

“Whoa there, hello to you too, Wooyoung,” I laughed.

“Good to have you home again,” Taecyeon came by and gave me a pat on the head.

“Really, Taecyeon. You treat me like I’m your cute little sister…I guess I should call you ‘oppa’ now!”

“Well, you are like a cute little sister to me! Go ahead, call me ‘oppa’ from now on!” Taecyeon chuckled and gave a greasy grin.

“Stop it, Taecyeon. Honestly, why do you have to make everything so gross and greasy?” Jaebum punched Taecyeon’s arm. “Hey Eun-Gyo!”

“Hey,” I smiled.

“Says the person who likes to his fingers and smooth his eyebrows, and ouch; that hurt!” Taecyeon shot back.

“Oh dear, now they’ll be bickering back and forth until bedtime,” Junho shook his head. “Nice to have you back, we were a little lonely without you here.”

“It’s good to be back, really, I’m telling the truth. I know I left on some bad terms, but it’s all better,” I replied.

“I can see. You look a little healthier; the color returned to your cheeks.” Junho gave me a warm eye-smile.

“Eun-Gyo Noona!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” Chansung greeted me with the same enthusiasm as Wooyoung did.

“Chansungie!!! My little brother,” I grinned and gave him a hug.

“What’s for dinner? I’m starved. I’m also tired of eating ramen for practically every meal of the day.”

“I made curry tonight. It’s something that everyone seems to like, and easy to make in large quantities!” I smiled and winked.

“Curry? Yummmmmmmmmmmy!” Chansung began sniffing around the kitchen. “Eun-Gyo Noona, am I allowed to taste test it?”

“Uh, yes, but let me dish it out for you. If you do it yourself, you’ll end up eating everything!” I made a hand-stop-sign and went to serve a bit of curry to the hungry giant.

“It’s much more lively, now that you’re back,” I was startled to hear Junsu behind me. We hadn’t talked for a while, and it hadn’t been on good terms.

“Y-y-yeah,” I stammered. He still knew how to make my heart flutter.

“Look, we really need to talk again, we have some stuff to work out.”

“I agree, after dinner?” I didn’t dare meet his eyes.

“Sounds good, see you then. Oh, and by the way, the curry smells delicious.”

I blushed. Come to think of it, he hadn’t really praised my cooking for a long time as well.

“I’m having a taste,” I turned around to find Nichkhun picking up the spoon and dipping it in the curry sauce.

“W-w-well, I don’t think it’s perfect yet. I’m getting Chansung’s approval first before serving everyone.”

“No, it’s good. Really it is,” Nichkhun gave me a sweet smile.

My eyes widened a little. The atmosphere between us wasn’t at all like it used to be in the past. I didn’t feel any sort of strong romantic feelings, nor was there large tension between us. All I felt was two people, two friendly people, and two close friends for life.

Something was different, change. We had both changed I suppose, surprisingly in only two days though.

Could Nichkhun feel this atmosphere between us too?

“So hey,” Nichkhun began.

“Yes?” I jumped a little as I was deep in thought before.

“I guess we’ve both felt this change between us, huh?”

“Yeah, but it’s nice,” I gave a warm smile. “No tension, nothing.”

“Exactly. Look, I’d like to apologize for what happened before you left a couple days ago. Junsu and I were being immature.” Nichkhun leaned against the refrigerator door.

“It’s all forgotten. I can sort of understand what you two must have been feeling at the time. There wasn’t much you could do I guess, and you two had to figure something out, somehow. Anyways, when I was at Sangmi’s she gave me some advice. I had a long time to sort out my feelings.”

“And the way we feel about each other now can explain the conclusion about those thoughts, huh?” Nichkhun finished for me.

“Yes, you’re absolutely right. And what about you? Something seems different from you too.”

“Actually, I met an interesting girl the day you left. I was chasing you and ended up crashing into her. Her name’s Melody and it turns out she was just accepted into the JYP Entertainment at the time. She’s apparently to JYP extremely talented because he’s only keeping her as a trainee for another month or so and then they’ll be planning for her debut.”

I saw the light in his eyes when he talked about this new girl, and it put my heart at ease. I was so worried what would happen if I told Nichkhun that it wasn’t him I had in the end chosen.

“Nichkhun, you really like her don’t you?” I smiled.

“I guess so…She’s quite interesting. I think you two would get along quite well actually.”

“I bet we would. I’m relieved, I was worried that you’d be extremely hurt if I told you about my final decision.”

“To tell the truth, I am still a tad disappointed. However I was put in a situation similar to yours after you left. After I met Melody and got to know her more, I couldn’t stop thinking about her. I thought I’d begun to develop feelings for her, but I was still on the fence about you. I couldn’t choose. Of course I’m still a little disappointed it isn’t me you’ve chosen, but it means I don’t need to go such a large struggle that Junsu and I put you through. It also wouldn’t be fair to Melody; I don’t want to end up hurting her either.”

Again, the look came upon Nichkhun’s face as he talked about Melody. I smiled to myself.

“We’re friends though,” I held out my hand.

“Of course, good and close friends,” Nichkhun smiled and took my hand.

“And if you ever need help with Melody, come to me for advice. We’re both girls and I’m sure I could give you tips!”

“I just might take you up on those tips sometime, and vice versa for Junsu!” Nichkhun winked and sauntered out of the kitchen.

I finished dishing out portions of the curry for the 2PM members and set them on the table.

“Dinner! Let’s eat!” I called out and immediately heard the thumping of the members’ feet to the table.

Things were going to work out and be okay. I just knew it.