Proposal

The Heart Still Beats (For You)

“Hey, let’s watch ‘Hot Blood Men’ on Mnet tonight! I heard that they’re re-running the series!” Wooyoung bounced from the table towards the living room after dinner was served.

“Don’t you ever get tired of watching it? We filmed that more than three years ago! They replay it at least twice a year now…” Junho sighed and shook his head but followed Wooyoung to the living room anyways.

“You shouldn’t think like that, Junho!” Taecyeon gently admonished. “We were sent through that training camp for a reason.”

“Yeah. JYP thought we were getting lazy and our determination had faded, this was a way to get that determination back,” Jaebum interjected.

“I think watching this over and over reminds us about that,” Nichkhun also put in. “It’s good to remember and reflect, even though we’re now debuted idols.”

I smiled. It was good to have everyone on the same page again.

“You coming Junsu?” Chansung was the last to leave the kitchen, throwing a glance over his shoulder.

“Nah, I’ll be there in a few minutes. I’ve…I’ve got something to do first.”

Chansung looked back again, confused at first, and then his eyes light up with understanding.

“Ooooh, I see. Good luck!”

“That kid…” Junsu smiled and gave a laugh.

“He’s great. He’s like my younger brother,” I laughed with him.

“He basically is your younger brother now. We’re all family practically.”

“Yeah…”

Silence followed.

My heartbeat sped up a bit and I look from underneath my eyelashes to peek at Junsu’s face.

“So,” he began.

Startled by the initiative, I lowered my eyes quickly again.

“We have some stuff we haven’t sorted out yet, huh?” Junsu became solemn and got straight to the point.

“Yeah,” I hesitantly answered.

“Mind if I ask you some questions?” Junsu’s voice became slightly stiff, as if he was preparing to ask questions to an applicant he was interviewing for a job.

“Go ahead,” I replied in the same tone.

“So, just…No…I don’t need to ask you ‘some questions.’ I need to ask you just two questions, straight and simple. First, did you make a decision when you were away?”

“I did. I struggled furiously though, and didn’t get enough sleep these past days, but I did it. I made a decision. I don’t regret it, but the only thing I’m worried about is if ‘he’ feels the same way,” I was nearly in tears.

Junsu…he sounded to indifferent and so cold. Did that mean he had changed since I left?

“My second question,” Junsu’s tone shifted from expressionless to feeling, “is that person me? Do you still love me?” His voice broke, and now it was Junsu who was getting teary-eyed.

A relief washed over me. He still loved me and he still wanted me. Before I could answer though, all the tension, worry, and relief hit me and tears began flooding down my face.

“Y-y-y-y-yes,” I managed to croak out. “It’s always been you, Junsu…”

Junsu closed his eyes and I saw a small tear run down his face.

“I was so discouraged. Truthfully, I was disappointed in myself when I learned that you might have had feelings for Nichkhun. It was like I couldn’t make you happy enough. It made me angry and I snapped at you that day. I’m sorry. I’m sorry for putting you through this…I didn’t want to give you up though. That was the reason for my challenge with Nichkhun. I was only thinking about myself…”

I had no idea what Junsu had been going through when I was gone. I felt a wave of guilt overcome me. Now it was me who was disappointed. I was selfish too, I was only thinking of whom I should choose. I’d whined, I’d cried, and I’d run away when Junsu needed me the most.

“I’m sorry…” I whispered and I felt Junsu’s arms around me in an embrace.

I sighed and relaxed into a secure holding, one that was familiar and that I’d missed terribly. It was one that I’d never want to leave again.

“I love you,” Junsu’s voice found its way to my ear.

“And I love you…” I replied and buried my face into the warmth of Junsu’s hug.

Moments later I felt the cool rush of air between Junsu and I. He had gently pulled me away from him and we stared into each other’s eyes.

It was like that moment we had in that room before, when his leg was still injured.

Just the two of us, our breath the only audible sound.

Slowly, we both leaned forward and at last our lips finally touched. It had been so long since I had felt the tingling sensation of Junsu’s cool, smooth lips on mine.

“Eun-Gyo?” I heard him speak finally.

“Yes?”

“I love you…So much. I know that it’s early, as we are both young and inexperienced, but…Will you marry me?”

I gasped and another flood of tears came upon me.

“Yes…Yes I will…” I cried and flung myself into Junsu’s arms once more.


Awhile later, after collecting myself from the major shock of everything, I wiped my tears from my face.

“Come, let’s go watch ‘Hot Blood Men’ with the rest of the 2PM members, shall we?” Junsu stood up and held out his hand.

“Mhm, we shall…” I took his hand and we walked out together, hand in hand, to the living room where our ‘family’ sat around the television, the members laughing and bickering as usual…