The Last Day

One Day
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Henry woke up the next morning, he was very tempted to simply keep his eyes closed and act as if this day had never come. The bed was warm and comfortable, Zhou Mi had one arm wrapped loosely around him while Henry lay snuggled up to his boyfriend. Ayley and William were talking downstairs, but their voices were too muffled for the young Canadian to make out any words. He felt entirely comfortable and at home and couldn't think of much he would possibly want to change. Maybe if his parents could share this moment and this happiness with him... or if he wasn't sick... Then this would be perfect.

A soft sigh escaped him at those thoughts and the knowledge that things could most likely never again get closer to perfect than they were in that moment.

"Henry? Are you awake?" Zhou Mi asked softly and in Korean, reminding the younger man again about how real everything was.

The returnee reluctantly opened his eyes and tilted his head up to look at the other. "I am," he mumbled tiredly and then cuddled closer once more, earning a soft chuckle that rumbled through Zhou Mi's body.

"Don't you want to get up?"

Henry shook his head against the taller man's chest. "That means this day is truly here... But I don't want to leave."

The Chinese male gently and lazily started to caress his arm. "I understand... You have a lot of friends here. You're different here than you are in Korea."

Henry had to think about that statement for a moment, but then he realized the answer was more than obvious. "Of course I'm different here. I have my best friend here."

"I'm glad you two were able to meet once more."

"Me, too." The younger man sighed again and hid his face on Zhou Mi's chest as the realization that this had really been the last time he was able to see Ryeowook in person - unless due to some miracle the situation would change once they got back to South Korea. "I don't want to go back, Zhou Mi. I don't want to face reality again, I don't want things to maybe even have gotten worse without me realizing it," he whispered, feeling bad for telling the other about something he couldn't change and yet needing to speak his mind towards the one person whom he knew he could trust. "I don't want things to be over."

Zhou Mi tightened his embrace, but he didn't say anything. Both of them knew the inevitable couldn't be changed. The end was near. And once they got back to South Korea, reality would kick in again - the doctors appointments, the promise, the sadness of Henry's parents... None of that could be avoided once they were back in Seoul. The world wouldn't just stop because they wanted to. Everything would go on as if nothing extraordinary had happened. And for most people that would even be the case.

They stayed that way until someone knocked softly on the door. "Zhou Mi? Henry? Are you awake?" Ryeowook asked.

The youngest one waited for a tiny moment, taking in his boyfriend's scent and the comfort of his embrace, before he turned his head again so he could answer clearly. "Yes, yes, we're awake."

"Breakfast is almost ready. Will you come downstairs?"

"We'll be there in a second," Henry promised but didn't make a move to get out of bed.

"Alright."

The young Canadian man stayed in his position for a little longer until he knew he couldn't procrastinate any longer, then he leaned up to at least steal a good morning kiss from his boyfriend before he sat up reluctantly. "I guess we should go then, shouldn't we?"

"Ryeowook would probably like that," Zhou Mi agreed.

"Then let's make him happy." New determination filled Henry, a will to make this become a great day all of them would eventually like to remember. He got out of bed and went to the bathroom instead to get ready quickly without bothering to change out of his pajamas. He was home, after all!

When he got back out again, he quickly told Zhou Mi he was done, then he went downstairs to meet the other three adults.

"Hey there, sleepyhead~" Ayley and grinned over her cup of coffee from where she was standing, leaning against the counter. "Did you sleep well?"

"I did. What about you guys?" The others hummed and nodded in response while Henry sat down at the dining table with Will. "Can I help with anything?" he asked nevertheless.

"No, thank you. I think we're fine, aren't we, sweety?" Ayley asked and glanced at her son who was currently the only one actually preparing breakfast.

"Yeah, we're fine."

"That's good then," Henry replied and simply watched them, taking in every second so he could remember it when he was back in Korea. This morning felt even more important than the mornings before. "By the way, who's coming to the airport later with us?" he asked further when no one else said anything.

The others looked at each other. "I think just us," Ayley replied and the other two nodded.

"There wouldn't be enough space in the car for anyone else, after all," Will agreed.

"Too bad. I would have hoped maybe Jongwoon at least could come along as well," the youngest mused and pouted lightly. The blush on his best friend's cheeks did not go unnoticed by him.

"He has to work, as far as I know," Ryeowook replied with a nonchalant shrug.

"Ah, right... I almost forgot it's Friday," Henry replied and laughed sheepishly.

"How can you forget it's Friday?"

"I'm sorry! Since you're all home, it didn't feel like a weekday today..."

Ayley shook her head lightly, but she was smiling in amusement. "Oh Henry..."

"I'm sorry..."

Steps could be heard and a moment later Zhou Mi entered the kitchen as well. After a moment of looking around, he sat down next to Henry as he usually did.

"What are your plans for today?" William asked now that the two travellers were reunited and looked at them curiously.

Henry glanced up at his boyfriend who cluelessly looked back at him, then he turned back to his best friend's father. "I don't know. I don't really have any plans..."

"So we can just watch Netflix and chill?" Ryeowook opted. The returnee turned around to stare at his best friend for a moment, then he burst out laughing. Ryeowook, too, seemed to realize those words were usually used in a different context lately because a bright blush creeped up his cheeks. "Yah! You know how I mean that! Henry, get it together!"

"'Netflix and chill' has become a synonym for... making love," William explained to Zhou Mi, just making Henry laugh even harder.

"Don't forget to breathe, honey," Ayley reminded him from behind.

"You're all being unfair... You know I didn't mean it like that... I really was just talking about watching Netflix, eating some ice cream maybe, and simply relaxing..." Ryeowook explained himself, sounding offended.

"Sorry, Wookie," Henry gasped out eventually when he was starting to calm down. Glancing up, he could see an amused and happy expression on his boyfriend's features, making him smile brightly, then he wiped away a couple of tears. "You're not doing me any good... My stomach will hurt tomorrow," he whined.

"If it'll hurt from this bit of laughing, I recommend you do some exercise," Ryeowook deadpanned, though.

The youngest whined at that comment and leaned against his boyfriend instead. "Meanie... I just couldn't find a course in Seoul," he complained. That wasn't entirely true - he had found dancing classes, he had participated in one at first, but at some point everything had gotten too expensive for him to continue just like that.

If he had ever mentioned that course towards Ryeowook, the other didn't seem to remember it at that point because he replied, "Point for you."

"Touché," William agreed and laughed softly.

 

Just like they had said, they spent the rest of the day watching movies on Netflix that Henry and Ryeowook had used to watch together over and over again. Somehow they still knew a lot of the dialogues by heart, making them all laugh. William and Ayley spent most of the time away from the living room where the three young men watched the movies. They had ice cream as a snack and Ryeowook's mother made tomatoe soup later which Henry was sure was the best one he had ever tasted in his life.

Eventually, it was time to leave. They had finished the last movie a while ago and had turned to some card game instead that neither of them fully understood the rules of, though that didn't hinder them from playing.

"Hey kids, are you all set?" Ayley asked while she entered the living room.

The three young men looked up and for a tiny moment Henry felt his expression slip at the reminder that it was time to leave, but then he put on a smile again and nodded. "Yes. Zhou Mi and I already packed last night, so I think we're pretty much good to go. Just a few minor things may be missing."

Ayley nodded. "Then go ahead and finish packing quickly. And then let's hope we won't get stuck in traffic!"

Henry nodded back and put his cards down. "Wookie, will you put everything away?"

"Sure. Even though it's also a tempting thought to have you put it away so you'll get delayed," the slightly older male replied with a sad smile.

Instead of letting his real feelings show, Henry laughed. "Yes, that's true." He turned to Zhou Mi and held a hand out. "C'mon, let's go."

The Chinese man nodded and they went back upstairs for the last time to quickly finish packing their toiletries that they hadn't packed the night before or that morning. Both of them looked around once more when they were done, but when neither could spot anything they might have forgotten, they went back downstairs again with their suitcases and hand luggage.

A couple of minutes later, they started putting on their boots and jackets. Henry looked back at the house he had already once feared he'd never see again and that he was now certain he would leave for the very last time. He knew he would miss this place and the entire village even more now that he had been there one more time, but he also wouldn't have wanted it to be any other way.

"Are you ready?" Ayley asked softly when everyone else had already gone outside, making Henry look up again. He nodded with a soft smile.

"Yes, I am," he replied and went out as well. He got into the middle spot on the back seat, then Ryeowook got in next to him. When the door was locked, Ayley followed them into the car, then William started driving. The radio was , but this time no one sang along. They kept on chattering in a try to be cheerful, but all of them knew this drive was a lot more meaningful than it seemed to be.

When they arrived at the airport a little past three PM, Will let them out by the terminals so they could go ahead and get into line at the check in while he would look for a parking spot. Ayley and Ryeowook went into the building with Zhou Mi and Henry and got in line with them.

"What

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter