Home

One Day
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Henry woke up in a room he didn't know. It smelled familiar, he didn't have any trouble remembering he was in Canada, but when he opened his eyes, the only familiar thing seemed to be the chest his head rested on for a moment. He blinked, taking in the surroundings of a plain, white wall with windows that only showed the reflection of the room.

"Henry? Are you awake?" a soft, female voice called out. The young man hummed and cuddled a little closer to - as he had figured out by that point - Zhou Mi, who was stirring softly as well by then. "Dinner's almost ready. Wake up properly and then come downstairs, okay?"

Another hum was all Henry gave as an answer. He listened to Ayley as she left the room again. Now that he focused on it, he could hear a conversation downstairs between Ryeowook and what sounded like his father. Will was home!

The young man who had just arrived in his home country again sat up and wiped his eyes. He heard a groan from the man by his side and, in his favor, switched back to Korean, his tired mind not entirely on it as he only hoped the sentence turned out completely Korean and gramatically correct. "Zhou Mi, wake up." He reached a hand out to gently shake the Chinese man. "Dinner's ready."

The older slowly opened his eyes. Seeing he was waking up, Henry turned back to the room and finally figured out why it seemed so unfamiliar to him: they were staying in the guest room. He had never stayed in the guest room before. Until that day, he and Ryeowook had always at least slept in the same room, oftentimes even in the same bed. But this time, Ayley had told them they'd get the guest room, figuring Henry and Zhou Mi wanted to stay togehter. Plus, Henry would have the chance to switch rooms if he wanted to.

Slowly, he stood up and got out his phone, but it didn't show him the time he needed. He stared at the screen for a while until he figured out the time it was in Korea, then he went to his bag. In a little over half an hour, he'd have to take his next medication.

"What are you doing?" a tired voice asked behind him, still in Korean.

"Trying to stay on schedule with the stuff I have to take... I'm already afraid of all the things I'll have to take during the night." He grimaced. A change of time zones had never been part of his plans as he had adjusted the medication to his everyday life.

"Henry, Zhou Mi, are you coming?" Ayley called from the kitchen downstairs.

"Coming, mom," Henry called down and rolled his eyes lightly. He found the medication he'd have to take soon and put it on the bedside table, then he stood up again. "C'mon, Zhou Mi," he said still in english and held out his hand for the older. "You can't tell me you're not hungry." Now that he focused on it, he could smell the food Ayley had made and he was certain he had figured out what it was not even a second later. If it was what he thought about, he'd have no problems eating it.

The older took Henry's hand and tiredly got up as well. "How do you do that?" he asked in Korean.

"Do what?" Henry replied in english. They were in Canada, the older would need to get used to speaking english at all times as well.

Seemingly getting the hint, Zhou Mi stayed quiet for a moment before he answered slowly, "The changing. From English to Korean, I mean."

Henry shrugged. "I already did it when I went to Korea and still had to learn the language. We settled on speaking Korean even at home because that was the only real way we had to get used to speaking Korean properly and all the time. Now it's just the other way around. But since I've always kept my english active..." He shrugged again. "But you do the same with Chinese, don't you?"

"But I usually don't have to speak that much Mandarin..." Zhou Mi replied.

Henry nodded. It was a valid argument since it seemed like the older really only ever spoke his native language when he was on the phone with his parents - which he had by that point been twice in all the time Henry had been with him.

They went downstairs, still holding hands. Henry knew it wasn't necessary even if he had to lead the way, but he still felt happier feeling their hands connected.

"- and her tiny hands, it was so cute! She held my finger for the first time!" Ryeowook just said.

"How many times have we already heard you say that?" Will asked back, but he seemed rather amused than annoyed.

"I'm sorry. But Suzy is really a cutie. And she likes me the most!"

"They all do, honey," Ayley replied as well.

"That's not true!"

"But everyone you tell us about does."

"That I think is true..." Henry could hear the pout in Ryeowook's voice and smiled at his best friend's childishness.

"Ryeowook, you do realize before you get children on your own we expect you to move out, right?" Will asked.

"I kno-how!" It was obvious they didn't have that conversation for the first time, but it still amused Henry.

"Do you really think he'll ever leave?" he interrupted the conversation, making all three heads turn towards them. Ayley and Will were sitting at the kitchen table while Ryeowook was working at the counter. The young man beamed at the sight of the couple entering the kitchen while the other two simply smiled at them.

Will stood up. "Henry! It's so good to see you again." He enveloped the youngest in a tight hug and Henry responded to it with one arm, still holding Zhou Mi's hand with the other one.

"Will, may I introduce my boyfriend Zhou Mi to you?" the young adult said when they broke the hug. He glanced at the Chinese man and then looked back at Ryeowook's father curiously.

The latter smiled and held his arms out. "It's nice to meet you, Zhou Mi. I've already heard a lot about you," he said and winked at Henry, then he also gave the foreigner a hug that was returned even more awkwardly, making the others laugh.

At Zhou Mi's side glance, Henry explained, "I'm part of this family, so you are considered one as well. Get used to a lot of hugging while you're here." He grinned, knowing very well that Zhou Mi wasn't used to any of that. He himself had had his troubles getting used to the more formal and cold environment of Korea as well.

Ayley nodded in agreement. "That's true. Henry is like our second son to us, as his boyfriend we will also regard you as part of our family," she emphasized and smiled warmly. Henry beamed at those words and glanced back at a rather shocked Zhou Mi, making him giggle.

"Mom, dad, leave him alone! He's getting a culture shock on his first day of being here!" Ryeowook interrupted them. "Come here and sit or I'm gonna eat it all alone!"

"No way!" Will instantly protested and went back to the table to sit facing his wife, but Ryeowook clicked his tongue.

"Dad, sit with mom! Poor Zhou Mi isn't going to be seperated from Henry, at least not today."

Henry grinned at his best friend. "Thank you~" he replied and let go of his boyfriend's hand just to sneak up on Ryeowook and hug him.

"Uah! Let go of me!" the slightly older one protested right away. "I'm carrying food!"

The returnee huffed but did as he was told. He went to the chair that had just been freed and motioned for Zhou Mi to come to his side. "Come on~" The older hesitantly followed his lead and went to the chair next to him, then they sat down.

"What's life like in South Korea?" Will asked curiously. "I only know about half of the things you and Ayley talked about, so I clearly need an update, kiddo!"

Henry giggled and started to fill his plate as Ryeowook carried everything to the dining table. He began to tell the others about his life in Korea, but stopped when he noticed the strange gazes he got. "What?"

"It's just... Is that all you're going to eat?" Will asked.

The younger boy looked down at his plate, then at Zhou Mi's and realized only now that it was pointed out that he only had about half the size of his boyfriend's portions - and those weren't big either. The older probably wanted to take the chance to first try what he had been given. "It... might be..." Henry replied slowly, looking down. He could sense how quickly the mood in the room had changed. "But don't worry, it's fine. I'll take more if I want more."

"But Henry-" Will stopped in his tracks and glancing up, Henry could see the two parents exchanging a glance, then Will leaned back. "I'm sorry. Please continue and tell us about your life in Korea."

The youngest swallowed hard, but did as he was asked, trying to get the mood back to the cheerful side as he talked about funny anecdotes. As they progressed with their meal, Henry being the one to eat the slowest since he was talking almost the entire time, Zhou Mi filling in occasionally, and Ayley and Ryeowook asking more questions, the mood was slowly raised again until they could even laugh together like they could at the beginning.

Since neither of them had made any plans, they ended up playing games after dinner while chatting about all kinds of things. What had they missed of each other's lives? What were funny anecdotes to share with each other? They also planned the next couple of days together, thinking of things they thought were definitely worth visiting either again or for the first time in Zhou Mi's case. Some were things even Henry hadn't seen yet. Occasionally, Ryeowook was on his phone and from the smile, Henry figured it was Jongwoon the other was texting with.

It was late at night and the atmosphere had become rather lightheaded since both Zhou Mi and Henry were completely on edge due to the lack of sleep when they eventually decided to go to bed.

Ryeowook giggled. "I bet this is what dr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter