First Meeting

One Day
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Henry sat at the river, staring into the water. 3 years earlier, doctor Park had told him about his cancer. Since then he had gone to the river every day. The water was calming for him somehow. It represented immortality. He knew that his death was coming closer every second - and it already was closer than for most people his age. Only two days earlier, Leeteuk - the doctor - had told him that he most likely wouldn't live to see the next year. It was fall.

Henry stared into the flowing water and wondered if or how many parts of it he had already seen. He didn't know. And he never would. Because that was what life did to you.

He thought of his parents. He hadn't told them yet that he would persumably die this year. Leeteuk had offered him that he could do it but Henry had just shaken his head. He wanted to do it himself. Or better: he didn't want them to know. They worried too much. And to ease them of the pain they had to be feeling he acted cheerful around them. But in front of the river he didn't have to act as if everything was okay. Because he wouldn't see and hear the river crying, he wouldn't have to feel guilty for being ill. He didn't have to hide what he felt. Because if he cried, the people around him would just continue their way instead of breaking down as well.

Henry felt a tear leave the corner of his eye and quickly wiped it away with the back of his hand. Where had the happy boy gone he once had been? Had he gone with the wind, just like the cancer seemed to have come with it?

He pulled his feet up so they were on the bench as well, hugged his knees and rested his chin on top of them. Like that he continued staring into the water. There were so many thinggs he would never get to discover. He would never have a driving liscence or live alone. Never get drunk. Never get to see his favorite band live on stage.

Never get to fall in love.

He knew that it was most likely the most rediculous thing he didn't want to miss no matter what but he had always wanted to know what it was like to be in love. To truely be in love. Like his parents. But by now he didn't believe anymore that his biggest wish would come true before he died.

Henry looked at all the laughing people passing him. He wasn't jealous because most if not all of them could have what he couldn't. He just wished to be healthy again.

He looked at his watch, jumping when he saw the time. He should've been long since home! But.... it was so nice here.... just one more minuet...

He stared at the water. What would change if he wouldn't be there anymore?

"Hey!" he heard a voice say but ignored it. There was no one he could know. He didn't even go to school anymore... the only connection to a normal life had been taken from him at the beginning of this year...

"Hey, you!" Henry looked up when someone came to a stand in front of him and slightly bowed down to be on eye level with him. He looked at the man. Should he smile now? "You looked sad. Is everything okay?"

Who was this man? "Yeah, I'm fine. Why do you ask? I mean, besides the fact that I looked sad. Usually people will just pass me and not care any further about me." He replied and looked up at the stranger who had straightened again.

"I don't know. Maybe because you looked somehow the way I feel? At least to some extend..." the other man said before he laughed, in embarrassment as Henry suggested. "I'm sorry, can I sit down next to you?"

Henry shrugged. "I don't know about anyone else sitting there," he replied and the other sat down next to him. It was weird for him to suddenly have someone sitting there, regarding he was usually alone when he came to the river. But the man didn't say anything else, so he could kind of ignore his presence and sit there in thoughts until a golden retriever appeared in his view, running straight towards him and having its paws on the bench on either side of his legs before Henry could put his feet back down. A smile spread across his face. "Hope!" he squealed and ruffled the dog's bright fur. "Hey my dear, how have you been?!" he asked, kneeling down so that his eyes were on the same level as the dog'

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter