Henry vs Butterfly

One Day
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Henry stood in front of SME's doors and took a deep breath. He had his violin case in his hand and now only needed to get into the building.

He took a last deep breath and then took up the challange, stepped into the building. He glanced around and immediately spotted Donghae talking with some other man he supposed was the same from the day before. Slowly, he made his way towards the two men. He came to a stand besides them, unsure if he should say something so they would notice he was there already. Standing there, he couldn't say he understood anything of what the two of them were talking about. So he started to get bored after a while and looked around. The hall was huge, but a lot of people rushed through it, made it look more crouded than it most likely really was. And everyone was talking, either asking others to make some space to let them get through or because they actually did have something important (or not so important, he didn't know) to talk about.

"Henry-ah! Since then have you been here already?"

The boy looked up when he heard his name. "O-oh... just for a moment... I've just arrived."

"Okay, are you two ready to start then?" the other man asked. Yes, it was the man from the day before! At least did this guy speak just as fast as the other man had and he looked the same.

Donghae looked at the Canadian and said boy nodded. Then the dance teacher looked up again. "Yes, we can go," he said and let the other man go first. But of course did they head for the elevators.

"Ermm.... h-hyung?" Henry asked quietly.

Donghae looked at him. "It's okay, Hyuk-ah already told me, it's the 6th floor."

Henry nodded and then turned to the side to head for the stairs.

He was surprised when he noticed he wasn't the only one using them because on the first floor, the door swung open and another man joined him on the stairs and he could hear someone walking further up ahead. It seemed like a couple of other people shared his and Sungmin's opinion about the elevators in that building as well.

He got out on th sixth floor and looked around if he could spot someone he knew. When he couldn't he decided to go into the direction of the elevators, but before he had even taken ten steps, he stopped again. A couple of feet away, a door wasn't closed properly and he could hear violin tunes emerging from that direction. He closed in on the door and listened. The tunes sounded good together and he was sure they were all played correctly. The melody was a soft one. But... something was missing...

"Ah, Henry-ah, you've already arrived!"

The Canadian boy jumped at hearing Donghae's voice all of a sudden. "N-ne, hyung." he stuttered.

'"Let's enter then, I don't have the whole day for you!"

Donghae stayed a bit behind with Henry. "Okay, this group is still pretty young. They usually dance while playing, you'll see how that works out in a second. They mostly play alone in short interferences during their songs, sometimes they also play the whole song's melody in small groups while the others sing and dance, then there are also songs in which there is no violin at all. Are you ready?" Henry nodded. Even though Donghae had spoken quickly, it had still been in a pace that he could understand almost completely without any problems. Also, he had used normal words, words you could hear everywhere and not those for which you needed an encyclopedia.

They entered the practice room. The music had stopped, instead did the man talk to the kids now. Henry gave up understanding him the second he heard his pace, he could bet he spoke twice as ast as he himself usually did. Instead, he focused on the trainees. The seemed to be annoyed and tensed. They should be neither of that if they wanted to play properly. Slowy, he started to get a feeling for what had been missing.

All twelve were there, just like Donghae had said the day before - six boys and six girls.

"I think Henry-ah can introduce himself alone as well." Donghae's voice stopped the flood of words the other man produced.

Everyone's eyes turned to the Canadian and Henry looked around the room once, lastly meeting Donghae's eyes. The teacher nodded and Henry looked back at the trainees. "Annyeong-haseyo," he started and bowed. "My name is Henry Lau but you can just call me Henry. I'm from Canada and really have no idea what half of the words mean that the other man uses because I've never actually worked as a teacher. I could bet I would understand everything if he said it in English but well, he doesn't... I also have problems understanding everything properly when you speak too fast so - when you want to talk about me, do it in a fast pace but when you talk with me, please speak a little bit more slowly," he continued with a slight smile and earned some giggles from the girls. "I heard your actual teacher got sick. Well, I've never worked as a teacher, I've only always been the student, so I can only promise to do my best today and try to not fail completely as his substitute," he finished.

"Okay, you guys heard him. Now do me a favor and play the same melody again so he can make himself a picture of you all. Oh, and Mr Lau? I'm their manager."

Henry blushed. "I'm sorry. I didn't know that."

"I've said it more than once."

"I'm sorry." He was about to bow again when Donghae stopped him from doing so.

"No, stop saying that. It's only natural that you didn't understand everything from what he said when Hangul isn't your first language," he denied. "It's just good being able to speack quickly in this company sometimes. So it can also happen that you notice me speaking just as fast. But don't worry too much, when I talk to you I will speak normally."

Henry nodded, then he sat down leaning against the mirrored wall to watch the others' performance. Now that he could watch them as well, it was almost obvious. Now he knew what had bothered him before - even though the tunes were most likely played correctly, he could see and hear that the trainees paied more attention to making everything correct and not doing it with their hearts. He could never see any expression but exhaustion on their faces. They almost seemed like marionettes to him. His expression saddened. SHINee seemed to be so eager to learn something, they had a lot of fun during their work and he had come to like their songs and their dances because he could see how happy they were while performing, even though there were moments when they were exhausted as well. These people were nothing in comparison. They learned how to do something - but there was no feeling in their tunes.

His violin case was lying next to him while he made up a plan for what to do next. When they had finished, he sighed. They were looking at their manager instead of him. "Good, good! Everything was correct so far. But you have to learn to make the play and your dance seem to belong together! And Chris, why can't you do that turn right even once?!"

"I'm sorry," the boy who had to be Chris apologized and bowed.

"Okay, okay. Mr Lau, what do you say about my kids?"

His kids? Henry raised an eyebrow for a second, then decided to ignore that. "Well... I don't want to judge about them too much already. But, could I maybe get a short solo performance from every single member? With a quick introduction if possible? I will say more afterwards."

Everyone looked at him in slight confusion besides Donghae, but then almost everyone came to join the three men sitting on the ground already. Only one of the boys remained. When everything had quieted down, he started. "My name is Junho and I am the leader of our band." Henry nodded, looking at the dark haired boy for a moment to try to be able to make him out later again, then Junho already started. The melody he played was wild just like his dance most likely intended to be - but both didn't quite fit together yet because Henry could see again that everything he did came from his mind, not from his heart.

When he was finished, Henry just nodded and the next one stood up to continue. "I am Satori and I am one of the main violinists," she said and the melody of the girl with the long, black hair started. Henry watched her and noticed the same thing he had also noticed on Junho.

The next ones were Sandeul, a lead violinist, and Nayeon, a lead violinist and lead singer. Then the three lead dancers came up, Chris, Daehyun and Aeri, afterwards the remaining two lead singers, Jaehyung and Eunji, presented themselves. The last three to go up were Jeongmin, Mina and Yejin. They weren't leaders in any of the topics.

In the end, Henry had come to the same conclusion for everyone. He sighed. Now he would have to say it aloud.

"Okay guys, listen. I think you're really good - but if you don't change something, you will never get to the point of being perfect. At least not in my eyes.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter