First Interview

One Day
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Ryeowook? May I enter?"

"Sure, come in!" Henry opened the door to his best friend's bedroom to find the slightly older male on his computer. From what he could see, the other was playing around on one of the music making programs he liked to use. He knew better than to ask if he could listen to the so far unfinished piece. His best friend was looking for perfection in his music, so he hardly ever revealed any of the pieces he made. But when he did, he could brag about it for a month.

"You still compose music."

Ryeowook shrugged lightly and then turned around to him. "I do. It gives me something to do."

"So you need something to do while I am here~?"

The slightly older man laughed. "I'm sorry. It just bothers me, there's something about that composition that's still missing, but I can't figure it out..." He sighed.

Henry laughed softly and sat down on the made bed. He would have loved to suggest listening to it or having one of the others listen to it, but he knew Ryeowook would want to finish it and find what was missing on his own. "Will you tell me whether it's a slow or more up-beat melody?"

"You'll hear."

"I will?" Henry looked at his best friend in surprise.

Ryeowook nodded. "Yes, you will! I'm pretty confident about this one. Once I figured out what needs to be different, I'll let you listen to it."

"Then find out quickly, alright?"

"Don't worry, I almost have it." Henry nodded at those words, happy to know he'd be allowed to listen to another one of Ryeowook's beautiful compositions. "But this is not what you came here for, is it?"

The younger shook his head. "Zhou Mi's working right now, sooo..."

"You got bored. But that's just your alibi." Ryeowook leaned forward and rested his elbows on his knees. "What's your actual reason?"

Henry looked down, feeling a little embarrassed because his best friend could still read him so well. On the other side, he was also happy about that circumstance. "I came to talk to you about Jongwoon."

Different feelings could be seen on Ryeowook's face for a moment and Henry thought he saw surprise and slight fear as well. In the end, all that was left to see was curiosity. "What is it?"

"You like him, don't you?"

Ryeowook looked down and remained quiet for a moment. "Yes," he said eventually, "but not in the way you're referring to."

Henry shook his head and leaned foreward as well, resting his elbows on his knees, too. "Wookie, you know you can be completely honest with me. I just beseech you, be honest with yourself as well. I've been watching you ever since I first saw you two interact at the kindergarten."

"What are you talking about?"

Henry shrugged and listed all of the elements he had noticed in the other two's behavior. As he talke, he could see Ryeowook's eyes growing wider and wider. When he finished, Henry smiled. "Think about it. And remember: Life is too short to hide away." With that said, Henry stood up, flashed his best friend a warm smile, and left. He had only gotten to the door, though, when he heard the slightly older male speak up once more.

"Henry? Am I sending the wrong signals?"

Said male turned around to look at Ryeowook. "I don't know. Are you?" He knew that wasn't what Ryeowook wanted to hear, but he couldn't give the other an answer that he might not even feel comfortable with. "Good night, Wookie." He exited the room with a smile still plastered to his lips. In his letter, Ryeowook had called his co-worker cute, so Henry was positive something would develop between Jongwoon and Ryeowook. He just hoped he'd still get to witness some of it at least.

 

Zhou Mi's alarm went off early the next morning. Henry groaned and tried to snuggle more into his boyfriend, unwilling to get up already, but the older male gently pushed him aside. A moment later, the sound was silenced abruptly, then Henry could feel the mattress as the other sat up.

"Is it really time already?" he mumbled, trying half-heartedly not to fall asleep right away.

"Yes, we do," Zhou Mi replied, not sounding quite awake just yet either.

"What time is it?"

"It's 6:15. The meeting is at eight, so we both need to get up now."

"Don't wanna," Henry whined and hid away in the blankets.

Zhou Mi laughed softly. "I'll get ready first. But you better be dressed by the time I'm done!"

"Alright," Henry mumbled and listened as his boyfriend stood up and left the room. With a sigh, he forced himself to get up, take his medication, and then look around for the clothes he had been certain he had placed somewhere the night before. After an embarrassingly long time, he found them lying on his suitcase - Zhou Mi had hung his over the only chair in the room.

Sleepily, Henry got up and got dressed, then he sat down on his bed again and tiredly waited for his boyfriend to return. He didn't have to wait long until he heard a soft knock and the door was opened. Zhou Mi entered with a surprised expression that quickly changed into a warm smile. "You did get up!"

"Did you really doubt that?" the younger asked back and raised an eyebrow. The look in the older's eyes said all he needed to know. "Alright, alright! Remember, I'm not used to getting up this early," he defended himself with a pout and got up. Zhou Mi let him pass through the door.

"I'll see you downstairs."

Henry hummed in response and went into the bathroom that was just across the hallway. He hurried to get ready because he could already smell a delicious breakfast downstairs. Scrambled eggs! What could possibly be any better than that?

Walking downstairs, he spotted William, Ayley, and Zhou Mi chatting away the time left until their breakfast would be ready. All of them looked up, though, when he entered.

"Good morning, honey," Ayley greeted him with a warm smile.

"Good morning," Will said as well.

Henry smiled back, feeling more awake by that time. "Good morning~ What are we having for breakfast?" he asked, but didn't hesitate to go over to the cooking area to look at the food on his own. He could see the eggs he had already smelled and bacon as well. A soft pout appeared on his lips at the plain thought of the heavenly bacon made by Ayley and the knowledge he'd be unable to eat it. He watched curiously, though, as his best friend's mother took out the bacon and put it on a free plate, then she cracked some more eggs open on the now empty pan and let the insides fall into the pan. Henry frowned. "What are you doing?"

Ayley smiled at him knowingly. "I figured you'd like to get a little of the bacon as well since I know how much you always loved it."

The youngest needed another moment to understand what Ayley meant, then his eyes widened. "Thank you!!" he exclaimed and hugged the middle aged woman tightly. He'd not only get scrambled eggs, but even scrambled eggs with bacon flavor.

Ayley laughed. "You're welcome, kiddo~"

In the meantime, William got himself one of the pieces of bacon, munching on it as he listened, and taking the plate with his free hand to offer it to Zhou Mi. "You want some?"

The foreigner looked at the others hesitantly. "Is it really okay like this?"

Henry nodded. "Of course it is, it's bacon! And believe me, this is the best bacon you'll ever get to taste," he assured his boyfriend with a bright smile. The older was still hesitant, but then he took one of the pieces as well and tried it. A moment later, his face lit up as well and Henry grinned, knowing the other understood. Satisfied, he turned back to Ayley. "When will you be done?"

"Just another minute, then the first round will be ready."

Henry nodded and, seeing the table hadn't been set yet, got out plates, forks, and knives for them. Except from Zhou Mi, no one made a move to help him - he as home, after all, and that meant he needed to help when he could. The smile stayed plastered on his lips at that thought and he couldn't help the warmth filling him at the knowledge that he indeed was home.

When she was done filling the pan with eggs, Ayley grabbed herself some bacon as well, so Henry got three paper napkins for the others to wipe their hands with, receiving soft 'thank you's as he passed them on.

They were quiet for a moment until William spoke up again, "I wonder what Ryeowook will do today."

Ayley and Zhou Mi shrugged, but Henry looked up with a dreamy smile. "I think he will continue composing his latest work."

His best friend's parents nodded in understand, only Zhou Mi was surprised at those words. "He composes?"

Ryeowook's mother nodded. "Yes, he does. He has some kind of program on his computer and sometimes spends weeks working on one melody and then neglects it."

"He also sings to it oftentimes," William added and watched his wife put the first scrambled eggs on four plates.

They all took one plate with the fork already lying on it, but before they could start eating, Ayley shooed them away. "Go sid down, for God's sake!" Henry laughed and put the first fork full of delicious scrambled eggs into his mouth as he went to the dining table, followed by the other two men. They all sat down facing Ayley - even though William had to turn his chair a little to watch his wife - and started to eat while the woman stayed by the stove as she ate. "You guys know the rules, whoever doesn't like the food has to leave the house immediately."

"I've really missed your food!" Henry replied between two fork fulls of eggs.

Ayley rolled her eyes. "Oh, stop with the flattery. You haven't even tried everything yet," she .

"You food really is good, though," Zhou Mi jumped in and, glancing at his boyfriend, Henry could see a beautiful smile on his lips. He could tell Zhou Mi still thought some of their dishes were strange since he hadn't eaten them before, but he always tried them and hearing him say he liked Ayley's cooking now made Henry feel like a proud son.

"Well, kids, what time did you say you have to be there?" Ayley asked and looked at Henry and Zhou Mi expectantly.

"The meeting starts at eight, so a little before that, about ten to fifteen minutes, would be really great," the latter replied.

Ayley nodded and turned around again to take care of the next scrambled eggs. "Honey, I think the eggs are almost done."

Henry beamed and stood up. He hadn't quite finished his first round of scrambled eggs yet, but that didn't matter. He went to the stove and held his plate out, beaming as his best friend's mother put the scrambled eggs from the bacon pan onto his plate. "Thank you~"

Ayley laughed softly. "You're welcome. Do you want all of it?"

"If you want some, you can have it first and I'll take the rest and whatever I can't eat, the other two can share."

Ayley nodded. "Sounds like a plan to me," she replied with a warm smile and put the majority of the scrambled eggs on Henry's plate.

The youngest sat down on his chair again and happily started to munch on his eggs with bacon flavor, humming in delight at the taste. "Ayley? You're the best," he said between two bites, causing the middle aged woman to laugh.

"Believe me, honey, I know."

Henry laughed as well at that response. Seeing his boyfriend was done eating, he offered

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter