A Surprising Suggestion

One Day
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next day went by quite boring. Henry played a couple of melodies on his violin (though they sounded as boring as everything else seemed to be that day in the young Canadian's opinion) and went to the river, but he couldn't really make time pass. He started to wonder how the days had gone by when he hadn't known Zhou Mi, but it must've been possible somehow.

It was already 3pm and Henry was lying on his bed, too bored to do anything, when the telephone rang for the third time that day. His mother answered the call. He could hear her talking though he didn't understand what she said.

He sighed but immediately jumped when his mother knocked and opened the door slightly. "Henry?"

"N-ne?"

"Here's someome who wants to talk to you."

"Who is it?"

She didn't answer, only handed him the receiver with a smile, but it was enough to make Henry's heartbeat increase a little. It was Zhou Mi! Finally!

"Yeoboseyo?" he asked as if he didn't know who was on the other line.

"Give me my phone back!" he heard the man he had wanted to hear scream on the other end. Henry frowned. What now?

"Henry? Is that you already?" an excited voice asked, ignoring Zhou Mi.

"Taemin?"

"Yay, it's you!" the boy squealed.

"Why did you call?"

"I didn't, hyung did. But I don't let him get near his phone right now! We've finished practice for today. Hyung still has some things to do, but he said that because he'll be off in about 15 minutes he wanted to call you now! Why did he say so?"

Henry had to smile because of the younger boy, but he also blushed a little. "I wanted to get to know this Donghae-guy so Zhou Mi said I should come, pick him up today," he answered truthfully.

"How do you know about Donghae-hyung?"

"Zhou Mi told me about him yesterday."

"When?"

"Later. We talked once more at the end of the day..." Now he blushed harder.

"Aw~ you two are so sweet!"

... and harder.

"LEE TAEMIN! MY PHONE! RIGHT NOW!"

"Gyah! Henry, do something, he's going to kill me!" Taemin screamed.

Henry could hear something weird, then another voice was at the phone - still not Zhou Mi's. He screamed at Taemin in the background. "Henry-ah, is that you?"

"Eunhyuk-sshi?"

"Hyung."

"I'm sorry."

"But yes, it's me."

"Ah, hello then!" Henry smiled, but then it indeed sounded like Taemin got killed on the other end. "What is Zhou Mi doing with that boy?" he asked, not sure if he wanted to know the answer.

"Well... if that boy survives today nothing's gonna be able to shock him so easily anymore," Eunhyuk commented on what he saw.

Henry gulped. "Poor Taemin."

"No, he deserves it. I'd do the same if I were Zhou Mi-ah."

"You mean... if you tried to call Donghae-sshi and someone took away your phone before you got to talk to him?"

"Yes. Exactly that. So, why did Min-ah say Zhou Mi called you? You wanted to meet my Hae?"

Henry blushed at the other's words. "Y-yeah. I heard that your... that your boyfriend came in just after Sungmin and I left and I was sad that I didn't get to meet him, so I wanted to make up for that today."

Eunhyuk laughed. "That's good." Then he seemed to hold the receiver away from his ear because his voice was more quiet. "And you stop hitting me young mister!"

"I'm not doing anything!" a voice said that he didn't know. Was that Donghae's voice?

"Yeah, yeah, of course you aren't. You're going to regret that later today!"

"Don't say such things when someone could hear you! Is he still on the phone?" Zhou Mi!

"I don't know, are you still there, Henry-ah?"

"What, was I supposed to get off?"

"No, you weren't! Hey!" That last word wasn't directed towards him anymore, he could tell.

"Henry?"

"... is going to end the call when he is handed to a forth person!" He pouted to make his voice sound more real, but on the inside he was all smiles.

"You won't, don't worry about that." Then he told the others, "Hey guys, I gotta get going now! See you in 15 minutes at the door!"

"See you, hyung!" everyone screamed back besides Eunhyuk who screamed, "See you, dongsaengie!"

A door seemed to be close, then Zhou Mi was back. "Okay, now I'm alone, no danger for you to be handed to another person before I attend that meeting."

"That's good!" Now he stopped to try to hold that smile back.

"So, are you coming over now?"

"That would mean that I had to end the call!"

"Oh no, then you can't leave already!" Zhou Mi protested and Henry laughed.

"But then I won't get to see you so soon! The sooner the better!"

"Oh, you're right again. How could I forget?"

"You know, that happens sometimes when you get older..."

"Henry!"

The boy laughed. "Yeah, that's my name. Did you want to repeat it once more to make sure you won't forget it?" Zhou Mi didn't answer. "Hello, you still there?"

"HENRY LAU!!!!"

Now Henry burst out laughing uncontrollably. Somehow it was really funny to teach the older boy. "Wow, you remember my name correctly," he said breathlessly, then still had to continue laughing.

But when nothing resonated from the other side of the receiver for almost a whole minute, Henry started to get worried. "Zhou Mi? Are you still there?"

"Are you finish teasing me now?" He sounded angry.

"Listen, I'm sorry, okay?" He immediately regretted his words. He hadn't wanted to upset the other.

Zhou Mi sighed. "It's okay. I've just had a stressful day until now and I'm glad there's only one more meeting. Hurry to come over, okay? I have to end the call for now."

"Zhou Mi! You aren't too angry with me, are you?" Henry asked, feeling himself panicking slightly. He didn't want the other to be angry with him!

The Chinaman sighed again. "No, I'm not. Today just hasn't been my best day until now. But I'm sure it'll get better when you come over."

"Then I'll be at your work faster than you could believe."

"Don't run too fast."

"Who talked about running? My mother's off today..." He didn't finish the sentence but Zhou Mi laughed again, even though Henry thought that it sounded a little bit forced.

"Then I'll see you soon my little cheater."

"I am no-" cheater! he wanted to protest. But the other had already ended the call.

Henry pouted at the telephone for a second before he decided that was only wasted time and he could as well ask his mother to drive him to the company in the meanwhile.

He went out of his room and found Sooyoung in the living room, reading some book of her's. "Mom?" he asked, approaching her. She looked up from her book. "Would you mind driving me to Zhou Mi's work?"

"Is it far away?"

"No, not really. At least not too far."

"Okay. Then get ready." She sighed and Henry knew that she would have preferred to continue reading.

Still, they got ready, put on their raincoats and shoes, then they left the house and got into the car. "So, where does the young master want to go?" Sooyoung asked with a smile that made her seem to be younger than she was.

"To SME, if that's not too far."

His mother immediately stopped while trying to drive out of the parking space. "Seriously? Henry, c'mon, be serious, where does he work?"

"Mom, he really works for SM Entertainment. He's managing this band, I think their name is SHINee."

"SHINee? Those newcomers?!?"

"Mom, could you please stop thinking about that and instead take to SME? I'm going to be too late otherwise!" he begged.

His mother gave in and started driving again. "Okay, well... so, he really workds for SM Entertainment."

"Yes."

"And you already were there once."

"Yes."

"Did you get to know a lot of people already?"

"No, no, no! I mean... I got to know some. Like this dance teacher... and, well, SHINee. Taemin's really cute and funny! I like that boy!"

His mother laughed nervously. "Well, if you say so..."

"He's really sweet. You should get to know him someday! I'm sure you'd like him!" he said with a smile.

"You know them... so you're the only one who can judge..."

"Have you already heard something from them?"

"The apprentice we have right now listens to them a lot. So I guess it would be better if no one told them my son knows those boys personally."

"So you all also know some of their songs?"

"Yes. Not all of them willingly but well..."

Henry laughed. "It's okay! I like those boys! They're really friendly!" He looked at his mother and noticed she still had a strange look on her face. "Mom? Is everything okay?"

"What? Oh, yeah, yeah."

"Of course... Mom, everything's okay. Those guys are really nice. Stop worrying. And even if that apprentice from your work catches word that I've been there, I could organize some autographs if she wants to."

"You know, she'd kill you."

"What?"

"For not taking her with you. And for you being the one who gets to meet them and not her."

Henry shrugged with a smile. "Then let her kill me. I know how to save myself. And then she will end up dead - from shock!"

"What?"

"I'll just hide behind the boys. And when they defeat me instead of standing on her side she'll be on mine in no time!"

Now his mother actually laughed. "You have too much fantasy!"

"No, I don't! But thanks for driving me!"

They had arrived at the tall SM building and Henry undid the seatbelt, hugged his mother again quickly, then he got out of the car. He had never wanted to drive a car and had even rejected to take lessons. So now when he wanted to get somewhere by car - which happened about once a year - he had to ask his parents to drive him. But he didn't mind because he liked the nature better either way and even if he had to get to someplace he wouldn't be able to reach on foot, he could easily take the subway.

He entered the building happily, knowing he would get to see Zhou Mi soon. Though... what if Zhou Mi really was angry at him?

He didn't even come to an end of his thoughts when he was already tackled by a squealing boy. "HENRY~!"

Said guy laughed. "Taeminnie~!" he squealed back and hugged the boy, though Taemin stepped back quickly and instead pulled at his hand excitedly. "C'mon, c'mon, you have to get to know Donghae-hyung!"

Henry laughed but let the younger boy drag him through the entrance hall until they reached a table and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter