Pastor Jonathan

One Day
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sunday was even better than Saturday. The plans were to enjoy a lazy morning before going to church because Henry really wanted to see the pastor again and talk to him, catch up a little on all the things that had happened the past few years. Knowing at that point no one new had taken on that job, the returnee was really looking forward to going to church. Ryeowook had even said they'd meet Jongwoon there which was another reason for Henry to look forward to leaving.

"Come on, why are you all taking so long~?" he hurried everyone as he stood by the door, already dressed in his boots and a thick jacket while Ayley still had to leave to get something and Ryeowook hadn't even come back downstairs yet. Will and Zhou Mi were getting ready to go outside in the meantime, exchanging an amused look.

"Henry, if you're that anxious to get going, why don't you grab some of the stuff we need?" Ayley called from the kitchen.

"Because I don't need anything else and I bet you already grabbed some water for us, so what else could I get?" the youngest replied as Ryeowook came down the stairs.

Will laughed. "Touché!" he replied and high fived the returnee, making Zhou Mi smile as well.

"What's going on?" Ryeowook asked and got his shoes, putting them on as well.

"Our second boy hurries us but won't help," Ayley complained as she left the kitchen and handed the water bottles to Henry and William without giving them the chance to protest. The two of them looked at each other, unsure if that had really gone as planned, but neither of them complained.

"Well, mom, it's your duty to always be ready last," Ryeowook replied with a shrug, earning a death glare in response.

"If you'd get off your lazy and help, I'd be done earlier. But since I'm always the only one to remember everything we need to take along..."

Henry looked up at his boyfriend and could see the older thought the same he was thinking in that very moment. Unlike Zhou Mi, Henry wasn't too shy to say it out loud, "Isn't it that way in every family? The men and children complain while the mothers get ready last because they are the ones who have to remember everything?"

"Exactly! So if you're aware of that, start some thinking as well! And now let's go." Even though her voice was stern, Henry knew Ayley wasn't upset with them, so he beamed and nodded. They all left the house and went to the car. The five of them got inside and Ryeowook and Henry urged William to turn up the volume of the radio. Once a song came on that both of them knew, they started to sing along like they always had, but this time the youngest realized what a beautiful voice his best friend had. Glancing at his boyfriend, he could see the older was assessing the exact same thing, just that he seemed to judge it from a more professional stand.

Only a few cars were parked outside the church when they arrived. Ryeowook and Henry got out right away and were off before the other three could follow. Henry was way too excited to meet everyone again.

Entering the still comparably new building, the young man looked around. Two elderly couples were sitting near the front and a family of four was sitting halfway through the isle. In the very front, by the altar, stood a man in a black suit with his back facing the long benches. Henry and Ryeowook walked up to them, and right before they arrived, the slightly older male took a step forward to be a little in front of his best friend. "Pastor Jonathan?"

After another moment, said man turned around. "Yes?" he asked and his eyes went from Ryeowook to Henry. His expression changed from kindness to surprise, then confusion, and finally delight. "Henry!"

"Pastor Jonathan," the young man replied with a beam and, when the older held out his arms, he stepped in for a brief but tight hug.

"What a pleasure to see you again!"

Henry nodded. "You, too!"

"Did you come back? Where are your parents?"

The younger shook his head. "It's just me and my boyfriend here. I've returned for a small visit, I'll leave again next Friday."

"That's a shame. You look so thin..." The pastor took his appearance in for a moment before he seemed to realize something else. "Your boyfriend?" he asked curiously.

Henry nodded brightly again and turned around to find Zhou Mi, Ayley, and William walking down the isle as well. He waited for a moment until they were with them, then he took Zhou Mi's hand. "Pastor, may I introduce my boyfriend Zhou Mi to you?"

"Hello, sir," Zhou Mi replied a little stiffly and bowed lightly, seemingly realizing half-way that he wasn't in Korea anymore.

Pastor Jonathan held out a hand and smiled warmly. "Hello Zhou Mi. Welcome in Orangeville."

"Thank you, sir," the Chinese man replied and hesitantly shook the hand he was offered. His eyes met Henry's for a moment and the younger could see insecurity and irrtation in them.. To try and ease his worries, Henry smiled warmly at his boyfriend and then continued to chat with Pastor Jonathan, giving him a brief summary of the years he had spent away from Canada. The pastor asked a few more questions to both Henry and Zhou Mi until time was up.

"Alright, boys, I have to start the service now. Zhou Mi, if you have any troubles understanding, feel free to ask Henry about it so he can translate. If I'm going too fast, please don't be shy and raise your hand. I want everyone to be able to enjoy this service and I don't want anyone to go out of this place with questions about what they heard today. So feel free to approach me afterwards if anything is still unclear for you, okay?" he offered with a warm smile and the Chinese man nodded. "Good. Please go ahead and sit down then." Henry nodded and happily turned around, still holding Zhou Mi's hand as he walked to a row still far in the front where Ryeowook and his parents already sat, now joined by Jongwoon. On the way, he waved to a couple of people he knew and it was only thanks to Zhou Mi not letting him stop or wander off that he didn't start chatting with all of those people.

Even though Henry still had to translate a lot, especially bible passages, Pastor Jonathan's service. It was refreshing for him to see again how well the pastor managed to entertain everyone and to make them think about what he said. He missed those services that never held any boredom, services that caught an elderly's attention as much as a child's. Just like Henry remembered, the pastor also mentioned issues that were part of everyone's everyday life and offered solutions, leaning on the bible to explain them. On that particular day, the service was about forgiveness and Henry felt like he still had so much to learn. And so little time to do so...

After the service, Henry waited for a quiet moment until he approached the pastor. "Pastor Jonathan?" he asked quietly.

The middle-aged man looked up and smiled warmly. "What is it, Henry?"

"I... I wanted to ask if there's a chance I could talk to you at some point during my stay?" He asked. "Just you?" he added and glanced around to emphasize he didn't want anyone else to be around.

The pastor's expression became serious. He looked around for a moment as well, then he nodded. "Of course. I have a new phone number, have Ryeowook give it to you, alright? You can give me a call anytime. Leave a message if I can't answer the phone right away, I'll call you back then as soon as possible."

Henry flashed the other a grateful smile. "Thank you." He bowed lightly out of habit. "I'll call you one of these days then." He waved lightly and then turned to walk with the other five again. They had already waited for him.

"I knew you liked talking, but I never knew you could chat with people that much," Zhou Mi muttered and shook his head, causing Ryeowook to burst out laughing.

"Yah!" Henry complained. "It's not fair of you to tease me just because I like socializing!"

Jongwoon grinned. "Oh, I bet your boyfriend is just jealous because you give them so much attention and not him."

"Yah!!!" Henry instantly called out.

Zhou Mi needed a little longer to fully understand what the other male had said. "I am not!" he instantly protested, but Henry could see the Chinese male was a little too defense.

The returnee instantly became insecure. "Are you sure?" Glancing at the others, he quickly switched back to Korean, not wanting Zhou Mi to have to bear his heart to the others as well. "I'm just over-excited... I'm sorry if I pay too much attention to the others. I don't mean to make you feel left out." He looked down at the ground bashfully, feeling bad all of a sudden.

An arm was wrapped around him and he was pulled against Zhou Mi's chest. "You're fine. I should have known about this. And remember, I too have schedules to attend, so I won't be able to give you as much attention as I probably should either," he mumbled softly in Korean as well and Henry knew those words were only ever meant for him to hear.

The latter shook his head, though. "For you, it was the condition to be able to accompany me. I am only here because of you. I should show more gratitude."

"Excuse me, gentlemen, but could you speak English again? We'd like to be part of whatever you're talking about," Ayley chimed in, but her tone wasn't scolding.

Henry shook his head and stepped away again, taking his boyfriend's hand in his own. "It's fine," he replied in English with a brave smile. "There's just something I kind of forgot. Let's go now, alright?"

The parents exchanged a meaningful look, then William shrugged. "So

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter