A Call And A Visit

One Day
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As a small warning: Things written in italics will mostly mean that they're being said in English in this chapter! And now enjoy reading~!

 

 

It was still completely dark when he woke up, but there were a thousand thoughts running through his mind that hindered him from going back to sleep like he should. Zhou Mi still had his arm wrapped around him, but somehow... he couldn't even really express what was bothering him but something just wasn't right.

He felt the urge to stand up, so he carefully loosened Zhou Mi's grip and got up. He walked towards the winodw in the older's apartment and looked out. Even the lights in downtown were turned off. So it had to be something between 4am and 5am.

Henry loved those moments. When it was completely silent, even in a city like Seoul where it almost never was quiet. But at night, when even the streetlights were turned off, it was a moment like that.

He turned around and looked at the sleeping creature for a moment. How can I possibly deserve him? Why doesn't he just turn away like everyone else did? Why does he love me back?

Thoughts like that were running through his mind without any answer he could tell himself, his heart, that it was true and that it was enough for him to believe in the luck he had now. But on the other hand, he didn't want to let go anymore. He had grown quite attached to the man who was still lying in his bed and who took care of him.

Henry turned back towards the window. A car was just passing the building on the empty street, it's headlights lighting the area around it. It was so lonely... in the dark... it reminded him of himself and his family when they arrived in Seoul. It had been just like that. He wondered if anyone had been watching them from high above as well?

He let his forehead lean against the cool glass so that the glass in front of his mouth became steamy from his breath. He closed his eyes.

That day, the decision would be made. Would he see Ryeowook once more? Once more before he died? Would he be able to tell him about all the wonderful things that had happened, would he maybe even be able to show him at least pictures of Zhou Mi? Would he be able to deal seeing him once more and knowing that their next goodbye held no chance of seeing each other again as long as they didn't use a webcam or something like that?

Would they even be as close as before? He knew he had changed a lot in some ways. He had become more mature due to his disease. He had learned to enjoy the last bit of time he still had left. He was even better at playing the violin than he had been in Canada.

In other ways he was still the same. He loved to eat 'their meal', which wasn't even something too special in theory. He still cried while watching Philadelphia. He could still be as childish.

And he started to miss him as much as he had during his first week in South Korea.

Wookie... where are you? What are you doing right now? Are you at your job? Are you having fun? Or are you sad? What about that guy you wrote about in your letter? Is he still important to you? Or has the letter been written too long ago and your crush has disappeared?

He sighed. Why couldn't he have some answers at least?

Please, Ayley! I haven't found a way. Have you found one?

Suddenly something warm was around him, behind him. Something that almost made him jump before he completely relaxed into it.

"Why are you awake?" Zhou Mi murmured, his voice sounding as if he was still half asleep.

"I'm sorry if I woke you up. I just couldn't seem to go back to sleep," Henry answered quietly.

"No, it's okay. But it's warmer there."

"You can go back. You don't need to stay up."

"I know."

Henry smiled as Zhou Mi remained in his position behind him. He leaned against the latter while his eyes remained on the street below him. It was so dark. There was no sound. But above them, faintly visible, were the stars. Stars that had been much bigger and way more when he had been in Canada. "I miss it," he whispered.

"What?"

"Canada. Ryeowook. Ayley. My home. The nature. The sky. The sun. The peace. The calmness. My former friends. Everything."

"Don't be sad."

"I never said I am sad, did I?" He turned his head far enough that he could face Zhou Mi a bit better. "Here I have you. My parents. Sungmin. Eunhyuk. Donghae. Taemin. The company. Butterfly." He looked back out. "That I miss Canada... I never really said goodbye. That I knew I would leave Canada for South Korea never meant I was ready to say goodbye. But now I guess I am. I want to go back one last time. See my school. See Ayley. Wookie. My former home. Walk the streets I've walked for years. Be welcomed back in a house that has been my second home since I was little. Speak the language that can never be replaced by Korean. See the area I have lived in." Now Henry turned back again to face Zhou Mi, though this time he turned far enough so that his lips almost brushed against the latter's when he added, "But this time if I can go, I will go to say goodbye and not to stay." Then he softly kissed his boyfriend who responded to the kiss. He could almost taste that the older was still tired but he also knew that he had paid attention to everything he had said.

He turned around in the embrace and circled his arms around Zhou Mi's neck.

The kiss lasted longer than most of the former ones they had shared, but eventually it ended as well.

"I promise you that you will be able to fly to Canada," Zhou Mi whispered. He seemed to be as awake as Henry felt by then.

The younger boy shook his head and smiled at the taller, though his smile was one filled with sadness. "Don't promise something you can't keep. I wouldn't want you to spend all of your money on that. I couldn't give you anything back."

"Your happiness would be enough for me."

He shook his head again. "Let's just talk about this in the morning."

Zhou Mi nodded and led him back to the bed. They climbed underneath the warm and soft covers again and Henry snuggled close against his boyfriend. He liked the warmth and the slightly tingling feeling that came along with that position.

He felt a lot calmer now and in a matter of minutes, he was fully asleep again.

 

When he woke up, the first thing he noticed was Zhou Mi's quiet voice which came from the other room.

Then that he was alone in the bed.

Then that he was a bit offeneded because of that.

Then that it smelled deliciously like breakfast.

And when he opened his eyes, he noticed a light from the other side of the door.

And no Zhou Mi.

He pouted. Why had he stood up before he had even woken up!? That wasn't fair!

Henry sat up and stretched , yawning at the same time. Then he got up, his steps a bit insecure at first due to the fact that he was still sleepy. He opened the door to the living room a little bit and squinted his eyes shut as bright light flooded in from the next room. He quickly diverted his eyes and looked to the side, slowly trying to adjust his eyes to the brightness, then he looked back out. No one seemed to be there, at least not as far as he could see, so he dared to open the door a little bit wider and peek out of the older man's bedroom. There was still no one visible, but just as he thought that, Zhou Mi came in from the kitchen. When the latter's eyes landed on him, he smiled. "Good morning, Henry!"

The younger cleared his throat once. "G-good morning, Zhou Mi." He was a little bit irritated by the bright man, not used to the whole kind of situation, but Zhou Mi's smile was warm as he came closer and then reached one hand out for him.

"C'mon, come out of the bedroom!" Henry hadn't even noticed he was still half hidden by the door until the older one had said it. So when he noticed, he opened the door completely and took the other's offered hand. Zhou Mi smiled and pulled him closer, kissed him softly. Henry went completely stiff underneath that kiss, not having expected it the slightest bit, but Zhou Mi just smiled and nudged him gently. "C'mon, ease up!"

"A-ah, sorry."

He was pulled into a hug and slowly responded to it.

"Is all of this really new to you?" Henry nodded. "What about that friend, Ryeowook?"

"Wookie? His house has been like..." His eyes widened. "Zh-Zhou Mi, I have to call today!"

"Hey, calm down. First tell me what his house has been for you."

"I-it's been my second home. We've had more sleepovers than sleeping alone near the time when I moved. But... what if Ayley hasn't found a possibility to let me go abroad either?" He looked down, the thought making him sad again. "Please, can I call them?"

"Of course you can."

"Thank you."

Zhou Mi led him to the sofa and they sat down, then Henry was handed the phone. He simply stared at it for seconds before he slowly started to dial Ryeowook's number. But even when he had finished dialing, he couldn't make himself call. He just stared at the receiver.

"Just do it, okay? After all, you still want to talk to your best friend, don't you?"

Henry looked up. "Yes, I do. But when I talk to him, it means I can't surprise him by coming over0," he said with a sad smile, grabbed Zhou Mi's hand tightly and then he finally pressed the green button. With every ringing sound he could hear, Henry got more nervous.

"Hello?" a female voice answered after a while.

"H-hello, Ayley," Henry answered and bit his lip.

"Henry, my dear, is that you?"

"Yes, it is."

"It's good to hear from you again!" He could practically see Ryeowook's mother smiling. "But I don't want to waste my money talking about nonesense right now, did you find a way to come over?"

Henry lowered his head. This had been the question he'd been afraid of. "No, I haven't. Like I told you, most of the money my parents gain has to be given for surgeries and other stuff because of my cancer."

A short break followed, then the woman sighed. "That's really bad. I would have loved to see you two together again. But we don't really have enough money to simply let one of you cross the ocean, just like that. I have to admit that I even thought about asking for donations, but that would be nonesense."

Henry nodded even though he knew Ayley wasn't able to see it. So he wouldn't be able to see Ryeowook ever again...

He felt how Zhou Mi tightened his grip and when he looked up, the older gave him a comforting look. He smiled back sadly. "I guess

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter