Chapter Four

Unwritten

The next day, Kyungsoo was sitting on a bench with earbuds playing music in his ears. On his thighs sat the very much abandoned Art notebook he was originally supposed to bring to class. His teacher never found use for them, so it was completely empty. Well, not anymore. Now it was filled with five pages of scratched out opening sentences for his book.

He just couldn’t seem to get his idea on paper. It didn’t work anywhere else but outside his head. He wasn’t even that proud of his idea anymore. But he would have to deal with it. He had already sent the idea to Yunho and had gotten his approval.

It was lunch time, and since lunch was so long, many people are out and about. There was still half an hour before their next class. The basketball court a few feet away was populated with many boys, roughly shoving the person with the ball among other things.

Next to him, however, was his phone. He had been to Kai’s high school (there was really only one high school in the area, unless he transferred) and he knew that they had no cell phone laws outside of the classrooms. Kai could text him right now, couldn’t he?!

What was taking him so long?

Of course, he said after school, and that was four hours away. Kyungsoo just had to be patient. He looked back at his notebook, thinking a little more, unable to really come up with anything.

He’d blown through everything: dialogue, descriptions, foreshadowing, he just couldn’t get it right. And it had to be perfect. Even if the idea wasn’t great, it could be fixed just fine with a great story line. He tapped his pen to his chin, trying to think, every few minutes checking his phone for the time and if Kai had texted.

Nothing.

Suddenly, he heard a strong, “Watch out!” Kyungsoo looked up just in time to see a basketball hurdling straight towards him. When it hit, there was only pain above his eye as he fell back. He expected ground, but instead found strong arms gripping his torso as he was helped back onto the bench. He groaned quietly, and rubbed where he had been hit.

The basketball flew over his head, obviously thrown by the person who had helped him up. He turned around, and almost fell back the other way when he noticed who it was. Kai smirked at him. “Surprised? You’re lucky I didn’t come any later, or else you could’ve busted your head.”

“W-What are you—“ Kyungsoo started, but was cut off.

“I finished my lunch and got bored. You’re only, like, a mile away. It’s an easy walk. And besides, it wasn’t hard to find where you go to school. The other college is too far away from the library.” He joined Kyungsoo on the bench.

Kyungsoo shut his notebook and shoved it in his bag, taking the earbud closest to Kai out. “I was expecting a text, not a person,” he laughed, his head still throbbing painfully.

Kai’s eyes stared at it. “That’s going to bruise, you know. That ball hit you hard.” Kai lifted his hand to touch the wound, in which Kyungsoo flinched when Kai’s cold thumb was pressed to it. “Yup, totally going to bruise.”

Kyungsoo shrugged. “I’ve been through worse.”

Kai raised an eyebrow. “Oh?”

“I’ve broken a leg, a nose, got the hell scratched out of me by my friend’s cat, got a concussion from being slammed against a wall too hard,” Kyungsoo sighed. “I’ve had my fair share of abuse.”

“Ah, well. When does your lunch end?” Kai asked.

“In about twenty minutes. Why do you ask?”

“That’s when mine ends, too. I should probably head back so I’m not late to class. How about I text you after school, and we can meet up somewhere?” Kai asked with a jutted bottom lip. Not a pout, but a pondering look.

“That sounds good. Now go before you get a punishment because of me,” Kyungsoo laughed, shoving Kai’s arm. He grinned and hopped off the bench, waving goodbye. Kyungsoo packed everything up and walked inside the cool building that was his college. He walked through the atrium and leaned against a wall, checking the time. He still had a little.

Barely anyone was walking around, only a couple others. Until he heard a little yelp from behind the wall he was leaning against. Thinking the worst, he turned around, but only found a giggling Baekhyun with Chanyeol back-hugging (more like tackling) him from behind.

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. “Can you guys stand an hour away from each other?”

Both shook their heads in unison, and Kyungsoo just rolled his eyes once more. He went upstairs to his locker, which held his array of books, before grabbing one and walking to his next class. He silenced his phone, which had been put at max volume just in case, and strolled into his 6th period.

~*~

It was around four when his phone buzzed, a message from an unknown number. He had lost the paper of Kai’s number, so he didn’t get to enter it in. He was sitting on the couch of his house, fondling with his house slippers while the TV played some children’s show he found himself interested in.

What was happening to him?

He picked up the phone and opened the flashing envelope on his screen.

From: Unknown Number

Annyeong, it’s Kai ^^

Kyungsoo smiled and sent a quick greeting back before adding Kai to his contacts. Subconsciously, he added that little heart you make with a less than sign and the number three at the end of his name. Hopefully Kai never saw that anytime soon.

In only a minute, his phone buzzed once more, and he opened the envelope once more.

From: Kai <3

So, what do you want to do tonight? If you want to do something, of course~

Kyungsoo sat there for a second, unsure of what to say. He finally settled on sending an “I don’t know”, hoping Kai at least had some ideas of where to go.

His next message took a little longer, but it came in only a couple minutes.

From: Kai <3

You know, we could always go bowling. I’m not very good, but it’d still be fun!

Kyungsoo wasn’t sure of the last time he went bowling. All he knew was that it had been years. Maybe even since middle school had he gone. They sent a time to meet there, and Kai agreed to pay, which made Kyungsoo’s insides flare up.

Now, what to do while he waited…

There was only three hours between now and then, so he had a lot of time to get ready. He decided to pull up Microsoft Word and try to start the story. He had finally found a starting sentence he really liked, and he began typing. He got five pages written, and he read them over, correcting his spelling. It made Yunho’s life easier.

He was happy with it so far. This was good.

He would have this done in no time.

There was about an hour until it was 7 and he had to be with Kai at the bowling alley. He quickly scarfed down “dinner” (an instant ramen packet), took a quick shower, and got dressed casually, in a red polo and blue jeans. Seemed easy enough. By the time he was done cleaning up, he had fifteen minutes to get to the alley.

He couldn’t help but let a giggle out.

His first true date.

~*~

“So, we can both agree we at bowling, right?”

Kyungsoo laughed at Kai as he returned to his seat, his ball rolling from the dispenser, back from yet another trip to the gutter. Neither Kai or Kyungsoo were doing very well, but they were having a lot of fun laughing at each other’s fails.

It was Kyungsoo’s turn, so he walked up there and picked up his ball, sticking his fingers in the three holes and staring at the pins intently before tossing it down the lane. It stuck on long enough to hit a pin.

The score was now 13 to 8, Kyungsoo leading.

They really at this.

Kai ordered them drinks from the restaurant when they finally finished the only game. Kyungsoo managed to get 27 points, while Kai stayed at 8. He was pouting. “You’re a better bowler than me, Kyungsoo hyung.”

“And you’re cute when you’re sad,” Kyungsoo giggled, taking a sip of his coke and looking away from the man on his left. Kai switched his soda from his right hand to his left, slowly inching his now empty hand to Kyungsoo’s.

Kyungsoo looked down when he felt fingers intertwine with his. Kai didn’t say anything of it, neither did Kyungsoo, but both enjoyed it. Kai’s hands were warm, and Kyungsoo felt that his fit really good in his hands. He was over thinking this, but he didn’t really care at the moment.

They talked a little more before standing up and going outside, ready to leave, their hands not leaving each other. They stopped in the space between both of their cars, finally releasing hands. Kai smirked. “I’ll see if I can kidnap you tomorrow and we can do something,” he joked.

“You don’t know where I live,” Kyungsoo fought back, sticking his tongue out and crossing his arms.

“I can sure as hell find out,” Kai laughed. “I’ll text you tomorrow, hyung.”

The two separated, and when Kyungsoo was buckled in his car, Kai driving out of sight, he grinned and let out an un-human noise. He was so in love.

And at this point, Kai could probably notice.

~*~

Aaaaiish. ing AFF crashed when I wanted to post this. e.e

Anyway, sorry this took a while to write. I've been slacking off lately. >.< Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to read a book that I have to finish by Sunday that I'm not even halfway done with yet. ._.

Oh, before I forget! I don't know if you guys are ELFs, or just Exotics, or you ditched SJ for EXO, I don't know your story. But I'm most likely going to start writing a KyuMin (not my OTP, but Sungmin's screwing me up lately. -.-) soon, so if you like SJ, be on the lookout for that. :P

Expect the next update on Monday, and school's coming up so updates will be fewer. :L

Anyways, bai bai! I love me some comments! :3