Chapter Seventeen

Unwritten

The next evening, Kyungsoo sat down to write. Surprisingly, even though his mind was still filled with anxiety and worry, he managed to get two chapters done by sitting down and focusing, his realizing idea filled mind soon put at ease. He sighed with relief; at least it was getting somewhere.

Leaning back in his chair with a loud creak, Kyungsoo fidgeted with his hands and picked at the skin surrounding his finger nails. He wasn’t sure what to do about the exam thing; the best he could do was hope that it was enough to pass.

Just in time, his phone dinged. Kyungsoo picked his phone up and opened it.

1 New Message

Kyungsoo opened it, unsure of who it was.

From: Jongdae

Guess what?

Kyungsoo typed the one-word question back and waited for a reply, which came in seconds.

From: Jongdae

You remember that guy at the coffee shop a long time ago? Minseok? Well, we’ve been talking for a while, and he just asked me out.

Kyungsoo couldn’t help the big smile finding the way to his face. He still wasn’t quite sure how to react, since the news seemed so sudden, so out of nowhere. Kyungsoo wasn’t even sure they had been talking. Finally, he texted back his reply.

To: Jongdae

Congrats, Jongdae. Now everyone’s got a boyfriend. :D

Setting the phone down, Kyungsoo closed his laptop’s lid and walked to his bedroom with his phone now gripped tightly in his hand. He was more than relieved that Jongdae was finally satisfied; now he didn’t have that continuing ache in his chest that came with the guilt of the situation.

He hadn’t realized how great it felt to be without it.

Their conversation continued until early in the morning, when Kyungsoo finally fell asleep waiting for a final response, his phone slipping out of his hand. He hadn’t talked with Jongdae like that since he had left months ago.

It felt different.

Like there was a different air between them.

Kyungsoo didn’t want to change a thing.

Whatever was going on, he liked it.

~*~

“You should be wearing a jacket.”

“Why? It’s not that cold.”

“You’re in a wife beater and it’s 40 degrees out here.”

Kai smiled and squeezed Kyungsoo’s hand. “Sorry. I didn’t think it would get this cold.”

The two were walking around Kyungsoo’s university, which was deserted except for the dorm livers, as it was a Saturday afternoon. They’d been walking around since they decided they needed to get out of Kyungsoo’s apartment. Kyungsoo sighed. “I don’t know what I’m going to do with you.”

A cheeky smile made its way to his face. “You love me just like I am.”

“Shut up, Jongin.”

Kai quickly kissed Kyungsoo’s cheek, making him look over at him with a smile. Kai smirked. “Told you.”

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes, and there was a comfortable silence until Kai pointed at something with the hand that wasn’t in his lover’s. Kyungsoo followed his finger, and his eyes landed on the track. Oh no. “I know how to warm up! We race.”

“No.”

Kai frowned. “Please, baby?”

Kyungsoo shook his head. “I can’t run. I look stupid.”

However, Kai ignored his comment and walked through the entrance in the barbed fence surrounding the track. Kyungsoo was more or less dragged, since he didn’t take his hand away.

“Come on, Kai, we’re going to get in trouble. It says no trespassing.”

“It’s a track on a deserted college campus.”

“There’s cameras!”

“No there isn’t.”

Kyungsoo looked around suspiciously, searching. Kai was right; there was no camera in sight. He just didn’t want to admit it. “Fine, let’s go. This is still a bad idea, though.”

“Why? Are you scared I’ll beat you?” Kai asked with a sly smile.

“No,” Kyungsoo blurted out, sticking out his chest a little bit. Kai laughed and gripped Kyungsoo’s hand tightly, jogging with him on the field to the track. It was coated with black gravel, and there were lines indicating where certain races started and ended.

Kai laughed. “So I was actually on the track team, and you haven’t exercised in years. Why do you even have confidence?” he teased, poking Kyungsoo in the tummy, making him grab Kai’s finger and bite it.

“Ow!”

“Be nice to your hyung!” Kyungsoo whimpered with a pout. “And that’s a lie. I was in marching band.”

Kai laughed. “What did you play?”

“Trombone.”

“What, that one with the slide that you can knock people over by hitting them in the back of the head with it?” Kai mused, crossing his arms.

“Yeah. I really wish I had it right now,” Kyungsoo muttered.

“What was that?”

“Nothing.”

“That wasn’t very nice.”

“Neither are you.”

Kai smiled. “Whatever. Let’s just do this.”

Kyungsoo reluctantly took his sweatshirt off and found the startling line on the track and lined up next to Kai. “Okay. One lap around the track. The winner gets to do whatever he wants to the loser. And I mean anything,” Kai explained with a naughty smirk.

Kyungsoo felt his face turn pink. Kai laughed at him.

“Ready… set… go!”

At once, Kyungsoo felt his lungs constrict as he fought to keep up with Kai. This was still a horrible idea in his eyes. Kai had gotten a lead almost instantly, and he looked like he was honestly trying. Wind wizzed past Kyungsoo’s ears, making it uncomfortable for him to run.

He stopped halfway.

Kai noticed this, and stopped as well. “Give up?”

Kyungsoo didn’t answer. Kai was only three quarters done and wasn’t even walking. There was a field between the track, and if Kyungsoo was right, he could get to the finish line before Kai if he sprinted.

Then, he would be in charge for a change.

Suddenly, he took off across the field, making Kai yell “YAH!” and continue running. Kyungsoo, however, beat him by a couple seconds, making him fall to the ground and yell in happiness. “I’m in charge of you!” Kyungsoo teased.

“Yeah, whatever,” Kai laughed. “Good job, hyung.”

He stuck his hand out, and Kyungsoo grabbed it, pulling himself up. “Thanks, brat.”

They laughed, but soon it was cut off.

“YAH! WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU’RE DOING?”

Immediately, both boys froze as their heads turned to the sound of the voice. Kyungsoo recognized the man who was stomping towards them as the dean. Kyungsoo quickly threw his sweatshirt over himself and made his way down, Kai following close behind.

“Can’t you see the sign? It says no tre—Kyungsoo?” His tone changed immediately as soon as Kyungsoo’s face became legible to the dean, catching him off guard. He nodded and bowed deeply.

“I’m very sorry, sir, it was stupid.”

“You are allowed to be here, but I don’t recognize this young man. Does he go here?” the dean asked, a frown on his features. Kyungsoo gulped and looked back at Kai, who was standing there, silent and stiff.

“Uh, no, sir. He’s a senior at the high school.”

The dean sighed. “There’s not much I can do to punish since it’s such a small ordeal. I’m sorry to bother. But, Kyungsoo, I need to speak to you. Preferably alone,” he hinted, looking back at Kai. Kyungsoo reached behind him, keeping it hidden from the dean, and Kai held his hand.

“Jongin has every right to listen, too,” Kyungsoo defended. He was more concerned for Kai than about what the dean wished to talk to him about.

The dean looked displeased. “Fine. Come with me to my office.”

The two followed the dean to his office, keeping a close distance behind him. Kai wrapped his arms around him and whimpered so softly that the dean couldn’t hear. Kyungsoo noticed the huge goosebumps lining his arms and sighed, taking his sweatshirt off and giving it to Kai. He mouthed a thank you and slipped it on, the sleeves longer than his arms.

When they got to his office, Kai and Kyungsoo stood next to the door, rather than taking a seat. The dean intertwined his fingers on the chocolate brown desk, raising an eyebrow. “I had planned to pull you out of class on Monday to tell you this, but I decided, since you’re here, I should tell you now. Your exam scores came in.”

Kyungsoo nodded slowly.

The dean hesitated. “Would you like to see them, or would you rather that I tell you bluntly?” he asked quietly, sounding concerned. Kyungsoo already knew what was going on, and he felt butterflies fill his stomach, making him want to retch.

“Just tell me, sir. Please.”

“I’m sorry to tell you this, but you failed four of your seven exams.”

It felt like someone had just thrown a pile of bricks at Kyungsoo’s stomach. Those countless hours spent studying… ruined. All because of a bottle of Soju. His mouth felt dry, a lump growing in his throat, making it hard to speak. “C-Can I know my scores?”

The dean nodded, looking sympathetic, as he picked up a light pink paper from the stack on his desk and put on reading glasses. “You had commended scores on the last three tests you took, but the first four were all in the 60’s range. You failed the fourth by one point, Mr. Do.”

Kyungsoo was in such a shock that he felt his knees shake. Kai noticed this and gripped his hand to keep him steady. “So… w-what does this mean for me?” He couldn’t keep his voice steady.

The dean put the paper down, taking his glasses off of his face and intertwining his fingers once more. “Well, it means a lot. I’m sure you know the consequences of failing the majority.” When Kyungsoo nodded, the dean continued. “So I’m so very sorry to say this, but—“

“You’re kicking me out?” Kyungsoo finished for him.

The dean sighed. “To sum it up, yes. You are no longer allowed to return as a student to this school as long as you are academic probation. That is two years, Mr. Do. I’m very sorry.”

“B-But you can’t do this. I’m one of your best students, I haven’t been in trouble since my second year of high school!” he cried, his dreams slowly crushing beneath his feet. “Please! I’ll work so hard to fix this!”

“I can’t allow you to do that, Mr. Do. It’s not in my regulations.”

“W-Why can’t I re-take the tests?” He was going hysterical now.

“Re-takes were yesterday, and they were only for those who were absent the day of the actual tests. I’ll give you a few hours to make sure all of your belongings are gone, but after that, you’re only allowed to come back as a visitor within the next two years. Not as a student,” the dean concluded.

Kyungsoo felt so sick with shock. His breaths got quicker than they should have, and when he saw his vision clouding up, he blinked to try to clear it. It didn’t work very well. “Kyungsoo?” Kai called, worried.

He looked up and bit his lip, trying to stop the continuing feeling of vomiting.

No, not in front of Kai.

Before Kyungsoo could even try to speak, everything went white and a sickening thud was heard.

~*~

I know you guys wanted him to pass, but, come on now. I had to add some drama.

Yay for ripping Kyungsoo's dreams to shreds~

At least XuiChen has arrived. :b

Please comment~ Thank you!