Chapter Twenty-Four

Unwritten

Kyungsoo had issues getting to sleep at night after that day. He was not only anxious for himself, but for his lover as well. Kai was on edge every single day after the auditions. The older couldn’t wait for the results; when he had signed up, he had been informed that it could anywhere from five days to a month to find out whether you made it or not.

Every minute ticked by horribly long.

Nine days after the audition, he still hadn’t heard anything. The mail had come, and there was still nothing addressed to him from S.M. Entertainment. As he flipped through his mail, his socked feet kicked up on the coffee table and the TV playing for noise, he groaned. “Nothing yet?!”

When Kyungsoo wanted, he was impatient.

He would never tell that to Kai, though. For obvious reasons.

Kyungsoo threw the rest of his mail—bills, mostly—on the coffee table and turned the television off. The phone, having been neglected at his side since he had sat down, was picked up, pressed on until Kai’s contact, a smiling face staring back at him, was phoned.

It took three rings. “Yes, baby?”

“Have you gotten your letter yet?” he asked quietly. This was becoming routine.

Kai, however, sighed. “No, not yet. You?”

“Not a thing.”

“They said it could take up to a month at max, so we might be waiting a while, Kyungsoo. There were lots of people there,” he reminded Kyungsoo, sounding a lot more calm than he should.

This was the one crying, after all.

“How are you so relaxed? I’m up to my knees in anxiety and you sound like someone slipped some sedatives into your coffee this morning,” Kyungsoo said, crossing his arm not holding the phone on his chest.

Kai laughed. “I don’t know, I watched Joonmyun hyung wait so long for his, and everyday he screamed at the mailman until he got it. It’s not worth it when you see someone go through that, even though he did get in, you know?”

Kyungsoo shrugged, though Kai couldn’t see. “True. Want to come over?”

“I can’t, baby. I’m sorry. I have a lot of homework to do, and hyung won’t let me see you or Sehun until it’s done. Tomorrow, though,” Kai promised. “You’ll be fine, right?”

A small laugh came out of Kyungsoo’s mouth. “You act like I’m a three year old that can’t be left alone because he goes marker happy on the walls.”

Kyungsoo was sure Kai had rolled his eyes on the other end. “You never know. Bye, baby. I love you!”

“I love you too,” Kyungsoo called before he hung up the phone, setting it down and picking up his laptop. He wrote in silence, almost finished with the second to last chapter, for a full hour before his phone rang out again. This time, it was from a text message from Chanyeol.

Kyungsoo picked up his phone and the message was viewed.

The question got popped.

A sudden wave of confusion broke through Kyungsoo’s brain as he answered back What?, hoping for some kind of explanation. He wasn’t sure what question he was exactly talking about, but he knew Chanyeol would say.

It didn’t take long for a new message to pop up, but this one was different. It wasn’t text; it was a picture.

Kyungsoo pulled up the member and was overwhelmed with everything to take in. He noticed first that Baekhyun had a new hair color, much lighter and more auburn than before. What he noticed second was that so did Chanyeol. Instead of his fiery red, his hair was now a chocolate brown.

And the third thing was there was something on Baekhyun’s hand, which he was holding up.

Kyungsoo gasped.

It was a ring.

“No way…”

He gasped as he texted Chanyeol back his response: You did not.

There was an answer immediately.

I did. He said yes, Soo!

Kyungsoo shook his head in disbelief, a grin growing on to his face. The high school sweethearts were finally going to make it official; it was kind of comforting. Unable to stand the waiting of texting, he quickly called Chanyeol.

There was an answer on the first ring. “Yes?”

“Tell me all about it.”

The deep voice chuckled. “Well, as you might have noticed, we both dyed our hair. He dyed his before mine, without consulting me, of course, so I replied ‘that’s new’, you know, because it was. So I felt like this would be perfect.”

Kyungsoo waited, the silence urging him to go on.

“So I told him to meet up at that ramen shop we all like a lot without telling him that I had dyed mine too. He had the same response, and since we had both gone behind each other’s backs to do it, I said, ‘surprises are great, huh?’ and got down on the knee in the parking lot. Pretty good, right?” Chanyeol explained excitedly.

“Very good. The hair was a good touch, too. Where is he?”

“Right across from me. I wasn’t going to go there just to propose,” Chanyeol laughed, and Kyungsoo could register some obnoxious slurping in the background. He rolled his eyes. Baekhyun was going to town on some noodles.

“Ah, congratulations. Am I the best man?”

“We have two, since they’re isn’t exactly a maid of honor in a two-man wedding,” Chanyeol teased. “Jongdae is Baekhyun’s, so that leaves you with me, my man.”

“Don’t tell Baekhyun, but I wanted to be yours anyway.”

“Yah!”

Kyungsoo’s eyes widened. “Am I on speaker?”

Chanyeol laughed rather sheepishly. “Yeah… about that…”

“Whatever. He has Jongdae, he’ll be fine.”

“He also has noodles… well, had.”

Kyungsoo laughed. “At least you have your boy. Mine won’t hang out with me for schoolwork.”

“Ouch.” Then Chanyeol decided to tease. “Ha, you’re dating a high schooler.”

“He’s a senior, shut up,” Kyungsoo whined.

Chanyeol laughed. “The three of us are going to play soccer in the park after lunch. Want to tag along, since your hubby’s learning how to subtract seven from twelve?” he mocked, making Kyungsoo irritated, even though he knew he was kidding.

“Yeah, yeah. But sure, I’ll go. Which one?”

“North Park.”

Kyungsoo stiffened; that was where he had played soccer with Kai and Sehun some time ago. Deciding to go, anyway, he nodded. “Sure, I’ll be there.”

“We’re leaving the restaurant in about ten minutes.”

“I can wait.”

“Great. See you there.”

The two hung up, and Kyungsoo sighed as he slipped on tennis shoes and sweatpants over his boxers. It was cold outside, but sunny, so once Kyungsoo had put on a sweatshirt, he slipped on Kai’s hat and put his fingers over his necklace gently.

In his presence or not, Kai was always with him.

There was a smile on his face as he walked out of his house to the car.

~*~

Kyungsoo laughed as he kicked the ball right out of Chanyeol’s possession, sprinting to the other goal with all of his might and shooting it right over Baekhyun’s head. “Score!” he shouted, laughing as Jongdae ran up to give him a high five. The score was now two to five, Kyungsoo’s “team” in the lead.

“Bacon!” Chanyeol whined. That was his pet name for Baekhyun.

“I’m sorry, it was too fast!” Baekhyun defended with a pout, crossing his arms. Chanyeol sighed, probably deciding not to anger his new fiancée to death, and wrapped his arms around Baekhyun until he put his arms down and accepted the hug.

Kyungsoo shoved his finger in his mouth and made a gag noise.

Chanyeol rolled his eyes and started the game unfairly, sprinting right past Jongdae, who had been by his side. Make that score three to five.

“That was unfair!” Jongdae cried.

“Yeah!”

“Get over it; you’re still in the lead!” Baekhyun shouted from his goal, getting down lower and putting his hands out in preparation. Kyungsoo smirked, taking the ball from Chanyeol’s possession, only to have it taken back when Kyungsoo was tripped. He slipped to the prickly grass below him, his hat falling off in the process.

When he rolled over, a new face appeared over his head. And it wasn’t anyone he expected.

The new person stuck his hand out for him for grab, but Kyungsoo couldn’t wrap his head around it. “Either you were spying on me, or Chanyeol tripped me really hard and I fell on my head,” he tried to reason, but the person above him laughed.

“I came to play with Sehun because I finished my homework earlier than expected. Now stop staring and get up,” Kai ordered lightly. Kyungsoo grabbed his hat and his hand, being pulled to his feet by his lover and sticking his hat back on his head.

The teams turned from two to three, Sehun with the engaged couple and Kai with Kyungsoo’s team. Kai stepped up to the plate, quickly taking the ball from Sehun and passing it right to Jongdae, who scored the goal quickly.

The game continued for a while, and by the time it was done, Kyungsoo’s nose was bright red, everything was numb, and he was exhausted, but he hadn’t had that much fun in a while. Kai walked over to him, and grabbed his freezing hands, swinging them lightly. The other four were having their own conversation by the far goal.

“You’re freezing, baby,” Kai whispered, pulling Kyungsoo into a hug and wrapping his clothed arms around Kyungsoo’s body. He wasn’t sure how Kai wasn’t cold, but he didn’t ask. He just enjoyed the warmth.

Kai didn’t pull away before he chuckled. “You still have my hat?”

“I wear it all the time,” Kyungsoo explained with a smile. “Especially when you’re not around.”

“I’m here now.”

“You hadn’t told me you were going to go to the park when I left my house earlier.”

“I didn’t know I was going to go to the park until I finished,” Kai reminded him, and they walked to the other four boys, still holding each other as best as they could. Baekhyun was buried in Chanyeol, whose big dark brown jacket matched his hair, but Jongdae and Sehun didn’t look like they minded.

Sehun had Luhan, after all.

And Jongdae… well, he had Minseok for a while.

Eventually, everyone dispersed, and Kai informed Kyungsoo that Joonmyun hyung was making him go home right after they were done, so he couldn’t go visit his house. Kyungsoo assured him it was okay, kissed him goodbye, and left the park to his car.

~*~

As Kyungsoo stepped out of the car in front of his apartment complex, he went through his usual routine. It was already past three in the afternoon, meaning he got his mail already. Pulling a key from his back pocket, he unlocked the mailbox he shared with his three neighbors and pulled out his stack of mail.

He was flipping through it, not expecting much, until he found a certain letter.

It was addressed from S.M. Entertainment.

Immediately, Kyungsoo slammed the mailbox door shut and ran inside his house, not even bothering to remove his shoes before sitting down on the couch, throwing his other mail down, and holding the letter that held his future inside its folds.

His fingers trembling, Kyungsoo ripped open the envelope with his index finger, carefully sliding the piece of paper inside out of the envelope. The letter was folded into three, and the S.M. logo, colored pink, was shown on the back of the letter.

Kyungsoo cautiously opened the letter and read it to himself.

S.M. Entertainment Local Auditions – January 23rd, 2013

Results for: Do Kyungsoo, Male, 19, #1820

 

                 To the person receiving this letter:

                 Good afternoon, Mr. Do. We are happy to inform you that your audition on January 23rd, 2013, was very impressive. The judges especially loved your vocals. You are one of the few people with the chance to become an S.M. Entertainment trainee, and possibly debut as an idol!
                Out of the roughly two thousand people that showcased what they had to us, you were one of the twenty we picked to become a trainee. Congratulations! If you would like to accept this offer and train with us, please show up to the SMTOWN building at—or before—eight a.m. on Monday morning so we can get you registered.
                Thank you for auditioning! We hope to see big things from you!

                                                                                                               

                                                                                                                Sincerely,

                                                                                                                                S.M. Entertainment staff

 

Kyungsoo was in utter shock. He had been accepted out of two thousand? There were so many people that got rejected over him. He couldn’t believe his eyes. Sure, he had been confident, but upon seeing those numbers, he wasn’t so sure.

He had to be talented, though.

Otherwise they never would’ve given him the time of day.

Quickly grabbing his phone and dialing Kai’s number, his legs bouncing with excitement, Kyungsoo put the phone up to his ear and prayed silently that Kai would answer. His prayer was received. “Hello?”

“Kai! Have you checked your mail yet?”

He sounded confused. “No.”

“I got my audition results! I made it! I’m a trainee!”

He seemed more excited than I was. “Really?! Wow! I’m so proud of you, baby!”

“Go check your mailbox, you probably got yours, too.”

“Okay, hold on. I’ll be back soon.”

Kyungsoo could hear the phone be put down, and he waited rather impatiently for Kai to return. About two minutes had passed before he did. “I got it, Kyungsoo. Oh my god, I’m so scared.”

“It’ll be okay. Just rip it open and read it aloud to me, I want to hear what yours says.”

Kai mumbling something reluctantly, Kyungsoo could hear the envelope being torn and the letter being unfolded. Exhaling a deep breath, Kai shakily read aloud.

“To the person receiving this letter…”

~*~

Mwahahahaha! >:D Cliffhanger~

Hey guys! ^^ A bit of a long time no see, I know, but with Christmas break comes looots of distractions. :b

So I've got a couple of announcements. First, I have a new fic up! :D It's called Makeup Can't Hide His Ego, and it's a KaiXOC with a bit of Daehyun from B.A.P on the side. I'd appreciate it if you checked it out over here! ^^

Second order of business... I'm happy to announce that Unwritten is going to have a sequel! :) It's already in the process of being planned out, and I know all of you will love it. :D

That's all! Please comment~ Thank you! <3