Chapter Thirteen

Unwritten

“I guess, since I’m your boyfriend now, I can confess some things a little bit.”

Kyungsoo, who had been pouring the glass of wine for Kai, stopped. They were alone, sitting on the balcony of Joonmyun and Jaesu’s shared room. It was around one in the morning, and since both were bored with alcohol in the fridge, they decided to come out here and crack it open.

“Like what?” Kyungsoo asked once he had finished pouring, handing Kai’s glass to him and sipping at his own, watching the blood red liquid swirl in the glass.

“Just things. For starters, I lied to you. I don’t have very many friends. I’m not even close to a kingka. I only have one friend; his name is Sehun. He’s kind of an outcast too,” Kai sighed. “So, honestly, you’re one of my only true friends. That’s why I constantly text and call you.”

Kyungsoo smiled faintly. “That’s okay. I don’t have many friends, either.”

“And second… well, have you thought about my plan at all?” Kai asked quietly, gulping down his glass and pouring another one. Kyungsoo really hadn’t; it didn’t apply to him.

“Not really. Why?”

“I just think… that might be the best route for me to go. I’m not smart, not popular, not good at making friends, not a good singer, nothing. But I do know that I’m a good dancer. And I’d do anything to be in my brother’s footsteps right now; travelling around the world, doing what I love. But there are more things that I love, and one of those things is you. You top the list. And for you to join me would be amazing.”

“But, the thing is, Kai… I’m not dedicated. Academics mean more to me than dancing or singing. I mean, I could audition… but I doubt I’ll even make it,” Kyungsoo confessed, pouring another glass.

“Can you just audition with me soon? Please? I’d do anything for this,” Kai whimpered, a pout lining his plump lips, stained red from the wine the two were drinking.

“Fine. I’ll audition after exams.”

Kai grinned and rested his head on Kyungsoo’s shoulder, continuing to drink. They leaned against the door leading back into the house, sharing the wine in silence, downing the bottle to the last drop.

~*~

Kyungsoo woke up on Saturday morning wrapped in Kai’s arms. His hair was in disarray, and he was still dressed in the clothes he had come to his house in—jeans and a t-shirt. Kyungsoo moaned as he stretched, sliding his arms out from under Kai’s and trying to sit up, but failing.

This would be difficult.

“Yah. Jongin,” he hissed, shaking Kai’s shoulder. After a few seconds of rough shaking, Kai’s eyes slid open a crack, but quickly closed again. Kyungsoo groaned and, deciding it was his only hope of getting the hands off of his waist, kissed Kai’s closed eyelids.

They opened almost instantly. Kyungsoo grinned.

“Good morning, sleeping beauty. Now I’d appreciate if you could let me go,” Kyungsoo said lightly, gesturing to the arms around his waist. Kai, however, didn’t budge.

“No.”

“What?”

“No,” he whimpered. “You’re warm.”

Kyungsoo, deciding he wouldn’t get to move for a while, laid back down, examining the unfamiliar bedroom they had crashed in after a long night of drinking until three in the morning. Kyungsoo noticed the empty bottle sitting on the bedside table and the glasses still outside.

He couldn’t remember what had happened after they finished the bottle.

When Kai finally decided to get up, Kyungsoo leaped out of bed, fixing his hair and walking down the stairs to find his phone, which both he and Kai had left down here so they could drink in peace. Four missed calls from Chanyeol, one from Baekhyun, and a frantic text from Chanyeol.

“Where the hell are you?!”

Kyungsoo deleted all of his alerts, checking the time—10:47 am—and setting his phone back down. He heard footsteps loud against the stairs and Kai appeared, cleaned up and dressed in regular clothing. Kyungsoo sighed. “I should probably get home. I have to study.”

“Oh, come on, those tests aren’t for, what, another three weeks? Relax, you’ll be fine on them,” Kai reminded him, slinking his arms around Kyungsoo’s waist from the back.

“Unlike you, I can get kicked out and be put on academic probation if I don’t pass this stuff. You’ll just be held back,” Kyungsoo shot right back, wriggling out of Kai’s grip. “I love you, but I have to go. Tonight, though, we can be together. I just need a couple hours. Okay?”

Kai grumbled, but nodded.

Grinning, Kyungsoo hugged Kai and kissed his forehead before he left Kai’s house.

~*~

When lunch time came that Monday, Kyungsoo had tracked down Chanyeol, Baekhyun, and Jongdae at a McDonald’s—who knows why—downtown. Once he had ordered his food, all four squished into one booth and started to eat their greasy food.

Everyone needs some fat food every once in a while.

Chanyeol grinned at Kyungsoo when he sat down, but it was gone as soon as it appeared. “Okay, you told me you would tell me where you were all weekend at lunch. We’re waiting,” he reminded him, biting into his food.

Kyungsoo, who had suddenly lost his appetite, just fidgeted with his burger as he contemplated what he was about to do. He was scared of Chanyeol when it came to Kai, and Jongdae was sitting right next to him, which could cause complications. Baekhyun was the only one that would encourage it.

He liked Baekhyun best.

“I was with… someone,” he started.

Of course, Chanyeol got annoyed with how vague that answer was.

“Who is ‘someone’?” he questioned.

Kyungsoo felt butterflies well up in his stomach. He was being stupid; why was he so afraid of one of his best friends? He could say anything and not have to worry, right? But it was Jongdae he was worried about. “It was, um…” Kyungsoo swallowed. “Kai.”

Chanyeol’s eyes widened. Jongdae’s hardened. Baekhyun winked at him.

“Why do you spend so much time with that guy, anyway? He’s no good, and he’s younger than you…” Chanyeol muttered, taking a sip of his drink with the hand that wasn’t entwined with Baekhyun’s.

“That shouldn’t matter. I’m older than you,” Baekhyun reminded him with a disapproving frown on his face.

“Still, though. I don’t like that Kai kid either,” Jongdae piped in.

“Well, you’re going to have to learn to accept him, since he’s my boyfriend.”

You could hear a pin drop on the booth table.

“Really?! You’re dating him?” Baekhyun cried, sounding way happier than Chanyeol, who was glaring, looked. Kyungsoo wasn’t sure why he was so insistent on him and Jongdae dating. Maybe for the double dates.

“He asked me out on Thursday night.”

“And you kept it from us for four days?” Chanyeol asked, sounding both shocked and exasperated.

“Yeah.”

Jongdae, however, was completely silent. Baekhyun was asking questions when Jongdae grabbed his jacket and stormed out of the restaurant, completely silent. The other three sat there, and Kyungsoo instantly felt horrible.

He had had a crush on Jongdae for three years, and just as he was back…

“I’ll go,” Kyungsoo said quietly, standing up and leaving.

After Kyungsoo had left the fast food place, he scanned the sidewalk for any signs of his friend. Finally, he found him with his head down, hands shoved in his jacket’s pockets, halfway down the block. Immediately, Kyungsoo sprinted to catch up with him, the wind blowing at his face stinging his cheeks.

When Kyungsoo reached for Jongdae’s shoulder to stop him from walking more, Jongdae turned around, shoving the hand off of him. “Yah! Don’t touch me, you filthy bastard!”

“Jongdae, I’m sorry! I didn’t know you liked me as much as you do!” Kyungsoo cried, his voice squeaking due to the cold wind shoving itself down his throat.

Jongdae scoffed. “Are you kidding me?! We’ve liked each other for so long, and just as I’m about to ask you out, you go off and start dating another guy! I don’t understand why the concept of me liking you had to take so long to get through your thick skull. Maybe you just needed me to tell you.”

Kyungsoo was shocked. Jongdae was really upset, that was obvious.

Not having anything other to say, Kyungsoo looked down. “I’m sorry.”

“You’re sorry? Sorry doesn’t cut it anymore. It stops working when you break people’s hearts.”

Shocked, Kyungsoo’s head shot up. “Did I really break your heart?”

Tears welling in his beautiful eyes, Jongdae nodded. “Yes. You did. And I hope you’re happy, because I loved you so much. I was ready to dedicate my life to loving you, Kyungsoo, whether you realized it or not. But that’s not going to happen anymore.”

“Jongdae, I—“

“You thought you could just do this to me? And I was stupid enough to think you liked me back, too. You have no idea how much I’m kicking myself in the in my head right now,” Jongdae snarled, his nose turning a bright red from the cold.

“Please let me—“

“No. Shut up.” Without letting Kyungsoo finish any other thought, Jongdae was his heels, quickly walking away.

~*~

“Kyungsoo hyung, it’s okay. I’m here. Please stop crying.”

“I can’t,” Kyungsoo sobbed, clutching onto Kai’s almost soaked shirt. One thing you learned quick about Kyungsoo; he can’t handle relationships being broken on a bad note well. So that’s why he was curled up on his couch, Kai’s arms around him, sobbing until he couldn’t get another drop of fluid out of his eyes.

“He’ll forgive you. He can’t love you forever,” Kai whispered, kissing Kyungsoo on the head. “You’re taking this too hard. I need you to stop crying.”

Deciding this was enough, Kyungsoo stopped as best as he could, soon just hiccupping and sniffling. “I think I just lost one of my best friends because of you.”

“If you need to punch me in the face, I can take it,” Kai assured him, gesturing to the area of his face.

“No, I couldn’t do that. But… why did you have to show up in my life when Jongdae and I were so close to being what we are now?” Kyungsoo whispered, followed by a hiccup.

“I’m sorry, but I love you. I can leave while you work this out if you want…”

“No!” Kyungsoo blurted out, and Kai raised an eyebrow at him. “I mean… if there’s anyone I need more right now, it would be you.  So, please. Don’t go.”

Kai smiled, bemused. “Never.”

~*~

Can't say I'm very fond of this chapter. But I updated both of my fics today and therefore am very happy. :P

For those of you wondering where Minseok is: he's coming, be patient!

Please comment~ <3