Final

Unwritten

 

Kyungsoo heard nothing from Jongin for days. No phone calls were returned, no text messages were answered, and there was not a single visit to his apartment. He wasn’t even showing up to his classes at SM, but they had obviously been informed by Joonmyun, for they seemed okay with skipping his name on the roster. He didn’t want to be socialized with, obviously.

But Kyungsoo wanted nothing more to be there for him.

Joonmyun said he was taking it very hard. He hadn’t cried yet, bewilderingly, but he was rather depressed and did nothing but what kept him alive. Kyungsoo felt awful, like he should help, but he couldn’t. Some people just didn’t want to be seen when they lose someone.

It was the first day of March, five days after the news of Sehun’s passing, when Kyungsoo sat at his desk, his fingers dialing numbers at record speeds and his other hand occupying his growing hair—he needed a haircut before his big plans. If things went right, the conference would be tomorrow.

The conference being his reveal.

He had planned to give a brief introduction, answer questions, and let some people get their own copies of the books signed before the author went into oblivion for a few years before his debut. He couldn’t mention that, though. They’d just have to figure it out.

Seconds after he hung up with the place holding the conference to schedule times, his phone buzzed from his lap, and ID on the top reading “Chanyeol and his ”. He smirked and answered the call. “Yes?”

“Is it true?”

There was only one thing he could be referring to; it was already news everywhere. “Yeah.”

“That’s awesome. I think it’s great that you’re coming out before you stop writing, since it seems like everyone and their mother reads your books.” Chanyeol knew about everything, from the conference to Kyungsoo’s future, as well as Baekhyun and Jongdae.

“Yeah, thanks.” He smiled as he continued. “So, have you two decided on a date for the wedding ceremony yet?” he asked innocently, aware that they were planning.

“December 14th. It’s going to be on a Saturday,” Chanyeol explained. “Baekhyun’s favorite month is December, and I think having favorite months is a little weird, so we just went with his,” he finished with a small chuckle. “Still my best man?”

“Sure am,” Kyungsoo laughed. “It’s so weird that you guys are getting married.”

Chanyeol sounded skeptical. “How come?”

“It still feels like the last week of eighth grade, when you asked him out,” Kyungsoo teased. “You wouldn’t stop talking about him for weeks, Chan. You were hopeless.”

“And?”

“You haven’t changed a bit.”

“Yah! You’re just as bad with that Jongin kid!”

Kyungsoo’s face immediately turned sour at the mention of his MIA boyfriend, making Chanyeol seem nervous. “What, what happened with Jongin?”

“Oh, his friend died and he hasn’t contacted me in five days. I’m getting concerned.”

Chanyeol’s tone was reassuring, but light. “Ah, he’ll show up, buddy. Just give him some time. His emotions probably just took a boulder to the gut, and he’s getting over it. When’s the conference again?”

“Tomorrow.”

“Are you decent for the public?”

“Yes, Chanyeol.”

“You’re lying.”

“I am not!”

“No one that sits at their house all day is decent for the public. I want you to look like perfection, like you just stepped out of your mother’s salon.”

“She runs a school.”

“Same difference!”

Kyungsoo smiled before feeling a low buzz from his phone, signaling he had another call. He picked the phone off his ear and recognized the unknown number as an organizer for the conference. “Hey, Chanyeol, I have to go.”

“Oh, okay. I have to go buy tickets for your conference.”

“Ugh.”

“What?”

“You’re coming?”

“Of course I’m coming! My friend’s about to show his face to about half of the Korean population. It’s a big day, buddy!” he teased. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Yeah, you will. Bye.”

“Bye!”

Kyungsoo quickly answered the awaiting call and they talked about a few minor things before he was finally free of his phone. Less than five minutes later, another buzz.

There was only one, though, meaning it was a text.

Kyungsoo picked up his phone, seeing it was a private number that had texted him, but opened the message, expecting it to be a telemarketer or a wrong number.

I miss you, beautiful.

That could only be from one person.

Stomach churning with warm feelings, Kyungsoo grinned and put his phone down.

~*~

The buzz of chatter rung in Kyungsoo’s ears as he stood, sunglasses planted over his eyes so no one could figure out his identity ahead of time, behind the big platform that he would sit on for the next three hours, being interrogated and signing thousands of his own books along the way.

He was ready.

He had already spotted his three friends, standing up front, but there was no sign of Jongin, which disappointed Kyungsoo a lot. Of course, Joonmyun had informed him that the funeral had started an hour before, so of course he couldn’t be there. Kyungsoo was still pretty sad, though.

There had to be around three thousand already crammed into the room, umbrellas soaked from the rain pouring down on Seoul since the morning. Despite the poor weather, however, every single person—besides the press and his friends—clutched their favorite D.O books in their damp hands.

Kyungsoo couldn’t describe the feeling. Seeing so many people surrounding him, his fans, he felt so warm and self-confident that he almost didn’t want to give up writing published books, but he would have to eventually, debut or not.

He was choosing the earlier path.

Just as he was out of his emerging thought portal, the man in charge of everything nodded to him, a sign to start the signing. He removed his sunglasses slowly, running a hand through his freshly cut hair and making his way to the stage awaiting thousands of quieting fans.

A microphone was positioned in front of him, and he stood between it and the table he would soon be confined to for signings. A slight murmur and buzz was heard, wondering if it was him or someone to announce him. This was all part of plan.

He felt a slight smirk on his face as he bowed his respectful ninety degrees before speaking into the microphone. “Hello, everyone. My name is D.O, the author of seven bestselling stories, and obviously the only reason all of you are here.” People were so silent that even the slightest scuffle felt like a boom of thunder. “’Dancing With the Devil’s Words’ is my last book I will ever publish, so I guess you could say I’m retiring.” He paused again. “Any questions?”

At that point, he noticed all the cameras in the room, broadcasting this moment everywhere. No one spoke for a few moments, before, in a jolt, all of the press gathered up front bombarded him with shouting, hoping their question would be heard over the others. Kyungsoo laughed nervously.

“Alright, one at a time. How about… you, in the red shirt?”

At the mention of himself, the young woman spoke up so her voice could be heard. “Why are you retiring? Can you tell us?” Some murmurs of agreement before Kyungsoo smiled and answered.

“Thank you for your question. My reason for retirement is a secret I am not allowed to tell, but, if all goes right, you’ll see my name in the news later,” he hinted, before moving on to the next person. There seemed to be a rather excited young man in a blue polo, so he called on him.

“Why would you give up all of your fame and riches for retirement?” he cried out, other people gathered in the suffocating room agreeing. Kyungsoo’s brain rang with different answers to that question, but, instead, he simply gave one, keeping his voice calm and steady, which surprised him.

“I’m not retiring from everything, per say. Just writing. Besides, what I’m retiring for will gain me everything I’ve gotten from my status now, but in a different form. You’ll find me again. I promise.”

After several questions from the press—the fans could ask during the signing—Kyungsoo assumed his position at his desk as people were forced into an orderly line. The first one up had battled his way to become just that, as it was a scrawny little boy with thick, square framed glasses and his school uniform, though it was Saturday. Kyungsoo figured it was hagwon again. “Hello there. What’s your name?”

“Y-Yoogeun,” he stammered, bowing respectfully. “I love your books so much, D.O-sshi. Why must you quit?”

Kyungsoo, flattered, smiled as he looked down to sign the inside flap of the paperback copy of The Skull Beneath the Skin. “There’s a possibility, if my retirement plan doesn’t work, that I’ll go back. But thank you, Yoogeun-ah, for appreciating my writing so much. It means so much.” With a grin, he ruffled the young boy’s hair, making his face turn ecstatic.

“Thank you, D.O-sshi!” he cried as he ran off to join his mother. The line continued, all ages of fans stepping up to position on the stage, stating their name, and getting their copies signed. Kyungsoo had never felt so proud of himself before. Seeing all of these young men and women gathered here for just a silly dream he once had, it was almost enough for him to drop out of SM right now and continue writing for everyone to read and enjoy.

About thirty people in, his three friends hopped up on stage together, Chanyeol and Baekhyun holding pinkies and Jongdae slapping him on the back. “This is impressive, Soo. I never knew this many people read your books.”

“Yeah, I didn’t either,” Kyungsoo breathed out, running a hand through his hair. The guards escorting the fans out after their turn brought chairs for the three on request, and they took a seat behind him, occasionally speaking but mostly watching the interactions.

As the line came to a close and his four hours of fans came to a close, they finally shut the doors, but let the last few people in line get their chance after waiting for hours. After all, it was still raining outside and would be horribly cruel to send them out now.

The last person in line shocked him, though. He was alone, as the three had hit the road after the doors shut, so he let out a collective gasp, trying to gather his thoughts. The figure was completely overdressed in a suit, but his blazer was off and whipped over his shoulder. His tie was undone, as well as his hair, obviously styled to elegance, dripping and clinging to his forehead.

Still, though, he looked beautiful.

“Jongin,” Kyungsoo whispered, standing up and wrapping the soaked body of his lover in his arms. Jongin chuckled, returning the gesture as he kissed him on the neck.

“I missed you, beautiful. I heard about your little conference, and the funeral ended a little early, so I thought that I could see you for a little bit.” He pulled away, smiling. “Sorry about getting you wet.”

Without realization, Kyungsoo looked down to a soaked shirt. “It’s okay.”

“The weather had some good timing to make this day worse.”

“Yeah…” He trailed off, staring into Jongin’s slightly red and puffy eyes. “Are you okay?”

Jongin nodded slowly. “Yeah, I’ll be fine. Today was the worst, though, because it was a full on realization that he’s gone, you know? And then I had to get up there and say some words… I broke down crying in front of his entire family,” he sighed.

Kyungsoo pursed his lips. “That’s nothing to be ashamed of. He was your friend.”

The younger shrugged before grabbing Kyungsoo’s hands and beginning to walk off the makeshift, wooden stage and out the closing doors. He chuckled. “Where to next, my princess?”

“Wherever you want, Sir stupid,” Kyungsoo teased back, squeezing the intertwined fingers in his own. “I’m not too fond of going out in the rain, though.”

Jongin laughed as his still wet lips connected with Kyungsoo’s forehead, the first few drops finally hitting them as the doors shut behind them. Jongin stopped walking long enough to pull Kyungsoo’s body by the hips closer and kiss him lovingly on the lips.

That small moment was one that Kyungsoo would never forget. Despite everything that had happened; his new book, getting removed from college, and, best of all, meeting Jongin, he only remembered the small things throughout his life to come.

They would never leave him.

~*~

Ah, I wasn't quite sure how to end it, but... it's over. :'( I feel accomplished that I finished--this is the longest fanfic I've ever written--but I'm also kind of sad. Well, thank you all for reading, and the sequel's foreword has been posted, so feel free to go subscribe!

Thank you all so much for reading. <3 I love you guys!

Click for Unspoken