Chapter Three

Unwritten

As Kyungsoo lay in bed that night, his mind flittered to two things and two things only: his story, and Kai.

He was nowhere close to sleeping. The covers of his bed were kicked off, his TV was still in, and he had his arms folded behind his head as he continued to think. In the rest of the house, everything was shut off, like he was already asleep. But he wasn’t.

He couldn’t sleep.

Kai’s face haunted him. Kyungsoo had no way of staying in touch with him; not a phone number or anything. He tried to remember every bit of their conversation to see if something would come back to him about where Kai’s location would be the next day.

And that’s when he remembered. His brother is proposing and he can’t be alone at night because his brother simply doesn’t trust him.

Kyungsoo made a mental note to go to the library around seven. And if he wasn’t there, then he’d just wait. He couldn’t get Kai’s face from his mind and it would drive him insane, especially during school. He wanted nothing more to see him.

Second order of business: the story idea.

He stared at his TV, still totally blank. He had all of two days to type out a completely thought-out plot and e-mail it to Yunho, and he had absolutely nothing. What was he to do? He’d done every strategy he could possibly think of, and nothing was coming to him.

He was out of ideas.

He stared at his TV for a little while before a commercial came on for a new horror movie coming out in a few days. He watched it all the way through; something about a possessive soul taking over a little girl. He had never really touched the topic of horror; he stayed with fantasy and things like that.

Kyungsoo thought for a few minutes, before, it came to him.

A grin spread on his face, along with wide eyes. He had finally come up with an idea! It took far too long, but he did. Immediately, he sprang out of his bed and ran over to his desk, pulling out a piece of paper and writing down his idea. He’d type it up after school while he was waiting to go to the library to meet up with Kai.

This was perfect.

He sighed in content, climbing back into bed and shutting his TV off.

~*~

“Yah! Soo!”

Kyungsoo turned around and Chanyeol was there, without Baekhyun today. He wondered if he had lost him again, or if he just hadn’t met up with him yet. It was lunch, after all.

“What’s up?” Kyungsoo asked, the two walking side by side to Chanyeol’s car. Some days, the two went off campus to go eat. And other days, Kyungsoo just walked home and got some food. Their lunch was an hour, after all. He had tons of time.

“Did you ever get that story idea you were hoping you’d get?” Chanyeol asked. Thinking about his idea, it wasn’t one of his best, nor was it perfect, but it would make Yunho happy, and therefore had to happen.

“Oh, yeah. But don’t think I’m telling you. It’s a surprise for when it gets published,” Kyungsoo explained with a smirk. In other words, you’re never going to get to read it.

“Why didn’t you let me finish my duck story?” Chanyeol asked with a frown and a little pout. Kyungsoo laughed and lightly hit his best friend’s shoulder as a sign of affection.

“Because, you weirdo, I would never write it,” he said with a smile. They got into Chanyeol’s car, and Chanyeol dialed Baekhyun to meet them at their favorite ramen shop downtown, who replied with excitement behind his voice. If anyone of the three liked the shop, it was Baekhyun.

They finally arrived, and Baekhyun was already ordering. He must’ve found a shortcut or something. There was no line behind him, so Chanyeol wrapped his arms around his lover and pecked his cheek. “I missed you.”

“You only saw me two hours ago,” Baekhyun laughed. “Can you get my friend here a small bowl of beef ramen, please?” he ordered, obviously knowing what the other wanted. The ahjumma behind the counter nodded and counted the order.

When they had all ordered and were sitting at the table, gobbling down steaming hot ramen, they didn’t really talk until they were all about half way finished. That’s when Chanyeol broke the silence. “Don’t we have a test today in Music History class?”

“Yeah. I already took it. It’s kinda hard,” Kyungsoo sighed, stuffing some more noodles in his mouth with his chopsticks.

“Aish, really? I didn’t have any time to study because I was with a brat all last night,” Chanyeol groaned, turning to glare at Baekhyun, who returned the glance, noodles hanging out of his mouth.

“But I’m your brat,” Baekhyun said with a pout, the noodles in his mouth falling into the bowl.

“Oh, gross,” Kyungsoo laughed.

Baekhyun shrugged and took them back in his mouth. When he was done, he rested on Chanyeol, who continued to eat. He almost seemed to disregard Baekhyun, but it was more of an “I’m used to it” attitude he held.

~*~

When Kyungsoo got to the library that afternoon, there were a little more people. He looked all downstairs, not having any luck, though he doubted he would. It was evening; so where was Kai?

He walked upstairs and looked around, too; nothing. There wasn’t a trace of the boy. Until he checked behind a shelf, and found Kai reading a story, his knees almost pulled up to his chest, his hair now black. That’s probably why he didn’t find him earlier; his hair was different.

He sat down next to Kai, who looked at him and immediately turned to him. “You’re that guy from yesterday, aren’t you? Didn’t think I’d see you again,” Kai said with a nervous laugh as he put his book down, obviously still startled from Kyungsoo just plopping down next to him.

“Sorry,” Kyungsoo apologized, scratching the back of his neck awkwardly. “But I didn’t have anything better to do, and I remembered you telling me you were going to be here, so I just showed up. You seem really interesting.”

“As do you,” Kai said with a little smile.

“So do you actually like to read or are you only doing it because you’re stuck here?” Kyungsoo asked, pulling his legs all the way up to his chest and rocking a little bit as he watched Kai.

“Mostly because I’m stuck here. But that doesn’t mean I hate it.” Kai shrugged. “I used to read like crazy when I was little. I don’t really read unless I’m forced to,” he explained.

“I’m like that too.” Kyungsoo leaned his head back against the shelf.

There was a silence, but it wasn’t awkward, even though they barely knew each other. It was comfortable, like both of them were enjoying the silence. Kyungsoo even briefly closed his eyes as he asked, “What do you like to do, anyway?”

“Me? I dance.”

Kyungsoo’s eyes opened as he turned to stare at Kai. “Dance? Like freestyle or choreography?”

“A lot of both, actually. My brother’s a trainee at SM Entertainment. I’m the one who pushed him to audition. I did, too, but I didn’t get in. Anyway, he learns a lot of choreography and he teaches it to me to help me get better for next year’s auditions. They’re a long time from now, though, so it’s nothing, really.”

“You should show me some time,” Kyungsoo added.

“Oh, so we’re going to meet again outside of this?” Kai teased, poking his tongue out like a little kid. Kyungsoo couldn’t help but smile at that.

“I’d like to think so,” Kyungsoo laughed. That’s when his eyes went up to his hair; it was black. “Why’d you dye your hair, anyway?”

“I got tired of it, and I wanted it back to its true color,” he sighed, running his hands through it. Suddenly his phone started ringing, and SHINee’s “Lucifer” began shouting from his pocket. He pulled it out and answered with a, “Yoboseyo?”

Kyungsoo stayed quiet as Kai talked to who he thought was his brother. When he finally hung up, he had a smirk on his face. “He’s coming to get me. She said yes to his proposal, so he’s kind of elated.”

“That’s good! I’m happy for them,” Kyungsoo replied honestly. “So I see you like SHINee?”

“I’m not limited to just SHINee. I like a lot of groups, actually. I only like a couple guys groups; most of them are girls. If they’re not ridiculously hard, I try to learn the dances to the guy group songs. I know Lucifer really well, but I still have yet to master another one of their songs,” he laughed.

“I have two left feet when it comes to dancing,” Kyungsoo. “I can kind of sing, but that’s about it.”

“You should sing for me,” Kai insisted, poking his new friend in the arm.

“Not in public, especially when it’s a quiet place. Maybe when we meet again. But how will I know where you’ll be so I can see you?” Kyungsoo asked, completely knowing where this was going.

“I have an idea.” Kai pulled a crumpled receipt out of his pocket from McDonald’s and a stray pen off the floor a few feet away. The two took turns writing their numbers on the paper, before Kai split it in half, giving the other’s number to each of them. Kyungsoo shoved it in his pocket with a smile on his face.

Kai’s phone buzzed, and he stared at it for a few seconds, obviously reading what was just sent to him. “I have to go, my brother’s here. I’ll text you tomorrow after school, okay?” Kai asked with a heart melting smile. Kyungsoo nodded numbly and waved him goodbye.

He couldn’t seem to move himself.

That was the day that Kyungsoo realized… he was falling in love.

~*~

So there you go, gaiz! Chapter 3! I hoped you liked it, and comments are love. :P

Also, did you guys hear about the possible rumor of DBSK re-uniting? I'm trying not to keep my hopes up but holy crap what if.

Anyways, bye! :3