Chapter Fourteen

Unwritten

For the days following the incident, Jongdae didn’t speak to Kyungsoo. They hadn’t spoken a single word to each other in days, and every time they made eye contact, Jongdae would turn away coldly. It was slowly driving Kyungsoo insane. He wanted nothing more to apologize.

But Jongdae wouldn’t let him.

Even Chanyeol and Baekhyun, Kyungsoo’s closest friends for years, were turning on him. Baekhyun had refused to, saying that Kyungsoo did nothing truly wrong, but due to Chanyeol’s protesting, he joined them. Though he apologized repeatedly when they were all at their homes, Kyungsoo had never felt like such an outcast in his live.

Guilt, anger, and sadness built up every time the three he thought were his friends would come into contact with him. Whether it be in class or the three laughing and chattering through the hallways. Each time, Kyungsoo would clench his fists, his nostrils flaring.

This was so stupid.

Was it his fault he fell in love?

Things just got worse as Chanyeol showed up late to third period, resulting in him panting and apologizing rapidly to the professor. “I’m so sorry, I had some things happening from home and…”

The professor, however, didn’t care. “That’s okay.” She paused, scanning the room for empty seats for Chanyeol to sit in. There was only one, and it was to the right of Kyungsoo. Please, don’t put him by me… he internally begged, biting his bottom lip and chewing on some skin.

“Ah! There’s one right next to Kyungsoo.”

Dammit.

Just as unenthusiastic as Kyungsoo, Chanyeol hesitated as he awkwardly stumbled through other people’s legs to get to his desk. More or less throwing his stuff down under his chair, Chanyeol sat down and took his stuff out to study.

The tension was obvious and it was suffocating. Every time the other would move unexpectedly, one of them would turn to stare for a few seconds, then turn away. Once again, if their eyes met, they would both quickly turn away. Kyungsoo was completely unable to focus, and he didn’t get half of the lesson’s notes.

When it was time to switch classes, Chanyeol grumbled, “Out of my way, jackass,” on the way past Kyungsoo. Shocked, Kyungsoo just watched him leave. It’s amazing how much people you thought you could trust can turn on you. Feeling betrayed, Kyungsoo stood up and walked out of the classroom.

~*~

“Annyeong, this is Jongdae! I missed your call?! I’m so sorry! Please leave me a message~”

Kyungsoo was getting sick of hearing that voicemail.

After another failed attempt of getting Jongdae on the phone, Kyungsoo slammed his cell phone down on his desk, roughly pulling at his already messed up hair. His laptop was on, pulled up to the Word document holding his story. It hadn’t been typed on properly in four days.

Everything Kyungsoo wrote was horrible in his eyes.

He couldn’t think. Every time he tried to write something, he would end up backspacing it two or so sentences in, thinking it was garbage and Yunho would hate it so much. Letting out a frustrated, loud groan, Kyungsoo grabbed his phone and dialed a different number.

At least this one picked up.

“Annyeong?”

Kyungsoo breathed a sigh of relief at the sound of Yunho’s voice.

“Hyung-nim, Annyeong,” Kyungsoo started, trying to hide the pitiful tone of his voice. “Uh… I’m having some issues with my story…” he trailed off, making blue boxes on the screen with his computer’s cursor.

“Oh?” He sounded questioned. “What kind of issues?”

Deciding that since he could trust Yunho, he started talking. “I got into a fight with this guy, and now my other friends are taking his side, and I have no way to fix it and… I just can’t focus,” he sighed, running a repeated hand through his hair.

“I understand. Friend fights are the worst. I’m just warning you now, though, you only have one more month to get that thing written or else your company’s dropping you. That’s always been the rules,” Yunho reminded him, sounding cautious.

“I know. I’ll try to get it done.”

“That’s my hoobae. Work hard, okay?”

“Okay. Annyeong.”

“Annyeong.”

Hanging up the phone, Kyungsoo stared at his Word document for a few seconds before closing it out and shutting the lid of his laptop, leaning back in his chair and whimpering.

This would ruin him if he wasn’t careful.

~*~

Kyungsoo had woken up early the next morning. Earlier by an hour. There wasn’t any class today; they had cancelled them and had just told people to spend the next day studying. Kyungsoo, however, had left some books in his locker back at university.

So now he had to go get them.

The last thing he wanted was to go back to that hell, but the books were too important to let stay in the locker until the next day. Luckily, they were leaving the doors open just in case people like Kyungsoo could come and get their things. So, after Kyungsoo got dressed casually, he got in his car and started the engine.

It might be five minutes away, but he wasn’t going to walk with heavy books.

As expected, none but few were in the building, most spreading from the atrium to get their books and such. Kyungsoo didn’t even hesitate before he made his way up the stairs to his locker. Almost nobody was upstairs.

Or so he thought.

Just as he was locking his locker, he saw someone out of his peripheral vision enter the hallway. Unconsciously, Kyungsoo took a look and almost stumbled back into the rest of the lockers. Jongdae also looked startled, before turning right on his heels and walking away.

Quickly setting his books on the ground—they’d be there when he got back—Kyungsoo quickly went after Jongdae, finally appearing in front of him, holding his arms out straight at his sides, stopping his friend right in his tracks. “It’d be nice if you stop running from me.”

“It’d be nice if you just left me alone,” Jongdae growled, his neck barely visible because of how high his jacket’s collar was. It was freezing outside, and Jongdae’s heater in his car had broke months ago.

Kyungsoo would know.

“Please. This is such a stupid thing to fight over. How many times do I have to say sorry for you to understand that I am?” Kyungsoo cried, finally putting his arms down. Jongdae eyed him angrily for a second before speaking again, his voice cold.

“I understand that you’re sorry. I just don’t care.”

Jongdae once again turned around, about to leave altogether. Kyungsoo, panicking, suddenly blurted out, “You should care! Because if he wasn’t around, I would love you so much! I would ask you out, and we’d be as close as Chanyeol and Baekhyun are! You shouldn’t even be that upset! Who says that it will work out between me and Kai, huh?! NO ONE! You’re being so stupid right now and you can’t even seem to realize that even if we’re not actually together, we sure as hell don’t have to separate!”

Kyungsoo was unable to see Jongdae’s expression, due to his back being turned, but he saw his muscles tense up, and then relax. Turning once more, Jongdae looked like he had just been slapped across the face. “Do you honestly mean that?”

Kyungsoo nodded. “Yes. I do.”

They stared at each other for a second, wordlessly. Kyungsoo was trying to figure out what Jongdae was feeling, but couldn’t. He was a mix of everything. Jongdae then walked down the stairs, without another word out of his mouth.

Letting out a breath he had no idea he’d been holding, Kyungsoo grabbed his books and left.

~*~

Later that night, Kyungsoo brought his phone with him to every room of the house. He was waiting for any contact from Jongdae, any sign that he had forgiven and forgotten. Not a single thing. Giving up, Kyungsoo finally packed up his books after hours of studying and got ready for bed.

Until he heard his phone ding.

Eyes wide and a toothbrush sticking out of his mouth, Kyungsoo ran to where his phone was sitting in the living room. He opened it with the hand that wasn’t moving his brush back and forth, reading the message that Jongdae had just sent.

I’m sorry that I’m so stupid.

Suppressing a laugh, Kyungsoo tapped a quick reply before returning to his bathroom.

That’s okay. So does that mean you forgive me?

Kyungsoo didn’t hear the next ding go off because of the sink running.

Yeah. I forgive you.

~*~

Another chapter I'm not sure if I like or not~

Ah well. I hope you liked it. :b

Please comment~