Nine

Yesterday's Villa

Kyu Jong came out of the bathroom to find Sang Hee on the edge of the bed looking in a mirror. White cream was dabbed on her cheeks and the end of her nose.
“What are you looking at?” Wow she was quick, he hadn’t even spoken. He went to his phone. “It’s late you should probably brush your teeth.”


“When I’m done,” using the tip of her elegant finger she started to move the dab on her nose up the bridge, down the sides of the skin that covered the nostrils.

“You’re going to take forever,” Kyu Jong sat on the bed too. Sang Hee’s finger went into her eyeball, she’d been rubbing the cream upwards.

“Yah,” the cream went flying as she rose abruptly and turned to him. “The hell is wrong with you?!” Kyu Jong had to quickly gain his balls again.


“You’re busy messing around with unnecessary matters, the bathroom is free so please for all things holy just go and clean your teeth.”

“Humph,” she knelt down to recover her cream, sighing at the amount wasted on the carpet. After putting the tub with the lid firmly screwed on she went in the other direction.


“W-what are you?!”

“I’m hungry,” she snapped. “I’m going to cook.” Kyu Jong rolled his eyes; he believed that her temper would only be there for a short time. A short time turned out to be longer than Kyu Jong was willing to wait. He’d finished answering messages on twitter which took five minutes.
“What could she be making at this time?” He wondered half filled with annoyance and curiosity.

 

*

 

Kyu Jong should have anticipated this. Sang Hee’s specialty was cooking and she cooked when she was more than just ticked off or if she was especially angry. One time after arguing over a place to have the wedding ceremony she’d baked a cheesecake. It was his reason to disagree with her about other choices so there would be omelette, seafood noodles and an oatmeal with ‘I hate Kyu Jong’ written on it in marzipan an inch thick.

 

The state of the kitchen was that of it being used. A cutting board was left to the side, the detritus of vegetables sat on the edge. Sang Hee was close to the stove with a cutting board and a large knife.

Kyu Jong caught a whiff of the chosen meat, he scrunched up his nose. He went to the stove to see a point of instant ramen cooking in a deep red broth. For a little bit he just watched in quiet, he’d heard that most men enjoyed watching their wives backs as they washed the dishes but for him he found it was when she was cutting up food. The gentle shifting of her shoulders as her upper body focused to use the tools in the most effective way. Also it was the fluidity and consistency of her movements as she tilted the knife at the tip in an angle to carefully slice the ingredients all the way through to the plastic of the board and the way she even held the huge tool like it was a lightless feather.

All of a sudden Kyu Jong’s nose got an itch. Before he could leave he gave a sneeze. Sang Hee gave an exclamation, the cutting had stopped. Kyu Jong recovered to go over to her. She had her finger gripped tightly at the tip.

“What happened?”

“I’m bleeding,” her face twisted with the pain from the open wound. Kyu Jong managed to get close enough to her to hold her hand momentarily. A red line from the mid point of the middle joint towards the edge of the finger was visible. She winced, he’d squeezed it accidentally.
“Sorry,” he then removed his touch to go to the cupboards. “Don’t we have a first-aid kit in here?”

“It’s above the fridge,” Sang Hee told him while she her finger. He opened up the container to get out the box for the plasters. He tutted as he tore the paper off the plaster. “You need to be more careful.”

 Sang Hee’s face darkened, “how can you be talking to me like that at a time like this?!” All Kyu Jong did was shrug.
“Well, that’s how you were to me; when I was late coming home from the recording studio. I never made a fuss about it even though you let my dinner get cold.” Sang Hee couldn’t reply, he’d guilt-tripped her into silence. He found the culprit for the smell that crinkled his nostrils while Sang Hee put the plaster on her cut.  


“Yuck ham?” He waved one of the pieces in the air. “You need to stop eating this it’s processed. Eat pork it’s more likely to be natural.” He then dropped the meat down on the board and went back to the bedroom.

 

*

Kyu Jong didn’t expect Sang Hee to come back with two bowls of ramen. She handed one to him with chop sticks before making herself comfortable. Kyu Jong took a smell of the ramen, something felt off but he wouldn’t voice it until he had a try. He took his chop sticks and grabbed some of the noodles. Careful as to not let the broth drip onto the bed covers he slurped up a small amount; then came a period of chewing the instant starch and letting his tongue explore the taste.

His face changed from the relief of not noticing anything about it that would be displeasing. Sure she had added some other herbs from the usual that came with the packets but otherwise nothing was out of the ordinary. However, as he prepared another mouthful a piece of something pink fell after being momentarily tangled in the golden yellow noodle. It was too thin to be bacon, too pink to be pork, not red enough to be sausage.

“W-what is this; Sang Hee why did you put ham into the ramen I hate ham!” Sang Hee swallowed. “It was mixed in, why is it that you care so much just pick out the pieces.”

“But it’s everywhere!” Kyu Jong couldn’t see a single square inch without a small piece of the dreaded meat floating in the broth like a boss. Sang Hee couldn’t find anything else to say so she shrugged.


“Fine,” the bitterness from her lack of consideration started to rise. While she was still eating he tapped her on the shoulder and handed the bowl back to her; bad mistake on his part. She stared at the bowl, eyes glaring at him with contempt. Before he could say anything she put down her bowl and threw theirs out of the room. The room was near the stairs so it cleared the banister before making a loud smash.

Kyu Jong was in shock, the kind of shock at the news of a loved one passing on. He barely had recovered from standing there wide eyed to notice Sang Hee gathering her things and shoving them into her suitcase.
“What are you doing?” He asked in disbelief. She covered her revealing sleep wear with a dress that covered her knees with a high collar; for once her outer wear didn’t hug her shape.

“I didn’t come here to be insulted, especially not by my cooking.” She closed the buckles on the case, forcing the lid down. “Especially in a damn house that we’re never going to live in together or even have grand kids in.” She stood up and pushed her hair away from her face.

“So I’m done. I’m done with the fighting, done with the sneaking around, pretending we’re still happy and done with the house.”

“Hold up!” The red lights were flashing Kyu Jong had no idea how serious she was about it. She was going down the stairs at an alarming rate. He would have to hurry to catch her.

 

~*~

 

At the moment this story is my main focus so I will be updating a lot more than usual to get it out of the way. When I run out of steam for it I will do others so don’t worry I won’t be over-stressing. I didn't italicise any words so you'll have to figure out which words would be emphasized.

On a side note I think my trolling is getting worse. 5 karma points if you can find out where.