Nineteen

Yesterday's Villa

The flight home to Seoul was more comfortable than the previous journey had been. Kyu Jong and Sang Hee were at ease with each other, the tension that had been there once wasn’t a bother. They still had the challenge, which was coming more to terms with life with each other again.

 

Their lawyers weren’t exactly thrilled when they were told by their clients that they had decided not to divorce but Kyu Jong’s company offered a sum of money as compensation for the waste of their time. As far as Kyu Jong was concerned it was more like a bribe to keep them from revealing the case to the press.

 

Kyu Jong started back at work almost immediately leaving Sang Hee to deal with moving back in and eventually picking up work again. She refused to ask to be put on for part time hours but after much thought she realised that it may be the best thing for her. She couldn’t afford to get run down again, in case it caused another attack.

 

“So you are working things out with him?” Sang Hee stood up. For the past couple of minutes she’d been crouching awkwardly next to a box doing her best to seal it with masking tape. She just made a small nod. “That’s good,” her friend added. “Kyu Jong doesn’t seem like a bad person, it’s a relief to see you happy with him again.”

“Thanks,” Sang Hee didn’t know how to tell her friend her real decision. That she was sick and would need monitoring at times. That for her to stay would only bring unnecessary burdens for her friend. At the time of Kyu Jong’s confession her emotions had been raw, she’d cried in front of him for the first time. He’d seen her weakness when all she had wanted to do was to push them under a rug and ignore the facts. The fact she wasn’t really well.


“What time does he get back from his schedule?” Her friend asked while carrying a box of Sang Hee’s belongings from the room she’d been staying in.
“He’s recording in the studio, he may be late.”

 

“Why don’t you surprise him? Cook him a candlelight meal or something.”

“No point if I don’t know when he’ll be back,” Sang Hee admitted with some reserve. She was thankful her friend didn’t seem to notice. It wasn’t that she didn’t love him; somehow the feeling was still evident within. Maybe it was the fact of him seeing her in a new light. She was no longer the strong woman she’d once been in mind, spirit and body. All that had been stripped away within a matter of days. Now her body was weaker it didn’t feel right for her to be a damsel needing help.


*


The red light flickered on the sign saying, ‘do not enter when red light is on.’ Dressed in dark trousers, a long sleeved grey and black shirt with a v-neck Kyu Jong started to sing into the microphone before him.


“Ah not bad,” his producer said when Kyu Jong came out. “The chorus was a bit rough but otherwise the other parts are smooth. From when I last worked with you you’ve become better at expressing your emotions while singing. What happened during your break?”

Kyu Jong took a large sip of water. “Oh not much,” he grinned. “Just fixing up the house my parents brought me as a gift.”

“I see, now I want to clarify. You still want this song to be your title song?” The man questioned with some confusion. “Having a ballad song is a bit of a risk, they aren’t as popular as a dance number.” His client shook his head.


“No I’m not going to change my mind. This is the song I want to use.” Kyu Jong sounded certain, his producer just nodded.
“Alright then; let’s go back to the chorus and fix it up. Show your heart through your voice.” Kyu Jong agreed and then went back into the studio. He glanced at the time on the clock on the back wall behind the sound desk. Eleven pm.

 

He wanted to get home; he really hated the idea of leaving Sang Hee alone at home for long periods but he knew she would be bored sitting in the studio since she listened to a lot of older musicians.


“Hey Kyu Jong-ah,” during the short break his manager came up to him. “I was reading through the lyrics of ‘Later’ and I noticed something funny about the chorus. Does it really spell out her name at the end?”

 

He asked where she was referring to and she pointed to the lines. “Yes you’re indeed right.”


“Wow,” he brightened up at this. “That’s something new Kyu Jong. I think this song will be your biggest hit yet.”


“Thank you hyung,” his manager gave him thumbs up before leaving. Kyu Jong checked the time on the clock. It was only a few minutes away from midnight.

 

They finished up at twelve thirty. Kyu Jong was desperate to get home. He was tired from the work load and wanted to see his wife. He only guessed his manager wanted to do the same. His manager had gotten married just before Kyu Jong and Sang Hee had met and now had a little boy just under a year old.

 

“Thank you for working hard,” Kyu Jong bowed to the staff that’d been staying awake to help. He then went to the car park to drive home, holding his cup of coffee in his left hand which was keeping him awake.

 

*

 

Kyu Jong opened the front door finding himself in the dark. He glanced at the time on his phone. She hadn’t tried to call him while he’d been away. However in the lightless space there was a small flicker in the area where they usually ate dinner. Two candles stood, melting into their metal stands next to empty plates and un-used cutlery. He went over, amazed. Candle light dinners were things that hadn’t existed for them for about two years.

He heard someone’s breathing and saw Sang Hee on the couch. Her head was on the arm rest, she was still dressed in her normal clothes, grey track pants and a loose striped shirt with red and white. He went over to her touching her on the head. She stirred and her eyes opened.

“W-what… Oh you’re back.” She sat up and stretched, signs of sleepiness fading from her face.


“Sorry were you waiting long?” She glanced around for the time and shook her head.


“No I only decided to do it at eleven thirty…” Kyu Jong nodded.


“Do you still want to eat?” He asked but she shook her head.


“It’s not good for you to be eating so late.”

 

“It’s ok I’ll work out extra this week,” as she still got her bearings he went to the bench where he found the bowls of food all covered up and the bowls of rice. He carried the food to the table before Sang Hee could intercede. “I’ve got it,” she didn’t even snatch it from him like she used to.

 

“It’ll be cold,” she commented, rubbing her eyes as he served some for her and then himself. He just shrugged, getting his spoon to start eating. They didn’t talk straight away but they did before they finished.


“How was your day?” He asked.


“I didn’t really get up to a lot.”

 

“Have you moved everything back in?”

“Yes,” she said. “I just have to finish unpacking.”

“I’ll help with that.” She gave him a funny look.

“No you need to rest.” He raised his eyebrows in disbelief. Never had she said something so ridiculous.
“What about you?”

“I’m fine.”

 

Kyu Jong gripped his spoon a little too hard. “No, tell me if you’re struggling… I would rather you be honest with me.”

“Ok it’s stuffy in here is that what you mean?!” She stood up, shoving her chair in and walking off to their bedroom.

 

~*~

I didn’t want to end it there but in the end I didn’t want it to drag on. I realise my plot’s longer than I thought so it may be 22 instead of twenty. Anticipate the next few chapters ^_^