Four

Yesterday's Villa

 

There was some good news in Kyu Jong’s life which made him smile regardless of the turmoil. Two days later Young Saeng got discharged from the army and he was able to go and see him leave the camp. The others except for maknae Hyung Jun was there to give him the first ever hugs.


“Hyung,” Kyu Jong felt tears spring to his eyes as they embraced after a rather long time. The fans of their one true pairing cheered in joy and then added without shame, ‘kiss him, kiss him now oppa!’

 

There was none of that chanting when the two went out for dinner that night to catch up. “Here’s to our friendship,” Young Saeng chimed as they chinked their drinks together. They drank a lot before both placing their glasses down. “So how is everything going?” Kyu Jong sipped his drink.

Fine, it’s good to have you back from the army hyung.” Why did he have to lie? But then again how could he tell his close friend who was like a brother to him about the worries he was facing?

 

“Yeah,” Young Saeng glanced at Kyu Jong’s hand. The gold wedding band glinted. “How’s Sang Hee?” Kyu Jong quickly swallowed his mouthful before he could choke. Young Saeng smiled, un-steadying Kyu Jong further, afraid his friend would see through the mask.

“F-fine,” he mentally winced. He’d sounded too nervous just then. Young Saeng just grinned.
Brilliant, because from seeing you two together I know just how much you two really care and love each other.” The guilt kept increasing steadfast. “I just hope that now my time in the army is done that I can find someone to treasure as well.”

 

It isn’t as easy as it sounds hyung but Kyu Jong just ate with that thought hidden away. Better that he could tell Young Saeng when the time was right. If it was said now it would be like pouring water over a freshly painted house; the bright exuberance it had would be gone.

 

*

 

Sang Hee fell asleep on the couch. She opened her eyes to glance at the time. Her friend had left half an hour ago for her date. It seemed strange that while she was still in a marriage slowly crumbling she had friends close in age that was on the hunt for their last love.


If only she could tell them that last love was overrated.

 

But no, she knew her friend wouldn’t listen. She was too smitten. Sang Hee hadn’t met the guy. All could tell was how her friend was when he became a topic of conversation. The smile on her face would break the dimples, her singing driving any stranger they crossed paths with crazy and it was like she had a spot light beaming down on her almost all the time.

 

Sang Hee couldn’t judge. She’d been like that once. It had been in the early stages of her relationship with Kyu Jong. Reality had hit a year after they started dating and the spot light slowly faded. The ugly nature of her character became apparent as well as the dark side of his that he hid from the sight of the fans.

 

She didn’t want to admit that unlike herself, Kyu Jong didn’t struggle a lot with flaws. He had been the more stable one out of the pair. A prince and a witch; no wonder the fans had objected so viciously.

 

As she tried to wake herself up her phone rang. ‘Yesterday,’ her ringtone was that of one of Kyu Jong’s older songs. She made a mental note to change it when she could. It was a message, she read it from him.

 

How do you season pork? My mum wants to know she called a few days ago. – Jong

 

Wetting her lips she went to her contacts and searched the home number for them. She held the phone against her ear.


“Hello, it’s Sang Hee. No, he’s out at the moment,” she lied. “Yeah he only just told me then, so I’m calling back.” Something her father in law said made her laugh.

“Alright no problem, now for the pork I would suggest something simple with pepper paste and a bit of garlic and onion. Tell her to mix it to a fine paste and then smother both sides. Let it slowly cook until it’s tender. Uh huh, ok.” She put the phone against her ear, lifting her shoulder up to support it. She twisted her wedding rings around her finger. “Ah ok, yeah that would work. Ok then, sure I’ll let him know bye.”

 

The stillness of the room engulfed her. Even in the darkness the glint of the gold was still obvious. Part of her still didn’t know why she kept the rings on. The engagement ring needed polishing, the diamond and emeralds lacking their normal shine.

 

Disappointed in her sudden attention to such silly matters made her get off the temporary bed and go to her real one. Before she did she sent a brief message to Kyu Jong:

 

Your dad wants to let you know a plumber is coming tomorrow to fix the pipes. Then the house can be used – SH

~*~

Whoops forgot I wrote this early in advance so it’s now updated. This feels too short (probably because it is) Before anyone else assumes that Sang Hee has been cheating on Kyu Jong… No it isn’t part of the plan. I can’t quite explain why the separation at the moment but it should be clearer later down the track /is bashed for the spoiler