Ten

Yesterday's Villa

Kyu Jong didn’t think she would leave in such a rush. He thought he was the only one with the unnecessary impulses. Sang Hee usually prepared her actions at least a day before, well that is how it seemed to him all this time.

“Sang Hee stop right there!” He’d had to jump down the last few steps, do an army roll and sprint past her in order to get in the way. “Please, think over what you’re about to do!”

Sang Hee glared at him, their eyes almost at the same level. “I know damn well what I’m doing. Now get out of my way!” She lifted an arm to swing her case at him. Kyu Jong swerved, the luggage dislodging from her grip and onto the floor. Sang Hee stepped to grab it, unaware of his actions. Kyu Jong reached to catch her arms, stepping around to position himself correctly.

 

Her knees fell straight and she ended up flat on the floor with Kyu Jong standing awkwardly bent over her. She started to kick and struggle, Kyu Jong was lucky that her legs didn’t extend that far back behind her. As she got more violent with desperation Kyu Jong found he had no choice.
“LETMEGODAMNITKYUJONG,” He went down on one knee, pressing against her back. Since she wasn’t that strong he didn’t have to apply a lot of force.

“Knock it off please,” Kyu Jong had to beg her; she would have no idea how hard it was for him to apply physical domination to make her stay still.

 

She stopped cursing for a moment, her breath ragged from the expelled yelling. Kyu Jong loosened his grip on her wrists, drawing in air to wait for anything unexpected. When she made no sudden move he let go, he saw moon shaped red marks in her wrist from his nails.

“Please,” he moved away with caution, “I can’t do this alone. So please, don’t… Don’t go.” His energy was depleted, his manners was the last thing he could offer. It seemed to work, he saw the roughness slowly move as Sang Hee’s grumpy temperament changed.

 

She stood up, straightened her back. “Alright then,” that was it. She got her suitcase and in silence she marched upstairs. Kyu Jong couldn’t believe how fortunate he was but for him it wasn’t something worth being excited about yet. They still had to continue the rest of the visit before they returned to normal life.

 

 

Sang Hee’s quiet mannerism remained the rest of the night. Kyu Jong dared not say anything in case of breaking the peace. He went to use the little boys’ room only to find Sang Hee in the bed, on her side. She had the covers pulled up high so he couldn’t tell if she was pretending to be asleep or if she really was.

 

He gave her a gentle shake in the shoulders, she murmured but it was impossible to decipher. Slowly to make sure she didn’t wake he climbed into bed, pulling the covers over. As he lay down the ability to get comfortable became hard. He wasn’t sure which way to turn.

 

In the end he was facing the same way as her, to their right. Sleep started to over take him, every inch of his body becoming limp and floppy. As his eyes closed he rested his arm somewhere elevated; hopefully it wouldn’t get in Sang Hee’s way.

 

*

 

The next morning Kyu Jong woke to an empty bed. As if he expected her to have gone he jumped up to check for her luggage. Her suitcase was still there and open. He breathed out. After the initial check was done he got clothes to change into and went to have a shower. Through the sound of the rushing water he heard the sound of something being fried. Once out of the shower he quickly changed into a black polo shirt and some shorts before going downstairs.

 

He went to the kitchen to find Sang Hee frying something over the stove. On the table a rather lavish breakfast with rice, fresh strawberries which were a specialty for his home town, pickled fish, onion pancakes, dumpling soup all dishes he really enjoyed. All were masterpieces of a rather skilled chef.

“What is,” Sang Hee stopped what she was doing to lead him to have a seat. He turned in his chair to watch her. “What is going on?” It looked like she had woken up, her clothes were a pair of bootleg jeans and an emerald green singlet with a brown cardigan over the top and ed. She came to the table with the final piece, fried onion.

 

“You don’t remember?” Her tone was nonchalant but she seemed disappointed at him not knowing. She used the fork she was going to eat with to serve him the onion. “On this day, four years ago you asked me a very big question.” Now it occurred to him. He nodded in remembrance and guilt; he served himself some rice while speaking. “How could I forget?” He groaned inwardly, fidgeting with his cutlery.

 

“Do you still remember how?” Sang Hee asked.

“Of course,” Kyu Jong could still remember it, in the back of his mind. “I came to your work after you had just finished making sure you got home alright.” He paused to remember the rest. “But then you were hungry and so I offered to take you for dinner. Most of the places were shut though so we just had spicy rice cakes.” Sang Hee listened while silently chewing on her food.
“So we ate and quickly left for your apartment,” Kyu Jong continued. “We said goodbye and I let you inside—“

“—and there was a meal nicely prepared inside for me,” Sang Hee smiled as she finished his sentence. “I still have no idea how you even managed to get inside.” She served some of the dumpling soup for him. “I ate happily thinking that I would have to thank you when I was done but when I was finished I heard a song playing through the door,” Kyu Jong found himself feeling happy for the memory.


“You had stood outside for ten minutes,” Sang Hee’s voice rang of warmth. “You were waiting for me to finish eating before playing the song that you had written for me on your phone. I opened the door just as the song was finishing and there you were. On one knee, about to cry as you asked me for my hand.”

“You have better memory than me,” Kyu Jong admitted. His joy became guilt, deep down in a way he had forgotten how he’d done it. There had been five weeks of composing the song as well as his album at the time, the hour long meeting between both families to agree to the marriage as well as six weeks of cooking classes to impress her just for one night. Yet he had found pleasure in the time invested.


“I’m sorry,” Sang Hee turned to him. “I can’t believe I forgot I—“

“—its fine,” she shook it off though looking like it wasn’t. “It was a while ago anyway. There won’t be much point in celebrating it when we go home anyway.” He hated how she was able to remind them of the temporary way of life. For once he’d been willing to forget about it.


Sang Hee didn’t say much while they ate. Kyu Jong tried to lift the mood with light conversation about what they were going to do for the day but even then it didn’t seem to help.

 

*

 

“So you know what to get?” Kyu Jong felt worried while looking at Sang Hee. She held a piece of paper in her hand. It had a list of paint colours and the quantities needed for the living room.

“Of course,” she folded up the paper and put it in the back of her I-phone case. “I’m getting the paint as well as a new rug to replace the dingy old one. Just don’t tear down the house while I’m gone.” Kyu Jong nodded, going ahead to open the door for her. She thanked him before she went to the taxi waiting for her. As the door was closed Kyu Jong checked the time. If his calculations were correct he only had an hour and a half to get the small event prepared.


There wasn’t much at his disposal, just what they had brought with them and the food. Since it would be lunch time when she came back he decided to try and cook the simple dish he had made for her when he had asked for her hand. Shamelessly that was a vegetable stir-fry.

 

After preparing the vegetables and frying them he had to think of what he was going to do to show his appreciation for her kind gesture that morning. He went upstairs to get some ideas. Her pads of sticky notes caught his attention and gave him the idea. He got some from the pink and green pads and wrote on them just one word. Then he went downstairs and arranged it on the wall in a small heart shape.

 

It looked tacky in his eyes but he had no other ideas. He had to finish getting the food ready before she came and if he had time then maybe the idea could be scrapped.

 

~*~

Awkward description (yeah I do apologise) but I hoped the proposal was cute. I want to know how you guys would like to be proposed to if you want to get married. Leave your answers in comments below and you never know, your idea may be used in a SS501 fanfic in the near future :)
also I think I got Kyu Jong's birth place wrong so I will correct it sometime this week (no idea when)