Five

Yesterday's Villa

Before too long the pair were able to negotiate holiday time off to go to Kwangju and spend some time repairing and fixing up the house. For now, that dump of a home was their main priority.

 

The thought of three weeks with the two of them being the only ones around unsettled both of them. However this thought they kept away from the other to hopefully ensure that the teamwork could run as smoothly as possible, without flaw or drawback.

 

The plan to fly there was, Kyu Jong would go first and sneak under the watchful eyes of any fans until Sang Hee could join him directly on the plane. She sat in the row behind him at first but then had to swap seats with the person sitting next to him when somebody asked where her husband was. Kyu Jong found this all amusing much to her chagrin.  

 

Apart from the times that there was a silence, both of them quietly talked over ways of restoring the outside which needed the most work. At first they opposed the idea of an architect in case they had a loose mouth. But Sang Hee was in favour of this because of their little to no experience in house renovating or restoring.

 

Then it was the question of how it would continue when they had to fly home? Sang Hee felt that builders would know what to do while Kyu Jong found his private life a concern once again. Sang Hee had it easy. She remained hidden most of the time except if she wasn’t careful whereas Kyu Jong had eyes on him almost everywhere he went. The most privacy he had was when he was at home or on their honeymoon.

 

They came to an impasse with that question. Sang Hee lowered the I-pad she had been using to make notes. “Ok, so then who do we get to finish it up; our parents?”

“No that isn’t the case,” Kyu Jong tried to stop his frustration showing. “At least check the history of the companies they work for before contacting them directly.”

“Of course,” Sang Hee said scornfully. “What do you take me for?” She didn’t want an answer, Kyu Jong already knew that. Another one of her character flaws, her sharp sarcasm. He slid down in his seat pulling his hat over his face to have a nap. Sang Hee kept awake, she kept jotting down other things that sprang to her mind. 

 

*

 

After the long flight they got off the plane to a hoard of paparazzi. Sang Hee pulled her hooded jersey over her head. Without thinking ahead Kyu Jong put his hand in hers and led her quickly to the taxi bay. “Come quickly,” he said while glancing behind them to the media being herded by disgruntled security guards.


On the drive from the airport to the house the two felt drowsy from the sun. It was the middle of the day and their stomachs were grumbling. “Relax,” Sang Hee heard Kyu Jong’s stomach growl, “I’ll make something when we get there.”

“But there won’t be any food there.” He was right. Sang Hee sighed.

“Sir is it possible to stop at the nearest supermarket please?”


They found a small one on the edge of a town. Nobody was inside except for a few elderly people and the ahjumma who tended the cash register. Kyu Jong couldn’t say much as Sang Hee went up and down the aisles filling the trolley.
“We can’t just eat kimchi for three weeks!” She’d filled quarter of the trolley with just that. 

“No but its cheap and good value,” Sang Hee counteracted as she got vegetables, eggs, rice, milk and fruit. She even got fettuccini pasta despite Kyu Jong protesting at the price.

“Hey don’t put that--oh really now?” Sang Hee put two packets of ham in the trolley on top of the ramen packets. Sang Hee stuck out her tongue, “mehrong.” Kyu Jong gave her a gentle shove in response. They hadn’t played around like that for a long time.

 

Kyu Jong didn’t know what to make of the large cost that showed on the small monitor of the cash register. “H-how can we afford all of this?”

“Who said we?” Sang Hee already was holding his wallet, having it open at the notes pocket. “We’re still married aren’t we? So you should pay.”

“Yeah but that doesn’t mean I pay for everything!”

 

“Ok this is what I will do.” She took her bag off her shoulder, fished for her purse and opened it. She gave him enough to equal five thousand won. Kyu Jong just stood there with a wide mouth and eyes. The ahjumma at the counter kept an uncomfortable smile while Kyu Jong forked out the rest of the pay.
“She’s going to make it up to me with a foot massage,” he winked at Sang Hee. She lost her composure for a moment but didn’t retaliate.

 

*

The taxi arrived at the house twenty minutes later than it would have if there had been no detour. There was a sense of anticipation as they got the keys out for the front door and unlocked it. A damp smell flew into their noses as they both stepped into the rather spacious entrance way.


For a moment the couple just cautiously walked around being careful of everything.

“Inside doesn’t seem too bad,” Sang Hee commented. Most of the house was average in sight, but liveable nonetheless.

“It must just be the outside needing work.” Kyu Jong said flicking one of the switches on the wall lighting up the area. “Electricity is working.”


So is the water,” Sang Hee called from upstairs running the water in the bath. “How are the rooms downstairs?”


“One of the walls in the living room is badly damaged.” Kyu Jong dared not even put his hand against it for fear of it crumbling. “What about upstairs?”


“Every room is fine up here.” Sang Hee went to one of the bedrooms and tested the bed. Kyu Jong jogged to the other side of the bottom level, checked the rooms there and then hurried up stairs to find Sang Hee. “The living room, the banisters for the stairs at the entrance, the ceiling in the entrance as well as the laundry room all needs work.”


“So the house is fine to stay in?” Sang Hee seemed anxious. Kyu Jong nodded.


“Yeah it has what we need; we just need to make the best of it.” Sang Hee lay back on the bed.
“Easier said than done,” she moaned. Being out in the countryside was out of her comfort zone. Kyu Jong tugged at her leg making her kick out. With his fast reflex he dodged it in time.
“I’m hungry by the way. You can mope later. But now I need food.”


*********************************************************************

Haha I figured why not make Kyu Jong one who loves his food (is that true to his character Triple S?) Anyway if it starts to get boring let me know and I’ll do some adjustments.