Fourteen

Yesterday's Villa

The next morning Sang Hee slept through most of the morning. Her husband didn’t blame her; their escapades from yesterday wore him out too in a way. But he also felt quite refreshed. After changing into light pants and a t-shirt he went downstairs to make an easy breakfast. He didn’t want to bother Sang Hee so he made the easiest thing he could, ramen.

As he let the noodles cook through he started to hum away to an old song. He hadn’t sung it with his other two group members in a while but he could vaguely remember most of his lyrics.


“What’s happening?” A sleepy Sang Hee rubbed her eyes, pulling her dressing gown around her more as she came to investigate. Her arms locked around Kyu Jong’s waist letting her face press against his back.

“Go back to bed,” Kyu Jong said this with a grin. “You still sound tired.” He felt her shake her head.

“I’m fine,” she mumbled letting go to gently hit him in the back. Kyu Jong turned around, opening himself up for a hug. They stood there for a moment, both interlocked in their arms.


“I’m your man, I'm your man keudaeyeo ttaradatta oneuldo,” with reluctance Kyu Jong released himself from Sang Hee to grab his phone from the table.

“Hello, oh hyung how are you?” He took the phone away and quickly mouthed to Sang Hee, ‘Youngsaeng.’ She went to the pot where the ramen was as Kyu Jong took the call.


“I’m good what about you?”

“Good, you’re in Jelloabuk-do aren’t you?”


“Umm, y-yes I am,” Kyu Jong managed to answer. “Where are you hyung?”

“Same place as you,” Young Saeng sounded quite satisfied. Kyu Jong’s smile beamed wider. “I was calling because since you’re there and I’m in the area for the next two days. Did you want to by any chance catch up?”

Kyu Jong felt very blessed at this moment. His gorgeous wife was stirring their breakfast, a close friend wanted to get together and the house was looking ten times better than it had been before.

“I’ll just ask, honey?” Sang Hee turned, for once he face didn’t scowl from the term ‘honey’. “Youngsaeng wants to catch up would it be ok if I went out?” Usually Sang Hee would interrogate him about where he would be and who else could come but this time Sang Hee just nodded. “Sure it’s fine.”

“Great, what time and where shall we meet hyung?” They decided to meet at a café in town for lunch. Kyu Jong knew that Sang Hee would be ok for the next few hours while he was away. Three hours after breakfast he grabbed his gear and went to catch a bus.

“I’ll be back by three,” he said as she saw him off at the door. Sang Hee nodded, adjusting the collar on his shirt. “I’ll see you later.” Kyu Jong lowered his head and gently kissed Sang Hee. She seemed to be smiling slightly as she closed the door behind him.

 

*

 

Kyu Jong seemed to be recognised by only a few members of the public but otherwise nobody really paid attention. He did his duty of being famous by giving autographs and photos however he pleaded with his fans not to spread his whereabouts for fear of getting mobbed with Youngsaeng.

 

He went to the café, checking his phone to see if his group member had texted or called at any point. So far he couldn’t see any sign of him.


“Kyu Jong-ah,” in the corner of his eye someone waved at him. Kyu Jong turned and then went over to him. “Hyung,” they embraced and quickly went inside, both talking as they entered.


“Anything you want I’ll buy,” Youngsaeng allowed. “It’s been a while since we last did this.”

“Indeed,” Kyu Jong agreed. “You’ve been so busy with your new album and tour.” Youngsaeng nodded, drinking some of his complimentary water. “What about you? So you’re here for work?”


“Ah sort of,” their drinks arrived. Kyu Jong sipped through the straw before continuing, “more like a side-project to keep me occupied. I’m renovating a house.”

“Wow, to live in or—?”

“—it was a gift from my parents and in-laws,” Kyu Jong said. “It’s a summer house for me and Sang Hee.”

“How is Sang Hee?” Youngsaeng raised his eyebrows. His friend opposite him cleared his throat. “Well, compared to what was it; compared to the last time we talked things have really improved?” Youngsaeng nodded, his face brightening with relief.

“I’m glad to hear that,” he began. “I was getting worried I admit. You two seemed unlikely at first but then Hyun Joong hyung said…” He stopped. “Ah what did he say? Ah I remember now. He said that for a dessert to taste good it needs a bit of salt.”

Kyu Jong couldn’t stop. He just started to laugh and Youngsaeng cracked up too. “H-he said that?!” Now he had to wipe his eyes. “That is something Noona would say.”

“I know, but he then said; the salt enhances the sweetness of the dessert. So for you, even though Sang Hee gets under your skin and you under hers both of you enhance the greater qualities in the other.”


It was a precious time for Kyu Jong and Youngsaeng. Both of them hadn’t talked about the ups and downs of life for a while and now he could feel all hope of things working out between him and Sang Hee was rising. Their food came soon after and the two happily dined in their seafood dishes.

 

Youngsaeng paused while he swallowed, Kyu Jong kept eating. “Kyujong, can I ask you something? Would you or Sang Hee be able to set me up with someone?” Kyu Jong glanced at his dish, finished his mouthful before asking. “Do you want a famous or normal person?”

“Either I don’t care either way.” Kyu Jong didn’t expect Youngsaeng to have changed. He was the least picky when it came to those of the opposite . Youngsaeng wiped his mouth as Kyu Jong thought about it. “I’ll ask Sang Hee, she may know someone.”


“Awesome thanks,” with that the two continued their fellowship in good spirits. They didn’t know when they would be able to have this sort of time again.

 

*

 

“I’m home,” Kyu Jong started to sing as he walked up the path to the front door. He knocked, waited but nothing. He checked the time on his phone, he was only fifteen minutes later compared to the estimate he gave Sang Hee. After knocking again he tried the door handle. It surprised and scared him when he found it was open.

 

“Hello Sang Hee?” He couldn’t hear anything but the low hum the small oven made in the kitchen. He didn’t need to worry; she was probably starting to prepare dinner. Before he went to the kitchen he made a detour to their bedroom and put his stuff by the bed.

“Shall I set the table?” He called, waiting patiently for an answer. It was unusual. Before she may not have heard him since the front door and the kitchen were at the opposite sides of the house however now that he was going towards the kitchen there would be no way that she did not hear.


“Hmm,” Kyu Jong didn’t think much of it until now. In the living room he checked the table was clear before going to the kitchen. “Shall I set the table…?” Silence, he turned to face the room. The oven hummed the small light still on signalling that it wasn’t the right temperature yet. Sang Hee wasn’t standing by the bench or the sink. His eyes went down to the figure lying on the floor. Eyes shut and hair streaming behind...

“SANG HEE!?”

~*~

Dun dun duuuuun and we have a good cliff hanger LOL. You’ll have to bear with this while I’m away next week until Friday so I may not get to update until Sat or Sun. Enjoy wondering what’s wrong /yes I am evil.