Final

Yesterday's Villa

Sang Hee was discharged the next morning and Kyu Jong was there to make sure she would be alright before he left for his schedule. Right now he felt relieved, relieved at the progress they had made the past few months.

 

At home his wife did a bit of cleaning before having a rest. However her rest was disturbed by their phone ringing. Stretching she just made it before it stopped.
“Hello?”


The person on the phone replied happily to her. “Good morning, are you Kim Sang Hee; Kim Kyu Jong’s wife?”

She nodded, wondering where the conversation would be going. “Yes that is me. Who is this?”

“I’m a writer from SBS’ healing camp. Did you know Kyu Jong is to appear on an upcoming episode?” Despite him not seeing her gesture Sang Hee shook her head. How could he have not told her?


“No I didn’t know; when did he get invited?”

“I spoke with him earlier yesterday.” That made sense. With her drama from last night it would have slipped his mind. Immediately she gave him the benefit of the doubt. “Ah, right what can I do for you?”

“Usually on the show we have someone to appear along with the guest for the show. As a surprise for Kyu Jong I want you to cook your speciality meal for him and the hosts. And then you’ll sit next to him and talk.”


The idea of being on television scared Sang Hee. She’d had not received good publicity when it was discovered they were dating and now she didn’t know how it would go down if she appeared on television to talk about some of their personal lives.

“I understand if you’re worried Mrs Kim. It’s a lot to ask from you considering the past but it would only be for the second half of the show and you wouldn’t have to do all the talking. We’ll give you a run through of some of the topics we’re likely to talk about so you can think of some answers beforehand.”

 

Sang Hee paused. She would have to think about it. But her mind came to the realisation of just how much Kyu Jong had given to her. All of their married life she hadn’t done much to woo him or show him that she cared. Maybe now she could do something for him.


“Alright, please email it to me otherwise he may find out.” Sang Hee listened to him while getting pen and paper. She wrote down the time and the place for the filming and what to bring. After that she was thanked and had to hide the information so Kyu Jong didn’t know. For the next week until the episode was filmed it had to be kept secret.


*

 

Kyu Jong was exhausted when he finally came home that night. Sang Hee had gone to bed early but had left his dinner in the microwave so it could be heated. He checked over his schedule relieved that tomorrow was a free day. He could spend it with Sang Hee and rejuvenate.

 

That morning they talked about what they were going to do that day. “Do you work at all?” She shook her head while chewing.
“Nope, this is one of my days off.” Kyu Jong helped himself to some more kimchi, getting raised eyebrows from his wife.
“What? I like your kimchi; it’s as good as my mothers.”


“I’m glad,” she said before giving a smile. She stared into space before a sudden question came to her mind. “Have you decided what to do with the Villa?” Kyu Jong swallowed what he was eating before he could choke.
“What do you mean?”

“Well… It’s yours isn’t it?” She suggested. “You did the most work on it wasn’t that the agreement? Whoever spent the most time on it would be allowed to own it?”

“That was back when we were certain of splitting.” He reminded her. “But now there’s no need to do that. We can share it; it was a gift to both of us after all.” He reached across the table to touch her hand. “Do you want to share it with me?”  


“What am I going to do with a house?” They both grinned with Kyu Jong chuckling and Sang Hee having bright laughter.
“Good question,” Kyu Jong agreed. “I guess we can use it as a holiday home someday.”

“But they would sleep downstairs. I don’t want them falling and getting hurt.”

“Alright I understand,” Kyu Jong and his wife shook hands over their newly made bargain. After breakfast they lounged in front of the television for a while before Kyu Jong had to go to the gym.

“I’m meeting Hyun Joong there,” he said as Sang Hee walked him to the door.


“Don’t over do it,” she said squeezing his shoulders firmly in a brief massage before he went to wait for the lift. She smiled as he waved to her; they were feeling more like a normal couple.


*

 
The time for the filming came and Sang Hee had to leave earlier to get the ingredients for the meal. She said to him that she needed food for dinner that night as a way of telling him that yes she was going to be cooking but didn’t explain what it was for as part of the secrecy.

“Ok, but you do know I will be home late. I’m not too sure when the filming will finish.”

“Sure, I’ll leave some food for you.” She winked before disappearing out of the house.

 

At the grocery’s Sang Hee filled the trolley as she walked through the aisles. She had to be there shortly before Kyu Jong so she could get set up in the room where they prepared for her to cook in. She also had to factor in the amount of time it would take to set up as well as get reimbursed by the producer for her hard work and participation.

 

Her eyes caught a glimpse of the skincare and other products down the end, she needed some moisturiser soon. But her trolley stopped a few shelves down.

 

Pregnancy tests

 

Did she really need one? It would be the first time she ever took one. Then again something had been off that past week or so. The time had come and gone but the one thing that had meant to come hadn’t.


The thought of having a baby was exciting but also scary. She’d only been married nearly four years surely it was too soon? But just in case she picked one up and put it in the trolley. She would try it out later when she was at home.

 

On the drive to the set Sang Hee couldn’t help but feel nervous. The time on the clock in her car said Kyu Jong would arrive in about ten minutes so she would have to park and get out of sight until they went to the dining area.

 

They’d set up in an actual restaurant with a table on a balcony from overlooking the city view. The kitchen was much further in shut away by a door. She wouldn’t be seen unless they checked in the pass through wall next to the bar.

 

She was shown into the kitchen and introduced to the chef who would be working alongside her. With the ingredients Sang Hee gave a quick explanation over the sort of food she was going to be making and he agreed.
“You wouldn’t be a chef yourself would you?”


“Well if the hat fits,” that made them all laugh, she felt more at home now and less anxious about the cameras that would be around.

“Ok we’ll leave you two to it,” the director said. “We’ll come in to film a bit of you both cutting vegetables and stirring but otherwise you will be left alone. Sang Hee can I get you to come and get hair and makeup done?”

 

She was pulled aside for the make up artist and the hair stylist to fix her hair. They straightened it for her so it hung a lot lower than normal but she had to request it to be put up for health and safety reasons. They did mascara and some eyeliner to give her a mature appearance but didn’t worry about a bright colour for her lips.


“Kyu Jong will be arriving any moment,” the director shooed the two staff away. “Ok we will come get you when it’s time.” Sang Hee nodded and quickly went into the kitchen where she did up the apron and washed her hands.

*


Kyu Jong felt nervous as he walked into the building. He assumed that because it was a restaurant that they would be eating something. He sent a text to Sang Hee to say he’d arrived safely but he didn’t get a reply. Maybe she was still at the shops and couldn’t hear her phone?

 

He couldn’t get worried about it. He had to change into what his stylist had for him to wear. For him today it was a dark green sweater with a white shirt and toffee coloured jeans. While they were still setting up he greeted all the crew and was told where he was to come through. Sang Hee spotted him while she was cutting the vegetables but had to turn her face in case he looked in the space of the pass through and saw her.

 

“Ah I’m looking forward to today’s filming.” Kyung Kyu said to the other two MC’s as they stood near the table waiting for Kyu Jong.
“Yes from what I’ve heard the food is going to be exquisite.”


“The chef’s quite good from what I’ve heard.” Hye Jin the female MC said with a nod.


“Alright, we’re hungry. Our guest will be hungry I can imagine so let’s welcome today’s visitor. He’s the face of the pea green sea, let’s welcome Double S five oh one’s member and popular soloist. Mr Kim Kyu Jong.”

 

“Hello,” the MC’s greeted Kyu Jong as he walked in happily his bright smile that would surely be enhanced in the previews with special editing to cause his teeth to bounce light off them.

 

“How are you? Your next album was released recently congratulations.”

“Thank you,” Kyu Jong bowed where he stood which was next to Hye Jin.


“If you’re wondering why there’s a table there,” Kyung Kyu began. “We will be eating.”

“And the guest is to pay for our meals,” JaeDong said this with a smile causing the staff and everyone to laugh. “We’ll wait for your cheque at the end of the show.”

“Let’s get into it, discuss with us the release of ‘Indestructible.’”

“I wanted a more mature sombre concept.” Kyu Jong began. “Something where the colour of my vocals would be noticed and a blend of songs that can be for easy listening as well express myself through music.”

Hye Jin seemed to blush a bit before she commented. “I like the album cover.”


“Of course you do,” Kyung Kyu teased. “He’s not wearing a shirt.”

“But there’s a curtain,” JaeDong added. “There’s some shoulder and a red curtain almost draped over him.” Kyu Jong just smiled, embarrassed at the attention.


“It was to give a y appeal right?” He nodded.


“Was it for your wife?”


“Uhh…”

“Why you asking that without his wife around,” JaeDong got attacked by the MC’s which made him apologise. They talked happily while standing up; Kyu Jong sang a few lines of his title track and they discussed the meaning behind the song.
“’Weak’ talks about some of the struggles I had in life. I found it difficult some days to not feel ashamed at the mistakes I made and to move on. Being away from home made it harder but I always had the support of the members before they went to the army and when they came back. I’m always grateful to them.”

“Your wife would have been a great support to you as well.” Hye Jin suggested.

“Yeah, she received some backlash from antis about dating me but she really handled the pressure better than I thought.” Kyu Jong looked up at the sky to put his next sentence together in his head. “I think it’s her strength that got me through it.”

*

 

They sat down at the table half an hour later. “Now we’re going to talk about your group. When your contracts ended how did it feel when you learned DSP entertainment wasn’t going to extend yours?”

Kyu Jong paused. It had been a sensitive topic for him to talk about. He didn’t enjoy being reminded of how the company he’d developed under had decided that he wasn’t wanted anymore.

“I felt a few different things,” he said. “I was confused because ever since debut I’d worked hard to do what I was told and I didn’t think there were any problems. But I also was hurt.” The MC’s understood and nodded or went ‘mm.’

 

“You must have felt a sense of betrayal after you found out,” JaeDong sympathised with him.

 

“Truthfully I was worried about the future,” Kyu Jong honestly told them. “The others had companies who really sought after them but I didn’t get as much interest. I felt burdened by this and unsure if I would still be able to continue as a musician.” He swallowed as he added. “I really wanted this though. I did not want to give it up.”

Kyung Kyu took the initiative to say. “Your members would have been there for you during that time surely.”


“They were,” he cleared his throat. “A month before the date of the contracts ended I got really depressed and I ended up going drinking.” Before continuing he closed his lips tight and held his hands together. “Because of my Hepatitis B I’m not allowed to consume alcohol for it may cause the disease to progress but I didn’t care.”

Hye Jin agreed with him. “You would have felt very lost and bitter so it’s understandable.”


“When I got back to the dorm where I’d been living I found the other members. I was surprised, Hyun Joong hyung was meant to have a schedule at the time so for all of them to be there it really didn’t make sense.” He stopped, the memory suddenly causing him to pause. “Hyung had postponed schedule because he’d gotten a call from Young Saeng hyung who had been keeping an eye on me.”

 

For a strange reason he found his eyes starting to well up. “He said to me. ‘We aren’t going to stay. It’s more important for the fans that we stay together. We were together when we debuted under the company and we will leave together.’ When I heard that I started crying.” His eyes were moist as he said that. “I’d never felt more support from the members than when he said that.”


Hye Jin seemed to be the most visibly touched by this confession whereas the other two MC’s started to pick fun at her soft side. “It’s not her story yet she needs a tissue.”

“I’m fine,” she waved them off with a bit of a grin. “So when’s lunch?”

“I think we’re getting it now. What is for lunch?”


“Its beef ‘x’ with kimchi pancakes on the side.”

“Whoa that sounds amazing,” Kyu Jong had his eyes wide in shock. “What’s wrong Kyu Jong?”

“Oh it’s just that I really love beef and Kimchi pancakes.” He explained, still not able to put his finger on why he was so surprised. A few minutes later Sang Hee had finished preparation and had to push the food out on the trolley. The director showed her where to go with the trolley.

“The chef in charge really worked hard,” Kyung Kyu said as she started to walk carefully pushing it before her. “Ah it’s a woman it makes sense.” They all turned to where Sang Hee was walking.

“Whoa…” JaeDong was shocked. “The PD really did well with the guest.” Kyu Jong almost fell out of his chair.
“Isn’t that your wife?” Hye Jin asked with her face expressing the same emotion he was. She came through as the glass door to the balcony was opened. “Hello,” she shyly greeted the cast.

“Welcome Kim Sang Hee.” Everyone but Kyu Jong was smiling. The young husband just sat there gobsmacked.

“D-did you prepare this?” He asked when he was regaining his senses.

“We contacted her,” a staff member called from behind the scenes. “We hoped she wouldn’t back out.” They laughed as Kyu Jong got up to greet her in a hug. There were ‘awws’ from those on set.

“Why not introduce a bit about yourself?” Kyung Kyu suggested as Sang Hee took a seat next to her husband.

“Hello I’m Kim Sang Hee I’m thirty six years old and I currently work as a chef specialising in Italian food.” They clapped in appreciation.


“You sure know how to prepare your meat.” JaeDong cut a chunk of the beef and said to Hye Jin. “You should be able to do it this way too.”


“You look a little nervous Sang Hee are you alright?”

“Eventually I may have to imagine the cameras not wearing anything.” Laughter came from the reference to the idea that imagining the audience was would calm nerves.

 

“You two seem to have a very close relationship,” the two looked at each other. “But it must have had its downs as well as its ups. Have there been any times where the conflict may have become too much?”

“There was one time where things got really bad,” Kyu Jong took Sang Hee’s hand in his while speaking. “We were struggling with some issues. We almost separated because of it. However we managed to pull through and as a result we became even closer than before. Dedication saved our marriage but a worn down villa in my home town helped.”

 

END

 

~*~

 

It’s over ;__; I stayed up late to make this long and detailed. I don’t know what happened when the guys left DSP so don’t take what I say to be real.


For my first angst story I thank the readers who stuck by me to read it and give their input. I am going to write stories for the other 3 as well as fix up my first one because it’s a bit of a mess. Stay tuned because I will be sharing a preview for my Jungmin fic which should be starting in late March early April.

 

Oh and thank you Kyu Jong. You aren’t my favourite in SS501 but you sure seem like a sweetheart. All the best for your time in the army.