Fifteen

Yesterday's Villa

“SANG HEE,” calling her so loudly when she was out cold seemed pointless but for a shocked husband it seemed only logical. He came down beside her on his knees, shaking her. “Sang Hee, Sang Hee what’s wrong?!” Her chin drooped down and he picked it up, afraid her air ways would get blocked. Carefully on her neck he felt for her pulse. Relief came in a short breath when he found she still had one.


“Hold on honey,” he tilted her head up before running back to the bedroom. As he went downstairs he dialled the emergency number.

“Hello, yes I would like an ambulance please. My wife’s unconscious. Yes she’s breathing and there’s a pulse.” He frowned at the operator’s question. “No, she isn’t allergic to anything as I’m aware.” After several more questions he finally could tell them his name and their address. Now with a fifteen minute wait for the paramedics Kyu Jong flopped down next to his wife.


How could it have gone so wrong? One minute she was happy and healthy, when did she suddenly become bad? None of this made sense, not a single ounce.


Time soon passed and it was now the half an hour journey in the ambulance to the nearest hospital. Kyu Jong didn’t like the distance but it was the best they could do.

 

It was all a rush inside the small community hospital, the doctors took her away shortly after they arrived, making Kyu Jong sit down in a waiting area where he would be informed of her condition in time.


“How could this be?” Kyu Jong clenched his hands together in his lap. He prayed silently that somehow God would not only forgive him for not paying much attention to him but also that Sang Hee would walk through those doors, not be pushed through. He was so afraid of what was going to happen. Had he not taken proper care of her? Was she sick all along and he didn’t know until now? Would it end like ‘A Walk to Remember?’


After waiting for another ten minutes Kyu Jong called his family to tell them about what happened. They offered to come and be with him however he declined; the reason being that he didn’t know how strong he could be in front of them.

“Mr Kim,” he stood up to see a doctor approach him. “I’m taking care of your wife; I’m just letting you know that she’s sound asleep in one of the wards. We’ll give you a call when she wakes.” Kyu Jong shook the man’s hand.

“Thank you,” but he didn’t have reason to thank him yet. The man left and Kyu Jong was alone again. He leaned against the wall in his chair, wanting to sleep. He barely shut his eyes when noise made him stay awake.

“There he is!” He stared at them. They were holding cameras, microphones and tape recorders. “Mr Kim Kyu Jong can we have a few words with you?”

“No comment,” he was completely exposed to the world. He wasn’t even wearing makeup. “Please leave me alone.”

“When was it exactly that you found your wife out cold, on the floor in the kitchen?”

“Is it true she’s an anaemic?

“Have you suspected anything was wrong?” The security at the hospital had to cover for Kyu Jong but the cameras managed to get shots of his bare face. His manager would have a fit when he saw this. In the end a nurse told him that he should go home against his wishes. There was no knowing when the media would pounce and they didn’t want their patients getting disturbed by the kafuffle.


*

 

At home Kyu Jong went straight to the kitchen and drank a large glass of water. They had no alcohol as he couldn’t drink it regularly. Despite the exhaustion of the chain of events Kyu Jong couldn’t fall asleep; his mind kept him alert and awake.

 

His phone rang out of the blue. The name on the front was one he hadn’t heard from in a while.
“Hyung,” he said without much thought.

“Kyu Jong-ah, I heard the news.” The charisma in the caller’s voice seemed faint. “How is she?”

“She’s asleep still,” Kyu Jong said to him. “But aren’t you in Japan hyung? You just released another album.”

“I wanted to see if there was anything I could do.” there was a yawn at the end of the line. “Come down and visit you or something.” Touched by this Kyu Jong just politely declined. “Thanks Hyun Joong but I think I will be alright.”

“If you say so, just say the word and I’ll come.”

“Thanks again, bye.” He hung up only to pick it up again. The caller could possibly be very hyperactive on the phone so he braced himself, “Jungmin-ah, hello.”

“HYUNG I HEARD ARE YOU OK?!” He had to restrain his laughter to not offend his friend. “I heard from Cho Hee that she went to hospital and so I called you after I’d spoken to her on the phone.” Kyu Jong had no idea who Jungmin’s friend was.


“Jungmin, who’s Cho Hee?”

“She’s my fiancée…” Jungmin stopped. “Well, she will be in a week or so.”

“You haven’t asked her yet?”

“I’ve been busy with stuff.”

Kyu Jong chuckled at Jungmin. His friend was rather romantic with the ladies but from what he gathered it sounded like Cho Hee was the first girlfriend he’d had for a while.

“Ok, let me know if you need help with the proposal.”

“Yes please hyung and tell me how noona’s doing as well.”

“I will, have a good night Jungmin.” Kyu Jong decided to head in for the night. Any hunger pains had been overcome by anxiety and worry. In the morning he would go and check on her and have something from the vending machine in the reception area.

 

Unfortunately for him his phone rang for the third time but he was happy to speak to whoever it was.
“Hyung, thanks for calling.” Youngsaeng wouldn’t talk for long.


“Just letting you know that Sang Hee and you will be in my prayers.”

 

“Sure,” and then he added. “Thank you.” For the next fifteen minutes they talked about music, how they were doing in their careers. Youngsaeng only did it because he wanted to distract Kyu Jong from the current situation.

 

Eventually their conversation ended and Kyu Jong went to sleep. The only thing that kept him awake was the worry which returned. He would just have to wait and pray that God hadn’t abandoned him.

 

~*~
 

Next chapter should be good. I liked writing this chapter since we see the support amongst the members and his family. Did you know that Youngsaeng does/use to pray for his fans? Aww that is sweet. I admit it made me feel touched that there are kpop stars that do this sort of thing for their fans; I find it’s better than normal fan service.