Twelve

Yesterday's Villa

Despite knowing Sang Hee would be fine in the comfort of his family’s abode Kyu Jong got anxious over how things would turn out. They only had four days left in the house before they were due to fly home. If Sang Hee wasn’t well by then he would have to postpone.

 

In the end he had no choice. Since there was no particular way of knowing the exact point of time in which she would be well he had to make an assumption and delay the flight to one three weeks later. He hoped his manager would understand. When he did call this person he could tell by the long pause before he spoke that it was a hard thing for the guy to digest. “—if nothing can be done then we have to make do.”


“Sorry,” Kyu Jong didn’t know how else to show he really sincerely was. “I promise I will think about the album now and before I come home.”


“Ok then,” his manager went without saying bye. Kyu Jong glanced at the dinner before him. Ramen was a bad choice for dinner nutrition wise however with his lack of motivation this did not matter. He only hoped that Sang Hee would be well soon.

 

He called his parents afterwards to check on her progress. She was asleep and resting but had complained about the stomach pains. His sister Eun-ah had kept her company to try and distract her from her body. He was thankful to his family in more ways than one. First it was for them always supporting him when he decided that he wanted to be a singer. The second reason, their continual support for him when he debuted and for every activity he participated in. Third, they put up with the negative press when he was found to be a carrier of Hepatitis B. The final reason for now was simply their acceptance of Sang Hee into their family and the love they gave the couple.

 

Thinking about how they’d been lying to his family was soul crushing. His parents deserved a better son he believed. One who would never take advantage of their trusting nature or their desire to not poke their noses in where it wasn’t needed. He wondered how he would go without Sang Hee around.

 

*

Sang Hee woke one morning feeling drowsy, the pain seemed to have gone but she wasn’t sure for how long. Her hand reached to lightly brush the curtains aside to the crisp, friendly countryside. Today had been the third day since she’d been sent to bed.

 

She lowered her hand as a knock came on the door. “Unnie are you awake?” Eunah had a pretty voice. “Come in,” Sang Hee said as Eun-ah opened the door with a tray of rice and seaweed stew in two different bowls. “Mum made this for you,” Eunah explained, “hopefully you can eat now.”


“Thank you,” Sang Hee rested the tray on her lap, scooping a small spoonful of rice and eating with caution. She had no idea how unpredictable her body could be. Eunah went back to the door but Sang Hee asked her to stay. “Are you sure?” Sang Hee recognised that polite demeanour, Kyu Jong had it too. Sang Hee nodded to show she was certain. “Please, I could do with the company.”

“Do you miss oppa?” Eunah asked as she sat down in a chair beside the bed. Sang Hee swallowed, “isn’t that a bit of a funny question?”

“Well,” Eunah squirmed in her seat. “It’s just that he only calls. He hasn’t come by to see you since you came here.”

“I’m sure he has his reasons,” Sang Hee began. “He’s probably been busy with the house since we fly back to Seoul…” She stopped, putting down her spoon.


“We’re supposed to go home tomorrow?! Oh…” Eunah just stared at her sister-in-law while her tongue went wild. Sang Hee could feel heat in her cheeks from the embarrassment. “Your parents would be ballistic if they heard that.”

“It’s ok,” Eunah objected, “I’m a grown woman so I’ve heard worse.”

 

“I see,” Sang Hee didn’t have to imagine. She already had an idea.


“Can I ask you something unnie?” Eunah looked ever so hopeful that her sister-in-law would agree.
“Ok,” Sang Hee sat up in her bed. “Tell me what you want to know.”

“How did you meet oppa?” The bed-ridden patient was surprised at this question. She thought that she had already told her. She hadn’t spoken to Eunah much face to face since they lived at a great distance. The number of occasions that they had spoken like they were now could be counted on one hand.


“How did we meet?” Sang Hee asked herself. “Hmm it was at my work. I was rostered on as the chef that evening. He was on a date with an actress. Can’t remember her name and don’t want to, her acting is terrible. Anyway, I was working in the kitchen and I get called by a waiter. I’m told that I have a complaint from a young lady who found mushroom in the carbonara. Do I need to tell you who that lady was?”

“Oh was it her?” Eunah asked.


“Yes, so I go over there, mad as hell and determined to wring the neck of the woman who complained. Instead I talked to her, with your oppa watching and offered to make her something else while she was being frustrating. However Kyu Jong took a bit of the pasta and said, ‘I’ll finish this would you like to order something else?’”


Eunah gaped in awe at that point. “I admit I was impressed by his calm manner to ease the situation while maintaining the integrity of my restaurant so I gave them their dessert on the house. A week later I’m working at lunchtime and I am called out again to speak to a customer. It turns out to be him, without that woman and that’s how we started to talk.”

 

“Wow,” Eunah breathed out. “That sounds romantic.”

“Not really, we didn’t date until a few months later and that was because I had to make sure she was really out of the picture for good.” Eunah understood.


“But still, I hope that my love life will turn out like yours.” Sang Hee couldn’t hide the expression she had on her face while her sister-in-law just smiled, immersed in a day dream. To tell her of the ugly truth would be trampling on the glass shoe of Cinderella; she would be a crusher of dreams. But it didn’t make sense to her why she felt a strange emptiness inside her after talking about the fated encounter between her and Kyu Jong.

 

It felt like something had been pulled out of her chest, a large chunk of something that should have been left alone.

 

~*~


Speaking of love stories I want to share the one between my brother and his soon to be wife.


They both met in High school, his mum married my mum and that’s how we became related. His fiancé had a crush on him at first and she told me cos we started to become friends and I was like:

 

“ ._____. He’s my brother.”

 

So she found out we were related and then he had to explain (Laughing out loud) but they still talked and became close friends. However she had a few admirers though, all believing that they would end up with her. Poor girl she’s too lovely so no wonder that happened.

 

Anyway long story short after 5 years of dating they ended up getting married. Some cute moments I’ve heard about them is that he told her in pouring rain he loved her and that their first kiss was before their formal while she got out. Anyway off to write another fanfic.