Six

Yesterday's Villa

“Are you going to be warm?” Sang Hee didn’t really care, she just didn’t want to give up her blankets. Kyu Jong found her clinging onto them tightly in her crossed arms. Her sleepwear hadn’t changed since he last saw her. Same satin based night gown with the low front and bright pattern.


“You still have that?” She caught him staring and raised her arms higher to cover her chest. “Didn’t I give that to you as a wedding present?”

 

She agreed with this by her bow of her head. “Yes but you told me I had to wear it on our first night.”


“We just got married, I was in the mood.” Kyu Jong wasn’t exactly doing himself a favour by walking around in a loose t-shirt and boxer shorts.


“Yeah and I told you it was not right.” Sang Hee leaned back against her bed. “Because I know that you weren’t…” Kyu Jong had the sudden desire to hit the doorway frame.
“Is it about that again?!” He sighed, “Sang Hee, didn’t we already fight about it and then…?”

“—Make love?!” A blunt way of putting it, “yes but this is different. Back then we were both willing to overlook anything if the other suddenly got in the mood. I know you were telling me the truth.” She put her knees up and lay her head down on the rise. “I’m mad that had to be that way I found out whereas I told you everything.”

 

Kyu Jong felt it was a good time for him to leave. “Good night,” he then left trying to manage his thoughts. She was right though, she had always been honest with him about things that he thought she would do everything she could to reserve. He had always had to be careful; he couldn’t say what he wished sometimes while on television. Even when the news of the engagement came he had to lie about her occupation so no one would get suspicious.

 

He lay under the covers of the bed, still as possible to see if she was still awake. Apart from their doors being open the distance between the top and the bottom floor prevented noise from being heard. It was going to be a long three weeks.

 

*

The first day after they arrived they spent it organising what they needed and when. Kyu Jong then had the hard task of measuring the stairs, the wall in the living room and everywhere else that needed to be painted. Sang Hee looked up the colours online and listed the shades for him to buy. She also had to cook their meals while Kyu Jong contacted builders to work on the walls that needed the most attention. They organised for all of them to come the day after next.

 

Their peaceful stay soon had a rather unexpected event. “THE HELL IS THIS?!” Kyu Jong raised his head from the blue prints from the architect. He’d been standing most of the day with Sang Hee checking the shades of the paint he’d purchased word for word, colour by colour. Sang Hee was now checking the paint that would be used for the stairs once they’d been reinforced. “It’s white.”

“It’s the wrong white,” Sang Hee slapped the can. “The stairs are ivory this is floral white!”

 

How can you even tell that it isn’t,” Kyu Jong demanded. Sang Hee picked up the can and faced the front to him. “Read the label,” Kyu Jong had to sigh louder than before going towards the can.

“Wait we can’t open it!” Sang Hee snatched it out of his reach before pushing it into his chest, “you have to take it back.” Kyu Jong turned to show his disinterest.


“No they won’t take it back.”

“Didn’t you get the receipt?!”

“Yes I did.”

“So it shouldn’t be a problem,” Kyu Jong pointed to one of the boxes which had not been opened. “That is all the paint for the stairs.”


“Dear…” Sang Hee stopped herself. “You over estimated how much?!”


“It wouldn’t have just been for the stairs.” Kyu Jong clenched his fists at his side.


“Nothing in this house is ivory but the stairs themselves.” Sang Hee was shocked into silence as Kyu Jong swiftly departed. “Hey what are you doing?!” She got up and followed him. She stood in the doorway as he packed a bag. “What the—you can’t be leaving!”

 

“Yes I can!” She didn’t even stop him as he went past her to the front. As he went down the stairs he called a taxi despite her speaking over the top.
“But what am I supposed to do hold a tea party?! Can you even afford accommodation elsewhere?” Kyu Jong just ignored her and picked up the pace. Sang Hee could see he wasn’t listening.
“Stop this madness before I have to put ham in your next meal!” He slammed the front door shut behind him.


She stayed where she was, waiting for him to come back. Her hopes faded as she heard the noise of a car come and a door open. In the end she found herself sitting at the door, the sound of silence being the only noise. It was here that she started to imagine the solitude that would have hurt his soul when she first moved out.

 

*

 

Kyu Jong found himself unable to stay still the rest of the day. He was a little remorseful for acting on an impulse but he knew he hated hearing how he sounded when he raised his voice.

 

He didn’t even have the heart to eat though he would need it for the next day. Instead he tried to relax and got ready for bed early.
“Because I can’t see you no more~” his phone rang with Young Saeng’s song. He picked it up seeing it was his lawyer’s number, “Kim Kyu Jong here.”


“Good evening I hope I haven’t disturbed you.”

 

“Ah no now is fine,” his lawyer wouldn’t want to hear about the spat, “how’s the settlement coming along?”

“There’s been some bad news,” Kyu Jong sat himself down on the bed with a thud. “Your case was double-booked along with that of a rather nasty case between a billionaire and his soon-to-be ex wife. As a result of his lawyers we’ve had to postpone your trial to the soonest possible date available.”


“Which is when?” Kyu Jong asked half heartedly.

 

“Fourth of October,” his lawyer then breathed through his nose down the line. “I’m sorry; it was the best they could do.” Kyu Jong disagreed.


“It’s ok, these things happen right?”

“Yeah that’s the spirit; well I’ll be in touch, chow.” His lawyer’s unusual goodbye made Kyu Jong smile. But it disintegrated when he realised that Sang Hee would not be happy about this. She was keener on the whole separation than he was.

 

After all, it was actually her who filed for divorce.

 

~*~

And now you all hate Sang Hee mwahahaha (no wait this isn’t good) so I’ve been doing my research on the topic of separation and for them it would fall under a summary or simple divorce which can be done because:

- They’ve been married for less than 5 years

- Have no children

And then there’s all this other stuff which doesn’t really matter to the story.

 

Just for the record, just because divorce is a key factor in this story doesn’t mean I support it! No married people are better to work at it before calling quits and the only reason I see for divorce is if one of the spouse’s is actually abusive.