Eleven

Yesterday's Villa

 

Sang Hee had to come home. She didn’t know where the pain in her stomach had come from, but it was more than she could bear. She would have to stop her shopping there and just return. Chances would be that Kyujong would be disappointed but maybe when he saw her face scrunched up in agony it could change his mind.

 

Kyu Jong jumped as he heard the door being unlocked. He was caught off guard. She wasn’t meant to be home yet.
“Sang Hee,” he didn’t sound natural. He cleared his voice, “back so soon?”

“Ugh yes, is that a problem?” He stopped to examine her voice. She sounded aggravated or frustrated. The only times she had that tone was when she was struggling at work or is she was hurt. He came to the front door, “are you alright Sang Hee?” He found her at the foot of the stairs, hands over her stomach, face saying it all.

 

“Sang Hee?” A million thoughts rushed through his head.

 

Oh no what if she’s..?

“No I’m not,” she silenced him. “I had my period just recently. It’s random pain that’s all.” What he then experienced was relief mixed with disappointment. He came over to her and wrapped one arm over his shoulders and then one arm around her waist. With slow, gradual steps he led her upstairs to the bedroom.

 

She lay on top of the covers, eyeing him with caution like he was going to take advantage of her immobility. He went to the bathroom, going through the cabinet under the sink. “Did you bring any painkillers?”


Check the little white draw-string bag next to my make-up case.”

 

He found it without any trouble. He loosened the string at the opening to take out a foil with two compartments popped out. Taking out the pills he then handed them to her before going downstairs to bring some water.

“Thank you,” she took the pills and then the drink.

 

“Try to take it easy,” he advised as he left her to sleep. When he got to the living room he tore down the sticky note padded heart and scrunched them up leaving the balls on the floor.


Kyu Jong started to worry when Sang Hee didn’t seem to come down. He went to their bedroom to see she was asleep. Maybe she would be better the next day. He had to hope and pray this was the case.

 

However with each passing day she did not seem to change. She would wake in agony and want pain killers. Because of the directions of the medication it meant she couldn’t take it every hour but it made her only restless. So he had to focus on the house and a demanding Sang Hee who couldn’t even eat for the pain was that great.

*

 

“Maybe I should get you to a doctor,” Kyu Jong said out loud while debating how he could tell Sang Hee that she was almost out of pain killers.

“No need,” drat he’d been caught.


“You’re almost out of drugs,” he pointed out while seated on the edge of the bed. She snatched them out of his hands and swallowed them without a word. “It’s getting too hard.” Kyu Jong wished he didn’t have to admit it, but she needed to hear what else he was about to say. “So I’m thinking maybe you stay with my family for now. I’ll give them a call and talk to them soon.”

 

He waited anxiously for her strong worded objection. But the past few days had weakened her strong spirit.
“Fine,” she said. “I’ll go.” Kyu Jong nodded and went to call his father. He felt relief that his dad was more than willing to help.


“Feel happy to check up on her everyday.” His dad added before Kyu Jong could end the phone call. “We’ll see you soon then.” Afterwards Kyu Jong got Sang Hee’s suitcase and packed a few of her things before he had to get her ready.

“Dad will be coming around to get us,” he said, “so we need to get going.” He helped her sit up, her face a faint green.  He almost darted to grab a bowl when she stopped him. “I’m alright.”

 

Kyu Jong greeted his father with a big hug. “Alright,” his dad smiled to Sang Hee, “let’s get this little lady comfortable.” Kyu Jong watched as Sang Hee slowly climbed into the back of his fathers worn down four wheel drive.  She leaned against the frame of the door, eyes shutting instantly; it was up to Kyu Jong to buckle her in. He didn’t want her to move around in the back.

 

During the drive his father asked about the house and Kyu Jong told him honestly that it was coming along slowly. The builders had come to do their work again but there was still things left undone.

 

Kyu Jong winced whenever they went over a bump, afraid the sudden motion caused the stomach of Sang Hee to shoot its contents through the oesophagus and out into the floor of the car.


“We’re here,” his dad opened the door for Kyu Jong as he got out. They went to Sang Hee’s side to help her out of the vehicle.

“Good gracious,” his mother was worried. “Are you alright my dear?” Sang Hee shook her head and her eyes wearily closed again.
“She’s very weak,” Kyu Jong’s dad said when he saw Kyu Jong scoop her up in his arms. She laid her head against his chest.
“The pain has caused her to fast.”

“For three days?” His mother became increasingly concerned. “Doesn’t she need to go to hospital?”

“NO,” Sang Hee suddenly retorted. Everyone jumped. “No hospital,” she murmured. “I’ll be fine… It will be gone soon.” Kyu Jong didn’t know what to tell his mother. He had to just shrug gently and carefully carry her inside.


“Fortunately your old bedroom is still empty and regularly cleaned.” Kyu Jong’s old room hadn’t changed. He still had the posters from music groups he liked, photographs from friends and of the members.


“She’ll be fine in here,” he didn’t listen to his mother. He was too busy focusing on the photographs on his wall. To his surprise he found a picture that hadn’t aged as much as the others. It was of a couple standing in a large park before a lake. The guy was handsomely dressed in a suit holding the hand of his partner. The woman who had her hand held was standing close to him in a long flowing gown, a veil clipped in her hair with flowers. The pair had their backs turned to the camera but were looking back, both with smiles.


He took the photograph down, examining the details even further. He never thought he would have it in his old sleeping quarters.
“It’s my favourite one,” his mother said. “You two looked so lovely that day. I knew that your love for each other would last through out the years. Time has barely touched that as is the same for your marriage.”

 

Kyu Jong wanted to rip up the reminder of the life he once had but he knew that it would reveal the truth. The truth that the love he and Sang Hee once shared was now gone.

 

~*~


Yes it’s been a week since I work *bows in apology* to make up for it I’m going to tell you about how I would like to be proposed to.

For me I would like it to be done under the stars. There’s a place near where I live where you can look out over the city, it looks amazing at day and night time. You can see all these stars when you go there at night time. So I would love it to be there, amongst the people in the dim light where he my boyfriend at the time would say:


Out of all the stars in the sky God allowed me to keep just one and that star is you. Will you be my wife, my best friend, the love of my life and my star?

 

Yeah I’m gushing just thinking about it XD