Two

Yesterday's Villa

Early before the sun was too high in the sky both Kyu Jong and Sang Hee took a taxi to the airport. They had to leave earlier than normal to hide from the press and any potential fans. Being in the entertainment industry meant that Kyu Jong had learned a few tips and tricks from his seniors. Sang Hee had to adapt, as she had lived her life outside of the spotlight but the fact she had a strong will meant she dealt with any threats from fans or famous people better than most. She had an unusual tenacity.

While waiting for the flight Kyu Jong pulled down the brim of his cap to hide his features, the uneven weight of his lips, nose with thin bridge but wide nostrils and the shape of his jaw line. Sang Hee had to cover up despite not being well known. Her face was smaller; chin more defined, larger eyes and a widow’s peak.

Eventually after the slight delay Kyu Jong lightly tugged at her arm to get her to stand. Both of them casually walked to get their boarding passes approved their simple movement to bring no particular attention to them.

On the plane however Sang Hee snapped easily; “how can you be calling him right now when we’re about to fly?!” Kyu Jong hung up before the recipient could get the call.

“He needs to know when we come back.”

“He’s your manager he should already know!” Kyu Jong had to shush her; the racket was getting people’s interest. She slumped into the cold shoulder giving him no room to explain his actions or to even apologise. He turned away to watch the runway speed up, the sky blur as the engines roared into life.

 

*

For the whole flight they barely spoke, Sang Hee sat rock solid in her chair, recording in her journal as expected. Kyu Jong got up and down, first to get duty free, next to pose with a fortunate fan and last to use the bathroom. When there was dialogue it was mainly on his side.

“Did you bring the dress?”

“What time are they expecting us?”


“Is Eunah going to be there?” Sang Hee had to speak so when she did the answers were either one worded or short sentences.

“Yes.”


“Sometime around six or seven.”

“No she’ll be out.” And that was that. Kyu Jong, the sunshine out of the two would have to deal with it for now. He already knew she was short with words when angry or frustrated and lately she’d barely said enough to write even one chapter of a best seller.

The plane landed and they departed for the hotel which they would be staying in for the next day or so. Kwangju was mainly countryside with the urban life being very limited compared to the larger cities such as Icheon. Inside the two unpacked and stretched out a bit. Sang Hee hurried into the bathroom locking the door. With no avail anyway Kyu Jong rattled the knob.

“Why did you have to do that; we’re married!” He called through the polished wood. He could barely hear her retaliate over the running water from the shower.
Not for much longer!” With that Kyu Jong stepped away from the door to take out his evening wear, a light blue buttoned up shirt and black pants with polished shoes. Checking the time he took the key for the room and went to the hotel restaurant.

Fans spotted him without a hat and just sunglasses. He did the right thing, sign autographs, be courteous, yet he didn’t feel at peace. For him, being alone like this was the worst feeling in the world.

He longed for company of any sort, yet Sang Hee could shut herself away for days and not suffer a mental breakdown. They were opposite in almost every regard. The contrast had been an outrage for fans, thinking that she would turn his soul ice cold but somehow they had mellowed out. The ice had not been allowed to fully melt or freeze. Guess who was the fire?

Even when he got back the bathroom door still couldn’t be budged. He would have to wait for her to come out in her own time. To awaken some life into the room he got out his phone and charged it, playing the playlist from double S’s hits and songs that brought back memories.

As the sky started to darken he got ready for the dinner, he used the mirror in the bedroom to check his appearance. Now all he needed was the wax to groom his hair. The door clicked open, Sang Hee came out with a towel around her waist, and the waves in her hair were damp and circling down.

“Ah finally,” Kyu Jong quickly applied the wax, aftershave and lotion to freshen up his appearance. In the other room Sang Hee quickly changed into underwear and slipped on the dress for the evening. It was grape red, strapless to accentuate her shoulder line and long enough at the skirt to cover her thighs. Over the top she had a small brown cape. For a while she assessed herself, pulling faces when defects only she was aware of appeared, such as a small circle shaped birthmark on her right calf.
Aside from that she was lovely.

“Are you ready?” She was in the middle of doing her hair as he asked this. She did in a bun and then put on jewellery. For once she’d done the make up heavier than usual. Kyu Jong turned his face away so she wouldn’t seem him making expressions.

“We’re going to be late,” his eyes darting back and forth between her and the time, “come on you look fine.” She jerked her arm away as he touched it to usher her to the door to put in the pearl earrings. Now she was ready.


*


“Thank God this will be the last time we celebrate such an occasion,” to be so blunt about a special day saddened Kyu Jong, to him he had liked celebrating their wedding anniversary for the past two years. It was only now that the time felt stale and unwanted. Kyu Jong ignored her to watch the scenery, the countryside really was picturesque. He hadn’t realised how much he missed home now that he was back for the short time. Sang Hee never really experienced the area. She was a city girl by nature and heart except for the small pot plant garden they grew.

Now there were the nerves. At some point during the dinner they would have to be honest. It would break their hearts but they would pick up the pieces as they went. For a short time they were going to have to work as a team, a pair, a duo.

The familiar sight of his home helped ease Kyu Jong’s racing pulse. Even Sang Hee lightened up to a degree. Kyu Jong quickly got out first to open the door but Sang Hee had already done it.
“You should have let me,” he complained as she banged the door shut. He tapped the driver’s window and apologised for her actions.

The front door opened revealing the ageing faces of Kyu Jong’s parents. He went over to them and embraced them strongly, partly from missing them so much.

“My Kyu Jong,” he kissed his mother on the cheek and his father did the same to Sang Hee.

“Your parents are inside,” Kyu Jong’s dad told Sang Hee as they followed him to the other end of the house.

“Wow,” the dining area was set in pure candlelight. Each corner had a dish of three or four large candles, the table had three candles in total. Even the fireplace had the ornaments removed to have a row of thin, tall ones. It made the atmosphere, dreamy and romantic.

“It looks great,” Kyu Jong said to his father as Sang Hee greeted her family. Sang Hee’s parents both were up to date in their clothes, unlike Kyu Jong’s who didn’t have such luxuries in their part of the country.
“Have a seat.” Sang Hee’s father, a tall, thin man began the night. “We’ll eat first of all and then we’ll reveal the gift.” Sang Hee and Kyu Jong looked at each other. Kyu Jong posed a question.
“It isn’t here?” He then felt bad but Sang Hee didn’t think he did something wrong.


“It can’t fit inside a house,” Kyu Jong’s dad said beaming. This sparked warm laughter from the parents while Sang Hee and Kyu Jong both became even more confused. They didn't see the humor in it.

“How’s the Samgyeopsal?”  Kyu Jong’s father asked them. Kyu Jong glanced at her, warning her to be careful with the critique of food. While chewing her mouthful of the beef Sang Hee nodded.

“It’s cooked very tender,” she did a thumb up, “well done.”

“Ah what a relief,” Kyu Jong’s mother could smile. Her son wondered if she’d ever felt at ease when they’d dined with together with Sang Hee. She was strong in her opinions with food, it came with her occupation.

“We’ll finish and then we’ll give you the surprise.” Kyu Jong and Sang Hee held their breaths, what exactly had their parents planned?

~*~

Opinions? Is this boring now? Yes no? The plot is actually not going to be that long (the outline is only 3 pages O_o so I guess we will wait and see.