I Have Something To Tell You

Dear Diary [semi-hiatus]

 

Light shot into my eyes as I opened them. I groaned and rolled over, falling onto the ground with a loud thud.

What the hell?

I propped myself up on one elbow and looked around, rubbing sleep out of my eyes. My right arm was bandaged. I looked around, taking in my surroundings. I was on the floor, my bed was beside me, and… the door was being opened.

In stepped my mother. “Are you okay? When I came home you were just lying on the kitchen floor, bleeding… I was so worried!” She checked my bandage and my forehead, looking very worried.

I shook her arm off and reassured her, “I’m fine, I’m fine, don’t worry.” She just furrowed her brows and folded her arms over her chest. “The doctor came by when you were still unconscious. He said you were suffering from over exhaustion, couple that with your… illness… so you fainted.”

“Oh… sorry for making you worry, umma.”

“Don’t care about me now, silly girl, take care of yourself first.”

Just then, something popped into my head. This was the perfect chance to tell her. I gulped and cleared my throat. “Umma… I have something to tell you…”

“Yes? You can tell me anything.” She held my hands in hers, waiting for me to speak.

“I… I… uh… I…” It was just four simply words, yet I couldn’t even say it! What’s wrong with me!? Just four words… four words… I swallowed.

“I… have a… boyfriend.”

My mother’s eyes widened, her grip on my hands got tighter and opened and closed as if she was saying something (which she was not). Now is was my turn to furrow my brows. Was her reaction good or bad? Did she approve? I was confused.

Then, finally, she just exclaimed, “Oh my, oh my! My young girl has grown up! What’s your boyfriend like? What’s his name? How old is he? Is he handsome? Is he nice to you?”

I laughed. My mother was so cute sometimes. “Hmm… he’s really nice and he loves me a lot. His name is Soohyun, he’s five years older than me. And yes, he is so very handsome.”

“Uwaaahhhh! Sounds so cool~ bring him home soon ne? I want to meet him~” she was getting overexcited.

My smile fell slightly. “Umma… there’s two things about him I have to tell you.”

“Mmm?”

“First… I know it’s hard to believe, but… he’s a celebrity. A singer.” I said hesitantly.

My mother’s eyes widened again, as if they could get any wider. “Does the public know about the two of you? What band is he in? Or is he a solo artist?”

“The public doesn’t know… yet. He’s from U-Kiss.” My mother nodded in acknowledgement. I guess she didn’t know what U-Kiss was.

“Second… he doesn’t know I have… cancer, so please… keep it from him.”

My mother was still. Then, all of a sudden, she grabbed my shoulders. “Why doesn’t he know? Why don’t you tell him? Why are you keeping it from him!?”

“I don’t wanna tell him, umma! I’m scared! I’m scared he’ll hate… me…” I started crying. I cry too much these days.

My mother hugged me and patted my back, sighing. “Whatever you say… but he deserves to know, really…”