The Tree Pendant

Stuck with U

It has been a month since you moved to Seoul and started attending Seoul National University. Life had never been the same, especially when you're someone who never lived in a big city. You have been living at a dorm, which was actually a room in a traditional Korean house, with your best friend, Cho Hae Ri, who is also from Jeju Island like you. Your parents have been sending money to you for college and the dorm fee, but you wanted to find a job so you can at least help them and yourself.

It was 1:32 PM, Monday. You were inside your room and just finished your classes for the day. You waited for Hae Ri so both of you can eat lunch outside and just look around shops. Finally, you got impatient, so you called Hae Ri.

"Yah, where have you been? I'm hungry! Let's eat lunch!" Your stomach suddenly grumbled. You looked at your stomach and rubbed it.

"Yeah, yeah. I'm almost there. My class ended like five minutes ago. Why don't we just meet up by the street?"

"Okay, then. You better hurry up."

You put your phone inside your pocket, grabbed a light jacket, and headed to the door. You opened the big wooden gate and ran down the street.

 

 

"That was some good food!" You smiled at Hae Ri. Both of you were now walking in the city streets, looking at random stuff at random stores.

"You're saying it like you never get to eat everyday. Don't eat too much fastfood. It's bad for you." Hae Ri glared at you.

"Aish, so annoying," you muttered. Suddenly, an odd looking shop caught your attention. There were seashells and seashell necklaces and bracelets at the display window. The shop stood out, being the only beach related store, but nobody entered the shop.

"Hey, let's go inside that shop with the seashells." You grabbed Hae Ri's wrist and dragged her inside the store.

You entered the store and your face brightened. There were so many seashell accessories: necklaces, bracelets, earrings, etc. It felt like you were at the shore, just like your home in Jeju Island. As you browsed for accessories, you noticed a necklace that wasn't related to any of the things being sold at the store. It was a tree pendant. There were only two left on the shelf. You stared at it as if there was something strange about it.

"How are you doing, miss?" An old lady showed up next to you. She was a little smaller than you and had pure white hair. "Do you need help?" She smiled.

"Oh, I'm fine." You bowed your head slightly.

"I see you're looking at that special pendant." She pointed at the tree pendant.

"Uh, yes. It looks like it's misplaced here at a store full of seashells." You laughed softly.

"Well, this pendant is very special. There are only two of them made. If you wear this, you will not have any problems with health."

You nodded your head. "Ahh, I see. But ahjumma, is that really true?"

"Yes, of course." The old lady took it from the shelf. "Here, I'll give it to you only for 5000 won. Take it since health is really important."

"Hmmm, well, I guess it doesn't hurt to try it if it really works." You took it from the old lady's hand and tried it on. It shone when you wore it. You felt something weird inside you, as if you had a sudden heart attack that completely went away in a second. Then, you took it off and kept it in your hand. "Ahjumma, I'll pay you right now and then I'll go look at some more necklaces on the other side of your store, okay?"

______________________________________________

At EXO-K's dorm, everyone was asleep at 1:32 PM, except for Baekhyun and Chanyeol. It was EXO-K's day off, and Baekhyun and Chanyeol have been planning to sneak out ever since the night before.

"Baekhyun! Hurry up! The others are going to find out that we ran away from the dorm! Our time is limited!" Chanyeol quietly said, putting his sneakers on by the door. He was wearing a mask to cover his face and a baseball cap, so that no one would recognize him.

"Shut up!" Baekhyun whispered and signalled Chanyeol to stay quiet. "They're gonna hear us with all your blabbing." Baekhyun was also wearing a mask and a baseball cap to hide his identity.

 

 

The two of them were finally out in the streets. They felt free. Free from all the stress and all the screaming fans.

"Ahhh, feels good to be out here without anyone recognizing you." Baekhyun opened his arms wide, as if he was flying.

"Yah, did you bring some money?" Chanyeol stared at Baekhyun with wide eyes. "... because I forgot to bring mine."

Baekhyun shook his head. "Ahhh, such a careless idiot."

"Hey! I'm just a person. I forget things, okay?"

"Yeah, whatever. The important thing is that I brought some money."

Chanyeol smiled and so did Baekhyun. Then they high fived each other. They continued walking for a few more minutes, until a seashell store caught Chanyeol's attention.

"Hey, let's go to that store. It looks interesting." He tugged Baekhyun's jacket.

"Dude, it's just a shop full of crap. Let's just go eat something." Baekhyun sighed.

Chanyeol ignored what Baekhyun said and went inside the seashell store alone. Baekhyun felt weird standing in the streets alone, so he followed Chanyeol inside the store.

He took off his mask because it was uncomfotable. What in the world?... Baekhyun thought. What kind of shop is this? He looked looked around and noticed two girls inside the store. I hope they won't recognize me. He tried to stay away from the girls and looked at the interesting seashell pendants. Then, he came across a tree pendant. He stared at it as if it was something familiar.

"Hey, it kinda looks like the tree of life from our MV." Chanyeol suddenly appeared behind him.

"It kinda does, huh. Maybe I should buy-"

The old lady interrupted them. "Hello, how may I help you today?"

"Ah, ahjumma, how much is this?" Baekhyun took the tree pendant from the shelf and showed it to the old lady.

"I will give it to you for only 5000 won. This pendant will give you good health, young man."

"Ah, really?" He tried it on and looked at his chest.

"Wah, Baekhyun, it's shining." Chanyeol said.

Baekhyun touched his chest. He felt something weird inside. Something like a heart attack, but it suddenly went away in a second. He was shocked about what he felt. Whoa, what was that? That was weird. Maybe I'm just hungry...

"Hmm?" Chanyeol looked at him strangely. "What's wrong?"

"N-nothing," Baekhyun took the pendant off. "Okay, ahjumma, I'll buy this. I could use some health charm."

The old lady smiled softly. "Okay, young man, come along to the cash register."

Baekhyun and Chanyeol followed the old lady.

_________________________________________________

After you bought the tree pendant, you continued to browse for some more accessories. You saw Hae Ri looking at the seashell earrings and decided to show her what you just bought. You put the tree pendant on your palm and showed it to her.

"What is that?!" Hae Ri asked. "Out of all the beautiful seashell necklaces here, you bought a tree pendant?"

"Uhhh, well, the ahjumma said that I wouldn't have any problems with health if I wear this."

"And why would you believe that ahjumma? Are you five year old kid?!"

"Well, it's not wrong to try it, right?" You said. "And the ahjumma sold it to me for only 5000 wo-" Someone suddenly bumped into you. The tree pendant on your palm fell on the ground.

The guy who bumped into you swiftly put a mask on his face. "Oh, sorry." He bent down and picked the tree pendants.

Hey, this guy bought a tree pendant too. I guess he got the last one on the shelf. You thought.

He looked at the tree pendants carefully. "Uhh, I don't know which one is mine, but it doesn't matter right? Since it's the same kind anyway..."

"Y-yeah, thanks," You took the tree pendant from his hand. The guy left and followed a tall, attractive guy, who was also wearing a mask. You wondered why they were wearing masks. It was a bit hard to understand what the guy was saying since he was wearing a mask, but you understood it anyway. Hhhmmm. Wearing a mask must be the trend these days.

________________________________________________

A/N: Well, I hope you guys like the first chapter. It's a little... uhh... I don't know how to describe it, but I think strange is the word. Thanks for reading. ^^