.20

Blood. Life. Love. Us

Myungsoo couldn't bare to see this. Every bone in his body wanted to cleave Woohyun apart from her. He wanted to pull Naeun away and wrap her in his arms. He wanted to hold her forever and never ever let go. But he couldn't.   
 
Woohyun was trying his best to get inside Naeun's head. Battling to tap into the mind of a woman who had gone mad. Out of the three of them, Woohyun was always best when it came to walking into people's heads.   
 
And now he was trying to tap into the head of a girl who had built iron walls as far and tall as the sky itself. She was unlike everyone else. She was a complex charge of strength that could carry the world within herself. There is a fire in her eyes, Myungsoo noted, but he cannot decipher its metaphor. The ebony haired woman remained not like a puzzle, but like him, she was born into the womb of an intricate veil hiding the soul underneath.   
 
Naeun's rasps filled his ears as she catapulted the pillow cases at Woohyun who dodged them effortlessly. He was trying really hard to tolerate her, but there was something in her eyes telling him she wasn't even Naeun anymore. She was a ghost, a possessed being who no longer had control of her actions and her emotions were as good as gone.   
 
The room was gushed with white feathers when the pillow cases ripped. The once tidy room was now the horrific after picture of an earthquake. Glass shards scattered across the ground like glittering grass blades; the dark mahogany table turned helplessly on its side. There were different objects thrown onto the ground where they laid forgotten. It was a battle field. And Naeun was playing both sides.   
 
"Myungsoo." Chorong called his name moving his attention to her. He had heard Chorong arrive a few minutes ago. He heard her open the front door, even without being there. Vampire hearing was something he adored at times.   
 
"The town's a mess right now." She murmured lowly as she stepped towards him towards the doorway where he watched Naeun. Her eyes were filled with pain, it killed her to see her best friend in this state.   
 
Naeun was completely clueless to their presence. She didn't even acknowledge Woohyun's presence and he was standing in front of her.   
 
It wasn't Naeun, it felt like someone else was there. But they both knew, it was Son Naeun. They both knew that inside her was that soul of a phoenix dashing through the cages of hell, trying to break free of her chains.   
 
"She's going to be okay you know." Chorong fizzled inaudibly. Myungsoo moved his eyes to the girl. Chorong gave him a reassuring smile as if she could see the future. But if only the future was that simple to read.   
 
"What happened in town?" He asked changing the topic. She could see that Chorong was worry. Worry about everything. The young woman could only handle so much and he didn't want to other worry her. Naeun would surely kill him if he caused harm to her best friend.    
 
"What happened to my best friend?" She countered bleakly. Myungsoo huffed. Chorong wasn't letting this one go. Chorong wasn't one to stand and watch the world fall apart around her while she did nothing.   
 
"My brother happened. Jonghyun hyung has a specialty when it comes to getting inside people's heads and messing with them. He got into your head, and now Naeun's." Myungsoo answered. He felt Chorong stiffen in her spot.   
 
"How?" She mumbled in disbelief as she watched Woohyun grab Naeun's shoulders, saying a few short words to her, she saw her friend begin to close her eyes and fall asleep.   
 
"Naeun's mental state when he found her. It was so weak, he tapped into her mind and played with it. He's doing it to punish me. Because Sooyeon choose me instead. Because Sooyeon's dead."

Chorong frowned. She felt pity for them. All of them. Myungsoo. Jonghyun. Naeun. Their life story was a broken love story. A classic tale of love, deceit, trust, magic, lies, and death. A perfect tale one could say was written by William Shakespeare himself.   
 
But it wasn't right. Her best friend was being used as a pawn between the brothers. Naeun was no chess piece they could fool with. She was human. She had feelings, emotions, philosophies, she didn't deserve this.   
 
"I want to keep her away from you," She started watching Myungsoo turn towards her, "But I know that without you she'll fall apart. You were the only thing that kept her going. And then you turn around and leave her," Chorong continued shooting lasers at the vampires, "So what am I supposed to do?"   
 
"You look into that witchy magic book of yours or call on your dead ancestors or something." Woohyun answered standing in front of the two.   
 
"Naeun's head is like the Pentagon." Woohyun stated in defeat. Sure, he's tapped into the minds of many over his lifetime. But Son Naeun was different. It was the Original Family blood running through her veins. It was also Jonghyun's control over her. But most of all, it was herself. She had broke. It was like trying to stop water from flowing out of the Hoover Dam once the dam broke.   
 
"Naeun's main issue isn't Jonghyun, its not even us. Its herself." Woohyun said to the two. They understood, they always knew. Son Naeun's worst enemy was always herself.   
 
"What do we do?" Chorong asked. Woohyun shrugged. For once, he was left speechless.   
 
--   
 
Myungsoo sat next to her sleeping body. His fingers played with strands of her raven black hair. Her hair flowed through his fingers like the purest silk. Delicate and silky   
 
"Naeun-ah. I'm sorry for leaving you." He mumbled. He watched her. He took in everything about her, her closed lids, her cute button nose, her soft pink lips we would love to kiss again, her pale white skin, he saw all her features.   
 
He had found himself unable to get those bright hazel eyes out of his mind, or of Naeun's sparkling grin and jovial laugh. She was a virus, and he had spread most ardently across the vast canvas of his heart. She was everything that had been missing from the immortal’s life—a breath of air for a dying man, who had buried his heart in the dessert and never expected to look upon it again.   
 
He remembered the first time he saw her. He recollected it so vividly in his mind. It was the day they had returned to Seoul. It was that autumn day he had found her sitting between two tombstones, drawing away foolishly.   
 
He had returned to that place to visit an old friend. Dongwoon. Every time he returned he would visit the old friend of his who had saved him.   
 
It was on that day, after visiting Dongwoon's grave, he saw her. And he already knew in his mind, after seeing her just for a quick moment in time that he wanted to know her more. His curiosity got the best of him.   
 
It was insanity from the birth, from the moment he laid his eyes on the austere war flower. Something seemed to have sparked inside of him. He was suddenly alive, given new life.   
 
And from then on, Son Naeun entered his life. Naeun was anything but typical. But she was anything but. She was the sweetheart, the hard working student, the lost soul. There was someone like her in every town, in every city, in every country all over the world.   
 
Naeun was beautiful. The kind of beautiful like the image of the sea as it enfolds against the cliffs beneath the effulgent twilight, a dazzling sound of blues, reds and white interspersed in a manner only perhaps Monet could capture.   
 
But what made Son Naeun different was that the second he laid eyes on her, he wanted her.   
 
Everything from that moment forward was...well, he couldn't even find words to describe it. Dark. Fascinating. Strange. Amazing. All those words seemed fit, yet none did.   
 
He remembered seeing her in class. She was drawing. It was the drawing of the three people she loves the most. Kahi, Chorong, and Eunji. He had watched her draw. He had actually let curiosity win and tap into her head for that moment.   
 
And what he saw was a young 17 year girl who had been judged by the world. They saw her as a sad defenseless girl who had lost her parents. She had experienced the pitiful looks, the sympathy cries. She had survived it all. In that moment he realized that Son Naeun was nothing like how the world saw her. She didn't need pitiful looks or sympathy cries. Naeun needed comfort and love. And she got it from those three women she was sketching.   
 
He remembered her outside the school. It was the day Eunji had cut herself. He couldn't control himself around Original blood, oddly enough, now he was so used to it. It didn't bother him anymore.   
 
She had followed him outside. He had lost himself in her honey orbs. He saw the innocence radiating from her. The pain, the confusion, determination, faith, hope, love. He saw it all in her eyes.   
 
The night at the Fall Festival replayed in his mind. Eunji's angelic voice singing, capturing the attention of everyone there, Hoya's too. Naeun's words from that night played in his mind. "So you want me to tell you something about myself? I don’t have anything to say. Even if I did, you’d be wrong to believe me. Trust is a lie. Nobody ever knows anyone."   
 
He had read her that night like an open notebook. He didn't realize it then, but he was dead on.   
 
The devastated look on her face was captured in his mind when he told her he had lost his parents. She was the only person he ever talked about his family to. He had lied to her that night. She had asked him if he had any siblings. He lied. But he didn't want to bring Jonghyun up. That was too long a story to tell.   
 
After that curiosity must've gotten the best of her as well. She began digging. She began searching. And in her search she found the answers. Vampires. Maybe that was why he took her memory away the first time. Because she was too prepared for it.   
 
But the second time. That time Naeun was truly a best. Kahi was gone. Dead. Killed by Jonghyun. Naeun had found him that time. Maybe that was how he knew she was ready. Ready to know what he truly was.   
 
On that stormy day Naeun had cried as hard and loud as the storm blowing down on them. But nothing the skies created could scare him more than the girl he held. From then on he promised himself to protect her. "Everything is going to be okay," he told her. God he hoped he was right.   
 
Their first kiss was unexpected. Even for him. He had sworn that he lost his mind. But he didn't care. He saw her powerless state, and wanted nothing more than to protect her, to love her.   
 
Then he remembered losing her. He had left her when she begged for him to stay. He had walked away when she needed him most. He was to blame for why she was like this. It was his fault. He thought that if he left, Jonghyun would leave with him. But he was wrong. Jonghyun never wanted him to die. Dying was too easy. He wanted Myungsoo to suffer. And he found the perfect way to Myungsoo's heart.   
 
Without breaking his gaze, he drew her face closer and leaned in, pressing a gentle kiss to her forehead, his lips softer than the tremor of butterfly wings.   
 
All his emotions flowed together perfectly telling him the obvious truth. He was in every way, conclusively, undeniably in love with Naeun.   
 
--   
 
Everyone saw the world differently. Each had their own aspects, their own point of view. And Eunji was currently seeing it as something new.   
 
She stormed out of the manor after they had finished explaining everything to her. What kind of game were they playing?   
 
"Eunji-ah!" Chorong's sweet voice called after her. Eunji growled. The sun burned, her skin felt like it was being lit on fire. She felt as if she was being set on fire.   
 
But she kept walking. The world seemed clearly, details were more vivid, everything was in high quality.   
 
"Look," Chorong petitioned hauling Eunji by her shoulders, "Do you remembered what happened?" She disputed. Eunji stared at her best friend. She felt the urgent need to drink. There was a burning in , a desire for water. Yet she knew water couldn't satisfied the hunger.   
 
"No." She admitted.   
 
"Eunji, we lost you, do you remember?" Chorong spluttered, and she sounded scare, too scare. It was like reminiscing a nightmare for Chorong.   
 
Eunji felt someone approach them, someone who moved like the wind at an super natural speed.   
 
She blinked and in that short instance both Chorong and Hoya were standing before her. Something about the look in the man's eyes scared her. They were as deep as the ocean, and were laced in a cold steel to mask away all sources of feelings and emotions. But he looked so worry, and she didn't understand why. He was looking at her like he cared, like he knew her.   
 
"How did-" She stammered turning around to face the manor. It was impossible for him to get from there to here in that short amount of time.   
 
Hoya leaned in close to her and whispered, "Remember." At the sound of his voice, that dull fear mixed with awe, something suddenly clicks inside her, like a puzzle falling comfortably in place. She felt dizzy suddenly, as if sinking slowly into watery quicksand. A most ascertained knowledge floods her, and in her foregone conclusion, she felt sick to her stomach. Her innards churn, boiling in a vat of oil. Her eyes darken, brow furrowed as the memories came back.   
 
And just like that everything that had happened to her came back in a rush. She was running. She was being chased and every bone in her body felt like it could die from being so tired. He had found her, the man, no, he was not a man. He was something else. He was what they had told her about. A vampire.   
 
Then it hit her fast and hard. She had died. She recollected struggling for dear life as he held her underwater. Every scratch, kick, and punch made no difference. She had slowly lost consciousness. The world sluggishly drifted away from her as she began walking into a bright light.   
 
Lungs kidnapping the air that filled them, they held it hostage almost indefinitely as she recollected the events which occurred. She was dead. Eunji had died. But why was she still standing here. Then she understood. Her face must've said it all because she could see the assuring look coming from Chorong. Eunji didn't know what to do, how to handle this. She was a vampire.   
 
--   
 
Chorong fell onto her knees as she flipped through the pages of the old book. Her eyes searched for anything that could help. Spells, incantations, lists written in Latin, all was the same.   
 
Then the oddest thing happened, though she could no longer consider it odd, after everything she's been though. The book slid away from her and began flipping itself.   
 
She sat there with eyes widen at the scene before her as the flipping of the pages came to a stop. She slid over and grabbed the book, pulling it into her lap.   
 
Chorong knew she had gotten herself in deep water. The water around her was deep, and she could not afford to drown. But she didn't care. Her friend's life was at stake, and she wanted to do everything in her power to help.   
 
She found herself staring at another list. Dark black ink was printed out against the golden paper. Lines or words were scribbled down leading to one single name. It was a family tree she realized. But what use was a family tree?   
 
"Please tell me you're looking at a recipe for witch cookies." Woohyun commented behind her shoulder causing her to jump up in shock.   
 
"Oh god, you have to stop doing that? What are you doing here?" She contemplated. Her parents were right downstairs. They were worrying about the state of their daughter.   
 
The town was a derange mess. The death of Eunji had been enough. They had discovered that Eunji's body was gone, leading to another search. Naeun was reported as missing. The town was on another search. It was havoc out there. Yet here she sat, looking at charms and spells to break Naeun from the hold Jonghyun had on her.   
 
"That looks like a family tree." Woohyun bugged in looking at the list and how the deep dark lines would maneuver to another leading down a path of names. All of which started at one point.   
 
"Do you know what it is?" Chorong questioned. She could free Woohyun's breath on her shoulder and skin making her tense up as butterflies ran though her.   
 
"Yes. I do know what this is. You see the first name here," Woohyun said pointing at one of the names at the top of the list, "He was one of the Greats. Someone who we consider Royalty in the vampire world."   
 
"And what does this have to do with anything?" Chorong asked, obviously not getting the memo. Like a stack of bricks, the questions circling encompassing her brain crushed her entirely. She felt heavy. She felt disoriented, and as she sat there with Woohyun.   
 
"The Greats can't be kill like normal vampires. They're special, more powerful then the rest. And those they turn have parts of their abilities. Like Jonghyun." Woohyun said pointing to one of the names at the bottom of the list. Kim Jonghyun.   
 
"So what does this mean?" Chorong probed looking up towards Woohyun.   
 
"It means that you need to get that witchy juju powers of yours under control."