EXO High: Unrequited

EXO High

 

 
Saturday Morning at the library..
 
Kyungsoo's POV~
 
I had just arrived at the library at 9:30 in the morning and spotted Suho in one table with Luhan and Sehun.  I approached their table. 
 
"Sup, Guys. What subject are you on now?" I  asked.  They looked up to me and Suho mouthed, "English."  
Both Luhan and Sehun resumed in answering the activity sheets Suho had given them. I just then noticed that they seemed to have seated quite a few inches apart from each other to suggest they were in conflict of some sort. 
 
"By the way, Kyungsoo, where's Chen and Xiumin? I thought they will start at 8am?" Suho asked while he looked around.
I rested my hands on their table.  "Chen said it was too early so he changed their study schedule to afternoon, at 3pm." I asnwered.  
 
"But that's too late. He still has to tutor Kris and Chanyeol right after Xiumin." 
 
"Ahh, I forgot to tell you the changes.  I'm taking his turn this time.  I'm gonna tutor them today.  By the next weekend, it will be Chen."  I explained reassuring Suho.  
"You will have a lot to tutor today then? Including Kai, Tao and Baekhyun right? Do you need my help?" Suho offered with concern in his eyes.  I straightened myself up and placed my hand on his left shoulder.  
 
"Thanks but I can handle. You know I'm used to these kind of things." I reminded him since I've been a tutor to fellow students long before he asked me to join the study program.  He pressed his lips firmly before nodding.  
 
I saw Tao and Baekhyun arriving with books in hand.  I waved at them and signalled to come over.  We sat at the table right behind Suho's. "We're going to study three subjects today—" I narrowed my eyes on my wrist watch, "—we will probably end at exactly 1pm. Is it alright?"  
 
"Yep, it's fine. No worries." Baekhyun replied with excitement.  
"By the way, where is Kris?" Baekhyun asked.  
 
"Sorry guys, but Kris phoned me that he wants to sleep furthermore so I had to move their schedule in the afternoon." I frowned at my own statement.  
 
Both Baekhyun and Tao sighed in contrast.  Baekhyun was discontented while Tao was relieved.  
The four of them were supposed to have study sessions with me at the same time.  Baekhyun told me the night before that this was the right chance for Kris and Tao to interact. Exactly why I told Chen that same night that I wanted to tutor Kris and Chanyeol this weekend and asked him to focus on Xiumin instead. 
 
 I leaned closer to them with a sneaky smile,  "Oh, it's not the end of our plans yet! Chen and Xiumin! Have you forgotten?" I fussed still trying to keep my voice as low as possible yet audible for my friends. Baekhyun clapped his hands in realization and exclaimed in amusement, " Oh my god, right! Chen and Xiumin! Like finally!" 
 
I widened my eyes.  Tao did too. 
 
Baekhyun was loud. Loud enough for everyone's eyes to stare at us. Baekhyun covered his mouth in embarrassment.  "What about them?" I heard Suho asked.  "N-nothing! I just told them...something." I turned to him with a nervous smile. "Then keep it down a little." Suho curtly said before he continued reading his book.  "Sorry, Sorry." Baekhyun apologized to the other students in the library with a wry smile. 
 
As soon as everyone's attention were drawn back to their own business, I shot a furious glare at Baekhyun.  He cleared his throat and pursed his lips.  His index finger and thumb pressed against each other and it drew an imaginary line across Baekhyun's lips. He knew exactly what I meant.  To zip his mouth.  
 
 
 
~~
Kai's POV 
 
"Kai," I felt a hand shaking my arms. I groaned and tried to shoo away that annoying hand.  I arrived at the library  a little earlier than expected.  Tao & Baekhyun weren't done yet so I decided to take a nap on their table. 
 
Right when I had just fallen into my deep sleep...
 
"Kai, you idiot. We're done. It's your turn now." I turned my head to where the voice came from.  I saw Baekhyun.  "What?" I burried my face in my arms again.  "I said we're done.  It's your turn to study with Kyungsoo now." 
 
 
 
I lifted my head and began to stretch out my arms, yawning.  I rubbed my eyes for I felt a bead of tear was forming.  "How was your wet dream?" Tao teased.  "Shut up. I had a nightmare." 
 
"Really?" Tao was eager to know.  
I laid down my stretched arms and smirked at Tao who leaned closer.  "You and Kris were kissing."  He hit my arm and I winced.  I showed him my tongue and he scowled.  
 
"Don't be so mean beef. We all know you would love that to happen. Don't worry, I'll make sure Kai's nightmare will come to life." Baekhyun pat Tao's shoulder.  There was a hint of determination in Baekhyun's words while Tao just shrugged. 
 
"Please, this isn't the time to plan another scheme to attract your love interests. You stinky Beefs, go ahead and have your lunch already." Kyungsoo shoved them aside.  
 
"What about you Kyungsoo? Aren't you taking lunch? It's almost 2pm." Baekhyun said with concern.  "Nah, I'm used to eating late.  I'll eat at 2:30." Kyungsoo continued to push both of them away from our table.  I waved goodbye  to them before I pulled one chair  opposite Kyungsoo and seated.  
 
I noticed Luhan and Sehun were already gone at the next table and it was already Lay's turn.  I glanced at my wrist watch and back to whom Lay was talking to. It was Suho.
 
Have you had your lunch, Suho? I thought to myself.
I got worried. 
I puffed my cheeks and looked down on the paper Kyungsoo had placed in front of me.  
 
"English? Can we change to another subject?" I pleaded. I never once liked English.  I could understand reading English texts but the pronunciations were a hassle and seemed like tongue twisters.  The hardest amongst all tongue twisters. 
 
"No changing. English is English." he said firmly.   
I scratched the back of my head helplessly. Aish. I had no choice.  
 
Kyungsoo began pointing at the words on the paper.  I read them aloud and he corrected me if there was a word I mispronounced.  I personally despised this part since It made me sound like an abnormal little kid who just learned how to talk. I would have preferred doing this kind of lesson in private. Like maybe in my  place. Away from the judging stares of people. I made a mental note to ask Kyungsoo next time about this issue. 
 
"Oon-reh-k-ted" I read the familiar word. 
"Un-re-qui-ted" he corrected.  I followed.  
 
The word stung when I recalled its painful meaning.  I looked over to the other table and there he was.  
 
Suho.  My unrequitted love for the man who can only look me in the eyes like I was his younger brother  while I look at him longing for his love.   
 
This feeling should never had existed.  I felt it was a curse.  That it would somehow destroy my strong friendship with him if he should know.  Even without him knowing, I'm slowly turning our friendship into a mess myself by constantly shoving his hands off of me.  By rejecting his attempts to hug and all other sorts of intimate skin contact we used to do.  
 
What choice could I have? 
The more he touched me, the more I would fall for him or rather, long for him to love me back.  Something I never thought was appropriate.
Since I knew very well, even if I had done all possible things to have him fall for me, he will never look me in the eyes with the kind of love I wish he could give back.  He will never look at me like how I look at him. 
 
My view of Suho's angelic face was blocked by a pair of hands waving eagerly.  I blinked to my senses and shook my head a bit. It was Kyungsoo. 
 
"Finally you're back.  You've been dazed for a few minutes like your soul has left you." He said. 
"Oh. Well, my soul is back in me I suppose. Let's continue then." I announced.  Kyungsoo lifted his chair slightly and moved nearer to my seat.  Just enough for him to be able to whisper in my ears.  
 
"You like him, don't you?" 
 
I froze. 
 
What was I supposed to say?  I should tell him I don't.  But my mouth didn't move since I was that shocked with his sudden question.  How could he tell?  
I swear I wanted to place my hands on my face and hide there. Just hide my face in shame of being caught red handed and guilty.  I couldn't speak but I managed to shook my head with vigour.  Definitely NO I thought. The thought I wanted to convey to Kyungsoo.  
 
He leant closer and whispered again.  
"You were looking at Suho the whole time with that longing look painted on your face.  There's no way you don't."  
 
I looked at Kyungsoo in the eyes. Still, I couldn't form the perfect words to utter but he seemed to have understood what my terrified eyes wanted to say.
 
"I won't tell anyone." This time, it wasn't a whisper.  He was looking right into my eyes and allowed those words leave his mouth. 
 
It gave me an assurance that he won't.  He was  the first to know and I swear,  the last soul in this world who would ever know. 
 
I nodded slightly as a yes to his question and dropped my gaze on my legs that were intertwined. 
Kyungsoo pat my back.  
 
It felt...good? 
It was only a pat but it felt like he was telling me it was okay.  That it was okay and  alright  to feel that way for Suho. That it wasn't a curse that will destroy our friendship like how I thought it was. 
I bit my lower lip and lowered my head, still had my gaze fixed on my legs.  
 
No one ever knew what I felt.  No one ever knew I was suffering inside. Not even my bestfriend Sehun.  Although he could tell but I never told him why.  Why should I? It was pointless anyway. 
 
I blinked and a bead of tear wet my jeans followed by another.   "Don't cry here. He will be worried.  Let's just stop and eat our lunch first." I heard him whisper again.  I sniffed and wiped my tears by the back of my hand.  I made sure none was left before I stood up with Kyungsoo and faced Suho.  
 
"We're getting lunch." Kyungsoo said as he approached him.   Suho nodded as an okay.  "Did you have lunch already?" I couldn't help but ask him. I was worried. 
 
"Yes, Kai. You were asleep when I had lunch with Lay."  
 
Somehow I didn't like how that sentence ran in my thoughts.  I didn't know whether was that because I had a breakdown just a second ago or did I simply not like how he had lunch with someone and he hadn't bothered to wake me up.   Because Suho would always wake me up to eat with him.  
 
"Oh." I managed to say. "We're going now." I smiled at him bleakly while I placed my palm on Lay's shoulder as a 'hello and goodbye' greeting when I passed by his seat.  I didn't look at him and just walked straight, trailing Kyungsoo.   
 
 
~~~~~
flashback to when Lay and Suho had Lunch together..
 
Lay's POV ~
 
 
Suho sat opposite me, not touching his food.  "Lay,  someone had told me you used to be a child actor?"  he asked.  My mouth was full with the delicious steak I was chewing on.  I thought of trying to cook that recipe when I get back to my dorm.  
I tried to talk but Suho stopped me when none of my words came out right; the rice I ate did flew out of my mouth just right to land on the table though.  I nodded to answer him. 
Suho offered me his mango juice to help me swallow my food.  I gladly accepted his kind offer and drank till its half full. or  half empty.  
 
"Yes I were. Why do you ask?" Finally I was able to talk.  
Suho straightened himself up.  "Well you see, we need more actors in drama club."  
"But I'm in dance club...with Kai. You know that right?" I said.  
 
"Yes I know. But we really don't have the right cast for the male protagonist. Our male protagonist that we have selected months before had transferred to another school just yesterday.  We have only 2 and a half weeks left to prepare for the open house and knowing you fit the character and you know how to act, we thought of asking for your help to take that role."  Suho briefly explained with pleading eyes.  I really wanted to say yes immediately since he needed the help but I had a responsibility with my own club to think of.
 
"But what about my dance club? We have not finalized the steps either. I'm pretty sure we will be very busy too.  As much as I want to help you, I cannot be in both of the clubs' practices and rehearsals. I can only focus on one." I sighed, disappointed with my own reply.  I really wanted to help in any way possible.  
 
"Then choose one between us.  Dance club or Drama club?" Suho demanded.  I was shocked by the sudden question.  I gulped and  went silent for moment.
 
It was impossible to pick between the two since I loved to do both and I also wanted to help both.  I figured the safest decision was to stick to the status quo.   I sighed heavily as I was about to break to Suho my disappointing decision.  I looked at him with sorry eyes.  He looked into my eyes and reached for my hand across the table.  "Remember Lay, dance club can still perform without you.  We, the drama club,  can't."  Suho said grimly.  His statement immediately cleared my clouded thoughts.  
 
He was right.  
 
 
"But what about...what about Kai? I don't know how to tell him about this, Suho.  He will get mad at me.  I'm one of the dancers that he trusts.  I'm practically his right hand.  He will not allow me to leave them hanging at a crucial moment." I stated my worries.  
 
"Kai is like a younger brother to me. I know him too well to know how exactly am I going to tell him and have him agree with this.  If you agree to help us, I'll be the one to tell Kai.  You don't have to  worry." Suho reassured, still holding onto my hands firmly.  
 
I'm not at all close to Suho like how he is with Kai, but something just told me he wasn't the one to lie.  
 
"Okay.  I'll help you guys out." I muttered. Hoping my decision was right. 
 
 
 
A/N: 
If you're not sure what's an open house i'm talking about, it's that school event when outsiders are given free access inside the school. 
Exo members will have to showcase their talent to their guests. 
 
AND! hunhan, taoris and baekyeol will be on the move on the next chapters. ~ dont worry :> Im actually excited to write it myself 8)