Chapter 5

Suddenly In Love

 

Minho’s POV

                “Eonni, go in first, I’ll lock the door. I want to talk to… my friend first,” Krystal said to Jessica.

                So I am a friend? Yeah! She’s starting to melt for me!

                “Okay,” Jessica said and left after giving Krystal the key to their front door.

                Krystal turned around to face me, and said, “Thanks for giving me a ride on your back.”

                I smiled. “No problem. But if I feel aches tomorrow, please give me a massage,” I joked. Her lips made a small pout. “Just kidding, you were too light, so it was like carrying a bag of feathers.”

                “Just wait for me in the school’s front gate tomorrow, I might want you to carry my bag,” Krystal said coldly and went in the house.

                “Okay, BYE!” I shouted. She just sniffed and locked the door. I left without more words.

**

Krystal’s POV

                “Soojung ah, who’s him?” I heard Jessica Eonni’s voice when I close the door. I looked at her.

                “My friend,” I said. I feel something is wrong when I said he is my friend. He’s more just like my… acquaintance. Right?

                “Oh,” she nodded her head. “But why is he carrying you?”

                “I almost fell because I lost my consciousness earlier. He was just helping me, afraid if I’ll fall again,” I explained.

                “But I think he likes you,” Jessica Eonni replied. I giggled.

                “That guy? Likes me? Who cares,” I said between my giggle. “He’s just a friend to me.”

                “Okay…,” Jessica Eonni said as I walked to my room.

                I lay on my bed, feeling a bit weak. I grabbed my biology book, remembered that I will have a Biology pop quiz tomorrow. I opened the book, but suddenly I felt really sleepy. And just then, I don’t remember anything.

**

                I opened my eyes slowly, although my eyes were still heavy, but my alarm clock already rang so loud. That means it’s time for me to wake up and prepare to go to school. Then I felt that I am holding something, I looked at it with sleepy eyes, and it’s my biology book. My eyes widened. MY BIOLOGY BOOK!?

                I started flipping each page and see if I had read anything, but zero. I don’t remember that I even read a sentence from this book. Then just then I heard someone knocking on my door. “Soojung ah, wake up,” I heard my mom called me. I started panicking. My biology class is in the second period, and I have math in the first. I think I should skip class. Yeah, I’ll skip math. I took a deep breath and stood up straight.

                “Ne, Eomma. I’m awake already,” I replied her. Then I heard footsteps heading away from my room. I walked to my wardrobe and start looking for my uniform.

                I took a shower, eat breakfast and kissed my parents goodbye. I walked to school, which is not so far from my house. While walking, I was holding my book, reading it. Why biology is so hard to memorize!?

**

Minho’s POV

                I was driving my car when suddenly I saw Krystal was walking while holding a … biology book. I honked at her. She turned around in a bit of a shock. I lowered my window, and greeted her, “Morning!”

                “Yeah, morning, leave me alone,” she replied as she kept on walking after took a look at me. She’s back at reading her book. I drove my car slowly so I can still drive beside her. It’s a quiet road, so there’s not much people went through this street. “Didn’t I say to leave me alone?”

                “I don’t want to,” I replied.

                “You’re my slave remember? Go and leave me here,” Krystal said.

                I checked my watch and said, “You’re going to be late if you walk.”

                “I won’t,” Krystal replied with her still-I-don’t-care look.

                “Yes you will, the bell will ring in about 5 minutes.”

                Krystal stopped walking and looked at me. “Fine, I’ll go with you, but you must shut up all along the way.”

                “Copy that,” I replied and gave her a sign to get it to my car. She walked to the passenger seat and opened the door. She got in, and… she’s reading her book again. After everything’s set, I drove my car really fast. Krystal didn’t seem like she cares. She was too focused to her book. When we arrived, I parked my car and both of us got out of the car. I was thinking to open the door for her, but she opened it herself before I even walked to her side. “Do you have biology in the first period?” I asked her when we were going to enter the school’s main hallway.

                “No,” she replied shortly.

                “Then, what’s on your first period?” I opened the door for her. She entered first, then I followed.

                “Math.”

                “Oh, I have arts.”

                I waited for her response. But none.

                “Then why are you reading biology?”

                “None of your business.”

                “Sorry, I just wanted to know.”

                It was kinda awkward walking with someone as cold as ice that you just knew yesterday, in the hallway- where practically, almost everyone loves to gossip about the each of you two. And now, we’re walking together, and the gossips are not just about the each of us then, it is US.

                I heard someone asking her friend, like: “Is Minho dating her?”

                Or someone else is telling his friend, like: “Dude, that Choi Minho guy is with Krystal Jung now. It’s the second time people seen them together.”

                Who cares? Because when I turned my view to Krystal, there is something I wanted to know more. She was walking to the library. I followed her. When she sat on an empty desk, I sat next to her.

                “Krystal, I thought you were supposed to have math class after this,” I whispered to her.

                “So?”

                “What are you doing here?”

                She sighed. “Can’t you see I’m reading a book?”

                She glared at me, then put her attention back to the book. Suddenly I remembered my friend Taemin, he also has his biology class in the second period, so I guess maybe they’re in the same class. Taemin was also studying biology, he said he got a biology quiz today.

                “Ahh, you’re in Ms. Han’s biology class, aren’t you? So you’re having this test that she said will affect your final mark if you fail, right?” I guessed.

                “Yes, so if you know now, can you leave me here? I really need to study,” she replied. Just then the bell rang. I stood up and grabbed my bag.

                “But it’s the first period.”

                “Can’t I skip class for once?”

                “Well, in this case, sure you can.”

                “Then leave me.”

                I sat back on the chair. “I’m staying with you.”

                Krystal looked at me, who was smiling to her. I actually kinda hoping that she will smile back and say, “Thanks, Minho, you’re the best.” But that’s probably just dreaming. She will never say such things.

                “Thanks,” Krystal said. She actually said thanks. That’s unpredictable. I smiled to her and she focused on her book back.

                ‘Krystal seemed cold, but she doesn’t like being alone actually. She doesn’t like too much noise, but she likes a company.’

                I suddenly remembered what Victoria told me yesterday when I skipped class.

                Krystal is a bit weird, but somehow… I really want to dig more about her. She seemed … unique.

**

Krystal’s POV

                It was actually a nice thing that Minho didn’t leave me here. But too bad he miss art class for me. I really wanted to apologize, for troubling him. But I don’t know where to start. I just stayed quiet all along. Okay, focus Krystal, focus! BIOLOGY!

                So, the renal artery brings blood into the kidney to be filtered…

                That’s weird, Minho has been quiet all along. I looked at him, he was reading a book. Suddenly he looked back at me. Maybe he realized someone was looking at him.

                “Why are you looking at me? Mesmerized at me?” He asked me. Okay, I was going to think maybe he realized he was too loud, but I’ll take that back from my mind. Far far away.

                I sighed and back to my book. I must be focused!

                So the outer region of a kidney is called …

                “You know, I can help you memorizing this,” Minho suddenly broke my concentration. But I forgive him when I heard him saying the word ‘help’. I don’t care what kind of help it is, but I really need help. “Give me your book.”

                He took my book and read it for a while. I was curious if he can explain it to me. I don’t even sure if he takes biology class or not.

                After a few minutes pass, he put my book down. And start making his palm into the shape of a kidney.

                “Imagine this is a kidney,” he showed his folded palm. “And you have two of them,” he showed another folded palm. “So you have a pair.”

                “Err…,” he starting to get confused. “Sorry, I didn’t take biology.”

                I smiled a bit. It was kinda funny. “Then how are you going to help?”

                “By reading the book,” he replied me. “So there are a few layers, the first layer is called a…,” he turned and read my book. I laugh a little. It is kinda cute seeing someone trying to teach me biology when he doesn’t even know what he’s talking about.

                “It’s called cortex, Minho,” I said when he seemed like he’s confused about whatever he’s trying to do.

                “Right! That one! You know, you’re too smart already. Forget this biology and let’s have a little fun, you won’t regret this,” Minho said.

                “But I have biology quiz,” I replied.

                “You’ll be fine, come on,” Minho grabbed my hand and tried to pull me.

                “I still need to study,” I tried to let my hand go.

                “You’ll be depressed if you study too much, let’s go,” Minho kept holding my hand. And I kept trying to make him let go. “Trust me, you’ll messed up if you study too much.”

                I stopped struggling. That kinda make sense, I failed a math quiz once because I studied too much. Maybe I shouldn’t overdo it this time. “Alright, where are we going?”

                “Some place that only I know. Well, also my friends know, a few friends. Just Taemin, Onew,…”

                “Let’s just go,” I cut him off. “As long as that place is inside this school area, I don’t care.”

                I walked passing him, and I just saw a glance of him smiling, as if he got his victory.

**