Chapter 6

Angel Without Wings

 

/Present Day/

Woohyun POV

During lunch time, the whole classroom was empty except for Sunggyu and me.

I knew that Sunggyu liked to stay in the class during lunch to do some of his stuff before he goes to the cafeteria which is why I decided to stay back this time as well.

“Sunggyu sshi…” I said as I walked towards his desk.

“Why so formal?” He said as he looked up at me.

“Oh, sorry… Sunggyu, I want to thank you for not telling people about the fact that I lied about my vacation in America.” I said and was about to leave the classroom when he grabbed hold of my wrist lightly.

“I won’t tell anyone…it can just be our secret…but, I want to know the reason.” He said and looked deeply into my eyes.

I gulped.

What was I supposed to do?

“No...Now?” I stuttered.

“I’ll let you off to go eat your lunch…but…you can’t run away Woohyun. I want to know everything.” He said, then gave me a smile and walked out of the classroom.

“Ya! Woohyun! Were you just talking to the cute and handsome Kim Sunggyu nicknamed Hamstergyu just now?!” My best and only friend, Sungyeol said as he appeared out of nowhere in front of me.

“Hamster?” I said with a blank look on my face.

“Don’t you know? Kim Sunggyu is nicknamed ‘Hamstergyu’ by his fans! Do you know how many fans he has in and out of this school? He’s so handsome and amazingly cute, how do you know him?! I saw you two in the classroom alone just now!” He said and looked at me for answers.

“Er…We’re just classmates.” I said and left Sungyeol to pout at my answer which left him dissatisfied.

Sungyeol was my only ‘real’ friend apart from the other people who just up to me for my popularity.

This is why I treasure him a lot which means he doesn’t know a single thing about my real life because I don’t want to lose him.

Sungyeol was brought up in a happy and loving family so I know he would not understand any of my problems…and it would probably just scare him away…

We hang out mostly in school and not that much outside as I’m always scared something would happen so every time we go out I would make sure we never go near my home or anywhere my family would be seen at.

Sungyeol, being the naïve and ignorant boy he is, never questioned anything about my life and that is also one of the key reasons I’m really grateful for him being my best friend.

He always lets me forget how cruel and evil reality can be in her happy little world and I can always count on him to make me forget about everything even if it’s just for a moment.

After that person left my life, Sungyeol was the one who made it possible for me to be able to continue to live on, and I could never lose him.

 “Ya, if you become close with him, remember to introduce me okay! He’s totally my ideal type.” Sungyeol said.

/After School/

Sungyeol POV

I said goodbye to Woohyun and went with my group of friends to a nearby shopping mall.

My friends all wished Woohyun would join our group but somehow, even though Woohyun was really popular, the only friend he actually hangs out with is me.

This really worries me sometimes as I feel that Woohyun should socialize more…seeing him with Sunggyu today made me feel a little relieved as I really hope he makes more friends…and as a bonus I could get to know Sunggyu too if they really became friends.

Woohyun POV

I saw Sungyeol and his group of friends give me begging eyes for me to go with them, but I really did not like to socialize.

More friends just mean more trouble for me, and I couldn’t risk that.

It would make it harder for me to hide anything.

I was about to get ready to walk home when someone held onto my bag.

I turned around slowly to find Sunggyu smiling down at me.

There was a buff guy next to him who was smiling at me as well with amazing features.

“Sunggyu? And…” I said, not knowing what the buff guy’s name was.

I remember seeing him always with Sunggyu in school and he sat next to Sunggyu in class, but I just couldn’t remember his name.

But even though he was like a stranger to me, I felt comfortable near him as his smile made he seem very approachable.

“I’m Howon! I’m Sunggyu’s best friend; I’m in your class as well! You can just call me Hoya.” He said and smiled again.

 “Let’s go!” Sunggyu said and grabbed on my wrist and started walking.

“Where are we going?” I asked, but Sunggyu just acted like he didn’t hear me.

“Forgive Sunggyu; he’s always like this, doing whatever he wants.” Hoya whispered and gave me an apologetic face.

“Why are we here?” I asked when we reached a restaurant.

“I’m hungry.” Was all Sunggyu said and I sat opposite Sunggyu and Hoya.

What does he being hungry have to do with me?

“Aren’t you hungry?” Sunggyu asked me and I shook my head.

He just shrugged and ordered some food for him and Hoya.

“Ya Sunggyu, it’s so rude to just bring Woohyun here and not tell him why you are doing this!” Hoya finally said.

“Is it?” Sunggyu said and continued, “Woohyun, you understand that we need to have a little talk later right? But I’m really hungry so I need some food first…”

At that moment my phone rang and seeing that the caller ID was my mum, I quickly picked up the phone, “Yes, mum?”

“You’re going to be late coming home right? You better not let me catch you hanging out with friends…” She said threateningly.

“I know.” I said and hung up.

Sunggyu and Hoya had finished eating and we went out of the restaurant.

“Sunggyu, Woohyun, I’ll be leaving first, see you tomorrow!” Hoya said and left.

“So, should we talk as I walk you home?” Sunggyu asked.

“Erm…I have to go somewhere later, so why don’t we just find somewhere to sit and talk?” I said and we went to a nearby park.

“So, why did you lie to everyone about going to America? Why couldn’t you say the truth?” Sunggyu asked.

“I couldn’t risk anyone knowing where I was really going…I didn’t want to bump into anyone during the holidays…” I said.

“But you bumped into me.” Sunggyu said and I nodded before saying, “It was unexpected… Let’s just say my life isn’t what it really seems like on the outside.”

“What do you mean? You’re one of the most popular people in the school, you come from a wealthy background and more, how more perfect could your life be?” Sunggyu said.

I shook my head slowly. You see?

No one would understand, because to them, what’s on the outside is the truth so whatever I say doesn’t matter.

“You know what Sunggyu? It doesn’t matter…I just hope you won’t let anyone know about you bumping into me during the holidays…” I said, hoping to end the conversation about my life.

“Sure, no problem.” Sunggyu replied and gave me his signature smile which made his eyes turn into crescents.

Honestly, I never saw someone like him who smiled so much.

Wasn’t it tiring? And how could you have so many things to smile about?

To me, smiling is like a chore, and what’s the point if I have nothing to be happy about?

“Thank you, Sunggyu. I have to get going now.” I quickly said and got up to leave when I heard him call out to me.

“Woohyun!” He called out and I turned around abruptly.

“I hope we can be good friends.” He said with a smile.

How could I say no to whatever he says?

I nodded shyly and left.

I couldn’t bear to be late…

 


 

finally present day.

gawd i feel like my writing is so shiity, totally demotivates me :(