Place Your Bets

TEACHING MR. KWON

A/N: my peace offering albeit due update to the bully of my life, CLARA aka iznaberry... LOL

 

 

 

 

Dara came home in a good mood.


"Heorin~ah, good evening!" Dara cheerfully greets the maid who opened the door for her.


Heorin is taken aback by the sudden change in Dara's mood, she was rather expecting a gloomier Dara. She replies "Good evening, Dara-ssi"


Dara proceeds to the stairs, but stops at the first step. Looking back at the still puzzled maid.


"Heorin~ah" Dara says, the smile still on her face.


"Yes, Dara~ssi?" And when Dara raised a brow at her, she sighs "Dara~ah"


"Did my unnies say if they'll come home and have dinner here tonight?"


"Byul~ssi still has a shoot, she might come home really late"


"Is that so?" The news slightly dimmed Dara's jovial mood "I'll just send her a message to not forget to eat dinner."


"Bom~ssi is here. We were instructed to prepare the dinner for you two."


The smile on her face returns "Great! Thanks." Dara then went ahead up the stairs and into her room.







~oOo~






Once she had the door of her room closed, her bags down at the side, Dara throws herself on her bed. She hugs one of her pillows and starts to roll on the bed back and forth, giggling in delight.


Oppa's really back! He's really, really back!


Dara thinks to herself, panting, as she stares at the ceiling of her room. Imagining Won Bin's face. Fits of giggles fill the room again.


She still feels elated over the fact that Won Bin returned to Korea, had lunch with her, albeit a disastrous one because of a jerk named, Kwon Jiyong, who surprisingly is related to her prince. Last but definitely not the least of all, Won Bin said that he wants to meet up with her again. Sitting up on the bed, a thought enters her mind.


Wait. Does that mean, oppa wants to go out on a date with me?


Dara blushes at the notion and giggled some more. Rising from the bed, she goes to her closet and takes out a new set of clothes she could change into.


The expression on the image she sees reflecting inside the mirror, is the same one she had when she first met Won Bin, years ago. Eyes sparkling, cheeks flushed, a silly smile that she can't remove, on her lips.


Dara is instantly hit by a memory she helds dear. Her special memory with her prince.






She was a timid girl years before. Someone who blends in the crowd too much, no one would even take notice of her. Dara was fine with it. She abhor the attention her sisters gets. Not wanting to feel suffocated by the popularity they get. She could live without it.

But Won Bin paid attention to her, when no one outside her family did. She was seated down a bench at the school, alone as usual, quietly reading a book.

“Can I take a seat?” Someone asks.

“Sure” She answers without raising her gaze from the book she’s reading. Then mutters under her breath “It’s not like I own the bench”

She stiffens when she hears an all too familiar laughter. Taking a peek from the corner of her eye, and her heartbeat doubled as she realized who just sat down beside her.

It was him.

The same guy, she saw a week ago by the park.


_________


It was a weekend, and she and her family goes out for a family picnic. After the meal and catching up, their parents leave them to take a stroll along the waters, walking hand in hand. While her sisters talk about boys, fashion, boys, in that specific order. Byul and Bom asks her to join in, but she's the one who declines, as always.


"I'll just go over that tree, unnie" She tells Byul and Bom, clutching the book she brought and a folded blanket, under one arm, while pointing to a tree with her other.

"Are you sure you don't want to stay?" Bom asks making a cute face. The same one she uses on their parents or to anyone else for that matter, when she wants things to go her way. And it works. Except with her.

She shakes her head then glances downwards, staring at the grass at her shuffling feet. She began to chew on her lower lip. She doesn't see a reason for her to stay and listen to a conversation totally alien to her. She'd rather immersed herself in the world her book provides.

Byul takes a look at the direction, where Dara is pointing at, sighs and gives a nod "Just be back after thirty minutes ok?"

Nodding, a sweet smile appears on her face. Much later, Dara is already seated on top of the blanket she brought. Fifteen minutes had passed the only sound was her flipping the pages of the book, besides the sounds coming from nature. Raising her eyes, she smiles as she sees her parents not far from where she is, cuddling, and looking extremely happy and in love.

I wish I could meet my own prince, who'd sweep me off my feet.

She has this secret fantasy inside her head, where she's a lonely princess locked up, waiting for her dashing prince to come rescue her. Not one living soul knows about it.

I'd rather die than let my unnies know about it. They'll have a reason to bug me more about stuff.

Stuff is what fashion stands for her. Something insignificant. It goes almost to the bottom of her personal list of the things that she thinks are important. She yearns for a prince that will like her for being herself.

Sighing , she goes back to her reading. Her silent sanctuary however was disturbed when a group of boys is making their way towards the open field nearby. They were goofing around with each other. Her forehead creasing as the group is too rowdy for her own taste.

My prince wouldn't be with such a group.

She tried to concentrate once more on her book, but the noise that they were creating is starting to grate on her nerves. Puffing her cheeks and as she breathes in deeply to calm herself and began to count slowly. When that didn't work, she recited the English alphabet, backwards.

That didn't work. She decided to go back to her sisters. Setting the book aside, she stood up and started to fold the blanket.

Then she heard someone chuckle. It sounds masculine.

All that time she has been facing towards the tree. She faces around, and instantly her eyes widen as she comes face to face to the most gorgeous guy she has ever laid eyes on. She suddenly hears some drums beating nearby. So loud that it seems to be pounding inside her ear. Then she realizes, it was her own heart beating hard inside her chest, she’s afraid that it might pop out from her chest.

“Did we disturb you?” He smiles down at her.

My prince.

When he did, her knees feel weak. dry.

“N-no” She stutters, her face turning red at the way he was gazing at her. For the first time she felt conscious on her appearance. 

His smile widens, making her heart skip a beat once more. And her face feels hotter than before. It was difficult for her to gaze at him directly.

“Dara~ah, we’re leaving!” Bom calls out her name.

“I’ll go ahead” She says. 

Sprinting away from the tree and her prince, she feels torn between relief and disappointment. 


______________



Now however, the same face that plagued her dreams for the past week is now staring at her, with amusement in his eyes, as he sits beside her.

“D-do I have something on my face?” She dares to ask.

“You’ve certainly become feisty, Dara~ah”

OMG! Did he just say my name? He knows my name!

“My name’s Won Bin” 

He extends his hand for a shake. Reluctantly she places hers. And when she did, her heart went along with it.







“Oppa’s really back!” Dara exclaims, as her hands went to her blouse to take a shower and change clothes.






~oOo~





Dara is running her fingers through her still damp her as she walks back to her room. She jumps back a bit to see Bom lounging on the edge of her bed, legs crossed and a tickled pink expression on her face.


“I heard someone went home happy” Bom teases.


Like an excited kid, she went towards her bed, and hugs Bom tightly, giggling she tells Bom the news “Won Bin oppa’s back, unnie”


“I know. I saw him this morning”


“Oppa came here?” For some reason, Dara’s heart starts to beat fast “Why?”


“He was looking for you. Asking where you work” 


“He did?” The giddiness she feels is bubbling up again.


Bom nods. Dara’s excitement didn’t escape Bom’s observant eyes. A thought enters her mind.


“Dara~ah” Bom coos, a naughty smile spreads on her face.


“Unnie?” 


“Can I borrow your phone?”


“My phone?” Dara is confiused but still stood up and went to where her purse is, takes her phone out and hands it over to Bom.


“Let’s invite Won Bin for tomorrow”


Bom’s next statement confused her more “Eh?”


“We planned to go to Lotte World” Bom rolls her eyes, seeing Dara’s blank stare.


“We did?”


“Yes, and you agreed to it!” Bom explains further “I told you about it right after I returned”


Originally, it was Jiyong whom Bom has in mind, to bring along so that Dara won’t feel left out. But now that Won Bin’s back, she changes her option. 


Dara likes Won Bin. He’s her first love. She’s aware of it, after accidentally stumbing upon Dara’s doodling on a paper. 


“Call him” Bom hands the phone back to Dara.


Dara frowns at the way her unnie is smiling. It means that she’s up to something. Bom knows exactly when Dara understood what she said. 


“Noooo!!! “ Dara says after her brain was able to process what her unnie wants her to do“Why would I call oppa?”


“Invite him”


Dara tries to wheedle her way out of it “I can’t. I don’t know oppa’s number.” 


“I already dialed his number for you” Bom says calmly, pointing at Dara’s phone.


Quickly taking a glance at her phone, the surprise look is now replaced by a horrified one as it shows her call is being connected. Before she could cancel the call though, Won Bin’s voice came through the line.


“Hello?”


“Oppa!” Dara answers, throwing her sister a seething look. Then she hears some sound from the background that tells that he’s out. One of the distant voice she hears even resembles the voice of the jerk, Kwon Jiyong. “I’m sorry if I disturbed you. I’ll just call again”


“Oh.” 


Bom mouthed the words ‘invite him’. Dara shakes her head and mouthed back ‘No’. 


When Bom moves to snatch the phone from her, Dara blurts out a quick “Can you go with me to Lotte World tomorrow?”


Dara, who just took a shower, starts sweating bullets, waiting for the reply. 


She wanted so much to faint after hearing her oppa’s answer. Bom then gives a smug smile. Knowing she wins this time, seeing Dara’s lips stretch into a smile. 


Angels seemed to have come down to earth and sing in celebration for her. She utters a sweet “Goodnight oppa. See you tomorrow.”


Dara lets out a girly squeal the second the call ended, and then threw herself at Bom for a hug.


“Unnie! He said yes. Oppa said yes!” She started giggling again like a school girl “Thank you!”


Bom hugs Dara back, a genuine smile on her face, seeing how giddy Dara is for tomorrow. Pulling back, she says “Now, can we have dinner. I’m starving”







~oOo~







As the night got deeper, Dara is now lying down on her bed, wide awake. A lot of thoughts are running through her head. But mainly, they were thoughts for tomorrow. Finding it difficult to sleep , now that she’s dying of anticipation for tomorrow’s event.


“Me and oppa on a data?” Burying her face on the pillow she’s hugging tightly, as if by doing such, she could quell the rapid beating of her heart.


Later, Dara is breathing evenly.







Byul arrives home, close to midnight. Rubbing the knot on her neck, she treads down the hall towards her room, stopping right in front of Dara’s room. Fishing out the phone from her pocket, she taps it against her pursed lips. And then she dials a number she copied secretly from Dara days ago.


“Hello, this is Park Han Byul, Dara’s sister, we’ve already met” A mischievous smile appears on her face “This may sound too much, but can I ask you a favor?”






~oOo~







So I can make her mine


His hyung’s last statement seemed to reverberate inside his head. Jiyong could feel his head bloating up and wanting to explode. The thought of his hyung and the Witch, becoming a couple, right in front of his very eyes, appalls him. 


He drops the subject. 


Jiyong takes a swig of the beer. Grimacing when the liquid hit his tongue, it tasted funny. It was sweet, not like the usual bitter taste it is known for. The taste he’s fond of. He settles the bottle down at one side, grabs another bottle, this time it’s the harder liquor. 


He pours himself a shot, then another one. He didn’t know how many shots he’d already made, until Seunghyun stops his arm from reaching the bottle again. It was only then that he realized that the he’d guzzled about a quarter of the bottle.


Seunghyun sees how a muscle at Jiyong’s jaw pulses right after Won Bin expressed his intentions to Dara clearly. He just couldn’t point his finger at it yet, there’s definitely something fishy going on, sensing how Won Bin’s statement displeased Jiyong. Too much, that Jiyong was drinking the cognac like it was water.


“So hyung, YOU knew little rabbit way before?” Seunghyun asks Won Bin but is keep tabs on Jiyong.


“Yeah, I knew her from way before I went to the States and studied” Won Bin’s face suddenly looked nostalgic. 


“Really?”


“I was with you guys the first time I saw her.”


“We were?” Jiyong asks, unable to stop himself from asking.


“Yes. Then I saw her again when I went to your school”


Seunghyun recalls the times Won Bin will drop by at their school and disappears for a few minutes, and returning with a smile on his face “I saw you talking to a girl before, but I only got a glimpse of her back. Was she the girl?”


Won Bin nods “I never thought that the three of you know each other. How did that happen?”


Seunghyun is waiting for Jiyong’s reply, when Won Bin’s phone suddenly rings.


“Hello?”


Jiyong pours another shot, almost filling the glass to the brim. He was drinking it when he catches his hyung say “Little rabbit”, causing him to almost spit his drink. His hand grips the glass tightly it looked like it was about to break and sets it down with too much force on the table. 


“No you’re not disturbing me. Why did you call?”


Won Bin looks happier as the call went on, while Jiyong’s face couldn’t get darker than it already is. Seunghyun darts his glances back and forth between the two. 


“Tomorrow?” Taking his time to answer, teasing the person on the other line “I’m free anytime for you.”


Jiyong’s brow connects so much, it’s close to a straight line.


“Good night, my little rabbit.”


Jiyong stops himself from shivering from disgust at the sweet way he heard his hyung bid goodnight to the witch. And that snap the last strand he has on his sanity.


“Are you sure about your little rabbit hyung?” Jiyong questions quietly.


“If it’s my feelings for her, then yes, I am sure. She's the one who urged me to go after my dreams and study abroad. Is there a problem Ji?”


“I don’t know, maybe, she’s not right for you?"


“Eh? What makes you say that?”


“You knew her when she’s like what? Fifteen? People change. Maybe she’s not the same rabbit you knew then”


“She’s still the same. More beautiful, in fact. But she’s still the same little rabbit I knew of. Innocent. Pure.”


“You don’t know how naughty your rabbit has been for the past month.” Jiyong mumbles. Remembering the cuffs and kisses they've shared.


“Hyung! I can’t follow what you guys are talking about” Seungri wears an exasperated expression “Who the heck is little rabbit? Wait, is little rabbit a person in the first place?”


“Yes, little rabbit is a person. And she’s someone special to me.” Won Bin answers


Young Bae joins in, he also got curious seeing Jiyong’s reactions “Is little rabbit, your girlfriend, hyung?”


“I hope she will” Won Bin smiles meaningfully “Soon”


“Does, little rabbit have a name?” Daesung chimes in.


Won Bin checks his watch, seeing the time, he stands up “I have to go. I have a date tomorrow at Lotte World”


“Hyung!” Suengri whines “Her name!”


“Dara. Sandara Park” Won Bin left without glancing back at the table. Little did he know, Jiyong looks like a person out for blood. Won Bin’s blood specifically.







~oOo~





“What?” Jiyong barks once he notices that four pair of eyes were staring at him.


Young Baefollows “Dara Park you dated?”


“Dara Park, Seunghyun hyung’s new secretary?”


“Dara Park, the Sandara Park, your ex-secretary?” Seungri blurts out. The news is a shock for him. 



DING! 



Seunghyun absorbs the statement from the maknae. 


DARA aka BOM’S SISTER aka HIS SECRETARY aka JIYONG’S EX SECRETARY aka WON BIN’S LITTLE RABBIT = DISASTER!


Seunghyun bellows, imagining how things will turn out “Yah! Jiyong, why did you tell me before that you didn’t know each other?”


“She was the one who requested it. Ask her”


“Eh? Didn’t you also act like you didn’t know about her, when you were forcing us to tell you who’d be maknae’s date?” Daesung interrogates next


“I didn’t say anything at all. You just assumed I didn’t.”


Young Bae “Because you said nothing!”


“Bae, I think you better stop hanging around too much with maknae. You’re starting to become a gossipmonger” Jiyong sardonically quips.


More questions would’ve been raised, if not for Jiyong’s phone suddenly ringing.


“Hello?” Scowling he answers, the number he sees on the screen is a number he doesn’t recognize. 


The four occupants of the table, skirted as close as possible, vainly doing their best to eavesdrop on the call, that seemed to bear good news. After the call, Jiyong is smirking.


Bracing his hands on the seat, he pushes himself up “I need to go home. I just received an invitation.” Facing Seunghyun “Well, hyung, let’s see each other at Lotte World”


“What?!?!?” All the blood in his body seem to have been drained “Yah! Jiyong! Jiyong!” He kept calling out to the younger guy, who only raised a hand and waved goodbye.






~oOo~




The two couples are now seated at a bench while Dara, Jiyong and Won Bin went and ordered food for everyone. It’s been hours since they’ve been roaming around the whole amusement park. 


"I want Dara and Won Bin to get hitched" Bom blurts out as she watches how the two interacts "They look good together."


Byul raises a brow "I think Jiyong is perfect for her."


"Perfect? Unnie, they were at each other's throat minutes ago!"


"That's why I want Jiyong for her. He brings out Dara's true self" Byul retorts.


"Dara's just not aware that she's attracted to Jiyong" Dong Wook adds.


Crossing her arms by her chest, Bom gives Byul and Dong Wook a challenging stare "So you're betting that Dara will choose Jiyong?"


"She will" Byul confidently answers.


Bom faces to her right, where Seunghyun is seated "Honey, you'll side with me right?"


Seunghyun felt three pairs of eyes boring through his soul right now. Taking his time in giving out an answer. His life depends on it. 


He opens his mouth and answers “Won Bin’s a very good catch” 


GOD! WHAT HAVE I GOTTEN MYSELF INTO? WHY AM I EVEN HERE?





Ten tables away, somewhere hidden from the group, three guys were huddled, eating hotdogs and fries.


"Hyung!" Seungri calls the attention of the other two


"Hmmm" Daesung moans, chewing
.

"Let's make a bet"


Young Bae places down the cup of cola, he meant to take a sip from "Bet?"


"A bet" Seungri smiles playfully "I'm betting that Won Bin hyung will get the girl"


"Jiyong will get her" Young Bae counters confidently.


"Jiyong hyung is indeed a player, he may have the advantage over Won Bin hyung in that area. He knows women too well" Daesung answers after a few minutes, weighing things "But I think I'll go side with maknae this time. Won Bin hyung is the ideal guy for most girls. And witnessing how things have been going for the past hours we've been following them, I can say, Won Bin hyung got this in the bag."

 

 

____________________________

 

wuhahahaha
such a crappy update

THOUGHTS and COMMENT
are welcome and appreciated

THANK YOU
as always for reading

 

p/s 

If you guys didn’t know about the beer thing

some say that it tastes bitter, when a person drinking it is happy or problemfree

and sweet when they’re not

 

will post personal replies on the next chapter (^___^)