HIS FAVOR

THE PROMISE

 

"Yes! I saw them walk together to the clothing store Chaerin worked at! Are they going out now? I mean, they looked like they are because they were holding hands!" Jongin asked Eun Mi for confirmation.
"I don't think so. Well at least that's what she told me and I trust her." Eun Mi told Jongin although she felt uneasy about the discussion topic they're having during dinner.
"Oh that's where Baekhyun went! After classes were over, he hurriedly left the room. I asked him where he was going but he just smiled. He looked very elated though." Kyungsoo said and ate his hot spicy ramen. "Anyways, do you guys know why Chaerin and Chanyeol broke up?"
"I heard that Chanyeol cheated on Chaerin with some girl from his class, I think her name is Soo Min, during their study tour. Then during a party, Chaerin found..." Jongin said.
"Hey stop spreading rumors! I don't think Chanyeol would do that. I mean, if he was really that kind of person, he would not stand beside Chaerin for two long years!" Joonmyun interrupted Jongin.
"But I think that's pretty reasonable, considering the fact that they've been together for too long that..." Jongin said and quickly stopped talking as he saw Chanyeol walked in the house.
"Hey everyone! What are we having for dinner?" Chanyeol asked as he grabbed a seat beside Sehun.
"We're having ramen." Kyungsoo replied. The whole table became quiet as they did not know what to do. They never asked Chanyeol about his relationship status as usually he would fake a smile and try changing the subject. As everyone ate in silence, Baekhyun stormed in the house as he was humming to the tune of his favorite song.
"Hey why are you so happy? Is it because you just met Chaerin?" Jongin joked but quickly covered his mouth in astonishment. He forgot that Chanyeol was there.
"Good guess." Baekhyun said and smiled. "Hey, I'm going to my room, I'm not hungry. Bye guys!" He ran up to his room.
Jongin sighed in relief as Chanyeol did not look up at all as if he was not listening. However, everyone else gave Jongin a death stare as they knew Chanyeol was only pretending. Chanyeol could not forget Chaerin as they have been together for a long time. He missed her voice, her laughter and even her crazy ideas he was forced to concur with. He missed being there for Chaerin when she needed help the most, but now, Baekhyun was there for her. Chanyeol hated himself for not stopping when she walked away.
"Hey guys, thanks for the great dinner, I'm going to sleep now. See you all tomorrow." Chanyeol said, breaking the silence. He picked up his bag from the floor and staggered his way upstairs. He stopped as he was about to put his hand on his room's door handle. Chanyeol looked towards the room beside his own and instead opened the door to Baekhyun's room.

He entered the room to find Baekhyun in his phone either playing a game or texting someone, most probably Chaerin.
"Hey Chanyeol, whaddup?" He said as he looked up from his phone screen.
"Umm, nothing much.." Chanyeol said looking nervous. Chanyeol had been thinking about Chaerin and Baekhyun this whole time. He regretted the time when Baekhyun took Chaerin away from him however he realized that he could not take back the things that have happened.
"Baekhyun, how is Chaerin doing?" Chanyeol asked him straight to the point. He was concerned of Chaerin but his pride would not let him start looking for her.
"Umm, other than the fact that she's thinner now, she pretty much looks the same. Do you want to see her? I think I'm seeing her for lunch tomorrow." Baekhyun answered as he returned to texting. It strucked Chanyeol. He hated the fact that he was hurting Chaerin from the inside but could not seem to make anything better.
"Look, can you please take care of Chaerin for me?" Chanyeol said to Baekhyun with a serious expression plastered on his face. Chanyeol realized that Baekhyun was his only hope. He just wanted Chaerin to be happy and if that means she has to be with someone else, so be it.
Baekhyun was shocked to see how serious Chanyeol was. He never saw him this way before although they have been friends since forever.
"What do you mean?" Baekhyun stopped texting and sat up straight.
"Just make sure she eats well, gets picked up and all that thing." Chanyeol said quietly. Baekhyun just looked at Chanyeol's sad face and stayed speechless.
"Chaerin looks strong even when she's hurt. You have to be able to stay beside her at all times and be her shield when she needs you. You'll never know her true feelings until she opens her heart for you. I believe you'll be able to do that for me right?" Chanyeol said looking straight into Baekhyun's eyes.
Baekhyun was really surprised at how Chanyeol showed his concerns towards Chaerin. He can really feel Chanyeol's sincerity but at the same time he did not want Chanyeol to take Chaerin away from him. He appreciated Chanyeol for trusting Chaerin to him and he promised himself that he will not disappoint his friend.
"Umm, I just wanted to say that... And please make her happy. I know I have failed, but I am sure you will be able to protect her." Chanyeol said and left Baekhyun's room with a bitter smile on his face.