A BACKSTAGE TOUR

THE PROMISE

 

“Finally! Here take this tag and pin it on your shirt. This will enable access to all of the artists’ dressing rooms.” Kibum handed Chaerin a tag when he saw her enter the KBS building. Chaerin obeyed Kibum’s instructions and pinned the tag on her shirt. It was written “staff”. Kibum started walking towards the hallway where all the dressing rooms are. Chaerin followed behind him quietly as she gazed around the interior of the building. Both of them entered the first door and there was f(x). F(x) was a quintet consisted of Luna, Amber, Krystal, Sulli and Victoria. Chaerin recognized the band and felt very touched that she could finally see them in flesh.  They were all busy putting on their mikes until Kibum cleared his throat. The whole group stopped whatever they were doing and faced Kibum.

“Hey Kibum! What’s up?” Amber asked Kibum in a friendly manner.

“Okay guys, this is Chaerin. She’s my friend from college and you will be working closely with her. As you all know, you all will be having a special stage next week and I have picked a song for you.” Kibum announced to the group. The group all smiled at Chaerin.

“Annyonghaseo, Chaerin-imnida.” Chaerin said and bowed to them.

“So Chaerin will be re-arranging the music to the song I picked and give it some f(x) flairs.”

Chaerin shot Kibum a cold stare. He never told her about this. Kibum just looked at Chaerin and gave her a reassuring eye contact. After the sudden announcement, Chaerin followed Kibum to see SHINee who was also going to perform that day. As they both walked through the small hallway, Kibum suddenly stopped and bowed as he greeted “Annyonghaseo Tiffany sunbaenim!”

Chaerin was not paying attention. She was busy reading the music score Kibum gave her earlier, trying to work on it so that she could give f(x) the song sooner.

“Hey! What brought you here? I thought you’re back in Cali?” Tiffany gave Kibum a friendly hug.

“Dad told me to work on things here. I’m on summer break anyways, so I decided to give it a shot. It’s not too bad actually!”

Tiffany and Kibum kept on chatting lively as Chaerin was busy with herself. Tiffany was a very outgoing person, she’s like the celebrity within the celebrity world.  She connects people. That was why she was loved both on screen and off screen.

"Tiffany sunbaenim! We're starting live in 10 minutes." A deep husky voice was heard from afar.
"Oh, Chanyeol-ah! Here come greet my friend Kibum! He came to visit from the states!" Tiffany took Chanyeol's right arm and directed him towards Kibum. Both of them shook hands awkwardly.
"Hey Kibum, I don't quite get this part right here..." Chaerin nudged Kibum while she still kept her nose glued to the music score. Kibum glanced over at the papers she was holding and started explaining to her. As Tiffany was briefing Chanyeol one last time before their first broadcast, he gazed at Kibum and the girl beside him. Her long straight dark hair with blonde streaks felt familiar to him. Her small figure reminded him of someone he missed. Without hesitation, he blurted out, "Chaerin?"
Chaerin looked up to the voice and stopped whatever she was doing. Chanyeol was relieved knowing that he called the right person. Chaerin's heart leaped. Maybe because she was shocked to see Tiffany's hand over her boyfriend's shoulders, or because she was happy that they could finally see each other. But none of that mattered to her anymore as she saw Chanyeol politely shrugged off Tiffany's hand and spread his arms. Chaerin ran to him and gave him a big hug. She missed his embrace. For a second, the surreal world Chaerin lived in felt normal again. Time seemed to turn back to the days they lived together when they could spend most of their time together. Both of them did not utter anything as words were not enough to express their feelings.
"You guys know each other?" Kibum asked out of curiosity. Chaerin hesitated. She remembered when Chanyeol told her that revealing relationships to the public can ruin an artist's career. She just pouted and bit her lower lip. Her right eye glanced towards Tiffany. Chaerin was not too happy with how Tiffany lurked around Chanyeol. She tightened her grip on Chanyeol's arm and took a tiny step closer to him. Chanyeol saw his girlfriend's reaction and quickly understood.

“Umm she’s…” Chanyeol started talking until Chaerin interrupted him.

“We’re going out.”

“Yes, she’s my long time girlfriend.” Chanyeol confirmed.

Tifanny and Kibum looked at each other for a second and both said “Oooooh” collectively.
"It's funny how we’re all connected without knowing that we all are! The world is such a small place!" Tiffany remarked happily and clapped her hands.

“Tifanny, Chanyeol, we’re going live in 60 seconds! Go on stage now!” The PD of the show shouted from afar. Chanyeol let go of Chaeirn’s hand and quickly took out the cue cards from his back pocket.

“You guys heard the big guy! Bye! We’ll see you around after this!” Tifanny smiled and took Chanyeol’s hand. Chaerin saw both of them walked away. Tiffany whispered something to Chanyeol and Chanyeol replied with some very funny gestures. Chaerin sighed and frowned. Kibum who then said “Let’s go and see SHINee now…”

Chaerin nodded and walked slowly behind him. Kibum knew something was wrong and grabbed Chaerin by the shoulders. “Hey, wipe that frown away from your face! We’re seeing SHINee! You should be elated!” Kibum joked. Chaerin faked a smile at her best friend’s attempt of cheering her up.

“Yes I will! Can I get Onew’s autograph?” Chaerin asked.

“Of course you could! Anything is possible with me!” Kibum answered and both of them laughed together. 

 

"This isn't exactly how I planned on welcoming you back..." Chanyeol passed the coke he just bought from the vending machine. They were both in the MCs dressing room after the end of the broadcast. Tiffany was supposed to be there, but she “excused” herself, trying to let Chaerin and Chanyeol spend time together. Chaerin was sitting cross legged on a black chair as Chanyeol was leaning on the makeup table. Chaerin looked at him and muttered, “What was your plan?”

“I was thinking of surprising you at home and then giving you this…” Chanyeol took out a gold peacock hair pin from his bag.   

“Ohhh… This is so pretty… Thank you jagi!” Chaerin replied and then put the hair pin on her hair. “Does it look good on me?”

“Of course! It’s very jjang!” Chanyeol laughed and pushed his bangs away from his forehead. Chaerin looked at Chanyeol and felt… strange. She felt weird looking at her boyfriend covered in heavy makeup with such a delicate hairdo. Or looking at him dressed in dark blue skinnies with a mesh metallic top and a blue studded jacket. Chanyeol has never been the guy to dress in such uncomfortable outfits. She realized how much Chanyeol went through just to get the job of his dreams.  

“Are you free after this? Or you’re still tired from the long flight?” Chanyeol broke Chaerin’s train of thoughts. "Should we have dinner together?" Chanyeol offered. Chaerin squeaked quietly to herself at the offer. She was waiting for him to ask her. She turned her head and found her boyfriend's smiling face.
"Well, since I am free, sure!" Chaerin answered coolly to hide her excitement. "Where are we going to eat?"
"Hmm, I'm thinking the Korean restaurant close to home. I miss eating bimbimbab! Haven't had those in a while!"
"Same here! I miss eating deokbukki, samgyupsal, bimbimbab and nakjibokkeum! And oh ‎​kimchi-jigae too!" Chanyeol laughed at how cute he found his girlfriend to be.
"If you eat all of those, you'll get chubbier jagi!" He pinched Chaerin's cheeks in a teasing manner. Chaerin inflated both of her cheeks in a failed attempt of doing aegyo.
"So I'll pick you up at our home at six is that good?" Chanyeol asked.
"Our home... I like the sound of it..." Chaerin told Chanyeol, while she nods, and gave him a warm smile.
"Bear hug?" Chanyeol spread out his arms.
Chaerin hopped off the chair and gave Chanyeol a big hug. She laughed and remarked "Oh god this is so random and cheesy!"
Suddenly the door flew open and Kibum entered the room in his usual diva-ish manners. Chaerin rapidly pushed Chanyeol away from him. The room’s atmosphere became awkward as it was obvious that Kibum saw both of them hugging. Chanyeol looked away from Chaerin and Chaerin pretended to be admiring herself in the mirror.
"Chaerin! We have work to do! Krystal and Luna needs to see you!" Kibum commanded Chaerin.

Chaerin immediately picked up all of her things and shoved them all unsystematically in her tote bag.

“Oh okay, umm Chanyeol I’ll see you later!” Chaerin waved both of her hands and quickly left the room. Chanyeol just smiled at her and then looked at Kibum who was looking at him intently.

“Yes?” Chanyeol asked Kibum who kept on staring at him.

“You guys are poor actors.” Kibum walked out the door and glanced at Chanyeol one last time.

“What was that?” Chanyeol thought to himself. He knew he was in quite a bad business because the boss of the entertainment industry seemed to not like him. But why?