Chapter 8 *Let there be Light*

X.kuse

 

Yeeeessshhh!!

Fiiiiinally I can update! :D Sowwy for the wait guys!

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

In the last few days, training for the award show had been the girl’s main activity. When they weren’t practicing with the guys at the company, they practiced at the dorm, giving each other tips on how to not look stupid while dancing, amongst other things. They’d even started ignoring some of their other training schedule, reasoning that preparing for the award show was their top priority now. They would get up at whatever hour they felt like, head to the company to do something productive and then close the day off with an intense training with EXO. Els was feeling strangely positive about the whole thing. She wasn’t the best dancer out there but, with Baekhyun’s support and Riki’s advice, she was pulling it off pretty darn well.

 

Baekhyun wasn’t even supposed to have been her partner in the first place. Baekhyun was only a little taller than Els which, according to crazy-dance-teacher-Noah, would mean a disturbance in the balance of the performance and therefor a big no no. Baekhyun however, apparently didn’t agree with this philosophy because the moment Noah had told everybody to pair up, he had grabbed Els’ wrist and pulled her over to his side.

 

Els was really confused with the boy at first but realized what he was trying to do when he started sneaking the two of them towards the back of the group while the various other couples were forming. It was only when they got there that he asked her whether she was okay with dancing with him. Els wasn’t exactly the rule-breaking type but figured Baekhyun was making an effort so she might as well run along with it. Also, she kind of really wanted to dance with Baekhyun the most out of everyone.

 

Well, it had been a good call because Els and Baekhyun were doing really well together. It had been quite strange for Els in the beginning and the way she was told to move her body around Baekhyun felt awkward but Baekhyun had made it so much easier on her by just being himself. He would joke around, making her less nervous when he could and he was serious at the more complicated parts, when he needed to. He was undeniably patient with her and helped her out when she didn’t get something from the first try. He would even ask to practice with her in his free time. In the end, she felt like she couldn’t have had a better dance partner and even though she didn’t really understand why anyone would pick her as a partner, Els was extremely happy Baekhyun did.

 

“Okay.” Noah sighed. “Everyone take a break!” He turned off the music and everyone went for a short break. Noah was a difficult man to please. They’d been rehearsing for three days now and not one time had he said anything positive about anyone’s performance. The best you could get out of him was: ‘That wasn’t as bad as the last time. Do it again!’ Els didn’t really mind Noah’s foul mood though; they still had three more days left to practice and they were getting better so she ignored Noah comments and simply tried her best.

 

During the short break, Els walked out of the studio doors and towards the restrooms. As she was walking through the hallway, she heard voices coming from a certain door ahead of her. The voices seemed to be arguing. She was ignoring it at first but then she heard something that sparked her attention. She thought she’d just heard someone say Kelly’s name in there. Now usually, she wouldn’t do something like this but for Kelly’s sake, she went to stand next to the door and listened closely to what the voices were saying. The heat of the argument had apparently already died out a little but the conversation wasn’t over yet.

 

“Listen, I’m sorry okay.” She heard an all too familiar voice say. “But it’s not my fault you know. If you really have a problem with it, why don’t you ask Noah about it? He’s the one that set this up.” She recognized the voice now as Kai’s. Then, another voice joined in. “That’s not what I’m saying Kai, it’s just-” She heard someone sigh. Was that DO? She thought. “You need to relax.” Kai said after a long pause and then, Els had to be quick. She heard DO mutter something along the lines of ‘forget it’ and then she heard footsteps coming in her direction.

 

She the spot and started fast-walking back towards the studio. She heard a door open behind her but kept walking until she was inside the studio again. She had to tell someone about what she’d just heard. She didn’t even really know what it was she had heard but it seemed important. She jogged up to Riki, who was talking to Sehun about the dance. “I need to tell you something.” She whispered, startling the other girl a little. “Is something wrong?” Riki asked, following Els to a more suitable space for a private conversation.

 

She told Riki exactly what she had heard. As she was telling it, she realized for the first time what exactly that conversation had implied. It seemed Riki had come to the same conclusion as Els because by the end of the story, her face was twisted up into a huge grin. “Wow” She said. “Now that is adorable.”

 

“I know” Els smiled. She’d noticed from the beginning DO liked Kelly. The way he would look at her when he listened to her tell stories, or how gleaming he would look when she liked the food he cooked her. And now he was clearly not happy about Kelly dancing with someone other than himself. It all seemed pretty obvious but the funny thing was; Kelly was completely oblivious to all of it. Els figured this was because Kelly was a very logical person and love wasn’t exactly her thing. Still, it was sort of frustrating to see the two of them go on like this, mainly because Els was convinced Kelly liked DO as well. But any time Els mentioned anything about DO liking her, Kelly shrugged it off so quickly, as if Els was being absurd. So in the end, the situation wasn’t as simple as it looked.

 

“Should we tell her?” Riki asked excitedly. “I don’t know.” Els sighed. “She probably wouldn’t even believe us if we did.” Riki pouted in agreement. “You’re right… But it’s so obvious!”

 

On the other side of the room, Noah had started yelling again, which meant rehearsals were staring again. “I think it’s best not to interfere for now.” Els said as they walked over to the others. “Okay.” Riki mumbled. “But they better get it on quickly or I’m going to explode!” Els laughed at her friend’s impatience and walked over to where Baekhyun was standing. They got in place, the music started and they began to dance.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

To the girls delight, practice ended a little earlier than expected. They were let out of the studio at about 9:30 so for once; the girls would be able to get in bed before midnight. Els would have made use of this great opportunity if it wasn’t for Baekhyun. Baekhyun, apparently wasn’t feeling very tired and suggested everyone got together to watch a movie. Most people had other ideas and went to bed immediately but in the end, Baekhyun managed to get a few people to watch Shrek with him.

 

They watched the movie at the girl’s dorm. The full party contained of: Baekhyun, Els, Sen, Riki, Xiumin, Chen, Chanyeol, Suho and Kris.

 

As the movie started, it was clear not everyone was as excited as Baekhyun. Some people didn’t seem to hold out for very long. Suho was yawning throughout the first twenty minutes of the movie and then declared himself too tired to keep watching. He returned to the EXO dorm, telling Chanyeol to come with him. Chanyeol of course ignored the leader as he was still fully alive and kicking. He, along with Baekhyun, thought the movie was hilarious.

 

Xiumin fell asleep with his head against Chen’s shoulder at around 50 minutes into the movie. He started snoring like a troll so Chen woke him up and told him to go home. Kris didn’t seem tired at all but he did look bored out of his mind. He’d stopped paying attention to the movie pretty quickly and turned his attention to Sen. The two kept whispering in quiet conversation together and it was annoying Baekhyun. He kept shushing them resulting in Kris shooting Baekhyun his face and proceeding to murmur things to Sen like nothing had happened.

 

When the movie was over Kris got up went home. Everyone else seemed ready for bed as well but Baekhyun had other plans. “You guys, wait! We haven’t seen the sequel yet!” Els laughed at the boy’s innocent face. Was he being serious? It was still only 11 o ‘clock but Els was getting pretty tired herself. On the other hand, he was giving her this really hopeful and pleading look that made it impossible for her to say no to him. Seriously, no one could ever say no to that face.

 

Riki and Sen declined and went to bed and even Chanyeol and Chen decided that it was time to head back so in the end, it was just Els sitting aside Baekhyun, watching Shrek 2. She didn’t even really care for the movie as she’d seen it before but it was nice spending time with Baekhyun apart from the whole award show thing. She was getting kind of drowsy though on that comfy couch, only barely able to keep her eyes open. Every once in a while, Baekhyun would say something, make a comment about the movie and Els would nod and murmur something back. She felt like she was slowly tumbling deeper and deeper into the couch. She didn’t even notice her head had come to rest against Baekhyun’s shoulder. Baekhyun didn’t seem to mind Els’ lack of attention, as he just smiled down at her on the couch whenever she’d mumble something inaudible back at him.

 

Els was almost drifted off to sleep completely when it happened. In one moment, all the lights went off and the television jumped to a black screen. She hadn’t been that startled by it since she was so drowsy but Baekhyun on the other hand had gotten the full effect of it. He’d let out a scared scream and was now clinging both his hands around Els’ with all his might. When he realized how stupid that must have looked he let go and regained himself. “The power went out.” He said blankly.

 

“Yeah, I noticed.” Els chuckled, stretching out her body. “Let me get a flashlight.” She crawled lazily towards the TV and found the drawer underneath it. She pulled out a large flashlight and clicked it on.

 

With the flashlight as his guidance, Baekhyun walked towards the door and opened it. “It’s just this dorm; the lights in the hallway are still on.” He said. Els had no idea what to do so she just stood there looking at Baekhyun hopefully. “Don’t worry” Baekhyun said reassuringly, as he noticed the look on Els’ face. “We’ve had this happen before.” He came over towards where Els was standing and took the flashlight. He let the light glide around the room and located the small electricity box hanging next to the door. “See, it’s the same as at our dorm.” He said. He pulled the box open and Els could only watch in awe as he fiddled with the buttons inside and after a mere ten seconds or so, the room had filled up with light again. “You did it!” She yelled and then hoped she hadn’t woken her friends up. “Well, my super power isn’t light for no reason.” Baekhyun smiled at her proudly. Els shook her head at the cheesiness of that statement but decided to keep shut.

 

“I guess it’d be best if we went to sleep now huh?” Baekhyun said, yawning. Els smiled. “Yeah, I think the power falling out was a sign.” Els walked Baekhyun to the door. “Sorry for making you stay up this late.” The boy began. “Yeah, well… If I tomorrow at practice, you’re explaining it to Noah.” She answered. He laughed and nodded, giving her that cute face again.

 

“Ok well, goodnight.” He said, flashing her a smile before walking away slowly. He kept waving at her as he walked backwards until he dissapeared behind the door to the stairs. Els let out a massive yawn as she came back into the room. Luckily, she wasn’t obliged to get up super early the next morning, unlike the EXO boys. She tiptoed across the bedroom, trying not to wake Kelly and let herself sink down into her covers and fell asleep at once.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

My endings are getting lame XD It's always the same.. -__- Oh wellsies!

I'll do better next time!! Promish! ^^